but'n'ben

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset
Feb 24, 2004
✟1,638.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The staff aren't paid for in advance. Repairs aren't paid for in advance. Security aren't paid for in advance. We're talking hundreds of staff in each palace for the queen her husband and charles. not forgetting the rest of the royals who each have their own country mansions. What about food, heating, lighting, water, electricity? Trust me, the cost in phenomenal and as soon as you're old enough to pay tax you'll see what I mean. Although be aware most Americans are shocked at how expensive Britain is to live in.

Diana was a normal human who died tragically. I don't worship her as a saint or anything else. She did as much work as the next oxfam worker...only she got publicity.

Upvote 0

Pentecostal Boy

C.S. Lewis/Tolkien Nerd
Mar 31, 2005
✟11,328.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
but'n'ben said:
Diana was a normal human who died tragically. I don't worship her as a saint or anything else.
Well that's good because neither do I! She was just another person.Although a very kind and giving person.By that I meant did you like her more than the other Royals? And no this American knows more than what he should about money. We might be the most powerful nation on earth, that doesn't mean we have limits and high,high taxes also. All America knows how outrageously high European living is and that although this is true we (usually) live better for the same price. That's one reason why we have such a high tourism rate from Europe. We're cheaper! For instance something over that might cost let's say 70 pounds (sorry I don't have a pounds sign) over there only costs $50.00 over here.

Reactions: but'n'ben
Upvote 0

but'n'ben

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset
Feb 24, 2004
✟1,638.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Being honest I probably did like her more than the royals since she was in by marriage and therefore a bit less royal if you get what I mean. It seemes every few months over here something about her rpivate life is dragged up...and it's not fair on William or Harry. She was afterall their mother and no one deserves to go through what they have gone though. And people wonder why Harry has gone off the rails. No wonder. The press have a lot to answer for.

Upvote 0

I_are_sceptical

Senior Veteran
May 21, 2004
✟19,271.00
Faith
Other Religion
MidnightBlue said:
It was never at any time proper to call her "Princess Diana," though it would have been proper, during her marriage, to call her "Princess Charles." (Just as the wife of Prince Michael of Kent is called "Princess Michael of Kent" and never "Princess Marie-Christine.")
Thank you. I've been thumbing through copies of Majesty magazine for years (occasionally buying some), and I could never figure out why they kept calling that woman "Michael".

Upvote 0

AliOgg

Apr 3, 2005
Fort William
✟15,889.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pentecostal Boy said:
Ok.I thought since I was making such a big thing over in the Camila as Queen thingy about Diana that I would put a special one for DIana here.I know that The Her Royal Higness bit was taken out but I still count her as that.And Even though I myself am not from Britian as any of you from America know many here love her as if she was our Princess I guess that's why they call her the Queen of Hearts.

Her Royal Highness The Late Princess Diana Spencer of Wales.
Goodbye Englands Rose
1961-1997

there are many on this side of the big pond that feel likewise

And God Bless All His Peoples.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AliOgg

Apr 3, 2005
Fort William
✟15,889.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
MidnightBlue said:
I think it was a very odd tribute indeed to re-write the lyrics to "Goodbye, Norma Jean" in her honor. But the comparison between these two sad ladies, both on this earth such a short time, is painfully apt.

It would have been better for her if she had not entered into a royal marriage with such naive and unrealistic expectations, but she's much to be admired for trying to use her position to do good works and help the less fortunate. I hope it's for her charity and compassion that she'll be remembered, and not for her tumultuous personal life.

A note on titles. You already know the HRH isn't really proper. And she'd have been "Princess Diana of Wales" only if her father had been The Prince of Wales.

- She was the Lady Diana Frances Spencer until her marriage.

- Upon her marriage to the Prince of Wales, she became HRH The Princess of Wales.

- After her divorce, she was Diana, Princess of Wales.

It was never at any time proper to call her "Princess Diana," though it would have been proper, during her marriage, to call her "Princess Charles." (Just as the wife of Prince Michael of Kent is called "Princess Michael of Kent" and never "Princess Marie-Christine.")

We called her Princess Di

Upvote 0

AliOgg

Apr 3, 2005
Fort William
✟15,889.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pentecostal Boy said:
I'm trying to compliement her not insult her!As you can tell a loath Charles.He hurt many.He even hurt my feelings though I klnow him not in the personal perspective. HE needs to GROW UP!

slow down my young friend, who knows what work the Lord may have planed for Charlie, it's easy to make judgements but more difficult to see the hand of the Lord

Upvote 0

Axion

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2003
uk
Visit site
✟4,616.00
Faith
Catholic
Princess Diana was the greatest.

The whole country stopped for a week when she was killed. Flower shops were sold out all across Britain.

She was rich and famous but there was something about her that connected her with ordinary people. I remember one TV interviewer talking to homeless people just after the death, and one of them said "She was one of us."

The interviewer said "She was a millionnaire and lived in a palace!"

The homeless man said. "But she was still one of us."

Mother Theresa also saw her as a kindred spirit.

Upvote 0

Milla

Apr 24, 2004
✟19,230.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
AliOgg said:
She was loved by the people, she was the peoples princes

We need a shrugging smiley, I think. It's this concept, "people's princess," and the current emotional need for royalty in general, that I don't understand. Feudalism is long past. The royalty are like an appendix on the body politic at this point. Nobody wants to go to the trouble of having the thing removed unless it causes some sudden big problem...it may be useless, but it's my appendix, it's a part of me!...but it doesn't serve a particularly useful purpose, either.

Diana was less useless than average, but as others in this thread have pointed out, others were and are doing the exact same things she is, a lot more altruistically, but they don't get recognized for it because they don't have some fancy title and nice hair.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pentecostal Boy

C.S. Lewis/Tolkien Nerd
Mar 31, 2005
✟11,328.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Milla said:
We need a shrugging smiley, I think. It's this concept, "people's princess," and the current emotional need for royalty in general, that I don't understand. Feudalism is long past. The royalty are like an appendix on the body politic at this point. Nobody wants to go to the trouble of having the thing removed unless it causes some sudden big problem...it may be useless, but it's my appendix, it's a part of me!...but it doesn't serve a particularly useful purpose, either.

Diana was less useless than average, but as others in this thread have pointed out, others were and are doing the exact same things she is, a lot more altruistically, but they don't get recognized for it because they don't have some fancy title and nice hair.

I'm just wondering what do you have against Princess Di. She was beloved and people over here even call her "The Peoples Princess" or "The Princess of Hearts".

Upvote 0

Milla

Apr 24, 2004
✟19,230.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Pentecostal Boy said:
I'm just wondering what do you have against Princess Di. She was beloved and people over here even call her "The Peoples Princess" or "The Princess of Hearts".

Princess Diana seemed like a sweetie.

That doesn't make the monarchy useful or beneficial for society.

Upvote 0

Milla

Apr 24, 2004
✟19,230.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Pentecostal Boy said:
Depends whose on the throne in my book. Like if Prince Charles would be on the throne of Britain then I wouldn't like it (neither would most people. But if Prince William would be on the throne I would like it (like most)

Well, then it sure is a good thing that royalty are chosen so carefully...oh, wait. They're not. It's genetic lottery.

Upvote 0

Pentecostal Boy

C.S. Lewis/Tolkien Nerd
Mar 31, 2005
✟11,328.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Milla said:
Well, then it sure is a good thing that royalty are chosen so carefully...oh, wait. They're not. It's genetic lottery.

You do know that, that came from nowhere right?since William is Charles' son...

Upvote 0