Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:wave: Yeah, guilty right here-I watched Independence Day last night. I'm no Hollywood shunner, but find myself falling under some kind of conviction of late.

Does Christ share our entertainment tastes? Why are we are amused by the same Godless entertainment the world loves?
Ooooooooooooh, mine is definitely not His taste - I do like some scary/horror flix ... mostly Rated R stuff.

Honestly, the only stuff a Christian can watch without any guilt bores me to death. For example, Little House on the Prairie & the Waltons -
Old comedy probly, like I love Lucy? Gameshows are probly ok... gotta be careful with the news if you watch too much of that....
Some reality shows like Project Runway I don't think are against God's will (then again, alot of it is on Bravo channel, a pro gay channel promoting homosexuals):sorry:

So, I don't know why our tastes are like that. This happens even in Vid games which I was going to make a thread on.

I think you're limited and maybe it's a matter of self discipline. I haven't bought a TON Of vid games that interest me becuz I won't buy anything that deals w/ the occult/demons & use magick/spells etc. so that rules out alot of games I could play.

I do draw a line, but probly not enough of one.

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Jim, your Mennonite is showing AGAIN! :p

Actually yes, I agree this is a really good subject to consider. Where do we draw the line? I'm sure there are some things that I've enjoyed or even still do that are not exactly edifying to believers. I have drawn some lines, as I'm sure we all have. It's easy for me to skip the horror stuff because it gives me nightmares. So that one isn't an issue for me. I used to watch Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy, but was finally convicted to a point that I could not watch anymore. I liked the writing in both, but they were just too racy to continue watching. Torchwood looked very promising as a new sci-fi series, but episode two looked more like soft inappropriate content, and in their ads they talk a lot about how sexuality is an important part of the show. So no more of that one for me!

It's an interesting challenge figuring out where to draw that line. Yes we have that freedom in Christ, but we also have a desire to do what honours Him in our lives. And exposing ourselves to a lot of the crap out there really doesn't.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm a big fan of shows that may not necessarily be Christian, but that have an underlying theme of good versus evil, with good winning most of the time. The CSI genre is by far my favorite.

I, too, enjoy some of the reality shows. I'm a huge Big Brother junkie and I like the intervention shows on A&E.

We do watch movies and stuff that aren't always Christian, too. Hubby and I just watched American Gangster the other day, and I'll probably be watching Street Kings before I go to bed tonight.

Upvote 0

GreenMunchkin

Likes things. And stuff. But mostly things.
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2007
United Kingdom of wo0t
✟99,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a good thread, Jimminy :scratch:

Dunno, actually. Have found that as I "mature" (not to say am anything other than a baby in all of this still) He's sort of removed my desire to watch anything too dark. I mentioned my obsession with Buffy and Supernatural (etc... there's a wealth of shows like that) before Him - He cut that short, praise Him. Prior to becoming a Christian, I was sort of into films like Saw and Hostel, and He commanded me to destroy them within a week or so of meeting Him. Anything like that now is bleh, too.

I won't watch anything sexually graphic, or anything that glorifies satan or demonics (for example, I keep hearing Pan's Labyrinth is *stunning*, but I won't watch it), and I won't watch anything that mocks the Lord. That being said, I still love Family Guy and Boston Legal and they're a little mocky sometimes.

You know you get these Christians who almost speak in Bible verse? Sometimes I wonder how they can reach out to people who aren't Christian; how they relate to them on a personal level. Because, while we're not to be *of* the world, we do live in it. We grow up in it and adapt to it, and many of us come to Christ later on. I don't think there's anything inherently sinful about movies, etc, providing it doesn't become an idol, or a way to take the focus off Christ. (Which is something Nadiine helped me with last week, actually.)

I don't think we should ever believe that Jesus is staid, and dull. He went to parties, and laughed, and made wine, and danced, and He was funny in a dry, slightly snarky way. The world has moved on, and if He was here in the flesh, I truly believe He'd go to the movies every now and then, too, and He'd hang out with us and make us laugh. Because *none* of that would detract from Him preaching and teaching and witnessing and being Jesus. That being said, I definitely think we expose ourselves to things that don't glorify Him, and that's not something He would do.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You know it's funny how different people are - I know some Christians that smoke cigarettes for many years and don't quit, yet others, God removes it immediately from them without any trouble.

I think God convicts us in different areas in different levels also.
I'm not convicted not to watch anything scary (I mean some stuff I watch I have no conviction of whatsoever) - and other things I have an immediate conviction of.

GM mentions Hostel & Saw - those torture flicks I stay away from - yet some 'scary' stuff on the Sci Fi channel doesn't bother me any, like Cabin Fever or Jeepers Creepers, & other stuff

My mom has no interest in horror & most rated R movies, yet she'll watch the news w/ politics and be all upset and fuming over democrats doing or saying something and it upsets her whole day...

Some people in the TV thread said they watched South Park - that to me is like the worst of the worst w/ blasphemy & mocking God and many other things...
I think it's important not to judge people in these areas & to be careful with that. (not that anyone has here).

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Buffy? Did someone mention Buffy?

I own the entire series of Buffy and Angel. I loved them both. Never agreed with the "theology" that Angel had to somehow redeem himself because he got this magical soul, but it would good entertainment nonetheless.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Buffy? Did someone mention Buffy?

I own the entire series of Buffy and Angel. I loved them both. Never agreed with the "theology" that Angel had to somehow redeem himself because he got this magical soul, but it would good entertainment nonetheless.
I was convicted about watching Buffy too - it started in the season when one of them got started into witchcraft and was doing spells & stuff.
When it gets into witchcraft, I draw my line and have to cut it off.

Unfortunately, that type of stuff popularizes paganism with teens.

But I definitely think that some things can do some spiritual harm to us and/or others depending on their content - but it's nothing I care to go into detail about.

I think we're all different in these areas, but should be open to the Spirit if we're being called to come out of something.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I didn't care for the whole magic stuff in Buffy because it seemed to be such a distraction, aside from the whole pagan/wiccan argument.

I did like how they moved it into an addiction storyline, although it was rather annoying hearing from the pro LBGT people that this was an attempt to make lesbianism look bad, since Willow was a lesbian at this point in time. I did not care for that storyline at all.

I totally understand those who dislike Buffy or other series like it. I respect it, too. I don't think they're being fuddy duddies or prude or whatever. I started watching a movie last week, Alpha Dog, because the premise looked really good. However, in the first five minutes of the show there had already been 15 or more F-bombs dropped. Not my type of entertainment.

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Interesting stuff…I think…God knows each and everyone of us on such a personal level…He knows what to “censor” so to speak, by the Holy Spirit, for each of us.

I used to be a total Sci Fi/Horror freak…and I still am…only now I’ll start to watch something and I pretty much know right away if this is some place God doesn’t want my brain to go…

Not just Sci Fi but any thing R rated I usually don’t even bother to take a look at. And sadly these days…even some PG13 is a little more than I care to be exposed to.

I used to love watching Boston Legal…then it just got so deviant, bizarre and twisted with a monumental LW agenda…I had to say bye-bye

Reactions: desmalia
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting stuff…I think…God knows each and everyone of us on such a personal level…He knows what to “censor” so to speak, by the Holy Spirit, for each of us.

I used to be a total Sci Fi/Horror freak…and I still am…only now I’ll start to watch something and I pretty much know right away if this is some place God doesn’t want my brain to go…

Not just Sci Fi but any thing R rated I usually don’t even bother to take a look at. And sadly these days…even some PG13 is a little more than I care to be exposed to.

I used to love watching Boston Legal…then it just got so deviant, bizarre and twisted with a monumental LW agenda…I had to say bye-bye
That's mainly how it works for me too - and I always tell my husband jokingly when a series first starts & it's great "well, I wonder how many seasons it will take to totally ruin this show?".

I remember the sitcom "Friends" was hilarious the first 2 seasons. By season 3 in came all the filth & liberalism, so I stopped watching it at season 3.
Alot of movies I'll watch but flip the channel at a 'bad' part, then turn it back to miss it. Hollywood could have some GREAT stuff if they'de just keep out some of the bad parts they gratuitously throw in there.

But for some movies, the whole content is mature, so you either watch it or you don't.
I absolutely loved Basic Instinct - I thought it was well written & unpredictable ... but look what you have to watch to enjoy it. :/
I also LOVED Hannibal & Silence of the Lambs.

By the way, I saw David B. on a short clip at the recent Emmy's, and they did a closeup on his socks... THAT GUY HAS HUGE FEEEEET! lol
(that or the camera angel was realllly bad.) lol

*I just noticed I typed angel instead of angle - I'll pretend I intended some witty pun w/ my Angel typo*
:|

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GreenMunchkin

Likes things. And stuff. But mostly things.
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2007
United Kingdom of wo0t
✟99,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think this is key in some ways. God doesn't want me to watch occult stuff because I used to be so involved in it, so it can be a trigger. For others, it may not be an issue. I do still wonder whether there isn't some spiritual aspect to exposing ourselves to it, but that's where we trust the Holy Spirit, I guess.

Agree regarding the agenda. Actually, I recently reviewed season 4 on Amazon and had to give it low marks because it's so patently LW. Too political for its own good.

That being said, it was *merciless* about $cientology - I actually cheered and fell in love with it all over again. It looks like they know they've crossed a line, though, and I hear they're gonna dial it all back for season 5. Tis the last season and it'll only have 13 episodes, so hopefully they'll go out on a bang.

All I can say is...I LOVE David Boreanez and I'm so glad he's a G-man now and no longer a Vampire...LOL
x 2. A lot.

CarolynH said:
I have issues with some movies...I know that I cannot watch them. I stay to G and PG rated films. I enjoy Shrek-1, 2, and 3, Madagascar...I am boring!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Love Ben-Hur, and West Side Story.....
That doesn't make you boring, sis! To be honest, I think you've drawn the line in the right place :hug:

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are we allowing some kind of demonic activity if we allow this kind of unGodly recreation? Are we opening ourselves up to hypocrisy if we laugh at the same kinds of sinful humor the unregenerate laugh at?

Remember that old guideline: Would you want Jesus sitting next to you while you were watching Family Guy? ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Carolyn H

Sep 13, 2008
New York, NY
✟8,367.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I do not know The Family Guy, But I know Jesus would introduce me to The Woman at the Well, And Mary Magdalene, Tax collectors...lepers, The man with a legion of Demons. Lots of interesting people!!! I am glad they were Loved by Jesus...They weren't perfect, and neither am I.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are we allowing some kind of demonic activity if we allow this kind of unGodly recreation? Are we opening ourselves up to hypocrisy if we laugh at the same kinds of sinful humor the unregenerate laugh at?

Remember that old guideline: Would you want Jesus sitting next to you while you were watching Family Guy? ;)
Ok, when people use this question, it causes me to answer "no" to nearly everything that doesn't involve reading my bible or praying specifically.

I promise you that if you asked if I'd feel comfortable while I had any physical "relations" with my husband, I'd also answer no when it isn't sin at all.
I wouldn't drink any alcohol, I wouldn't watch any tv, I wouldn't go to any parties, I wouldn't listen to anything but Christian songs or classical music, I wouldn't take a shower ... etc. etc. lol

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok, when people use this question, it causes me to answer "no" to nearly everything that doesn't involve reading my bible or praying specifically.

I promise you that if you asked if I'd feel comfortable while I had any physical "relations" with my husband, I'd also answer no when it isn't sin at all.
I wouldn't drink any alcohol, I wouldn't watch any tv, I wouldn't go to any parties, I wouldn't listen to anything but Christian songs or classical music, I wouldn't take a shower ... etc. etc. lol

:confused:It would seem we could separate some things here; after all, we're conservatives....suppose two people have the same identical lifestyle but their religious beliefs are different, say Christian conservative vs. Christian liberal. If the lifestyle is the same, is there really any difference between the two?

I mean, is this as good as we get?

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are we allowing some kind of demonic activity if we allow this kind of unGodly recreation?
I do personally believe that yes we can open up spiritual attack if we watch certain types of occult activity(bring it into our home or allow demonic activity in)... this is where I rely on the Spirit directly with conviction.
If anything, some of it can eventually open us up to spiritual apathy or blindness. It happened to me before

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do personally believe that yes we can open up spiritual attack if we watch certain types of occult activity(bring it into our home or allow demonic activity in)... this is where I rely on the Spirit directly with conviction.

Only occultic stuff~not just the everyday run-of-the-mill sin stuff (adultery, blasphemy, etc)??

If anything, some of it can eventually open us up to spiritual apathy or blindness. It happened to me before

Yikes, what happened~maybe it's where I'm headed...?

I just checked the mail~new Netflix just came in the mail....:o

Upvote 0