How are we as a people to respond to things like this?

joebudda

Mar 10, 2004
Off The Grid
✟25,919.00
Faith
Atheist
The government are here to protect us. If they didn't enforce these "laws" there would be chaos.

I don't even know how often I have heard people here say pretty much exactly this.

It is government that causes the most chaos because the only means government knows is how to use force and violence to solve "social ills". This is what happens when you allow a group of people more "rights" then everyone else.

Upvote 0

joebudda

Mar 10, 2004
Off The Grid
✟25,919.00
Faith
Atheist
That doesn't mean that all the laws they enforce aren't ridiculous.
Ringo

If you can be punished for breaking a law when you have harmed no one or their property, then that law is a ridiculous law. Because if you are being punished when you haven't violated anyone's individual rights then it is your individual rights that are being violated.

At least these police don't have to worry about making a mistake that runes the lives of others (which is a common occurrence), because their employer will protect them, and even pat them on the back for doing such a great job at "following orders".

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you can be punished for breaking a law when you have harmed no one or their property, then that law is a ridiculous law. Because if you are being punished when you haven't violated anyone's individual rights then it is your individual rights that are being violated.

Marijuana laws would seem to fit this category.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Anovah

Jun 6, 2004
Oregon
✟14,597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
End the war on drugs.

It's not the war on drugs that caused this, that was just the catalyst. Uncontrolled power was the issue here. And no Joe I am not advocating no government.

Upvote 0

AirForceTeacher

King of the Wicker People
Feb 23, 2004
The south
✟20,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's not the war on drugs that caused this, that was just the catalyst. Uncontrolled power was the issue here. And no Joe I am not advocating no government.

Exactly - without the war on drugs, it would be the war on terror, or the war on illegal immigration or the war on pink daisy afghans on lime green couches. It's about the feeling that your position in government makes you more powerful, more right, more entitled.

We as a nation, as a people must make the rule of law holy writ, as it once was, and nothing can supercede it.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist
Exactly - without the war on drugs, it would be the war on terror, or the war on illegal immigration or the war on pink daisy afghans on lime green couches. It's about the feeling that your position in government makes you more powerful, more right, more entitled.

We as a nation, as a people must make the rule of law holy writ, as it once was, and nothing can supercede it.

I think one of the first things that would help is make government figures more replaceable.

Here in Holland, high placed individuals in the government, and entire governments, are often replaced. If you do something illegal: you're fired. If something bad happens that you were supposed to be preventing: you're fired. If the people lose trust in you: you're fired. If you're making a mess and not being efficient in your job: you're fired.

Basically, as soon as it comes out that you, or someone you are responsible for, is not doing their job properly: you're fired. (or better: you should resign yourself)

(case in point: I skimmed the article (too much melodramatic "Oh we love our dogs!1!" stuff, not enough news, on the first page anyway), but from what I read, this situation would certainly have cost some minister or high-up-police-guy his job here)

End result: you don't get much of the borderline-illegal stuff that is happening in the US government. It still happens of course, but when it comes out the person responsible.. is fired.

I think this different attitude in governing comes from the government structure. The two party system in the US that is in charge in all branches of government leads to the lack of accountability imho. There's always the feeling that, as long as your party holds the majority in the senate/courts/whatever, you can get away with (borderline) illegal stuff.

Compare that with a multi-party system, where any person doing something stupid might be covered by his own party, but all the other parties will try to get you fired, and the other parties combined always have more power than a single party.

(and I personally also like a monarch, who stands outside all the party politics, and just looks at "ok, is it acceptable what happens here?", and who has the power to send the entire government home in case the answer is "no".)

Or concluding: in a system where the power is spread over more groups, people can more easily be fired for stupid things by the other groups, and will thus try to prevent doing said stupid things. In a system where the power sometimes lies with a single group for 4+ years, people might do some more stupid things with the idea that they will be covered by their friends and colleagues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

blueapplepaste

the purpose of life is a life of purpose
Jun 7, 2005
Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And people wonder why I think pigs aren't to be trusted or respected. These people should be hung like the terrorists they are.

99% of cops are good, honest, working people just trying to do their job. But yeah, guys like this ruin it for them all.

Upvote 0