• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

hi... i m new and i think i need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenwings27

Jun 16, 2007
Michigan, USA
✟15,287.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
hello.. im not new to the site, im new to this particular forum.. i've been doing some research on the internet on panic attacks and panic disorders.. and i think i might be someone who has this... but im not sure.. and i know i wont be totally sure unless i see a doctor... but im not sure if its just depression, or bipolar, or this... or what it is, but sometimes i just get in this.. dark place.. as i call it, (i guess its depression) and when i do, just things go crazy for me sometimes. this has happened to me about 4 or 5 times, but sometimes it just gets really bad, and my minds starts going crazy, like its racing and i get really shaky and i feel numb. but when that happens, i usually cut myself.. and this all hasnt happened since august of last year, and over the past 2 weeks, it has come back and happened twice.. once i cut myself.. the other time i didnt, cuz i had enough sense to call my friend who helped me calm down and get my mind off of it. but im in my..dark place again, and i have been here for the past... 4 weeks or so... i hope some of this makes sense.. i know i need to see a doctor about this.. but im too stubborn to, and afraid of what my family will think of me.. but i was just wondering if anyone knew what i was talking about.. or if maybe i do have some sort of panic disorder or something along those lines, or maybe something completely different... but im really hoping somebody can help

DR RekLaw

May 8, 2008
Owosso, Michigan
✟7,682.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Private
First off i dont get why people are afraid of going to the doctor. I have bpd and panic attacks. Dont be afraid to go to the doctors. You have to get over what other people think. If you dont you will never get better. Like i have said before i found it to be a releef( boy i cant spell). Maybe it will be for you too.

Upvote 0

KTKat

Jan 21, 2008
Littleton
✟15,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You should never feel ashamed of going to the doctor for help. I know what you mean, it took me a couple years to finally go to the doctor myself. If there is help available for you, then do it! It's not worth living like that. You obviously know that it's not normal to feel like that, so why go through it. You don't have to go on medication, there are tons of alternatives (which I prefer) such as cognitive behavioral therapy, meditation, vitamens, etc. There's nothing wrong with you, so never think that. Good Luck and I'll be praying for you!!!! I know how tough it can be, especially when you feel so alone, and like no one else will understand, but we're all here for you!

Upvote 0

brokenwings27

Jun 16, 2007
Michigan, USA
✟15,287.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for the prayers. I choose not to go to the doctors because I'm going to leave for college in the fall, and I'm afraid that my parents won't be okay with me leaving and having mental issues. But does what I described sound like a panic attack?? I know it can't be medically proven or whatever, but does it sound like that's what it is. I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with me, and this sounded like the closest thing.

Upvote 0

KTKat

Jan 21, 2008
Littleton
✟15,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, racing thoughts, shakings, and numbness can all be symptoms of a panic attack. And don't worry panic disorder is not as uncommon as you might think. I really encourage you to do as much research as you can on anxiety. If you don't want to go to the doctor, find some sort of alternative to help you out. There's tons of great websites out there. I found out, once I knew exactly what anxiety and panic was, It didn't frighten me anymore making it less and less something to worry about and I just accept that it's there. It's a slow process depending where your at, but it can get better!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.