Horror anime ( some content that may get mentioned may not be for kids )

SkovandOfMitzae

Apr 17, 2022
Southeastern USA
✟8,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
This is not a kid’s anime. Nothing I’m going to type will be adult oriented but the anime itself is not for kids.

I am a big horror fan and that extends to anime. Does anyone in here have any favorite horror anime? I like many but my all time favorite by far , since 2011 , is the Higurashi When They Cry series which includes several different titles and many of the titles have multiple seasons. They also bleed into other series related to their universe. But in addition to the horror the main reason why it’s my favorite is because ultimately it’s about love and friendship conquering evil.

I also am a big fan of Red Garden, Shiki , Mermaid forest and Elfen Lied ( which is probably the one on this list most directed towards adults )

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I watch horror anime more with a supernatural element, though I don't remember the last one besides Kemono Jihen in Winter 2021. Very disturbing imagery and something I think would be pretty enjoyable to an audience that wants more of that, yet it's not considered horror, strictly, it seems, more Supernatural.

Checked my MAL and looks like there is stuff I watched that fell under it without me necessarily realizing: Dorohedoro, Mahou Shoujo Site, Tomie, even Ousama Game: The animation, which felt more Suspense/Thriller with the setup.

Itou Junji Collection was nice, though bigger fans criticized it, supposedly

Upvote 0

SkovandOfMitzae

Apr 17, 2022
Southeastern USA
✟8,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I watch horror anime more with a supernatural element, though I don't remember the last one besides Kemono Jihen in Winter 2021. Very disturbing imagery and something I think would be pretty enjoyable to an audience that wants more of that, yet it's not considered horror, strictly, it seems, more Supernatural.

Checked my MAL and looks like there is stuff I watched that fell under it without me necessarily realizing: Dorohedoro, Mahou Shoujo Site, Tomie, even Ousama Game: The animation, which felt more Suspense/Thriller with the setup.

Itou Junji Collection was nice, though bigger fans criticized it, supposedly

i really like Junji Ito’s stuff as well. Me and my fiancée have read 2-3 of his larger collections together. I really liked Tomi. Currently reading “ No Longer Human “. One of the tattoos I want to get is actually inspired by his work. I’m looking forward to his “chair” short. I’ve not watched the anime based off his manga yet. I’ve only read the manga of several of them so far. Have two shirts from spiral on it. Someone said their is a life action of Tomi I will actually try to find tonight and that there may be a tv series in works on sky tv or something based on Tomi.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
i really like Junji Ito’s stuff as well. Me and my fiancée have read 2-3 of his larger collections together. I really liked Tomi. Currently reading “ No Longer Human “. One of the tattoos I want to get is actually inspired by his work. I’m looking forward to his “chair” short. I’ve not watched the anime based off his manga yet. I’ve only read the manga of several of them so far. Have two shirts from spiral on it. Someone said their is a life action of Tomi I will actually try to find tonight and that there may be a tv series in works on sky tv or something based on Tomi.
I still have Smashed, I believe, got it for Christmas, but it's sat there, same as Mermaid Forest, which I bought both of the omnibuses, so I can read it as needed, but...too much manga and anime already on my plate

Uzumaki's getting an adaptation proper, supposedly, though I recall Gyo already has one I haven't watched, I have both of those manga omnibuses and I just need to finish the Tomie chapters that weren't in the volumes I read via fansubs

Probably is a live action of a handful of Junji Ito's stuff, but I imagine more of his profit is from the many compilations, though not sure if those are also in Japan or more an English publishing tactic

Upvote 0

SkovandOfMitzae

Apr 17, 2022
Southeastern USA
✟8,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Nice. I don’t get around to tv much , maybe a movie a week or every other week. A episode almost every night usually. I enjoy anime and manga but I may only watch 1-3 anime series a year depending on their length. I maybe read 6 manga a year. Just bought the complete Elfen Lied manga series and will finish that this next few months. Mostly read novels as far as fiction does and just started “the only good Indians” by Stephen Jones.

Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Nice. I don’t get around to tv much , maybe a movie a week or every other week. A episode almost every night usually. I enjoy anime and manga but I may only watch 1-3 anime series a year depending on their length. I maybe read 6 manga a year. Just bought the complete Elfen Lied manga series and will finish that this next few months. Mostly read novels as far as fiction does and just started “the only good Indians” by Stephen Jones.
I recall how Elfen Lied's anime had to do an original ending with the manga still ongoing at the time (and a 12 episode series at that made it awkward moreso than a 26 episode run, like the original Fruits Basket versus the remake recently)

Upvote 0

SkovandOfMitzae

Apr 17, 2022
Southeastern USA
✟8,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I recall how Elfen Lied's anime had to do an original ending with the manga still ongoing at the time (and a 12 episode series at that made it awkward moreso than a 26 episode run, like the original Fruits Basket versus the remake recently)
Yeah the clock scene. I believe it was because the anime caught up to the manga and the manga went on break and so they ended it in a way they thought they could reopen it down the road. The manga is now complete though I believe. I bought “ 4 complete volumes “‘that each held a few volumes. Got it on the same day I got a three large set of the comic “ Elf Quest “. That was maybe a year ago and since then I’ve read two of the elfen lied volumes and a few chapters of the first elf quest. I mostly read nonfiction. Lots of books on science , especially botany and Alabama’s natural history. Then secondly I read fictional
Novels which are mostly horror and then lastly comes in manga and comics.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Yeah the clock scene. I believe it was because the anime caught up to the manga and the manga went on break and so they ended it in a way they thought they could reopen it down the road. The manga is now complete though I believe. I bought “ 4 complete volumes “‘that each held a few volumes. Got it on the same day I got a three large set of the comic “ Elf Quest “. That was maybe a year ago and since then I’ve read two of the elfen lied volumes and a few chapters of the first elf quest. I mostly read nonfiction. Lots of books on science , especially botany and Alabama’s natural history. Then secondly I read fictional
Novels which are mostly horror and then lastly comes in manga and comics.

I would recommend something, but not sure how easily available it is, since it wasn't printed by a big publisher. And I can only speak on what I've read of the 6 volumes, but it's called the Manga Bible (which isn't helpful when I'm pretty sure there are others), starting with, in publication order, Manga Messiah, but chronologically, you'd start with Manga Mutiny. Does a pretty good job of adapting the bible and giving a new way to see the story with the manga style (but reading right to left).

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Would the Boogiepop series be a horror series? I watched a few episodes of the 2019 version, but didn't finish the whole thing.
It's definitely considered horror under MAL, but I swear some series need the Horror genre and don't have it, like Muhyo and Rouji's Supernatural Investigation Bureau. Can't wait for the next season, since the manga's been done for...over 10 years, if not 15 almost

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TruthInLight

Sep 28, 2018
Portland
✟33,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
Higurashi was a horror series, or had horror aspects, that was true for a portion of the time in 2006-2007 run and parts of Gou. But it slowly got away from that when Satoko could do the same thing that Rika does and became just like the guy on Redo of Healer. When Satoko had power. In Higurashi Sotsu it got to a point that it turned into Dragon Ball Z/Super, and also like the Fate series.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TruthInLight

Sep 28, 2018
Portland
✟33,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
This is an anime I recently watched. It's called Dark Gathering. I'm posting the opening for the show.

Both of them are the same song but different versions for each of the video.

Dark Gathering has horror and sometimes mystery. As the series goes on, it gets into the routine of the beat up on the monster/bad guy thing. The show also has humor/comedy to balance the mood and its tone.

Upvote 0

LeafByNiggle

Jul 20, 2021
Minneapolis
✟174,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to go out on a limb and mention Satoshi Kon's movies, of which I have seen two: Millennium Actress and Paprika. Millennium Actress is not really horror, but Paprika definitely has some horror aspects to it. People have noted the similarity between Paprika and Christopher Nolan's famous "Inception" movie. Both movies involve shared dreaming, but Paprika came out 4 years before Inception, leading some to speculate that Christopher Nolan was inspired by Paprika in the making of Inception, although he denies it. He certainly must have been aware of the movie though. I think Paprika is a good movie, but be advised there is an attempted rape scene and some brief nudity in the dream sequence. Sadly, this was Satoshi Kon's final movie as he died 4 years after Paprika was released at the age of 46. He also made a movie called Perfect Blue that I have not seen, but I have watched a few scenes on YouTube are read about it. It does not sound like the kind of movie I want to subject myself to. It is a sad story about a pop star who wants to become an actress, but looses her grip on reality and becomes psychotic. Apparently the audience is shown the world through her eyes so we are also deceived. There are gruesome and bloody deaths and a not-very uplifting ending, so I think I will skip that one. But I do recommend Paprika, as it is only mildly a horror movie.

paprika.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟246,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
I'd call Puella Magi Madoka Magica a horror series. It's often referred to as a psychological thriller or suspense instead, but if you think about what happens to the girls in the show, there's a good argument for horror there.

Upvote 0