Hi There! Can I get a 'basics' rundown, please?

LovenLight

Jan 1, 2012
Sydney-Western Suburbs
✟7,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
Hi All!
I am a new christian, soaking up all there is to learn from this forum.
I have just been to wikipedia, searching The Original Christian Church, it took me to a page called, you already know dont you?, Eastern Orthodox.
WT?? Is that all true? Well, well hasnt THAT been kept under wraps?!?(just jest)
Can I ask for a 'Basics' rundown, please? Or an Idiot's guide to Eastern orthodox?
Thank You so, so much.
I feel a little like I just discovered a GINORMOUS intersection. Ill just stand here a while, I think and LEARN
some more!
Much LovenLight To You and Thank You xx

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Basic? In Orthodoxy? LoL, you might be in for a very long thread.

The very most utter basic thing I can think of would be The Creed. A good history of The Creed would be here.

The second biggest difference between Protestantism (which I assume is your background, it might help us a bit more if you told us which flavor you claim - there're more differences for us to explain to an Evangelical than a traditional Anglican for example) would be authority. For Protestants all authority comes from The Bible - if it's not in The Bible it's not kosher. For Orthodoxy it (and this can be confusing at first) it's The Faith. Sometimes that's called "Tradition" which encompasses Scripture, the 7 Ecumenical Councils, our hymns, the Liturgy (our church service) our prayers, the writings of the Fathers, Saints, and Iconography. These all teach us The Faith, and if something is started somewhere that goes against The Faith, or Tradition, or "What has always been believed" it's heretical and abandoned.

We believe in most of the standard Christian doctrines (we should - we formulated them, always with God's help of course) the Divinity of Christ, the Virgin Birth, the Resurrection, the Ascension into Heaven, etc. Heck most of these are in The Creed. We also have a few many Protestants aren't familiar with - we venerate the saints, because by honoring the saints we honor their Maker. Just as if you were to paint a gorgeous picture and I said "That painting is amazing" you would say "thank you". You recognize that the praise is truly directed to you.

We also believe that when Christ Resurrected He renewed The Earth, and that process is ongoing. As such we don't recognize any distinction between spiritual and physical. What we do physically affects what we do spiritually. We kiss a LOT of things because they represent something of God's, or because we honor God by doing so by honoring His creation, or because it represents someone we love (a saint).

That's some of it...

Upvote 0

LovenLight

Jan 1, 2012
Sydney-Western Suburbs
✟7,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
Thank You!
Yes, I come from a basic Anglican understanding, however THAT is also limited by the fact that I have only just become a christian, I dont have a church attending history, so very much a blank slate, though ANY understanding I do have is rooted in the Anglican flavour.
And Im kinda getting that, Eatern Orthodox is quite invloved/indepth, yes?
Again, Thank You xx
LovenLight

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you have been to any Anglican liturgical ceremony, then you will notice some similarities.

For example, at our Divine Liturgy where Holy Communion is served, our priests wear beautiful vestments, use a golden censor filled with very aromatic incense, carry the Epistle and Gospel books in procession, and also carry the chalice at the Great Entrance. Our choirs sing ancient chants, not modern hymns.

Basically, the Divine Liturgy appeals to all the senses: sight, smell, hearing, touch, and taste.

As we like to say: Come and see that the Lord is good ... taste the food of immortality.

However, Holy Communion is reserved for those who are Orthodox in good standing: having received Holy Confession recently, and having had their marriage blessed by an Orthodox Priest. The reason for closed communion is that we truly believe that Christ is present in the Holy Eucharist and that Holy Communion is an ecclesiastical reality ... a sign that we are Orthodox Christians.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,480,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
well, for starters, welcome to TAW!

WT?? Is that all true? Well, well hasnt THAT been kept under wraps?!?(just jest)

yep it is, if one looks at history, Eastern Orthodoxy is the Church that has not added, subtracted, or distorted the faith from Christ to today. if you google Church Fathers, and have a fair amount of time, you can see the writings through the centuries.

Can I ask for a 'Basics' rundown, please? Or an Idiot's guide to Eastern orthodox?

yep, go to a Divine Liturgy when you can, prolly best in English, and the talk to the priest afterwards.

And Im kinda getting that, Eatern Orthodox is quite invloved/indepth, yes?

yep it is. we read, touch, smell, taste, hear, sing, kiss, etc our faith.

so, I say, look around your area to see where your closest Church is, check out a service some time and start talking to Father. keep us posted on your journey!

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Take your time and enjoy the search. Its easy as a new christian to try to absorb everything and finally it can burn you out. Heck theres an ongoing thread about movies which had either Orthodox characters or scenes of Orthodox christianity, that might give you a first hint

Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Orthodox Church is the Church established by Christ through the Holy Spirit at Pentecost! We worship the Trinity and uphold apostolic teaching through the grace of the Holy Spirit. Christ is central to everything we do and our services show this. We've never had a reformation, but have 2000 years of doctrine traceable through history, if you like that kind of thing. Our life is in the Eucharist, and our prayer is Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Visit your local parish to find out more!
OrthodoxyinAmerica.org

Upvote 0

ikonographics

In patience I waited patiently on the Lord
Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to TAW!
A good intorduction to the Orthodox Church and Faith is the so-called "rainbow series" of books by Fr Thomas Hopko. You can read them online here. You can also listen to podcasts about Orthodoxy by Fr Thomas and many others on Ancient Faith Radio.
If you have any specific questions, ask away! But most importantly "Come and see!" and visit an Orthodox Church. Orthodoxy is about experiencing God. We have some other Australians on the forum who may be able to help you find a church nearby.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi, fellow Aussie! :) I'm in Adelaide so I'm only sort of helpful, but I know people who've lived in Sydney (and some who have been priests there!) and could help you find a Church so you could come experience the Liturgy. You could go to the Cathedral in Redfern (yes, of all places!!) but it would be entirely in Greek I think which might be a bit of an issue.

If you want to PM me, I can find you a Church after chatting to my Sydney-knowing friends, and maybe some helpful people to give you a hand. There's also a *wonderful* pair of monasteries up in Gosford (I know it's a way to drive, but worth it!), a male monastery and a female one (in English we'd usually say a convent) about 15 minutes from one another up on Mangrove Mountain. I know that there are English speaking monks and nuns who'd love to help you out and teach you if you'd be interested :)

I'll see what I can find around Sydney first though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Here are parishes in Sydney that do English services, or have some English in their ordinary services :) Hopefully there's somewhere on here that you can get to? If you can't, let me know and I'll talk to my friends about finding a parish where you can find some help :)

Churches in Australia using English :: Introduction to Orthodoxy

Really and truly, the best way to learn about Orthodoxy is to experience it - so come and see! My first service (Vespers, the Saturday evening service) was in English - but the next morning was mostly in Arabic! We manage, and service books are awesome. I can send you a book with the Sunday morning service in both Greek and English side by side as used in the Greek Archdiocese of Australia if that would help too :)

And I second the recommendation on The Orthodox Church - it can be a bit dry, but it does explain Church history really really well :)

Upvote 0

Joshua G.

Mar 5, 2009
U.S.A.
✟5,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
ANd since you are a new Christian (even if you weren't) focus more on prayer than anything else. And then just go to the Liturgy. Honestly, from my point of view, don't worry about reading stuff much right now unless you have tons of time. Just pray and try to get to a liturgy several times (and I imagine this could take a while depending on if you have some other Church you attend right now as well.

If you go, you may want to read 12 things I wish I'd known before attending an Orthodox Divine Liturgyfirst. It has kind of become the standard read for any inquirer into Orthodoxy ;) It's really helpful

Upvote 0

LovenLight

Jan 1, 2012
Sydney-Western Suburbs
✟7,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
WOW!
I have NEVER seen/felt so much encouragement!!!!!
Thank YOU ALL SO, SO MUCH!!!!!
I REALLY appreciate EVERYTHING you have said, and the links, I'll end up using this page as a base now to link search!
As for where I am, I have been praying, ALOT, and I am already feeling a small peace. I actually had a REAL moment the other night while praying, I.......umm....just was with him, not talking, nothing, just opened up the line, said heloo and asked if i could just be with him, quietly for a bit, Jeez it was amazing! I have NEVER been able to relax, or 'clear' my mind so to speak, so this was really big for me, I was still. Beautiful.
My local church is Archangel Michael & St Bishoy coptic orthodox, I am in St Mary's Sydney. Opinions, good starting point?
And again, Thank you so, so much!
Kyriaki, Thank You, May I email you?
xx Much LovenLight xx

Reactions: Macarius
Upvote 0

LovenLight

Jan 1, 2012
Sydney-Western Suburbs
✟7,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
Hi, fellow Aussie! :) I'm in Adelaide so I'm only sort of helpful, but I know people who've lived in Sydney (and some who have been priests there!) and could help you find a Church so you could come experience the Liturgy. You could go to the Cathedral in Redfern (yes, of all places!!) but it would be entirely in Greek I think which might be a bit of an issue.

If you want to PM me, I can find you a Church after chatting to my Sydney-knowing friends, and maybe some helpful people to give you a hand. There's also a *wonderful* pair of monasteries up in Gosford (I know it's a way to drive, but worth it!), a male monastery and a female one (in English we'd usually say a convent) about 15 minutes from one another up on Mangrove Mountain. I know that there are English speaking monks and nuns who'd love to help you out and teach you if you'd be interested :)

I'll see what I can find around Sydney first though.

Thank You!!!! Im too new to PM yet, though!
Are any of the peoples you know in the western suburbs of Sydney? That would be so helpful!!
Love To You xx

Upvote 0