Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
I dont know whete to put this. Its not meant for debate but its a sensitive topic. I cant post it in the debate section nor apologetics.

What is the difference between just god/spirit and god/holy spirit?
Not jesus but just the creator and the holy spirit.

I read the bible in full before but dont know it by heart; so, if you use scripture please keep it im chunks and somewhat short so I can follow your point as well as your quotations.

Since the holy spirit comes from god, what is the spirit apart from he creator himself? Is that redundant in content?

Reactions: NurseAbigail

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I dont know whete to put this. Its not meant for debate but its a sensitive topic. I cant post it in the debate section nor apologetics.

I read the bible in full before but dont know it by heart; so, if you use scripture please keep it im chunks and somewhat short so I can follow your point as well as your quotations.

Since the holy spirit comes from god, what is the spirit apart from he creator himself? Is that redundant in content?
1 John chapter 4 verse 7
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.

I don't think it matters if your a Buddhist, if you love.

John chapter 14 verse 26
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

I don't know if this helps.

Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Look! Its like the Nothing never was.
Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
1 John chapter 4 verse 7
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.

I don't think it matters if your a Buddhist, if you love.

John chapter 14 verse 26
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

I don't know if this helps.

Whats the difference between the two?

Love from christ by grace and love from a Buddhist by a buddhists' actions make the definition and experience of love totally different. (I wouldnt know where to talk about differences as an interfaith talk here, though)

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
What is the difference between just god/spirit and god/holy spirit? Not Jesus but just the creator and the holy spirit.
Hi UA, like you just said, kind of an odd place to talk about theology, but ok. First off, here are a couple of "chunks" of Scripture about Jesus and who He really is:

John 1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 He was in the beginning with God.
3 All things came into being by Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

Colossians 1
16 By Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created by Him and for Him.
17 He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.​

Jesus IS the Creator and the Sustainer of all things (though it is most appropriate to say that God the Father created all things "through" His Son).

Your and His,
David

Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Hi UA, like you just said, kind of an odd place to talk about theology, but ok. First off, here are a couple of "chunks" of Scripture about Jesus and who He really is:

John 1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 He was in the beginning with God.
3 All things came into being by Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

Colossians 1
16 By Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created by Him and for Him.
17 He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.​

Jesus IS the Creator and the Sustainer of all things (though it is most appropriate to say that God the Father created all things "through" His Son).

Your and His,
David

The holy spirit and the creator, how are they seperate from each other?

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Personally I'm in the same boat as you not in regards to be confused though I have simply concluded that they are one in the same. There isn't really an apparent difference in scripture.

I am gonna keep up with this thread though curious to hear response

Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Personally I'm in the same boat as you not in regards to be confused though I have simply concluded that they are one in the same. There isn't really an apparent difference in scripture.

I am gonna keep up with this thread though curious to hear response

Thank you. I remember talking with someone on another site. I said that thr holy spirit is jesus spirit that the creator blessed him. When he was crucifed, in Acts his disciples received the holy spirit (christ spirit which is holy adjective).

The creator and jesus I can see. If I believed in god, I would say god. If I were christian, Id say christ. Where does the lie spirit play a role when you already have both god and christ?

Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The holy spirit and the creator, how are they seperate from each other?

They aren't.

In orthodox Christian theology we believe that the one God is a Trinity of "persons": the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. They aren't separate gods, beings, entities (etc); but one Being, one God, one Entity (etc).

As such the Holy Spirit is the Creator of the universe, because He's God. Even as the Father and the Son are the one Creator God.

To get to some questions from your OP,

The Father is God.
The Son is God.
The Holy Spirit is God.
One God, Holy Trinity.

The Father and the Holy Spirit are distinct, but not separate. Meaning that the Father isn't the Holy Spirit, but the Father and the Holy Spirit are the same God.

Well the Holy Spirit can't be apart from the Creator, because He is the Creator--He's God. We say in the Nicene Creed that He "proceeds from the Father [and the Son]*". This "procession" or "spiration" means He is of God the Father, but not separate from Him. He is the very Breath of God present at the primordial moment of creation: "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters." (Genesis 1:1-3)

God's Spirit is God Himself.
Even as God's Word (Jesus) is God Himself.

So we speak of the Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. One God.

In the Western Churches (Catholic and Protestant) we use the Athanasian Creed in which we confess, "We worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity; neither confusing the Persons nor dividing the Substance." Thus we say the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God--but not three gods, but one God. So we say the Father is Creator, the Son is Creator, and the Holy Spirit is Creator, but not three creators, but one Creator. Because the Three are One, the One is Three.

-CryptoLutheran

*Filioque - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
They aren't.

In orthodox Christian theology we believe that the one God is a Trinity of "persons": the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. They aren't separate gods, beings, entities (etc); but one Being, one God, one Entity (etc).

As such the Holy Spirit is the Creator of the universe, because He's God. Even as the Father and the Son are the one Creator God.

To get to some questions from your OP,

The Father is God.
The Son is God.
The Holy Spirit is God.
One God, Holy Trinity.

The Father and the Holy Spirit are distinct, but not separate. Meaning that the Father isn't the Holy Spirit, but the Father and the Holy Spirit are the same God.

Well the Holy Spirit can't be apart from the Creator, because He is the Creator--He's God. We say in the Nicene Creed that He "proceeds from the Father [and the Son]*". This "procession" or "spiration" means He is of God the Father, but not separate from Him. He is the very Breath of God present at the primordial moment of creation: "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters." (Genesis 1:1-3)

God's Spirit is God Himself.
Even as God's Word (Jesus) is God Himself.

So we speak of the Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. One God.

In the Western Churches (Catholic and Protestant) we use the Athanasian Creed in which we confess, "We worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity; neither confusing the Persons nor dividing the Substance." Thus we say the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God--but not three gods, but one God. So we say the Father is Creator, the Son is Creator, and the Holy Spirit is Creator, but not three creators, but one Creator. Because the Three are One, the One is Three.

-CryptoLutheran

*Filioque - Wikipedia

Would it be easier to say god came to christians? When I was confirmed, the only creator I knew was through the sacraments of christ. Once you take the sacraments out, I honeslty dont know how to describe a creator.

I personally would stick to holy spirit or jesus. They seem to be the key players. I honestly dont know about god. It sounds redundant. I was mostly looking at the creator and the holy spirit. Since jesus as also a human, I put that aside.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think Christianity and World Religion is a good place for discussions like this, btw, if you want to start more threads of a similar nature. :)

I take it you want a differentiation between God the Father and God the Holy Spirit?

The Holy Trinity is notoriously difficult to explain using human terms. I had a Muslim asking a few weeks ago, and I don't think I managed to make it plain enough.

There is one God. We use the word "Essence" to describe what God "is" ... and there is only one Essence, one God.

However, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all distinct, and are all Persons, meaning they each have a will (though being in perfect unity, their divine will is in agreement - they all want the same thing). But because they are separate persons, they can exist in relationship to each other. And that's what the Holy Trinity is, in a sense. It's a relationship.

God says that He is love. But He is distinct from all created things. He alone is uncreated. So ... before He created, He alone existed. How can He be love, if there is no one to love? But He is perfect in Himself, not lacking, not actually needing anything. So in order to BE agape-love ... more than one Person is necessary. The Son loves the Father and the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit loves the Father and the Son, and the Father loves the Son and the Holy Spirit.

An important part of Who they all are involves that the Father is the Source, He begets the Son (it's not a creation-moment but a relationship) and He breathes forth the Holy Spirit, in a sense. I only mention this part because it was what helped me to finally grasp it, at least as far as a human can. I hope I haven't made it more confusing.

It might not seem to make sense because there is no real human equivalent. Every analogy attempted falls short at some point.

If I ever find a really good way of explaining, I'm going to save it. Because it keeps coming up, and I know it's hard to wrap the mind around.

• Winner
Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Where dles the hy spirit play a role when you already have both god and christ?

The Holy Spirit is called our Comforter, Jesus says, "And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Comforter, to be with you forever," (John 14:16).

In the beginning of the Gospel story St. John the Baptist, the forerunner of Jesus Christ, says "The One who comes after me, whose sandals I am unworthy to strap, He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire", which is fulfilled when we read in the book known as the Acts of the Apostles (the story of Jesus' apostles after His resurrection and ascension, and the beginnings of the Christian Church) that after Jesus had ascended into the heavens His followers were gathered together on the Jewish feast of Pentecost in the same room which they often met with Jesus; when a loud sound like roaring wind filled the room, and there appeared to be tongues of fire which rest atop all who were gathered, they then began to speak in different languages which caused quite the commotion. The commotion grabbed the attention of many Jewish pilgrims in Jerusalem, who were shocked that a group of mostly Galilean people were speaking in the languages of the pilgrims. In the midst of this St. Peter stands up and delivers a sermon about how this was in fulfillment of what God had long ago promised by Joel the Prophet, that the day would come when God would pour out His Spirit on all flesh. In response to Peter's message about Jesus, about three thousand received baptism and became the earliest converts to Christianity.

The Holy Spirit lives and dwells in us, as a gift and grace of God, He is the seal and promise that we belong to God and are in Christ. He gives life to us as God's people, empowering us and holding us close to God's promises in Jesus. St. Paul says that one cannot even say "Jesus is Lord" unless by the power of the Holy Spirit--it is the Holy Spirit who gives us faith, it is His power (not our power) that makes us trust in Jesus. It is the Spirit who makes us children of God, St. Paul says that it is the Holy Spirit in us that we can cry out to God the Father saying, "Abba! Father!", it is the Holy Spirit in us that is the guarantee from God that we have eternal life in the resurrection of the dead, writing, "If the Spirit of Him who raised Christ from the dead dwells also in you, then He who raised Christ from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies".

It is the Holy Spirit who makes Christ present to us in the Church. It is the Spirit who makes us alive to God in our baptism. It is the Spirit who gives us faith, who keeps us in the faith.

A Christian without the Holy Spirit--well wouldn't be a Christian obviously--but ultimately would be like a light bulb without any electricity. The Holy Spirit is the One who makes us alive.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
The Holy Spirit is called our Comforter, Jesus says, "And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Comforter, to be with you forever," (John 14:16).

In the beginning of the Gospel story St. John the Baptist, the forerunner of Jesus Christ, says "The One who comes after me, whose sandals I am unworthy to strap, He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire", which is fulfilled when we read in the book known as the Acts of the Apostles (the story of Jesus' apostles after His resurrection and ascension, and the beginnings of the Christian Church) that after Jesus had ascended into the heavens His followers were gathered together on the Jewish feast of Pentecost in the same room which they often met with Jesus; when a loud sound like roaring wind filled the room, and there appeared to be tongues of fire which rest atop all who were gathered, they then began to speak in different languages which caused quite the commotion. The commotion grabbed the attention of many Jewish pilgrims in Jerusalem, who were shocked that a group of mostly Galilean people were speaking in the languages of the pilgrims. In the midst of this St. Peter stands up and delivers a sermon about how this was in fulfillment of what God had long ago promised by Joel the Prophet, that the day would come when God would pour out His Spirit on all flesh. In response to Peter's message about Jesus, about three thousand received baptism and became the earliest converts to Christianity.

The Holy Spirit lives and dwells in us, as a gift and grace of God, He is the seal and promise that we belong to God and are in Christ. He gives life to us as God's people, empowering us and holding us close to God's promises in Jesus. St. Paul says that one cannot even say "Jesus is Lord" unless by the power of the Holy Spirit--it is the Holy Spirit who gives us faith, it is His power (not our power) that makes us trust in Jesus. It is the Spirit who makes us children of God, St. Paul says that it is the Holy Spirit in us that we can cry out to God the Father saying, "Abba! Father!", it is the Holy Spirit in us that is the guarantee from God that we have eternal life in the resurrection of the dead, writing, "If the Spirit of Him who raised Christ from the dead dwells also in you, then He who raised Christ from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies".

It is the Holy Spirit who makes Christ present to us in the Church. It is the Spirit who makes us alive to God in our baptism. It is the Spirit who gives us faith, who keeps us in the faith.

A Christian without the Holy Spirit--well wouldn't be a Christian obviously--but ultimately would be like a light bulb without any electricity. The Holy Spirit is the One who makes us alive.

-CryptoLutheran

When I was confirmed, I saw the holy spirit as god and that holy was an adjective to describe the workings of the creator. So, when people come together in Christ at the Eucharist, they make Christ present in Mass. When Christ is present at Mass, so is god. Christ would be the one who brings people to god and his spirit the one brings people to god in the pentecoast.

So, if a christian said they believed in christ and the creator, what is missing from both that the holy spirit can provide?

If not separate, why refer to him separately?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Trinity.png

Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
I think Christianity and World Religion is a good place for discussions like this, btw, if you want to start more threads of a similar nature. :)

I take it you want a differentiation between God the Father and God the Holy Spirit?

The Holy Trinity is notoriously difficult to explain using human terms. I had a Muslim asking a few weeks ago, and I don't think I managed to make it plain enough.

There is one God. We use the word "Essence" to describe what God "is" ... and there is only one Essence, one God.

However, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all distinct, and are all Persons, meaning they each have a will (though being in perfect unity, their divine will is in agreement - they all want the same thing). But because they are separate persons, they can exist in relationship to each other. And that's what the Holy Trinity is, in a sense. It's a relationship.

God says that He is love. But He is distinct from all created things. He alone is uncreated. So ... before He created, He alone existed. How can He be love, if there is no one to love? But He is perfect in Himself, not lacking, not actually needing anything. So in order to BE agape-love ... more than one Person is necessary. The Son loves the Father and the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit loves the Father and the Son, and the Father loves the Son and the Holy Spirit.

An important part of Who they all are involves that the Father is the Source, He begets the Son (it's not a creation-moment but a relationship) and He breathes forth the Holy Spirit, in a sense. I only mention this part because it was what helped me to finally grasp it, at least as far as a human can. I hope I haven't made it more confusing.

It might not seem to make sense because there is no real human equivalent. Every analogy attempted falls short at some point.

If I ever find a really good way of explaining, I'm going to save it. Because it keeps coming up, and I know it's hard to wrap the mind around.

Thank you. I honestly didnt want to touch the trinity convo. I have experiences that arent shared when I express it outside lurtigical denominations.

In my head, Im thinking god is a spirit/essense I guess. A active spirit. So, when a Muslim or Jew says god is in them, then there is no intermedary between them. Just god and the believer.

When you have the holy spirit, it makes it seem there are two spirits not one. If one, we would say god filled us to be born again. When god blew life in people, he blew himself...he is life so he is in the human being just as christ. How does a spirit blow in life of another spirit?

Im not familar with all the forums. Most say Christian only and there are many. This would be better in apologetics but I cant have many discussions for 100 threads since its christian only. Kind of walking on egg shells.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. I honestly didnt want to touch the trinity convo. I have experiences that arent shared when I express it outside lurtigical denominations.

In my head, Im thinking god is a spirit/essense I guess. A active spirit. So, when a Muslim or Jew says god is in them, then there is no intermedary between them. Just god and the believer.

When you have the holy spirit, it makes it seem there are two spirits not one. If one, we would say god filled us to be born again. When god blew life in people, he blew himself...he is life so he is in the human being just as christ. How does a spirit blow in life of another spirit?

Im not familar with all the forums. Most say Christian only and there are many. This would be better in apologetics but I cant have many discussions for 100 threads since its christian only. Kind of walking on egg shells.
I need to compile a list of where non-Christians are allowed to post because I'm not sure I know them all myself. I check the SOP too if I'm not sure.

Most of the time I see them posting in Ethics & Morality, Struggles by Non-Christians, and Christianity and World Religion. Respectful posts are sometimes made in other sections too. For example in The Ancient Way (the EO forum), a non-Christian can post in fellowship or asking questions and be welcomed. The restriction there is that only Orthodox teaching is allowed, so you couldn't get a perspective from Catholics or Protestants if it were different. But if you ever have questions about posting and rules, feel free to pm me and I'll be glad to help if I can. If I don't know the answer, I will find out for you. :)

God IS Spirit ... prior to the Incarnation of Christ, all of the Persons of the Holy Trinity were only Spirit. It was not until Christ came to be born of the Virgin Mary, taking on human flesh from her as any child does from its mother, that God had a body in any form. Because He has united Himself with humanity, being both God and man at that point, and remains so, the material world is now united to God in that sense. (Making the way for mankind to be elevated into communion with God - though NEVER becoming God in Essence - but this is how we will eventually be restored and all creation along with us.)

Before man was created, there was always God, Who is Spirit. He also created angels, who are spirit beings. Man was the first creature who was given both that spirit from God AND a physical body. There is something distinct about our spirits compared to that of animals. It is a higher form, such as the spirits of angels are higher, and represents a connection between us and God (as it does for the angels). Or at least the opportunity for connection, since some of the angels willfully separated themselves and since we also have that choice if we wish it.

I'm not sure if that is answering your question? But the way in which God gives that spirit to man is unique, from animals. However, it is not the same thing as "having the Holy Spirit". Before Christ the Holy Spirit would unite temporarily with a person (often a person was a prophet as a result) so that He could carry out a necessary work through that person. It could be a brief union or a fairly longer one from a human point of view. But since Christ having come and ascended, and the descent of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, the dynamic has changed and God now unites Himself with those who receive Him, never to abandon us (though I believe we can purposely drive Him away from us if we were to choose ... but that would be apostasy).

At the same time, it is also true that God sustains (and always has) all of creation by His energies, and as such He is the ultimate source of all life. But again, this represents a different level of involvement from His other activities.

I'm not sure if some more modern Christians would agree, and perhaps Catholics don't have quite the same understanding either, but we Orthodox understand God to exist in His Essence (his "God-ness" - His Being, which we can never know) and His Energies, which are the way He acts in the world, the way we can interact with and know Him. What we call "grace" is His energies working. And we would say that our experience of grace IS the Holy Spirit. Yet it is important not to think of Him as some kind of impersonal force, like electrical power or something. He is a Person, with thoughts, a will, and the ability to interact with us.

My thoughts were a bit scattered, and I'm not sure this can be assembled into a coherent understanding that helps or not. We can know God in a way, but in another sense God is past our ability to figure out. So He is difficult to explain in words or concepts. I hope it could be of some help at least.

Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not a Christian but I would say from past experience that the "Father and Son" are up there ^, whereas the Holy spirit is down here, in connection with psyche, like water with water or wind with wind, inspiring a believer's conscience in a more direct intimate manner.

Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
I need to compile a list of where non-Christians are allowed to post because I'm not sure I know them all myself. I check the SOP too if I'm not sure.

Most of the time I see them posting in Ethics & Morality, Struggles by Non-Christians, and Christianity and World Religion. Respectful posts are sometimes made in other sections too. For example in The Ancient Way (the EO forum), a non-Christian can post in fellowship or asking questions and be welcomed. The restriction there is that only Orthodox teaching is allowed, so you couldn't get a perspective from Catholics or Protestants if it were different. But if you ever have questions about posting and rules, feel free to pm me and I'll be glad to help if I can. If I don't know the answer, I will find out for you. :)

God IS Spirit ... prior to the Incarnation of Christ, all of the Persons of the Holy Trinity were only Spirit. It was not until Christ came to be born of the Virgin Mary, taking on human flesh from her as any child does from its mother, that God had a body in any form. Because He has united Himself with humanity, being both God and man at that point, and remains so, the material world is now united to God in that sense. (Making the way for mankind to be elevated into communion with God - though NEVER becoming God in Essence - but this is how we will eventually be restored and all creation along with us.)

Before man was created, there was always God, Who is Spirit. He also created angels, who are spirit beings. Man was the first creature who was given both that spirit from God AND a physical body. There is something distinct about our spirits compared to that of animals. It is a higher form, such as the spirits of angels are higher, and represents a connection between us and God (as it does for the angels). Or at least the opportunity for connection, since some of the angels willfully separated themselves and since we also have that choice if we wish it.

I'm not sure if that is answering your question? But the way in which God gives that spirit to man is unique, from animals. However, it is not the same thing as "having the Holy Spirit". Before Christ the Holy Spirit would unite temporarily with a person (often a person was a prophet as a result) so that He could carry out a necessary work through that person. It could be a brief union or a fairly longer one from a human point of view. But since Christ having come and ascended, and the descent of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, the dynamic has changed and God now unites Himself with those who receive Him, never to abandon us (though I believe we can purposely drive Him away from us if we were to choose ... but that would be apostasy).

At the same time, it is also true that God sustains (and always has) all of creation by His energies, and as such He is the ultimate source of all life. But again, this represents a different level of involvement from His other activities.

I'm not sure if some more modern Christians would agree, and perhaps Catholics don't have quite the same understanding either, but we Orthodox understand God to exist in His Essence (his "God-ness" - His Being, which we can never know) and His Energies, which are the way He acts in the world, the way we can interact with and know Him. What we call "grace" is His energies working. And we would say that our experience of grace IS the Holy Spirit. Yet it is important not to think of Him as some kind of impersonal force, like electrical power or something. He is a Person, with thoughts, a will, and the ability to interact with us.

My thoughts were a bit scattered, and I'm not sure this can be assembled into a coherent understanding that helps or not. We can know God in a way, but in another sense God is past our ability to figure out. So He is difficult to explain in words or concepts. I hope it could be of some help at least.

Interesting, to say the least. I havent heard it put that way before. There are three spirits before jesus' incarnation?

Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private

Do you know the difference between god/spirit ans the holy spirit? (not a trinity question but asking the differing natures of two spirits not only as one but as separate entities)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Interesting, to say the least. I havent heard it put that way before. There are three spirits before jesus' incarnation?

I'm not sure I would say it exactly like that, since it could be misunderstood.

There have always been three Persons in the Holy Trinity. They are all Spirit - meaning they are not materially created.

When Christ became Incarnate in the flesh - He alone united His Person - His Divine Nature - with human nature - which involves a material component - flesh. He maintains that united condition. He still has a physical body, unique among the Holy Trinity, because neither the Father nor the Holy Spirit became Incarnate in human flesh.

They all three remain God - one Essence, one God - uncreated. And yes, God is Spirit - so they all maintain that.

Christ alone is now fully God, but also fully man, in the uniting of His Divine nature with His new, human nature.

So ... the answer to your question is yes, if you qualify that by three spirits you mean three Persons Who are all Spirit.

But I'm thinking that could be possibly confused if Spirit and Essence become confused, because there is ONE Divine Essence, One God. Unless we carefully understand the relationship of Persons it is very easy to accidentally create three Gods in our mind. To be honest, most of my life I was inescapably doing just that. No matter how much I was told "three Persons, one God" I couldn't actually make sense if it, so my theology was really tri-theistic, though I would never have admitted it (not really even to myself). That's why I mentioned the relationship factor, because it was finally through that that I was able to glimpse how "three Persons in one God" was possible, so I offer it along with the rest in case it helps.

If it's any consolation, this is pretty deep stuff. On a certain level we can comprehend it, but in another sense it is really beyond human comprehension to delve into the depths.

Upvote 0