Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,732.00
Faith
Atheist
Until you Internet scientists can come up with a better explanation that I can incorporate into my Boolean standards, I'll stick to that explanation that Jesus was born of a virgin so He wouldn't have the sin nature.

I like to know where in the Bible the bolded portion is substantiated. As best I recollect, only Matthew and Luke mention the virgin birth and neither give a reason.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,732.00
Faith
Atheist
And following on my previous post, if I'm right about only Matt. and Lk., then it is worth noting that neither Mark, nor John, nor Peter, nor Paul, nor the author of Hebrews, nor any of the authors that pretended to be Paul or Peter, nor even Jesus himself ever mention the virgin birth.

Upvote 0

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Finish this sentence please:

A man begets a man, a leopard begets a leopard, God begets _________.
... a demigod? Unless the fortunate lady is also divine, which monotheism kind of disallows.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7358571-21/#post52029903

Of course, in your insistance that "sin nature" is only in the father's DNA, and your proud ignorance of the nature of DNA, you insisted that you weren't specifying the Y chromosome, in spite of the fact that would be the only DNA "part" unique to a father.
I think I've figured it out. Sin nature is imprinted. That way, you can have something only males can pass on but everyone expresses.

There. I want my Nobel Prize.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,465.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Ain't that a shame?

Perhaps the Bible does belong in science class after all?

Then maybe -- just maybe -- someone would find this elusive sin nature that can't be genetically located?

After all the trouble Christians went through to exclude it specifically because it fails miserably when held to scientific standards? I doubt your fellows would be to happy with the results AV.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Ain't that a shame?

Then maybe -- just maybe -- someone would find this elusive sin nature that can't be genetically located?
Why should anyone in biology, or in any scientific discipline at all take remotely seriously your interest in having our 'sin nature' pinpointed? Why should anyone even care that you think it exists? Why should anyone even think that it might exist?

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Ain't that a shame?

What for?

Sin isn't genetic -- it's a theological fabrication. No Christianity = no sin.

You don't need scientists to find something that the priests pulled out of their hat.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Why is it so important Jesus' mum never had sex? What's so special about that anyway. And even if she was a 'virgin,' that doesn't make anything Jesus true.

And considering the (at least) six other children she had (Mark 6:3), not only did she not stay a virgin for long, she made up for it with a vengeance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
As long as the topic is honest questions, AV, may I ask you a quetion about honesty?

If you asked me to describe a moment from my childhood, and I talked about the time I ran away from civilization by floating down the Mississippi River on a wooden raft with a black man named Jim, would you be likely to believe that story?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nope -- "Sin" is disobedience against God. Since I don't believe in God -- or at the very least, not in your God -- there's no way I can disobey.
WOW -- And I'm narcissistic?

Let me see if I can connect the dots here, Nathan.

You reject 'my divinity' and substitute your own.

Then you claim 'sin' is disobedience against 'my God'.

So then, in order for you to sin, you would have to sin against your own substituted divinity -- is this correct?

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
WOW -- And I'm narcissistic?

Let me see if I can connect the dots here, Nathan.

You reject 'my divinity' and substitute your own.

Then you claim 'sin' is disobedience against 'my God'.

So then, in order for you to sin, you would have to sin against your own substituted divinity -- is this correct?

As usual, AV -- you're not even close.

I'm afraid you've taken the clever play on words in my profile and taken it literally -- not the first time nor the last you've bungled an interpretation.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm afraid you've taken the clever play on words in my profile and taken it literally -- not the first time nor the last you've bungled an interpretation.
Oh, I see -- your tagline is just a clever play on words?

So you're not really another Father Divine, I take it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh, I see -- your tagline is just a clever play on words?

That's right, AV -- a play on Adam Savage's famous quote, "I reject your reality and subtitute my own!"

Considering the nature of this forum and the people I commonly debate with, I found that substituting "divinity" fits the mood quite nicely without altering the scanison.

So you're not really another Father Divine, I take it?

Nope -- and had you known anything about context before commenting, you might have avoided completely blowing the interpretation.

But of course, being proudly ignorant of context has been your Hermeneutic style ever since you came on these boards, hasn't it?

(well, that and "234, 235, 236, 237. . . 521, 522, 523. . .")

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's right, AV -- a play on Adam Savage's famous quote, "I reject your reality and subtitute my own!"
I confess -- I don't even know who Adam Savage is; so his 'famous quote' must not be so famous; but then, I kinda live a somewhat hermetic lifestyle too, if you know what I'm saying.

But getting back to your tagline, I take it then you don't really reject 'my divinity'?

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
I confess -- I don't even know who Adam Savage is; so his 'famous quote' must not be so famous; but then, I kinda live a somewhat hermetic lifestyle too, if you know what I'm saying.

But getting back to your tagline, I take it then you don't really reject 'my divinity'?

Oh my, AV -- you really need to learn when to let a joke go; people are going to think you couldn't get the broad side of a point.

Any chance you could set it aside long enough to respond to post 131?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh my, AV -- you really need to learn when to let a joke go; people are going to think you couldn't get the broad side of a point.
For calling it a joke, you seem to put a lot of stock into it.

Your peanut-gallery remarks, which are very low in information content, but high in ridicule, seems to belie the fact that you are indeed becoming a reflection of your own tagline.
Any chance you could set it aside long enough to respond to post 131?
I'll go take a look at it and get right back to you.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you asked me to describe a moment from my childhood, and I talked about the time I ran away from civilization by floating down the Mississippi River on a wooden raft with a black man named Jim, would you be likely to believe that story?
Yes -- but don't expect me to believe you if you say I was the one who whitewashed your fence for you.

Upvote 0