USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well of course I condemn homosexuality and same sex marriage. The idea of a Christian supporting it is so foreign to me that I cannot understand how that is possible. I truly hope that someone can give me some rational biblical explanation. Perhaps I am missing something but I really don't see or understand what I am missing to justify same sex marriage.

Ok, you view this as sin, and you condemn it. Nothing wrong with this. Long ago, some people viewed adultery as a sin and condemned it......However, Jesus, did not.

To not condemn, is not the same as supporting. What do you feel about the non-condemnation of Jesus in this case?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know of many Christians, myself included, who support civil same-sex marriage. That provides same-sex couples the ability to deal with a variety of legal issues. Homosexuals deserve the same legal rights as heterosexual couples. I would hope that we would all agree on that.

A church marriage for same-sex couples is a whole different issue. That is a decision for individual churches or denominations.

• Agree
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Bible doesn't present one view of marriage. Some forms of marriage found in the Bible would be illegal today.
Ok, let's talk about those. What other forms of marriage were found in the Bible?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see your point. It would be rather difficult for and individual who supports same sex marriage to explain why they have their view without violating the forum rules. Let me ask a mod to see where this would be best placed.

I dont support, or condemn, the situation you speak of. But God gave us all free will.....and I do support the usage of free will, and do not support it's revocation or the shaming of those who wish to use it differently than I.

Why? Because I would not want it done to me. Imagine if you were shamed and condemned for being a Christian? or Laws were made to prevent you from being a Christian or to stop you from attending a church?

This may happen in the future.......but not because "the end is near" But because we will be reaping what we have sown..............

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok, you view this as sin, and you condemn it. Nothing wrong with this. Long some people viewed adultery as a sin and condemned it......However, Jesus, did not.

To not condemn, is not the same as supporting. What do you feel about the non-condemnation of Jesus in this case?
And what did Jesus say to the adulteress after He forgave her of her sin? "Go forth and continue your life of sin because I won't condemn you"?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a narrow way...and few - there be that find it. This is the path that leads to life.
The wide way -gate - will never lead to life. Many are going in that direction....Many are preaching from pulpits, but will pay for lying to the people. Just as false prophets and teachers in the past. They take the blind along with their blind selves -right into the ditch.

It is very important to note, that those on the wide path, that you speak of, believe that they are on the narrow.........and they tell those on the narrow that they are on the wide path.

To be deceived or blind, you must first know that you have the truth..... This is why self-examination is paramount. I know Im on the wide path, what I have time to talk about those who arent on the narrow.....

Upvote 0

WherevertheWindblows

Dec 30, 2018
City
✟7,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are people who are Christians and people who say they are Christians. God knows the difference. We are also warned about deceivers among us and doctrines of devils. God doesn't design men to prefer men and women to prefer women, it is a consequence, according to Romans 1.

When people accuse you of judging for standing with God, so be it. They are making their bed.
Exactly.

I probably do not understand what is called toxic masculinity that I keep hearing about but the scriptures seem to indicate an exclusion from the Kingdom of God based on more of a toxic effeminity deal.

And God is not a homophobe anymore then I am for agreeing with him

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because I would not want it done to me. Imagine if you were shamed and condemned for being a Christian? or Laws were made to prevent you from being a Christian or to stop you from attending a church?
Do you realize that is what is happening now? Seems that in today's society you're a bigot for holding to Christian values. Free will? Does free will apply to the Christian who refuses to make a cake for a same sex marriage?

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whether you condone it or condemn it I think the important thing to remember is this: love the sinner, hate the sin.

If you think someone is sinning and you close your doors to them, how can you expect them to learn of the truth and Jesus?

You speak truth... but what is the goal? An open door policy, in love, is important, but should we not speak the truth to them in love? I would agree with Vicomte13, but 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 indicates that this is a salvation issue (along with the other forms of sexual immorality), unless they repent. We need to be loving them enough to help them repent, not just gloss over their rebellion and give them a false sense of security.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WherevertheWindblows

Dec 30, 2018
City
✟7,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a question that I have been thinking about the last several days while discussing the topic on another thread. During the discussion, a "Christian" made a statement that it was "ignorant bigotry" to "keep someone from marrying the person they loved". This statement of course involved the marrying of a same sex couple. I will keep the individual anonymous. However, it just baffles me that someone who considers themselves "Christian" would have such an idea. How can a "Christian" rationalize supporting same sex marriage? Furthermore, how then could they at the same time reject polygamy and incest without having to rationalize a double standard?

Edit: I just wanted to add that after doing some research there are hundreds of church denominations and groups that accept LGBTQ individuals into their congregations. However, A few denominations, most notably the Metropolitan Community Churches (MCC), United Church of Christ (UCC), the Presbyterian Church (USA), The Episcopal Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) will perform same sex marriages. Source: gaychurch.org

This would seem in line with the thought of a time coming when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers

Gravitating towards teachers who approve of their lusts

Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is a question that I have been thinking about the last several days while discussing the topic on another thread. During the discussion, a "Christian" made a statement that it was "ignorant bigotry" to "keep someone from marrying the person they loved". This statement of course involved the marrying of a same sex couple. I will keep the individual anonymous. However, it just baffles me that someone who considers themselves "Christian" would have such an idea. How can a "Christian" rationalize supporting same sex marriage? Furthermore, how then could they at the same time reject polygamy and incest without having to rationalize a double standard?

Edit: I just wanted to add that after doing some research there are hundreds of church denominations and groups that accept LGBTQ individuals into their congregations. However, A few denominations, most notably the Metropolitan Community Churches (MCC), United Church of Christ (UCC), the Presbyterian Church (USA), The Episcopal Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) will perform same sex marriages. Source: gaychurch.org
I myself have often wondered how Christians can support Gay Marriage because God certainly doesn't. A fun fact about the denominations you listed they all are suffering from budget deficits and membership decline to the point these denominations will eventually either become so small they can barely support themselves or will cease to exist all together. The ELCA has lost 2 million members in the last 3 years alone. Coincidence?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And what did Jesus say to the adulteress after He forgave her of her sin? "Go forth and continue your life of sin because I won't condemn you"?
Jesus said neither do I condemn thee......You say, "I condemn thee". Whose report should I follow?

Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You speak truth... but what is the goal? An open door policy, in love, is important, but should we not speak the truth to them in love? I would agree with Vicomte13, but 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 indicates that this is a salvation issue (along with the other forms of sexual immorality), unless they repent. We need to be loving them enough to help them repent, not just gloss over their rebellion and give them a false sense of security.

It is important to show them love before you show them truth, so they know your truth doesn’t come from a place of condemnation and negativity but from wanting them to be saved.

• Agree
Reactions: food4thought
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you realize that is what is happening now? Seems that in today's society you're a bigot for holding to Christian values. Free will? Does free will apply to the Christian who refuses to make a cake for a same sex marriage?
Yes is does apply to them as well......and I said so in threads concerning that on this forum. They have every right to refuse.....and I suspect that they will be refused things that they desire because of disagreements in beliefs in the future as well. If your plant apple seeds.......you will reap apples.

And we are free to plant whatever seeds we desire, in our garden.....for it is ours to plant. I dont like squash....but Im totally fine with you planting them, if you so desire.....for who am I to demand that your garden look like mine?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

StrivingFollower

Oct 20, 2017
South
✟35,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is important to show them love before you show them truth, so they know your truth doesn’t come from a place of condemnation and negativity but from wanting them to be saved.
Yup. It'd probably still feel like a shock to them when you eventually told them how it's a sin that should be worked on. Not easy, but that's life.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Way I see it who someone sleeps with is none of my business.

As I said before, I'll never understand why some Christians obsess over what kind of sex gay couples have. That's a little too creepy for me. It's none of my business what goes on behind the closed doors of another consenting adult's bedroom. The love life of other consenting adults is none of my concern.

I know Christians who are in their second, third and fourth marriages. If anyone is destroying the sanctity of a traditional biblical marriage between one woman and one man, it's Christians like that.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Churches should be free to marry whom they see fit, as part of their freedom of religion, but I don't think its just for the state to recognize some people's marriages and not others based on sex. The US Supreme Court agreed.

The Bible doesn't present one view of marriage. Some forms of marriage found in the Bible would be illegal today.

There are EIGHT marriages defined in the Bible.

biblemarriage.jpg

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well I've never understood why our religion was so obsessed over someone else's sex life
Because this topic isn't merely about sex lives. This is about the biblical definition of marriage.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How can a Christian support Donald J. Trump?

I don't take the whining and moaning over homosexuality seriously by the evangelicals who support and defend Donald Trump. I don't take their Christian witness seriously either when they start their preaching about homosexuality being a sin. They support an adulterous philander who bragged about groping multiple women. He also had an affair with a inappropriate content star and then paid her off to silence her and he's in his third marriage to his former mistress. They don't have a moral leg to stand on to complain and whine about homosexuality when they support an unrepentant adulterer like Trump.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.