Colorado
✟33,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I attended -and no judgement on any denominations here but attended a pentacostal church for a while often times seeing people supposedly healed , fainting and so on. I do believe in the power of God and the Holy Spirit. Once I went with a group to a pastor/ healers/ prophesies home for a teaching it very much creeped me out as the only method was pulling of the leg to heal then it "grows" at one point everyone started laughing hysterically at another service someone I believed to be a man of God laid back eyes shut, started shaking upon "waking" laughing again. All these things followed by comments of being filled with the Holy Spirit. I at first could feel an occasional warmth throughout my body even though these places were seriously I believe intentionally cold, at the end, I was becoming every time very lightheaded and dizzy.I understand only a lil of such things . My question was going to be might I have let in some wrong spirits yet I know that my God will protect and sustain me! Comments?

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I have researched the revival...

1. The Methodist revival was best around the time of the Civil War
2. The Pentecostal revival was best around the world wars.

The old timers would tell you that if you got sanctified that the Baptism was not that far away. To get sanctified, or to get religion as the old Methodist would call it, the experience would come with a sweet Christ like spirit, or they would tell you that you do not have it yet, come back tomorrow night! And smile a little as they would say it. An old story goes of a farmer seeking this blessing, while plowing wind rows, the horse would veer a little and he would get angry. The wife would then holler out the door, "Not yet honey! Not yet!" When you got sanctified the first ones to know about it will be the family pets, instead of kicking them you will rub them and show a little love.

The old timers would tell you that when you got good and sanctified that the baptism was not that far away. And once people went through to the Holy Spirit all the blessings were unique. Discernment... If E = mc2 then we can divide and conclude that...

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2) And there are three varieties...

Natural E/c2 - All mass is basically cooled plasma, the sun is the visible form of E/c2
Mental E/c2 - Our thinking can produce creativeness, light, and good things
Spiritual E/c2 - E (motivation, warmth, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy)

The Natural E/c2 in the form of mass produces a gravity that attracts other objects
The Intellectual E/c2 produces a gravity that draws us to study
The Spiritual E/c2 also has a gravity that draws and makes religion attractive

The true spiritual E/c2 has a warmth and a light about it, making the blessing appealing, and motivating others to get it as well. If the blessing is not of God there will be no E (motivation, warmth, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy), but rather a strange experience, or outright darkness. The Apostle Paul calls these things fruits of the Spirit, and it is very important that they follow the blessing.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I attended -and no judgement on any denominations here but attended a pentacostal church for a while often times seeing people supposedly healed , fainting and so on. I do believe in the power of God and the Holy Spirit. Once I went with a group to a pastor/ healers/ prophesies home for a teaching it very much creeped me out as the only method was pulling of the leg to heal then it "grows" at one point everyone started laughing hysterically at another service someone I believed to be a man of God laid back eyes shut, started shaking upon "waking" laughing again. All these things followed by comments of being filled with the Holy Spirit. I at first could feel an occasional warmth throughout my body even though these places were seriously I believe intentionally cold, at the end, I was becoming every time very lightheaded and dizzy.I understand only a lil of such things . My question was going to be might I have let in some wrong spirits yet I know that my God will protect and sustain me! Comments?
“Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” (Matthew 7:21–23) (KJV 1900)

It's not the mainstream churches Jesus describes here.

Upvote 0

Seadish

Oct 16, 2018
Colorado
✟33,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes I get it boy did we see some craziness but as a Child of God who only spent a year in that place I seriously need to pray for folk yet as my lightheadedness has only increased since leaving more than a tragic and yes I have been to many drs this morning I wonder maybe just maybe I need a good ole fashioned Jesus cleansing of whatever doors I may have opened its hard to because I don't want to criticize others but sometimes it's good to point out God's word and the errors we all sometimes make in our interpretation.

Upvote 0

dstamps

Site Supporter
Dec 23, 2018
Huntsville, AL
Visit site
✟64,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others

The Two Great Commandments are basically to Love GOD and to Love our neighbor. There is nothing in the 'commandments' relating to how you accomplish that. Consider that Man is to be the body of Christ (John 15). We know that the physical body has many parts. It makes commonsense to me that the physical reality (plane of existence) would mirror the Spiritual Reality (higher plane of existence) in most if not all ways in the sense that the lower plane is divided while the higher plane is unified. Therefore, the Spiritual Body of Christ will have many spiritual parts also--unified on the Spiritual plane but divided on the physical plane. If so, does an eye grow to maturity in the same way that an ear would grow to maturity? Can an eye understand how an ear hears or an ear understand how an eye sees? Both must follow a different path to mature and be unified in the Body of Christ.

The Holy Spirit will seek to mature both the eye and the ear and will lead both along different paths. Therefore, when you feel uncomfortable in any form of 'religion' or situation, that could very well be the Holy Spirit telling you that you have temporarily strayed from the path you need to follow.

Much more could be said on this subject; but I will refrain from going further.

Reactions: Seadish
Upvote 0

Seadish

Oct 16, 2018
Colorado
✟33,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Two Great Commandments are basically to Love GOD and to Love our neighbor. There is nothing in the 'commandments' relating to how you accomplish that. Consider that Man is to be the body of Christ (John 15). We know that the physical body has many parts. It makes commonsense to me that the physical reality (plane of existence) would mirror the Spiritual Reality (higher plane of existence) in most if not all ways in the sense that the lower plane is divided while the higher plane is unified. Therefore, the Spiritual Body of Christ will have many spiritual parts also--unified on the Spiritual plane but divided on the physical plane. If so, does an eye grow to maturity in the same way that an ear would grow to maturity? Can an eye understand how an ear hears or an ear understand how an eye sees? Both must follow a different path to mature and be unified in the Body of Christ.

The Holy Spirit will seek to mature both the eye and the ear and will lead both along different paths. Therefore, when you feel uncomfortable in any form of 'religion' or situation, that could very well be the Holy Spirit telling you that you have temporarily strayed from the path you need to follow.

Much more could be said on this subject; but I will refrain from going further.
Very wise ty just another reason I left there were tons,,,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I don't know sorry

I knew a guy who was Oneness Pentecostal and a very strange, cold, type of guy. I went to the services and they were very dramatic and noisy, but there was no kind of the spiritual love, joy, and character (what I would describe as Spiritual E/c2) that I found from the Saints of old. This man ends up backslidding and living a wild life and his church fell apart. Talking to this guy after he backslid, he had a warmer spirit than he did while with the Oneness Pentecostals. He ended up moving to Florida and I have not seen him since.

It is important to measure the type of people in Pentecostal churches. Now, I am Pentecostal, and don't have any intentions of turning into anything else.... But... Not everyone who makes a noise in those churches are truly filled with the Holy Spirit. If it is something strange and cold to you leaving there was your best option.

I fell in with the Pentecostal Holiness church not because of the tongues, but because of the people, which were the finest I have ever met in my entire life. Pictured below is Dallas Linkous JR, which is probably the 'shoutingest' man I have ever met in my entire life. As a teenager I would put up hay with him and go with him to the revivals at night. Both him and his wife were tongue talking, shouting, happy type Pentecostals. The joy was there equally there at home as well as at work. Every one of the fruits of the spirit lamped within their lives like a great over heated pot belly stove. There was also a decency among the people like I have never seen. My grandfather was good friends with Dallas. In the 1950's they would have revivals that would go for weeks and early in the AM. Granny said that grandfather could worship the Lord until 2 AM and not have any trouble at all rising at 6 AM for work.

I remember well as a young man Dallas coming behind me to pray with me at the altar, with tears running down his cheek and onto my neck. As a guy who did not like to be touched this was quite profound. At the end of that summer we had a good revival in which the Lord seemed there in a mighty way. On reading the book, "Run Baby Run," by Nikki Cruise, I felt a voice telling me to put the book down. I paused, and then continued again to read. The voice said again, "Put the book down." I slept in my Grandmothers living room on an old fold away cot by the open living room door. The Katydids seemed to be singing very loud that night. There in my Grandmothers clean linens I heard the Spirit speak again, "Where is all the stress, worry and hatred?" In which, upon examining my heart, there was nothing there but pure beauty. I thought to myself. "Oh my! I got exactly what those people got!" I would spend the rest of the summer rejoicing with the people and in revival until I went back to college later that September.

Picture1.png

I believe these people were actually filled with the Holy Spirit, not only for the noise, but for the goodness of character that followed the experience.

Attachments

• jsloss.jpg
    jsloss.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The true spiritual E/c2 has a warmth and a light about it, making the blessing appealing, and motivating others to get it as well. If the blessing is not of God there will be no E (motivation, warmth, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy), but rather a strange experience, or outright darkness. The Apostle Paul calls these things fruits of the Spirit, and it is very important that they follow the blessing.

I'm going to disagree a bit rocky. Those that are "unlearned / ungifted" spirtually, to begin with, don't do a good job of 'judging' what's of The Spirit, or not. And you/I see it all the time here. Oh they do a great job of superficially judging fruit. Kind of like when Grandma had that bowl of fruit on the table which 'looked' so good, but 'tasted'....like plastic, which it was. Well, the fruit of the Spirit which 'looks' so bad to them, is merely a soulish judgement which they never 'taste' spiritually. You and I can both say we 'taste and see' a totally different thing in the same situation .

And their 'see but can't taste' soulish judgment is simply because of a lack of the spiritual ability to truly first 'taste' and then 'see' if it is "approved".

PSA 34:8 O taste and see that the LORD is good! Happy.

My own brother who first started coming to our CRAZIMATIC church years ago, as an "unlearned/ungifted" newly born again but not Spirit baptized Roman Catholic, was scared to death of what he was seeing, hearing and feeling. The only reason he did stay was because his wife loved the worship. That was over 20 years ago. And that same 'brother' has now been an ELDER in that same church for the last 12? years. :clap:

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Are they oneness Pentecostal do you know? I prefer the Wesleyan variety myself.
Oneness...oh yes. :) I met several times with the local pastor of 'one of those'. ;) At our last meeting he actually went so far as to say that he thought I "just might be a truly saved one". The insinuation of that comment was based upon his leanings toward 'anyone not in his church' wasn't fully saved. ^_^ Oh well, I love him anyway. And I did have a dear friend to was truly born again and then truly received the baptism of the Spirit with tongues at that church. But, she did subsequently leave because she didn't agree with some of their 'false doctrines' either. Good discernment IMO. Even though I personally don't believe there is a denomination or congregation anywhere that has everything 'right'.

P.S. in your last post you mentioned the Run Baby Run book. Please elaborate. I loved the book. Not sure where your 'negative', which you say the Spirit used to have you lay it down, actually came from. Unpack that a bit more if you would.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Oneness...oh yes. :) I met several times with the local pastor of 'one of those'. ;) At our last meeting he actually went so far as to say that he thought I "just might be a truly saved one". The insinuation of that comment was based upon his leanings toward 'anyone not in his church' wasn't fully saved. ^_^ Oh well, I love him anyway. And I did have a dear friend to was truly born again and then truly received the baptism of the Spirit with tongues at that church. But, she did subsequently leave because she didn't agree with some of their 'false doctrines' either. Good discernment IMO. Even though I personally don't believe there is a denomination or congregation anywhere that has everything 'right'.

P.S. in your last post you mentioned the Run Baby Run book. Please elaborate. I loved the book. Not sure where your 'negative', which you say the Spirit used to have you lay it down, actually came from. Unpack that a bit more if you would.

Good book... The Spirit wanted me to lay the book down so he could commune with me, showing me of the wonderful change that occurred within the heart. Once that happened I then picked it up and continued the reading.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,814.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Stay clear of these things. When Jesus came across someone like you mentioned, writhing on the floor and making weird noises etc, He cast the devil from them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Your description is of a false spirit, a fake experiences in the meeting.
The same "laughing spirit" and rolling on the floor deceptive spiritual experience was seen in Toronto,
and then spread devastatingly world wide - it destroyed may previously good fellowship meetings all over the united states, africa, and elsewhere very quickliy (within a few years) ...

Some places still walk in darkness like that - or should we say many places ?

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
“Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” (Matthew 7:21–23) (KJV 1900)

It's not the mainstream churches Jesus describes here.
On the contrary, it is the mainstream church that Jesus is talking about.

In Jesus's day, it is the scribes and Pharisees along with the priesthood who were the equivalent of today's mainstream church, and it is these people that Jesus was referring to in the scripture you posted.
The start of the whole discourse makes the intended target clear.
Matt5v20For I say to you that unless your righteousness shall abound above that of the scribes and Pharisees, you shall never enter into the kingdom of the heavens.

And here is what follows the scripture you posted.
28And it came to pass, when Jesus had finished these words, the crowds were astonished at His teaching. 29for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as their scribes.

It looks pretty slam dunk to me!
It is these "mainstream" religious people who were doing the things your scripture lists, and both scripture and lengthy history records that it was these mainstream religious people who persecuted and killed those who received the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Well Shucks, I gotta say this, I just halfta
You will find NO shortage of "opinions" on doctrine from mankind friend.
But the truth lies in the infallible Word of God. 2 Timothy tells us to correctly divide the Word and this is where many "churches" lose their way.
God has dealt with differing people at differing times in differing ways. Heb 1 for example.
We are in a period that is of unmerited favor and is a gift of God to those who believe in His death, Burial and Resurrection.
It really is a very simple doctrine because Christ has fulfilled it all and we are saved by believing 1 Cor 15:1-4
Find a good ole Holy Ghost filled Baptist believing, Bible preaching church and rightly divide that Word.
Blessings friend :]

Upvote 0

Seadish

Oct 16, 2018
Colorado
✟33,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well Shucks, I gotta say this, I just halfta
You will find NO shortage of "opinions" on doctrine from mankind friend.
But the truth lies in the infallible Word of God. 2 Timothy tells us to correctly divide the Word and this is where many "churches" lose their way.
God has dealt with differing people at differing times in differing ways. Heb 1 for example.
We are in a period that is of unmerited favor and is a gift of God to those who believe in His death, Burial and Resurrection.
It really is a very simple doctrine because Christ has fulfilled it all and we are saved by believing 1 Cor 15:1-4
Find a good ole Holy Ghost filled Baptist believing, Bible preaching church and rightly divide that Word.
Blessings friend :]
Yes I know and its not so much the doctrine I was questioning but the spirit within as can be in any religion

Upvote 0