Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:confused:It would seem we could separate some things here; after all, we're conservatives....suppose two people have the same identical lifestyle but their religious beliefs are different, say Christian conservative vs. Christian liberal. If the lifestyle is the same, is there really any difference between the two?

I mean, is this as good as we get?
Well this goes back to stereotypes tho. We don't walk around with halo's on our heads holding Bible's everywhere we go.

We're in the world, not of it. We don't separate ourselves to the point where we lose all our unsaved friends becuz we've gotten so "holy" that we have zero in common with regular people.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Only occultic stuff~not just the everyday run-of-the-mill sin stuff (adultery, blasphemy, etc)??
There is "sin" found in Columbo & Matlock.
You're welcome to set standards where you will not watch anything that has a lie in it, a profanity, murder, hatred, etc.
I personally don't believe I need to do that.

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I think this is key in some ways. God doesn't want me to watch occult stuff because I used to be so involved in it, so it can be a trigger. For others, it may not be an issue. I do still wonder whether there isn't some spiritual aspect to exposing ourselves to it, but that's where we trust the Holy Spirit, I guess.

I totally understand GM...back in my BC days...I was enthralled with all things Goth...they didn't call it Goth then though...I loved Ann Rice's novels and vampirism/witch craft had a very attractive, romantic and renaissance flare to it...

Now the moment I turn my attention to such...I'll see an advertisement for a new movie or something...the Holy Spirit is right there saying...no no no...and I listen...praise God!

Agree regarding the agenda. Actually, I recently reviewed season 4 on Amazon and had to give it low marks because it's so patently LW. Too political for its own good.

That being said, it was *merciless* about $cientology - I actually cheered and fell in love with it all over again. It looks like they know they've crossed a line, though, and I hear they're gonna dial it all back for season 5. Tis the last season and it'll only have 13 episodes, so hopefully they'll go out on a bang.
Yes...every now and then they would backpeddle a bit but I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop...and it usually did and I stopped watching all together.

That doesn't make you boring, sis! To be honest, I think you've drawn the line in the right place :hug:
I agree...I love that stuff too and I often wonder "GEE Walley"...why can't have a little more of those "Leave it to Beaver" days of programming...:)

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well this goes back to stereotypes tho. We don't walk around with halo's on our heads holding Bible's everywhere we go.

We're in the world, not of it. We don't separate ourselves to the point where we lose all our unsaved friends becuz we've gotten so "holy" that we have zero in common with regular people.

But Jesus was holy and he still had stuff in common without immersing Himself in the entertainments of the culture~~I mean, do ya think He'd have gone to the gladiator fights ;)

I hear what you are saying about "relevance"~I keep an eye on football scores so I'll be informed when I see guys at work...still wonder though if we aren't called out to be a more separate people sometimes...yeah des, guess my mennonite is showing a bit-still, I'm not talking about dressin' funny and painting our cars black; just pondering on the entertainment thing.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is "sin" found in Columbo & Matlock.
You're welcome to set standards where you will not watch anything that has a lie in it, a profanity, murder, hatred, etc.
I personally don't believe I need to do that.

Ya couldn't read the bible if those were the standards~it's filled with all those stories...guess I'm wondering more about what we are getting our recreation pleasure from-our enjoyment is derived from other's sinful actions being portrayed on screen...

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Generally if I am watching a show that glorifies or portrays a sin, it's very easy to see why one shouldn't commit that sin.

I've used Harry Potter and the Buffy and Angel series to talk about good and evil and about God with my atheist friends.

I think a lot can be said about intent. Am I watching an adulterous film because I like to watch the sex? Am I watching Buffy because I got all giddy over two girls kissing? Am I watching Angel because I think vampires are neat?

One thing God has given me is the knowledge to know the difference between reality and fiction.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think a lot can be said about intent. Am I watching an adulterous film because I like to watch the sex? Am I watching Buffy because I got all giddy over two girls kissing? Am I watching Angel because I think vampires are neat?

...well? I mean~if we know this is what is being shown, why do we continue to watch? Are we titillated by it? Or are we reading Playboy "just for the articles"?

Loads of stuff in the NT about this very sorta thing, isn't there? Or am I headed to fundamentalistville? :D

Reactions: GreenMunchkin
Upvote 0

ladyt28

God's Grace Fills My Life
Jun 12, 2007
Michigan
✟37,455.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Good topic!
I'm catching myself continually evolving when it comes to this issue. The closer I get to God, the more I seem to drift from shows and other forms of 'entertainment' that just don't seem to fit into His teaching. Example: I simply won't watch any of those shows about ghost hunters or the such and not because they are 'scarey' but rather because the Bible says that such things are not of God. I'm tired of "kooky" gay characters being added to a lot of sit-coms. There's another show with an actress that I really like but when I watched the beginning of the pilot show, she was naked and having an affair with a married man - it simply turned me off. Games like Grand Theft Auto are simply unacceptable to me. The phrase "garbage in, garbage out" comes to mind when some of these things come on.

Am I 100%? No Way! I am a work-in-progress. I don't judge others for what they watch but I may ask them how they feel the message of the show fits into their beliefs or may be influencing their beliefs. A lot of this stuff just ends up desensitizing us to worldly sins.

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Good topic!
I'm catching myself continually evolving when it comes to this issue. The closer I get to God, the more I seem to drift from shows and other forms of 'entertainment' that just don't seem to fit into His teaching. Example: I simply won't watch any of those shows about ghost hunters or the such and not because they are 'scarey' but rather because the Bible says that such things are not of God. I'm tired of "kooky" gay characters being added to a lot of sit-coms. There's another show with an actress that I really like but when I watched the beginning of the pilot show, she was naked and having an affair with a married man - it simply turned me off. Games like Grand Theft Auto are simply unacceptable to me. The phrase "garbage in, garbage out" comes to mind when some of these things come on.

Am I 100%? No Way! I am a work-in-progress. I don't judge others for what they watch but I may ask them how they feel the message of the show fits into their beliefs or may be influencing their beliefs. A lot of this stuff just ends up desensitizing us to worldly sins.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

GreenMunchkin

Likes things. And stuff. But mostly things.
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2007
United Kingdom of wo0t
✟99,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good topic!

Great post, sis.

I was thinking about it, actually, and am wondering whether we would be willing to be involved in the programmes we're discussing. That is to say would I, for example, be willing to publicly endorse Family Guy or Boston Legal by being in them? Probably not.

Maybe that's how we know we're being dishonest with ourselves. If we wouldn't be a part of it, do we think watching it is any different?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great post, sis.

I was thinking about it, actually, and am wondering whether we would be willing to be involved in the programmes we're discussing. That is to say would I, for example, be willing to publicly endorse Family Guy or Boston Legal by being in them? Probably not.

Maybe that's how we know we're being dishonest with ourselves. If we wouldn't be a part of it, do we think watching it is any different?

Yeah, Family Guy makes me laugh, but do I want others to truly know it humors me? Do I want to sit with my pastor or mother and watch it? No. Then frankly I'm a hypocrite...means I've more work to do...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
...well? I mean~if we know this is what is being shown, why do we continue to watch? Are we titillated by it? Or are we reading Playboy "just for the articles"?

Loads of stuff in the NT about this very sorta thing, isn't there? Or am I headed to fundamentalistville? :D

I usually use the fast-forward button on scenes that I find "uncomfortable". In the shows that I frequently watch, sex is a very small part of it, if at all, so I'm at least fortunate there. I generally don't have a problem with cuss words except for when they use the Lord's name in vain.

I don't think you're headed for fundyville, Jim, at least not yet! ^_^ We should be wary about what we're watching. It doesn't mean we have to stop watching anything that isn't Christian, but we have to understand how our actions affect others.

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
But Jesus was holy and he still had stuff in common without immersing Himself in the entertainments of the culture~~I mean, do ya think He'd have gone to the gladiator fights ;)

I hear what you are saying about "relevance"~I keep an eye on football scores so I'll be informed when I see guys at work...still wonder though if we aren't called out to be a more separate people sometimes...yeah des, guess my mennonite is showing a bit-still, I'm not talking about dressin' funny and painting our cars black; just pondering on the entertainment thing.

Jim, you know that when I tease you about the Mennonite thing it's only with affection, right? I have a lot of respect for the Mennonites, and am so glad I have had the chance to learn about the theology and culture (and the food, of course ;)). I even wore a Mennonite icon on my account for quite a while when I joined CF. So any day you might see a chance to tease me about my Mennonite showing too! lol

I think this is a very good issue to consider because it addresses our own weaknesses and sins instead of pointing fingers. It's good to reflect on these things and consider whether we're missing the mark or not. Not because we live in fear, but because we truly want to honour our Lord. That's never a bad thing!

There are a number of things to consider about this and some have been touched on. One is our sensitivities and sensibilities regarding various types of media. Some people can watch horror flicks on a regular basis without it affecting them one way or the other (though I have a hard time imagining how! :D), while others (like myself) cannot. I can handle the swearing on most shows, but cannot stand hearing people take the Lord's name in vain. Still, if I hear it, it will irk me, but it won't lure me into sinful behaviour. What affects one person doesn't always affect another person. My sister watches South Park and all that kind of stuff, and I have seen how it feeds a kind of negative work in her life - though it's almost more of a symptom of some pre-existing attitudes than anything. Yet, she is a believer, and still growing in her faith despite that. (And I say that as someone who used to watch South Park and know that some of it is very funny.). My point here is that we need to consider these things by using the brains God gave us, the leading of the Spirit He filled us with, and Scriptures that He has provided for us.

I do think that some things, like especially sexual content, can wear away at us over time until we're kinda numb to it, or in some cases addicted to it. So that is something we need to be on guard against. We've got to be careful not to violate our consciences into numbness. That just opens us up to worse things.

Another issue is how it looks to the world when they see us participating in these things and enjoying them right along with everyone else. I really respect John MacArthur for not going to the movies or even touching alcohol. He considers neither sinful, but he abstains anyway because he knows he's held to a higher standard and does not want to give anyone an excuse to stumble. It's a powerful example for us. How it "looks" does matter because the world is always watching and waiting to call us hypocrites.

There is also the issue of our freedom in Christ. We're not going to Hell for watching South Park or Buffy, etc. etc. And being a believer is not about denying all pleasures in life in favour of some empty, painful existance. We should appreciate the blessings He has given us here and now. But when we take pleasure in anything that takes us away from our pleasure and joy in Him, we've really got to take a hard look at it and decide if it's worth it. This is one thing that I really appreciate about John Piper. He preaches about how Christians are not to live in an ugly joyless world. God wants the opposite for us. He wants us to pursue happiness with great ferver. But as believers we must learn that the key is understanding our ultimate joy is in the Lord and so we should be seeking after Him with that unquenchable thirst. To glorify God by enjoying Him forever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jim, you know that when I tease you about the Mennonite thing it's only with affection, right? I have a lot of respect for the Mennonites, and am so glad I have had the chance to learn about the theology and culture (and the food, of course ;)). I even wore a Mennonite icon on my account for quite a while when I joined CF. So any day you might see a chance to tease me about my Mennonite showing too! lol

I think this is a very good issue to consider because it addresses our own weaknesses and sins instead of pointing fingers. It's good to reflect on these things and consider whether we're missing the mark or not. Not because we live in fear, but because we truly want to honour our Lord. That's never a bad thing!

There are a number of things to consider about this and some have been touched on. One is our sensitivities and sensibilities regarding various types of media. Some people can watch horror flicks on a regular basis without it affecting them one way or the other (though I have a hard time imagining how! :D), while others (like myself) cannot. I can handle the swearing on most shows, but cannot stand hearing people take the Lord's name in vain. Still, if I hear it, it will irk me, but it won't lure me into sinful behaviour. What affects one person doesn't always affect another person. My sister watches South Park and all that kind of stuff, and I have seen how it feeds a kind of negative work in her life - though it's almost more of a symptom of some pre-existing attitudes than anything. Yet, she is a believer, and still growing in her faith despite that. (And I say that as someone who used to watch South Park and know that some of it is very funny.). My point here is that we need to consider these things by using the brains God gave us, the leading of the Spirit He filled us with, and Scriptures that He had provided for us.

I do think that some things, like especially sexual content, can wear away at us over time until we're kinda numb to it, or in some cases addicted to it. So that is something we need to be on guard against. We've got to be careful not to violate our consciences into numbness. That just opens us up to worse things.

Another issue is how it looks to the world when they see us participating in these things and enjoying them right along with everyone else. I really respect John MacArthur for not going to the movies or even touching alcohol. He considers neither sinful, but he abstains anyway because he knows he's held to a higher standard and does not want to give anyone an excuse to stumble. It's a powerful example for us. How it "looks" does matter because the world is always watching and waiting to call us hypocrites.

There is also the issue of our freedom in Christ. We're not going to Hell for watching South Park or Buffy, etc. etc. And being a believer is not about denying all pleasures in life in favour of some empty, painful existance. We should appreciate the blessings He has given us here and now. But when we take pleasure in anything that takes us away from our pleasure and joy in Him, we've really got to take a hard look at it and decide if it's worth it. This is one thing that I really appreciate about John Piper. He preaches about how Christians are not to live in an ugly joyless world. God wants the opposite for us. He wants us to pursue happiness with great ferver. But as believers we must learn that the key is understanding our ultimate joy is in the Lord and so we should be seeking after Him with that unquenchable thirst. To glorify God by enjoying Him forever.

:cool:

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I don't think you're headed for fundyville, Jim, at least not yet! ^_^

Actually our club is filled to capacity right now, but we'll be sure to let you know if we have any openings in the future. :D:D:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 29, 2006
✟10,867.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
ok, can I comment as a family guy and south park fan? As well as a fundie and conservative according to the FSG's?

I find these shows funny, I think that they are clever, and I think that the times that they mock Christianity is actually not that often - and not that offensive, however we do turn it off if it becomes over the top. We have put in the bin DVD's that we purchased because they crossed the line from clever commentary to outright blasphemy, including a futurama and family guy... maybe there's not a line there for others but it's clear for us... But then I refuse to watch the supernatural one's like Ghost Whisperer etc...
But then we are more strict in other areas too... like music for instance...
I don't know... I think it's just about being sensitive to the Lord's leading and not being rebellious when He shows you something to change...
sometimes being a christian with a sense of humour is not a hinderance! :p

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You know it's funny how different people are - I know some Christians that smoke cigarettes for many years and don't quit, yet others, God removes it immediately from them without any trouble.

I think God convicts us in different areas in different levels also.
I'm not convicted not to watch anything scary (I mean some stuff I watch I have no conviction of whatsoever) - and other things I have an immediate conviction of.

GM mentions Hostel & Saw - those torture flicks I stay away from - yet some 'scary' stuff on the Sci Fi channel doesn't bother me any, like Cabin Fever or Jeepers Creepers, & other stuff

My mom has no interest in horror & most rated R movies, yet she'll watch the news w/ politics and be all upset and fuming over democrats doing or saying something and it upsets her whole day...

Some people in the TV thread said they watched South Park - that to me is like the worst of the worst w/ blasphemy & mocking God and many other things...
I think it's important not to judge people in these areas & to be careful with that. (not that anyone has here).

Ya know I've had a sneaking suspicion that there's something not quite right with you and now I have my proof. How anyone could watch that scene in Cabin Fever with the girl shaving in the bathtub and not think anything of it, is definitely beyond me. That scene gets me every time I see it. Oooh, just the thought. LOL

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ya know I've had a sneaking suspicion that there's something not quite right with you and now I have my proof. How anyone could watch that scene in Cabin Fever with the girl shaving in the bathtub and not think anything of it, is definitely beyond me. That scene gets me every time I see it. Oooh, just the thought. LOL
^_^
(pssst: I turn the channel at that part every time. I've never seen it) LOL

*wimp*

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

That scene creeped me out in the PREVIEWS! I can't watch slash 'em movies like that.

I got the willies already and it's not even 8am yet!!

Upvote 0

GreenMunchkin

Likes things. And stuff. But mostly things.
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2007
United Kingdom of wo0t
✟99,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ya know, I just tried to watch the latest episode of Supernatural, because I wanted to see if it would take on a Christian ethos, but my "spiritual alarm bells" went beserk :scratch:

I really, really believe bad stuff attaches itself to shows like that.

Reactions: desmalia
Upvote 0