indianx

Veteran
May 30, 2005
✟9,418.00
Faith
Hindu
http://www.hindubooks.org/david_frawley/

These are a few books by David Frawley (Vamadeva Shashtri). I think From the River of Heaven and Hinduism: The Eternal Tradition, Sanatana Dharma are a good introduction into Hinduism. Since he is coming from an American point of view, it might be helpful to an American audience.

Upvote 0

markbelieves

May 18, 2005
PA
✟8,862.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Check out the library if you have one close to you. I am currently reading two books for a class I am taking. "The World Religions", and "Religious Traditions of the World." Both pretty good complements to each other. The first is more theological and the second goes a little deeper into the traditions of various religions. Obviously by the title you can tell they discuss more than Hinduism but there is ample information about all of the major world religions. The traditions book has about 150 pages devoted to Hinduism.

Mark

Upvote 0

selwyn

Jun 27, 2005
Vermont
✟15,795.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
indianx said:
http://www.hindubooks.org/david_frawley/

These are a few books by David Frawley (Vamadeva Shashtri). I think From the River of Heaven and Hinduism: The Eternal Tradition, Sanatana Dharma are a good introduction into Hinduism. Since he is coming from an American point of view, it might be helpful to an American audience.

Well. Is that a localized version so that americans can understand it much more easily? (Just like the localized Mcdonalds in India)

Upvote 0

indianx

Veteran
May 30, 2005
✟9,418.00
Faith
Hindu
selwyn said:
Well. Is that a localized version so that americans can understand it much more easily? (Just like the localized Mcdonalds in India)

Nope, it's a good book that will help educate any one on Hinduism no matter an Indian or American. You probably got it confused with all the propaganda that Christian missionaries hand out in local languages to get the poor to convert.

Upvote 0

satay

Veteran
May 17, 2005
Canada
Visit site
✟17,045.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Married
indianx said:
Nope, it's a good book that will help educate any one on Hinduism no matter an Indian or American. You probably got it confused with all the propaganda that Christian missionaries hand out in local languages to get the poor to convert.

Not to mention the pictures of mary with indian sari and bindhi and yogi jesus like a sadhu kinda confusing to uneducated souls like me.

satay

Upvote 0

selwyn

Jun 27, 2005
Vermont
✟15,795.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
indianx said:

What language is the book that you are recommending written in?

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ram said:
Hey selwyn, you seem to have a clear agenda of putting down Hinduism - why do you want to do that when you have no knowledge of it or even dont want to know about it?

Wait, I thought I already carried the unhappy label of Hindu-basher. :confused:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

selwyn

Jun 27, 2005
Vermont
✟15,795.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ram said:
Hey selwyn, you seem to have a clear agenda of putting down Hinduism - ?

Who told you that?

Ram said:
why do you want to do that when you have no knowledge of it

Again, who told you that?

Ram said:
or even dont want to know about it?

Is n't that you in one of your posts, told that no one ever needs to know anything about hinduism and whether one wants to know about hinduism or not, it hardly matters for hinduism? Now why do you want me to know about the "hinduism" that you and your friends are preaching here? By the way, are you really sure that I don't know anything about hinduism at all? Or are you assuming these things because of the questions that I ask here? Do you know everything about hinduism?

Moreover, am I bringing down hinduism here or is it you guys here who have reduced the hinduism to :) and nothing else bringing down hinduism here?

Honestly, if few people here claiming to be "hindus" with "infinite knowledge" about anything and everything could reduce hinduism to a sorry state of simple smilies rather than answering the questions put forward over here by people willing to involve in some good discussion, how are you guys hoping to accuse others here of trying to bring down hinduism? Do you really think that people from other religions are even needed to bring down your hinduism here in addition to what you guys have done here on your own to bring down your own so called "sanatana dharma"? If the so called "eternal sanatana dharma" could be reduced so easily to an insignificant smilie without any answers or explanations by some of you here after facing very few simple questions, how do you guys think that someone from other faith will even waste his time trying to pull down hinduism? You guys are good enough to do that. By the way, are you the one who claimed here that hinduism could never be pulled down and that it is "eternal"? Why should you ever even bother accusing anyone here that they are trying to bring down hinduism if you are so confident that any such attempts are futile and useless? I am really surprised how you guys could cry foul now when people here are asking some simple basic questions based on what you guys have proclaimed here to be the so called "hinduism" (which infact has been customized, diluted, flavored and marketed by you all to suit the international community here) while trying your level best to tear apart people of every other religion here!!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.