• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Honest questions?

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by LewisWildermuth, Jun 16, 2002.

1. CaliforniaSun

CaliforniaSun Well-Known Member

+41
    Atheist
    Private
    It's important to remember that these are poeple who are waiting and welcoming an 'apocolypse.'

2. Nathan Poe

Nathan Poe Well-Known Member

+1,589
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat
    People looking for meaning in the next "life," having failed to find any in this one -- I keep forgetting that.

3. CaliforniaSun

+41
    Atheist
    Private
    Indentured servants in this life... partying with god in the next life. ^_^

4. AV1611VET

AV1611VET BELIEVE IN MIRACLES Supporter

+41,599
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I thought I said I did.

5. AV1611VET

AV1611VET BELIEVE IN MIRACLES Supporter

+41,599
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    "Suture self", the doctor said.

6. Nathan Poe

+1,589
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat
    I prefer to think of it as "spending every waking moment of this life telling God how wonderful He is, and looking forward to an eternity of doing the exact same thing."

7. Nathan Poe

+1,589
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat
    I assumed you were joking -- accepting that story as historical fact only means the turnip trucks have come in early this year.

8. CaliforniaSun

+41
    Atheist
    Private
  9. Hespera

Hespera Junior Member

+180
    Buddhist
    Private
    sheesh someone stole my 'suture self"' line

10. plindboe

plindboe Senior Member

+151
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    Christians really confuse me sometimes. They believe this planet is nothing but a doormat to wipe their feet until they die and the real and much better existence begins, yet they act like they don't want to die and say puzzling things about needing strength and courage to die. In the christian belief system there should be no greater gift than death.

Peter :)

11. Nathan Poe

+1,589
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat
    It is strange, isn't it? They all talk a good "stop the world; I want to get off!"when they know the rest of us are listening, but when the excrement hits the air conditioner...

12. Tinker Grey

Tinker Grey Wanderer Supporter

+3,586
    Atheist
    Were I to answer in AV's place, I'd say it is not death that I'm afraid of but rather dying. If I were to be tortured to death and felt strongly that I should resist saying that they want me to say, I should certainly "hope for strength."

13. dad

dad Undefeated! Supporter

+1,221
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    I have a question...what is 'evolution' according to you? When did it start? How do you think you know..:( ?

14. Son of the King

Son of the King Member

+4
    Christian
    Married
    Philippians 1:21
    For to me to live [is] Christ, and to die [is] gain.

1 Corinthians 15: 50-58
    Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption. Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
    Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

15. Jazer

Jazer Guest

+0
    Human faith has value. If human faith has value then all the more God's divine faith has value. Human faith has been sold by motivationalists. It is used in sports, business even education. Some people call it positive thinking. Science can well document how worthwhile it is for every test they perform using a placebo.

16. Gracchus

Gracchus Senior Veteran

+753
    Pantheist
    Single
    US-Others
    For instance, it may allow cowards to function, after a fashion.
    Faith is worse than useless, when it blinds you to reality.
    Snake oil laced with opium has been sold too. Makes you feel good, even when you are living a wretched life, or when you are dying. That's probably why Marx called religion the opium of the people.
    Some people call it (bless, do not curse)(bless, do not curse).
    But you know what? Real treatment beats the placebo effect! Real treatment combined with the placebo effect works really well, better than placebo alone.

:wave:

17. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+9,562
    Agnostic
    Married

How could an omniscient god have faith? It rather directly contradicts the concept of both I would think.

18. Jazer

Jazer Guest

+0
    Faith is both a gift and a fruit of the Holy Spirit. All Born Again people know the difference between human faith and God's Divine Faith.

19. Gracchus

Gracchus Senior Veteran

+753
    Pantheist
    Single
    US-Others
    And if they don't know it, they are not truly "born again", right?

There is a difference of course. Human "faith" can be observed, and it sometimes has real, observable (and often, undesirable) consequences. No qualities or attributes of God can be observed.

:wave:

20. Nathan Poe

+1,589
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat
    So that's why you can't explain it...