Rishon Letsiyon
✟8,431.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone, sorry to jump in here out of nowhere again. I hope its okay if I ask a few questions about the subject of Jesus being the Messiah, which is the basic belief in Christianity, and I have alot of questions about Jesus and about him being the Messiah or not. If you cant answer all the questions, please answer what you can, or what you know, the best you can. You dont have to answer all the questions, but if you answer all, I'd appreciate that and thats what I prefer, of course. However, I understand some questions might be difficult, and thats okay.

1. There is no text in the scripture that explicitly states Jesus is the Messiah, but there are mostly only hints about it, without an explicit statement. Doesnt it require an explicit statement in the scriptures, or would you say it remains a belief, and some christians arent 100% sure he is the messiah?

2. Was Jesus born in Jerusalem, Nazareth, or Bethlehem, or where? Why are there different statements about it and various possible places, and which one is correct?

3. I was born in Jerusalem, not far from where he was crucified. Does it make me special, do you think its a honor to grow up close to that, or is not such a special thing to be excited about?

4. The miracle they made up in the scriptures about Jesus appearing magically in the vagina of his mother, is it true or only something his followers made up while writing the scriptures?

5. Who wrote the scriptures, who is the author?

6. Is there a hebrew version of the New Testament, if yes, where can I read?

7. If I ask questions in Hebrew, does anyone on the forums understand the language, or not?

8. Am I the only member from Israel around here?

Thank you.

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,408.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone, sorry to jump in here out of nowhere again. I hope its okay if I ask a few questions about the subject of Jesus being the Messiah, which is the basic belief in Christianity, and I have alot of questions about Jesus and about him being the Messiah or not. If you cant answer all the questions, please answer what you can, or what you know, the best you can. You dont have to answer all the questions, but if you answer all, I'd appreciate that and thats what I prefer, of course. However, I understand some questions might be difficult, and thats okay.

1. There is no text in the scripture that explicitly states Jesus is the Messiah, but there are mostly only hints about it, without an explicit statement. Doesnt it require an explicit statement in the scriptures, or would you say it remains a belief, and some christians arent 100% sure he is the messiah?

2. Was Jesus born in Jerusalem, Nazareth, or Bethlehem, or where? Why are there different statements about it and various possible places, and which one is correct?

3. I was born in Jerusalem, not far from where he was crucified. Does it make me special, do you think its a honor to grow up close to that, or is not such a special thing to be excited about?

4. The miracle they made up in the scriptures about Jesus appearing magically in the vagina of his mother, is it true or only something his followers made up while writing the scriptures?

7. If I ask questions in Hebrew, does anyone on the forums understand the language, or not?

Thank you.

2. I only know of the explicit mention of Bethlehem for Jesus' birth.

3. It does not make you more special in terms of value, but it makes you privileged in a sense you can easily visit those places :)

4. Different views exist on Scriptural authority/infallibility and how the NT writings came into being and what type/level of inspiration was in place. But in general one might say that eyewitnesses didn't have much reason to suffer or die for a myth they created themselves. E.g. the discipline John wrote the Gospel of John - he testifies about his experiences. Paul does the same in his writings. The book of Acts is a wonderful historical approach to the very early church period. People may claim all kind of miracles are just made up with authors engaging in wishful thinking (difficult to prove/disprove), but the fact remains that e.g. Paul underwent a dramatic change in this life because of a miracle - Yeshua (= Jesus) revealed himself to him. Do you allow yourself to believe God does miracles? That he really sometimes dabble into the supernatural?

5. The New Covenant (=New Testament) books are written by a variety of authors (Matthew, Mark (possibly writing on behalf of Peter), Luke, John, Paul, Peter, James & Jude. The author of the books of 'Hebrews' is unknown but scholars have speculated on its authorship. Going through these writings I personally sense God's guidance in their content. I do not feel it is necessary to claim infallibility - the original manuscripts we do not possess anymore; we only have copies of copies of copies etc.. Still the science of Textual Criticism tries to most reliably reconstruct the most probable original text - and that to me is reliable enough to provide a sufficiently clear picture of what happened; and I can confidently base my faith on that. I hope you can as well.

6. Getting a New Testament in Hebrew in Israel is difficult indeed, but try to contact these guys (ראשי | הברית החדשה - הברית החדשה); they will direct you in finding a Hebrew NT. Bear in mind that in contrast to the TNK (Tora, Prophets & Writings), all of the NT writings were written in Greek with the exception of the Gospel of Matthew which was written in Hebrew, but the original Hebrew version got lost and now only the Greek translation of that is available. Jesus himself probably spoke Aramaic and Hebrew.

7. Some may understand your questions, but as this is an English language forum, it may not be very helpful as it would exclude many from answering your questions. Do you mean you would struggle communicating in English?

8. Probably not

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Try this site

For it to work, as far as I can tell, you select a book of the Bible or a verse to compare with the KJV against multiple versions available.

The one selected for this link was Malachi KJV versus selected Hebrew version.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Read John 1:1-14

then

Read John 8:12-59

Jesus specifically says "I AM," which is the same Moses heard God say to him from the burning bush.

Remember, faith is a gift from God, it is His revelation to the individual, however that may happen.

Religion is the person's response to the faith they have received.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

The New Testament is full to the brim with calling Jesus the Messiah, explicitly. Jesus Christ means "Jesus the Messiah". Christos is the literal translation of the Hebrew word meshiach into Greek.

The New Testament only gives one birth-place for Jesus, and that's Bethlehem. Which is what Christians have always believed.

I don't think it makes someone special. But I would argue that it is an honor to be able to live so close to where such important things took place, and there is a privilege in being able to more easily experience those ancient sacred sites which, in generations past, were very difficult for Christian pilgrims.

Saying it was made up suggests fabrication. Christians believe, as the Scriptures testify and the Church has always believed, that the Lord Jesus Christ was conceived in the womb of His mother, Mary, who was a virgin and that this was by the power of God the Holy Spirit. He is the true Child of His blessed virgin mother.

A lot of different people. By the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Bible is a library of many books. Some of the books have known authors, some of the books have anonymous authors, but what they have in common is that they have been received and accepted in the Christian Church as the written word of God, Holy Scripture.

There are translations of the New Testament into Hebrew.

There may be posters here who are fluent in Hebrew. They would have to say so themselves.

Thank you.

That I don't know.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0