• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How best to deal with pushers and saboteurs?

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No you are not the rotten family member for walking away from toxic relationship and abusive people. Yes abusive. They are being abusive to you.

Does Jesus want the sheep to be devoured by wolves? No way.

Upvote 0

MrsBrit

Sep 18, 2013
✟8,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have noticed that the first thing people say when you tell them you're trying to lose weight and can't eat...... Is
"but you're not fat/you don't need to lost weight". Tell them you have a health problem (you do) and you're sticking to the diet your doctor gave you. Treat any other probing remarks with silence and a smile, move away if you have to or change the subject with a smile. When you don't answer rude remarks it puts the other person at a disadvantage and it sounds as though you need to put them in their place which is that this behavior will do.
The best thing a doctor ever said to me when I groaned about wanting to lose weight was "well you can". No other explanation just those three words so I'm passing them along. It worked for me and you can lose weight just don't allow anyone to pressure you into eating things you know you can't have. Keep smiling and stay firm.

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother. <---> Matthew 12:47-50

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just wanted to say that for the past few days, since posting this, everyone in my present-day life has been very cooperative about not offering me food. They're not even doing it the first time, let alone asking me again after I said no. If my husband comes home from work and notices that I'm serving him but not taking anything for myself, all I have to do is explain that I've already eaten, and he accepts that. He works non-traditional hours and may be coming home anywhere from 9:00 PM to midnight.

Asking me the first time leads me into temptation once. Asking me again and again just makes the battle worse--but as I think I've established, there were people in my not-too-distant past who secretly didn't want me to win that battle. This I say because not only is it true for unhealthy foods and overeating, but I've also had them openly tempt me with cigarettes and alcohol when they knew I was trying to quit those things. Some people just don't want me to stop doing something they themselves are still doing. Even if they say they do, they don't. Maybe it's because by successfully quitting, I'm taking away their excuse that it can't be done. If they can get me to slip up and relapse, hey, it's harder than I thought, isn't it? And now they have somebody to commiserate with about how hard it is to quit.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that these people who would do that to me are no longer a part of my life, and that's for good reason. The upsetting thought is that it hasn't been that long ago, and maybe I wouldn't be in the shape I'm in now if I'd wised up and walked away sooner.

Upvote 0