✟30,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Divorced
GOD CONTROLS NATURE

I am not the only voice warning about ignoring the O.T. There are others, besides myself, and there are more than you would think, but most people are not aware of these voices. People usually come across these by happenstance, not because of searching. All of us that try to warn others about this is not because "we came up with this in our imagination, it is our opinion or because of personal interpretation." This is an understanding based on the study of Scripture. The ONLY WAY to comprehend the N.T. is to learn what is taught in the O.T. This is a fact, not speculation! Things that were established in the O.T. were fulfilled in the N.T. But what was established is not limited to the coming of Jesus or the end of the world. You can also understand that what is seen in the O.T. false teaching, the wickedness of man, how God operates, the way believers live and think compared to how the wicked live and think, etc., are still going on today! I am quoting a man named Joshua Heavin, found on the site, Mere Orthodoxy, mereorthodoxy.com. I use caps for emphasis.

"Even amongst the most Bible-oriented churches, many of us spend the bulk of our time teaching and preaching from the New Testament rather than the Old. Moreover, when preaching and teaching from the N.T., preachers and teachers often rely mainly on PERSONAL STORIES or POP CULTURE REFERENCES for illustrations RATHER THAN THE O.T... this arguably HINDERS disciples from becoming trained to make connections across our canon of sacred writings. But additionally, it is very easy for us to functionally MUTE or SUBVERT the distinct voices contributing to the biblical canon's symphony. Although we may be preaching from Habakkuk or Ezra, we can easily preach these texts only as illustrations of some aspect of Paul's or John's theology, and in so doing, we BLUNT the integrity of distinct, holographic witness to the One God revealed in our sacred library..."

One has to be able to connect the dots present in the O.T. and N.T. This is why I am doing this series of studies about "The Real God," to show the God that is revealed in Scripture.

From an article by Bob Deffinbaugh, titled "Bad Reasons to not read the O.T.," found on Bible.org
"Quite frankly, the EXCUSES I have heard for why Christians don't read or study the O.T. are almost as laughable. My goal is to persuade you to read, study, and even teach the O.T., but in order to accomplish this goal I must first deal with some of most common EXCUSES that are offered for IGNORING this part of the Bible.

1 The O.T. Is Out Of Date And Obsolete Because We Are Now Under The New Covenant.

He lists other reasons, but this is a main point, one major reason for ignoring the O.T. Other main reasons are: what the O.T. condemns are things that are now welcomed, tolerated and encouraged. A free pass to sin. The O.T. teaches that God hates sin and that people are held accountable for their own sin. Today, people are taught that God will always forgive sin, because of His "grace." The idea of what "sin" is has been softened in the church world today. If I could, I would remove the main Greek word for "sin" used in the N.T., " hamartano." Why? Because of the definition of this word; "to miss the mark." This definition is the favorite explanation of sin, a definition that extremely weakens and tones down what sin is. That when you sin, you are just a "little off, that sin is not that big of a deal. Sin is much more than simply "missing the mark." How I wish that Pro 6:16-19 was quoted numerous times in the N.T.! Folks, God's attitude in Pro 6:16-19 is still in effect today!

Mainly because of teaching that the book of Job is an actual, historical event, rather than wisdom literature, a made-up story, in the form of a story or play, (which it is!) that teaches things about life on earth and the sovereignty of God, people think, based on Job 1:16 and 1:18-19, that the devil can control the weather and nature. This is nonsense!

Gen 2:5, 6:17, 7:1.
Ex 3:2, 9:23.
Lev 10:1-2.
Num 16:29-33,35
Deut 8:1,15, 28:22
Josh 10:7-13, 24:12
Judges 6:36-40
1Sam 12:14-18
1Kings 18:31-38.
Job 12:15, 37:10
Isa 38:4-8
Psa 74:15-17, 78:21-29,89:9,135:7,148:8
Jer 10:13
Dan 3:25,6:13-27
Hag 1:7-11.
Mk 4:39.

Outside of Job, a work of fiction, a type of long fable or parable, used to teach about God and the life of man, where do you find the devil controlling weather or nature? As I was typing this, I heard yet another "sermon" on how "Satan" is planning to destroy your life." Where does that come from? It isn't taught in Scripture! It comes from treating the book of Job as a historical event! I am going to address the incorrect teaching that "Satan" is present in the book of Job in my next post!