• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

History of Icons

Discussion in 'St. Justin Martyr's Corner: Debate an Orthodox Chr' started by JM, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Ignatius21

Ignatius21 Can somebody please pass the incense?

+291
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I'm kind of bummed that this thread more or less "up and died."

I've always seen threads like these derail and then end, when the topic is brought back to an examination of the underlying assumptions behind someone's biblical interpretations.

2. Sakuramochi

Sakuramochi Newbie

+0
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    No prob, anytime ;)

3. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+1,665
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    This is quite true. The origins for praying to the saints and venerating icons is from the martyrs. The placing of relics into the altar is vaguely referenced to in Revelation 6.9 The first mention of an artifact coming from the body of a saint with healing properties is that of handkerchiefs of Paul found in Acts 19.12.

By the second century drawings appear in the catacombs. The first mention of a miraculous icon is in the Doctrine of Addai in 400AD. It is about the image of Edessa.

4. JM

JM Absolute Predestinarian Supporter

+1,907
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Last Friday I talked with a Russian Orthodox priest who embodied the meaning of being a follower of Christ and feel thoroughly rebuked. I was seeking a place to pray and, as I’m sure you know it was Bright Week, came to a Russian Orthodox church just in time for the Divine Liturgy. After the service the priest introduced himself to me and we talked. I hope to continue dialoguing with him via email.

I just wanted to apologize to everyone for being so aggressive and abrasive in our exchanges.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

5. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+10,772
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    it happens brother, to all of us. forgive me as well for any aggressive/stubborn/etc responses I may have had.

great news you are talking to him. you should keep us in the loop how it goes!

Christ is risen!

6. JM

+1,907
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
  7. tapi

tapi Regular Member

+244
    Finland
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Glory to God for your spiritually beneficial visit. May He also heal your son, and help for a fast and successful recovery. :crosseo:

May God bless you and keep you.

8. JeremiahsBulldog

JeremiahsBulldog Careful, he bites!

+18
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    At the end of my posts #114 and #115, I promised to write about icons in the New Testament. Sorry about the long delay. Here is the short answer:

Mt 22:15 -22 ; Mk 12: 13 - 17; and Lu 20: 20 - 26. In these passages, Christ responds to a question about taxes by asking who's image and inscription is on the money. The last part of His reply implies a distinction between sacred and secular images.

St. John of Damascus argued that this was Christ giving His approval to icons.

PS

My "Jeremiahsbulldog" profile was recently deleted for some reason. Hence, I had to return to my older "theophilite" profile.

More details in my signature, below.

9. ArmyMatt

+10,772
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Welcome back and good info!

10. JM

+1,907
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Thank you. Would you have a link to the work of John of Damascus? I'm interested in how he viewed the passages you sited above.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

11. tapi

tapi Regular Member

+244
    Finland
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
  12. JM

+1,907
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Thank you tapi.

I'll have a look at it tonight.

13. JeremiahsBulldog

JeremiahsBulldog Careful, he bites!

+18
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I looked again, and what I found is St. John's Apologia against Those who Decry the Holy Images, part II. Go down to page 70, in the middle of the page, the line that begins, "He answered them:".

14. JM

+1,907
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Excellent example of eisegesis! Thank you.

15. truefiction1

truefiction1 Fool

+1,601
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I'm curious, JM, about your spiritual reaction to the icon that I've chosen to be my CF avatar.

upload_2017-1-6_20-25-39.png

16. ArmyMatt

+10,772
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    St John is a master when it comes to that kinda stuff

17. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+5,122
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    "eisegesis"?

18. ArmyMatt

+10,772
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    oh, haha, I thought it was exegesis. now that I just looked up eisegesis, I would love to see any evidence that supports that is what St John was doing.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  19. JM

+1,907
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    The first reaction is that icons are beautiful! I still own icons and they hang on the wall in my study, however, I also am quickly reminded that if used in a religious sense they will quickly become idols.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

20. truefiction1

truefiction1 Fool

+1,601
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Used in a religious sense... Do you consider using the fragrant oil that miraculously streams from this particular icon (the miraculous myrrh streaming icon of Iveron) for the purpose of anointing believers for potential healing of diseases to be "using the icon in a religious sense"? When a person who is anointed with the oil from the icon is healed of a serious, incurable disease, is it considered religious use if we give glory to God on account of it? Or is this idolatry?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017