House Intel chair Turner (R-OH) warns of 'serious national security threat' ahead of planned White House briefing

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
WASHINGTON — House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Turner, R-Ohio, released an unusual statement Wednesday warning of a "serious national security threat" without providing additional details, pre-empting what the White House said was a planned briefing for congressional leaders.

"Today, the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence has made available to all Members of Congress information concerning a serious national security threat," Turner wrote in the statement.

White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan addressed Turner's statement at a press briefing a short time later and suggested he was perplexed by the congressman's statement because they already had a briefing planned for Thursday. A U.S. official confirmed that the Thursday briefing is related to the threat highlighted by Turner.

A Democratic source familiar with the threat told NBC News: "This is a serious issue that could lead to a destabilizing situation and a national security threat."

The source described it as a “potential foreign threat” but would not identify where the threat is coming from.

Rep. Jim Himes, D-Conn., ranking member on the House Intelligence Committee, said that there's no reason to panic.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Two sources familiar with the matter and a US official tell CNN the threat is related to Russia.

One of the sources who has seen the intelligence confirmed that “it is, in fact, a highly concerning and destabilizing” Russian capability “that we were recently made aware of.”

Hmmm.... that suggests to me the Russian's hypersonic missile, which may have just been used for the first time in Ukraine.

Experts say the Zircon, if it lives up to what the Russian government says about it, is a formidable weapon.

Its hypersonic speed makes it invulnerable to even the best Western missile defenses, like the Patriot, according to the United States-based Missile Defense Advocacy Alliance (MDAA).

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
WASHINGTON — House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Turner, R-Ohio, released an unusual statement Wednesday warning of a "serious national security threat" without providing additional details, pre-empting what the White House said was a planned briefing for congressional leaders.

"Today, the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence has made available to all Members of Congress information concerning a serious national security threat," Turner wrote in the statement.

White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan addressed Turner's statement at a press briefing a short time later and suggested he was perplexed by the congressman's statement because they already had a briefing planned for Thursday. A U.S. official confirmed that the Thursday briefing is related to the threat highlighted by Turner.

A Democratic source familiar with the threat told NBC News: "This is a serious issue that could lead to a destabilizing situation and a national security threat."

The source described it as a “potential foreign threat” but would not identify where the threat is coming from.

Rep. Jim Himes, D-Conn., ranking member on the House Intelligence Committee, said that there's no reason to panic.

Mike Turner should resign from the Committee. What he did was highly inappropriate as the Chariman of the House Intelligence Comittee.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mike Turner should resign from the Committee. What he did was highly inappropriate as the Chariman of the House Intelligence Comittee.
I'm glad he did, the government hides enough information from the American people. But I already know how the world will end.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad he did, the government hides enough information from the American people. But I already know how the world will end.

Think about it the precedence his actions would set -- any member of the House or Senate Intelligence Committees could arbitrarily decide to release information. That isn't their role. In this case, the National Security Advisor had a meeting already planned with members from both committees...tomorrow.

Now we have the press and others speculating on what the threat may be. It's irresponsible.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
What he did was highly inappropriate as the Chariman of the House Intelligence Comittee.
I feel like a chump. I read about the hypersonic missile yesterday and (though concerning) didn't make a thread about it (though I did 4 years ago when Russia first started waving hypersonic missiles around). If that's what this is about, Turner is being deliberately alarming, and I fell for it.

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now we have the press and others speculating on what the threat may be. It's irresponsible.
I speculated about the threat when I first heard about it.
I feel like a chump.
I feel like a bigger chump because I didn't hear about it until last year. The threat is real if we can't defend against it.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,559.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

I feel like a bigger chump because I didn't hear about it until last year. The threat is real if we can't defend against it.
I'm skeptical we can't defend against it. Russia came public with this capability over 5 years ago and I'm sure we knew about it before then. That gives a lot of time to develop a way to counter it.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm skeptical we can't defend against it. Russia came public with this capability over 5 years ago and I'm sure we knew about it before then. That gives a lot of time to develop a way to counter it.
I'm sure we are working on it like crazy and I wish I still worked at where I used to work then I'd know. Here is a little info about hypersonic and it doesn't mention defense capabilities.
"America only has plans to develop new conventional, or non-nuclear, hypersonic weapons at this point, and that poses larger technical challenges than fielding nuclear ones.

"Nuclear weapons, as you can imagine, don’t need to be nearly as accurate because of the relative size of their blast radius. A conventional weapon, on the other hand, carries a smaller destructive yield, and as such, must be more accurate in order to destroy its target."

“The U.S. focus relative to hypersonic weapons is on the delivery of conventional weapons while Russia and China are more likely to use hypersonic missiles for nuclear payloads,” explained George Nacouzi, a senior Engineer at the RAND Corporation."

"It seems clear that the conversation about the modern hypersonic arms race has been slightly skewed by a combination of confusion about the latest defense buzzword and maybe even some good old fashioned media sensationalism. But to call that the end of this story would mean ignoring the Mach 5 elephant in the room: America’s hypersonic weapons programs have been riddled with failure in recent years."

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will say that since I've come to this forum you all have educated me on various subjects and this is one of them. This causes me to look stuff up. I know the reason why some articles are posted is just to keep your political warfare going. This thread has enlightened me to the fact that countries who hate us are overtaking America in war technologies. I am interested in this so I'll have an early warning to stick my head between my legs to kiss it goodbye. Peace Out

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
House Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., later attempted to quell any panic caused by Turner's statement by explaining that last month, he sent a letter to the White House "requesting a meeting with the president to discuss a serious national security issue that is classified."

"In response to that letter, a meeting is now scheduled tomorrow on this matter here at the Capitol with the Gang of Four and with the president's national security adviser, Jake Sullivan," Johnson said.

--

Great, a meeting scheduled weeks ago gets preempted by Turner's announcement to the public.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
House Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., later attempted to quell any panic caused by Turner's statement by explaining that last month, he sent a letter to the White House "requesting a meeting with the president to discuss a serious national security issue that is classified."

"In response to that letter, a meeting is now scheduled tomorrow on this matter here at the Capitol with the Gang of Four and with the president's national security adviser, Jake Sullivan," Johnson said.

--

Great, a meeting scheduled weeks ago gets preempted by Turner's announcement to the public.
I'm beginning to think that Speaker Johnson may not be very good at these things.

Upvote 0

Christopher0121

Brother In Christ
Jun 28, 2011
Ohio
✟35,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Think about it the precedence his actions would set -- any member of the House or Senate Intelligence Committees could arbitrarily decide to release information. That isn't their role. In this case, the National Security Advisor had a meeting already planned with members from both committees...tomorrow.

I'm from Ohio and support Turner. It might be that he feels this is so important, he wants public pressure to release the information heavy as he goes into the meeting. I think it is an excellent strategy to flex pressure, especially if Turner believes his request will be dismissed. It's actually a rather bold move.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At any given time, and for the last 70 years, there have been any number of grave nuclear threats to the US, and some of them have been pretty darned immediate. That's why the members of the Congresstional Intelligence committees have security clearances. There's no need to declassify them all.

In many cases, the fact we know a threat exists automatically reveals how we know it...and leads them to hide it better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We've never been able to defend against a general nuclear strike. That's why the US nuclear triad exists as a "dead man switch."

Upvote 0