Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is a question that I have been thinking about the last several days while discussing the topic on another thread. During the discussion, a "Christian" made a statement that it was "ignorant bigotry" to "keep someone from marrying the person they loved". This statement of course involved the marrying of a same sex couple. I will keep the individual anonymous. However, it just baffles me that someone who considers themselves "Christian" would have such an idea. How can a "Christian" rationalize supporting same sex marriage? Furthermore, how then could they at the same time reject polygamy and incest without having to rationalize a double standard?

Edit: I just wanted to add that after doing some research there are hundreds of church denominations and groups that accept LGBTQ individuals into their congregations. However, A few denominations, most notably the Metropolitan Community Churches (MCC), United Church of Christ (UCC), the Presbyterian Church (USA), The Episcopal Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) will perform same sex marriages. Source: gaychurch.org

Last edited:

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Obviously you’re coming at this from condemning homosexuality but I imagine some people will respond oppositely. Is this definitely a sub that allows for such discussion? I think it’s a discussion that needs having and wouldn’t want to see it closed later is all.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a question that I have been thinking about the last several days while discussing the topic on another thread. During the discussion, a "Christian" made a statement that it was "ignorant bigotry" to "keep someone from marrying the person they loved". This statement of course involved the marrying of a same sex couple. I will keep the individual anonymous. However, it just baffles me that someone who considers themselves "Christian" would have such an idea. How can a "Christian" rationalize supporting same sex marriage? Furthermore, how then could they at the same time reject polygamy and incest without having to rationalize a double standard?

There are people who are Christians and people who say they are Christians. God knows the difference. We are also warned about deceivers among us and doctrines of devils. God doesn't design men to prefer men and women to prefer women, it is a consequence, according to Romans 1.

When people accuse you of judging for standing with God, so be it. They are making their bed.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Obviously you’re coming at this from condemning homosexuality but I imagine some people will respond oppositely. Is this definitely a sub that allows for such discussion? I think it’s a discussion that needs having and wouldn’t want to see it closed later is all.
Well of course I condemn homosexuality and same sex marriage. The idea of a Christian supporting it is so foreign to me that I cannot understand how that is possible. I truly hope that someone can give me some rational biblical explanation. Perhaps I am missing something but I really don't see or understand what I am missing to justify same sex marriage.

Edit: I would like to add that I made sure that this topic was posted in the appropriate section that allowed for such a topic to be discussed. I really don't see any reason why it would be closed for anything other than as a result of individual's content.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are people who are Christians and people who say they are Christians. God knows the difference. We are also warned about deceivers among us and doctrines of devils. God doesn't design men to prefer men and women to prefer women, it is a consequence, according to Romans 1.

When people accuse you of judging for standing with God, so be it. They are making their bed.
I agree with what you are saying which is why I put quotation marks around "Christians". But what position does that put the Church (Big C) when so many denominations are performing, recognizing, and condoning same sex marriage?

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with what you are saying. But what position does that put the Church (Big C) when so many denominations are performing, recognizing, and condoning same sex marriage?

I don't agree that everything that hangs a shingle saying "church" is one, just like I don't believe that everyone who calls themselves a Christian is really one from God's perspective. God knows the Truth. I also believe what Jesus said in Rev 2 & 3. The overcomers may be within the buildings, but they overcome, as He shares.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well of course I condemn homosexuality and same sex marriage. The idea of a Christian supporting it is so foreign to me that I cannot understand how that is possible. I truly hope that someone can give me some rational biblical explanation. Perhaps I am missing something but I really don't see or understand what I am missing to justify same sex marriage.

Edit: I would like to add that I made sure that this topic was posted in the appropriate section that allowed for such a topic to be discussed. I really don't see any reason why it would be closed for anything other than as a result of individual's content.

Not absolutely familiar with the rules of this particular sub forum but are you saying that it allows for advocating for homosexual marriage or homosexual relations ? Wouldn't it be likely that someone answering your question would be considered to be advocating for those things to have an explanation of how a Christian could support same sex marriage?

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't agree that everything that hangs a shingle saying "church" is one, just like I don't believe that everyone who calls themselves a Christian is really one from God's perspective. God knows the Truth. I also believe what Jesus said in Rev 2 & 3. The overcomers may be within the buildings, but they overcome, as He shares.
I edited the OP to include a short list of church denominations that have officially accepted same sex marriage.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not absolutely familiar with the rules of this particular sub forum but are you saying that it allows for advocating for homosexual marriage or homosexual relations ? Wouldn't it be likely that someone answering your question would be considered to be advocating for those things to have an explanation of how a Christian could support same sex marriage?
I see your point. It would be rather difficult for and individual who supports same sex marriage to explain why they have their view without violating the forum rules. Let me ask a mod to see where this would be best placed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I sent a message to a mod to review this thread to make sure it is not violating any CF rules. I guess the worst case scenario is that it gets moved from "Christian Ethics and Morality" to "Ethics and Morality". If so, it only seems to affirm the conclusion that it isn't "Christian" to support same sex marriage.

Upvote 0

vinsight4u

Contributor
Aug 8, 2003
✟21,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1Ki 14:24

And there were also sodomites in the land: and they did according to all the abominations of the nations which the LORD cast out before the children of Israel.

1Ki 15:12

And he took away the sodomites out of the land, and removed all the idols that his fathers had made.

1Ki 22:46

And the remnant of the sodomites, which remained in the days of his father Asa, he took out of the land.

2Ki 23:7

And he brake down the houses of the sodomites, that were...

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It seems to me Jesus ethic was centered on compassion so that's the attitude I take as a follower of Jesus.

I can't fully go into the details of how that stance is biblical on this forum but I would imagine out there in actual churches there are alot of folks like me in the pews, especially those my age or younger.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I gather you are condemning homosexuality, incest and polygamy....... the tricky bit is that incest was necessary at the time of Adam and Eve hence condoned......and polygamy was the norm in biblical times.

As for SSM - gee this has been done to death - yes there are Christians who support SSM. The Archbishop of my city supports SSM.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me Jesus ethic was centered on compassion so that's the attitude I take as a follower of Jesus. I am very comfortable supporting SSM as a result.

I can't fully go into the details of how that stance is biblical on this forum but I would imagine out there in actual churches there are alot of folks like me in the pews, especially those my age or younger.
Can you still have compassion for LGBTQ by allowing the state to perform civil unions on a secular level and not redefining the biblical definition of marriage?

Upvote 0

vinsight4u

Contributor
Aug 8, 2003
✟21,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So how did so many churches allow themselves to become so deceived?

Same reason we have great other errors being taught in many many churches.... pre-trib rapture....baptize babies...women over churches...

Pastors sometimes preach what people want to hear, not what God wants them to say. They are teaching the traditions of men, not the written word of God Almighty. Everyone is welcome at our church...we want everybody to come here...dance...play video games...hear what you want to hear, so you don't leave believing that you are a sinner bound for hell. Hell?....You mean that there is a hell?...Yes. Worse -there will later be a lake of fire! People right now are dying without hope...they will never see light...they will never get mercy upon them.....they will never be forgiven...Jesus Christ told the Jews...that He was leaving....and they could not follow Him there. He told His disciples the same type of scenario - as to He was leaving....but He said to them - that later -they will follow Him there.

There is a narrow way...and few - there be that find it. This is the path that leads to life.
The wide way -gate - will never lead to life. Many are going in that direction....Many are preaching from pulpits, but will pay for lying to the people. Just as false prophets and teachers in the past. They take the blind along with their blind selves -right into the ditch.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I gather you are condemning homosexuality, incest and polygamy....... the tricky bit is that incest was necessary at the time of Adam and Eve hence condoned......and polygamy was the norm in biblical times.

As for SSM - gee this has been done to death - yes there are Christians who support SSM. The Archbishop of my city supports SSM.
I know, but what is the rationale for their support? You don't have to say that you are for or against same sex marriage to explain why they believe their position is justifiable? For example, I can go on all day about what Mormons believe and why without supporting Mormonism.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Can you still have compassion for LGBTQ by allowing the state to perform civil unions on a secular level and not redefining the biblical definition of marriage?

Churches should be free to marry whom they see fit, as part of their freedom of religion, but I don't think its just for the state to recognize some people's marriages and not others based on sex. The US Supreme Court agreed.

The Bible doesn't present one view of marriage. Some forms of marriage found in the Bible would be illegal today.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.