✟26,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1775068,00.html

ADVISERS appointed by Tony Blair after the London bombings are proposing to scrap the Jewish Holocaust Memorial Day because it is regarded as offensive to Muslims. They want to replace it with a Genocide Day that would recognise the mass murder of Muslims in Palestine, Chechnya and Bosnia as well as people of other faiths.

The committees argue that the special status of Holocaust Memorial Day fuels extremists’ sense of alienation because it “excludes” Muslims. “The very name Holocaust Memorial Day sounds too exclusive to many young Muslims.”

The recommendation, drawn up by four committees including those dealing with imams and mosques, and Islamaphobia and policing, has the backing of Sir Iqbal Sacranie, secretary-general of the Muslim Council of Britain. He said: “Muslims feel hurt and excluded...”

---

unbelievable... you just can't satirise this...

E_Powers

Humble Baker for the Lord
Sep 2, 2004
st chuck mo
✟8,900.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I dont see the problem with Holocaust Memorial Day if they feel exclusive because it is a Jewish rememberance day. it very well should be. it was pretty much Jews and other peoples the Germans considered "undesirables" that suffered the Holocaust.

people keep bringing up bad stuff that the Germans and Japanese suffered at the end of the war. (allied fire bombings and atomic bombs were both dropped on either countries) but what these countries did before and during the war far out weighed what the allies did to them at the closing of ww2

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
between a frozen wastelan and a wast desert
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
While I find nothing offensive about having a Holocaust day, I would like to see tributes included to the the five to six million other victims of the holocaust, including homosexuals, gypsies, communists, trade unionists, the handicaped, the mentally retarded, the social democrats, the partisans, Polish intelligentsia, and the other undesirables.

Another day to remember genocides as a whole would be a good day to have as well.

Upvote 0

rebel_conservative

Baruch HaShem! Praise G-d!
Feb 5, 2005
✟26,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
rahma said:
While I find nothing offensive about having a Holocaust day, I would like to see tributes included to the the five to six million other victims of the holocaust, including homosexuals, gypsies, communists, trade unionists, the handicaped, the mentally retarded, the social democrats, the partisans, Polish intelligentsia, and the other undesirables.

Another day to remember genocides as a whole would be a good day to have as well.

I am not sure about other countries, but the British HMD is already all of these things :thumbsup:

"Holocaust Memorial Day is about commemorating all the communities who suffered as a result of the Holocaust and Nazi persecution, and demonstrating that the Holocaust is relevant to everyone in the UK today. The Day provides a focus - through the national event and local events and activities – for people to think about the continuing repercussions of the Holocaust on our society." http://www.holocaustmemorialday.gov.uk/about/default.asp

Holocaust Memorial Day Statement of Purpose
http://www.holocaustmemorialday.gov.uk/about/aims/default.asp

The creation of a National Holocaust Memorial Day aims to:
  1. Recognise that the Holocaust was a tragically defining episode of the 20th century, a crisis for European civilisation and a universal catastrophe for humanity.
  2. Provide a national mark of respect for all victims of Nazi persecution and demonstrate understanding with all those who still suffer its consequences.
  3. Raise awareness and understanding of the events of the Holocaust as a continuing issue of fundamental importance for all humanity.
  4. Ensure that the horrendous crimes, racism and victimisation committed during the Holocaust are neither forgotten nor repeated, whether in Europe or elsewhere in the world.
  5. Restate the continuing need for vigilance in light of the troubling repetition of human tragedies in the world today.
  6. Reflect on recent atrocities that raise similar issues.
  7. Provide a national focus for educating subsequent generations about the Holocaust and the continued relevance of the lessons that are learnt from it.
  8. Provide an opportunity to examine our nation's past and learn for the future.
  9. Promote a democratic and tolerant society, free of the evils of prejudice, racism and other forms of bigotry.
  10. Support the view that all citizens - without distinction - should participate freely and fully in the economic, social and public life of the nation.
  11. Highlight the values of a tolerant and diverse society based upon the notions of universal dignity and equal rights and responsibilities for all its citizens.
  12. Assert a continuing commitment to oppose racism, antisemitism, victimisation and genocide.
  13. Support our shared aspirations with both our European partners and the wider international community centred on the ideals of peace, justice and community for all.
[emphasis added]

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
rahma said:

Considering the great genocides of the 20th century (Armenian, where the Turks killed 1.5 million Armenians; Cambodia; Rwanda; the genocides within the former Yugoslavia; etc.) a worldwide day of remembrance for all victims of genocide would be a GREAT idea.

And I would certainly keep Halocaust Remembrance Day. In fact, part of this morning's service (over here in Lutheran-land) will deal with just that.

Upvote 0

rebel_conservative

Baruch HaShem! Praise G-d!
Feb 5, 2005
✟26,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
UberLutheran said:
Considering the great genocides of the 20th century (Armenian, where the Turks killed 1.5 million Armenians; Cambodia; Rwanda; the genocides within the former Yugoslavia; etc.) a worldwide day of remembrance for all victims of genocide would be a GREAT idea.

And I would certainly keep Halocaust Remembrance Day. In fact, part of this morning's service (over here in Lutheran-land) will deal with just that.

I can't speak for other countries, but our Holocaust Memorial Day already incorporates these things ( see above :thumbsup: )

Upvote 0

Ozymandius

May 15, 2005
✟1,237.00
Faith
Atheist
rebel_conservative said:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1775068,00.html

ADVISERS appointed by Tony Blair after the London bombings are proposing to scrap the Jewish Holocaust Memorial Day because it is regarded as offensive to Muslims. They want to replace it with a Genocide Day that would recognise the mass murder of Muslims in Palestine, Chechnya and Bosnia as well as people of other faiths.

The committees argue that the special status of Holocaust Memorial Day fuels extremists’ sense of alienation because it “excludes” Muslims. “The very name Holocaust Memorial Day sounds too exclusive to many young Muslims.”

The recommendation, drawn up by four committees including those dealing with imams and mosques, and Islamaphobia and policing, has the backing of Sir Iqbal Sacranie, secretary-general of the Muslim Council of Britain. He said: “Muslims feel hurt and excluded...”

---

unbelievable... you just can't satirise this...

Clearly the fourth of july is discriminatory against people of other citizenship.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,147.00
Faith
Christian
A member of one of the committees, made up of Muslims, said it gave the impression that “western lives have more value than non-western lives”. That perception needed to be changed. “One way of doing that is if the government were to sponsor a national Genocide Memorial Day.

Ummm…since when have Jews been “western” ?
Muslims feel hurt and excluded that their lives are not equally valuable to those lives lost in the Holocaust time.”

This sort of thing – admittedly just from a couple of committee members and not the Muslim community as a whole – just beggars belief. Combine it with lots of PC-rubbish, throw in lots of words like “inclusive” and “sensitivity” and you get the sort of whiny “what about me” sense of entitlement that is wrecking Britain.

Reactions: setzie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MaryS

Sep 12, 2004
✟3,195.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
rebel_conservative said:

Instead of "excluding" Muslims, maybe the Holocaust Memorial Day could include some information about one of the great Muslim leaders who helped Hitler.
Seems to be a part of the history of WWII that doesn't get much attention in most history books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Mufti_of_Jerusalem
(info and photo of the Mufti of Jerusalem that recruited for Hitler)

The liberal author, Edwin Black could help with the background info...

http://www.bankingonbaghdad.com/archive/ReformJudaism2004V33N2/black.shtml
DISPOSSESSED
How Iraq's 2,600-year-old Jewish community was decimated in one decade
by Edwin Black
(excerpt:
After the defeat of the Golden Square, the Mufti escaped to Nazi Germany, where he was accorded the personal protection of his host, SS chief Heinrich Himmler.
Using Radio Berlin, he now called on Moslems throughout the Middle East to
defeat the British and slaughter the Jews. In one fatwa he declared:
"O Moslems! Proud Iraq has placed herself in the vanguard of this
Holy Struggle....It is the duty of all Moslems to aid Iraq...and seek every means to fight the enemy....The English have committed unheard of barbarisms.... Bring all your weight to bear in helping Iraq that she may throw off the shame that torments her....Kill the Jews wherever you find them. This pleases Allah, history and religion. This saves your honor."

--------------

Besides writing for the New York Times, Edwin Black has some award-winnning books that also have websites:

www.waragainsttheweak.com and www.bankingonbaghdad.com are two that I've read articles from.

Upvote 0

Chosen One

Jul 14, 2005
✟8,271.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Forget about the Muslims- what about the people of German descent? They should be the most offended. Having a day to remind them what their grandparents and forefathers did seems more offensive to me. The are innocent of any crime and continually hear about it as if they should feel guilty.

I feel no guilt for what happened to the native Americans. Sure I feel bad for them as a group- but I certainly do not feel any guilt whatsoever.

I like the idea of a general genocide day. I think the Halocaust survivors attempt to have the Halocaust overshadow all the other events. We shouldn't forget these atrocities.

Upvote 0