Mar 31, 2005
✟11,328.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok.I thought since I was making such a big thing over in the Camila as Queen thingy about Diana that I would put a special one for DIana here.I know that The Her Royal Higness bit was taken out but I still count her as that.And Even though I myself am not from Britian as any of you from America know many here love her as if she was our Princess I guess that's why they call her the Queen of Hearts.

Her Royal Highness The Late Princess Diana Spencer of Wales.
Goodbye Englands Rose
1961-1997

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yep, after her divorce from the Prince of Wales she was no longer HRH-reportedly Prince Wills convinced Diana that it wasn't anything to fight over. I like that attitude coming from Wills. Also, her title was "Diana, Princess of Wales", not "Princess Diana Spencer of Wales", which implies that she was a princess by birth. Not that I, as an American with American views of nobility/royalty, really care that much.

To be honest I don't view her as the saint (popular usage of the term) she is made out to be by many of her biographers such as Andrew Morton. She is an interesting historical figure to study, and it will be interesting to watch how her two boys live their lives. It is tragic that she, like Grace Kelly before her, died well before her time, but her death did not affect me.

Diane
:)

Upvote 0

MidnightBlue

June Carter, pray for us!
May 16, 2005
✟11,111.00
Faith
Pentecostal Boy said:
Her Royal Highness The Late Princess Diana Spencer of Wales.
Goodbye Englands Rose
1961-1997

Pentecostal Boy said:
feel free to tell me your thoughts.

I think it was a very odd tribute indeed to re-write the lyrics to "Goodbye, Norma Jean" in her honor. But the comparison between these two sad ladies, both on this earth such a short time, is painfully apt.

It would have been better for her if she had not entered into a royal marriage with such naive and unrealistic expectations, but she's much to be admired for trying to use her position to do good works and help the less fortunate. I hope it's for her charity and compassion that she'll be remembered, and not for her tumultuous personal life.

A note on titles. You already know the HRH isn't really proper. And she'd have been "Princess Diana of Wales" only if her father had been The Prince of Wales.

- She was the Lady Diana Frances Spencer until her marriage.

- Upon her marriage to the Prince of Wales, she became HRH The Princess of Wales.

- After her divorce, she was Diana, Princess of Wales.

It was never at any time proper to call her "Princess Diana," though it would have been proper, during her marriage, to call her "Princess Charles." (Just as the wife of Prince Michael of Kent is called "Princess Michael of Kent" and never "Princess Marie-Christine.")

Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MidnightBlue said:
- She was the Lady Diana Frances Spencer until her marriage.

No she wasn't. From her birth until the death of the 7th Earl Spencer she was styled/titled the Honourable. It was not until her father, the 8th Earl Spencer, inherited the earldom in 1975 that she and her two sisters were styled/titled Lady and her brother Charles then used the courtesy title of Viscount Althorp.

See this article.

Courtesy titles.

Diane

Upvote 0

MidnightBlue

May 16, 2005
✟11,111.00
Faith
Diane_Windsor said:
No she wasn't. From her birth until the death of the 7th Earl Spencer she was styled/titled the Honourable. It was not until her father, the 8th Earl Spencer, inherited the earldom in 1975 that she and her two sisters were styled/titled Lady and her brother Charles then used the courtesy title of Viscount Althorp.

I've read that before, but my understanding is that the granddaughter of a peer isn't technically entitled to any courtesy at all. At the time of her birth, Diana's father would have been using the title Viscount Althorp purely as a courtesy. While his father lived, he wasn't technically a peer at all, and I didn't think his children were entitled to any courtesy title. That is, my understanding was that she was just plain Diana Frances Spencer at birth.

However, it may be that the common practice is to give the honorific due a Viscount's daughter even to a "courtesy" Viscount; certainly, more people than not seem to think so.

Either way, she wasn't the Lady Diana Frances Spencer at birth, but she was the Lady Diana Frances Spencer until her marriage, which is what I said. ;)

Upvote 0

Pentecostal Boy

C.S. Lewis/Tolkien Nerd
Mar 31, 2005
✟11,328.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
MidnightBlue said:
it would have been proper, during her marriage, to call her "Princess Charles."

I'm trying to compliement her not insult her!As you can tell a loath Charles.He hurt many.He even hurt my feelings though I klnow him not in the personal perspective. HE needs to GROW UP!

Upvote 0

MidnightBlue

May 16, 2005
✟11,111.00
Faith
Pentecostal Boy said:
I'm trying to compliement her not insult her!
I don't think it's really much of a compliment to call someone by a title that isn't hers. If it were, why not go all the way and call her Empress Diana?
Pentecostal Boy said:
As you can tell a loath Charles.
Why?

Upvote 0

Pentecostal Boy

C.S. Lewis/Tolkien Nerd
Mar 31, 2005
✟11,328.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Empress Diana.NO that would be to far.Englands not an Empire anymore! lol
WHy do I not like Charles? Well not to hurt anyone but I blame him for the death of Princess Diana. I really do. I think that her death was a conspiracie formed by Prince Charles. Not quiet sure if I think Queen ElizabethII was in it or not.
Camilla yes more or less was in it too.
I hope that he's not the next king. He is cruel and not what is right or ENgland.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MidnightBoy, you may or may not be right about the honourable title-it tends to get really confusing! Like what is the difference between a style and a title?

Pentecostal Boy said:
I'm trying to compliement her not insult her!

:confused: :scratch: You must have a different definition of "insult" than I do.

Pentecostal Boy said:
As you can tell a loath Charles.

"But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"----Jesus

Pentecostal Boy said:
He hurt many.He even hurt my feelings though I klnow him not in the personal perspective. HE needs to GROW UP!

And Diana didn't hurt many too? She didn't break up the marriage of Rugby player Will Carling? What about the marriages of the many other married lovers she had? Did she not have other faults too, or was she a perfect saint during her marriage?

I think you need to take a more fair and balanced look at the picture before you start bashing Charles.

Pentecostal Boy said:
WHy do I not like Charles? Well not to hurt anyone but I blame him for the death of Princess Diana. I really do. I think that her death was a conspiracie formed by Prince Charles. Not quiet sure if I think Queen ElizabethII was in it or not. Camilla yes more or less was in it too.

And I assume that you believe in every other outlandish conspiracy theory as well? You do realize that the present Earl Spencer rejects outright any conspiracy theories?

Pentecostal Boy said:
I hope that he's not the next king.

So you want him to predecease his own mother? :doh:

Pentecostal Boy said:
He is cruel and not what is right or ENgland.

Prince's Trust

You need to learn the real meaning of the word "cruel". Whether or not he is "right" for England is really none of our concern as Americans.

Diane

Upvote 0

Pentecostal Boy

C.S. Lewis/Tolkien Nerd
Mar 31, 2005
✟11,328.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I didn't say that DIana was a saint i said that they call her one. SHe didn't have affairs until late in there marriage which I don't blame her for.He needed to have a taste if his own medicine! So you don't need to blame her either!

Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pentecostal Boy said:
SHe didn't have affairs until late in there marriage which I don't blame her for.

So? Just because Charles cheated first did not give her the right to have her own affairs:

"You shall not commit adultery."---GOD
Exodus 20:14

I don't think that God will accept the excuse "well s/he cheated on me first" from adulterers, so neither do I accept that as a valid reason. His Word is explicitly clear on this subject, and no exceptions are made.

Diana still hurt the wives and families of Will Carling, and her other married lovers, not to mention that she hurt husband as well.

I think you need to stop reading the biased biographies of her by Andrew Morton et. al., and get a more balanced look at the picture.

Pentecostal Boy said:
He needed to have a taste if his own medicine!

I very strongly encourage you to speak to your pastor about your feelings of revenge and hate towards a man that you have not even met-let alone know.

Pentecostal Boy said:
So you don't need to blame her either!

:scratch: All I am doing is trying to present a fair and balanced picture.

Diane

Upvote 0

Pentecostal Boy

C.S. Lewis/Tolkien Nerd
Mar 31, 2005
✟11,328.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Diane_Windsor said:
So? Just because Charles cheated first did not give her the right to have her own affairs:

"You shall not commit adultery."---GOD
Exodus 20:14

I don't think that God will accept the excuse "well s/he cheated on me first" from adulterers, so neither do I accept that as a valid reason. His Word is explicitly clear on this subject, and no exceptions are made.

Diana still hurt the wives and families of Will Carling, and her other married lovers, not to mention that she hurt husband as well.

I think you need to stop reading the biased biographies of her by Andrew Morton et. al., and get a more balanced look at the picture.

I very strongly encourage you to speak to your pastor about your feelings of revenge and hate towards a man that you have not even met-let alone know.

:scratch: All I am doing is trying to present a fair and balanced picture.

Diane

Everyone that I have ever known doesn't like Charles either.I didn't say that it made it right but, i'm not mad at her for doing it. Serves him right to have his reputation ruined!I like some people and I don't like others! Like Clinton, can't stand him. Bush I like him.

Upvote 0

but'n'ben

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset
Feb 24, 2004
✟1,638.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
*sigh*

The title of this thread made me shake my head. I feel only ONE person in this world has even been royal and deserves to be remembered such a way as and that's Jesus. Dianna was only human so to call her 'Her Royal Highness Princess of Wales' is waayyy OTT. No one here calls the royals that. It's Liz for the Queen or Chaz for charles. Yes, it was tragic for Dianne to lose her life they way she did. She was a beauiful woman but she's certainly not the saint that people believe she is. I think it's an outside Britain romantic image of the royal family that portrays her this way. They're nothing but spongers and it's sickening to see how much effort, time and coverage has been put into dragging up dirt on Dianna years after her death.

Please don't have this rose tinted view that the royal family or Dianna are saints and perfect and should be remembered as a saviour. She wasn't. Think of all the other Oxfam workers who have to RAISE the cash to go to Africa instead of using our tax money. Don't think I'm bitter about helping the poor....it's just the people think she was marvellous because she did this and that...but what did it cost her? nothing and she's got all this good publicity. I know people who spend all their time doing the same, using their own funds, and won't be remembered any more than the homeless man in the street.

As for the next King? Chaz or William? Get rid of the lot of them. Rip-off Britain is only named that way because if the extortionate taxes paid to the royals. It's fortune that the royals serve no actual purpose and have no say in the running of Britain or I'd probably emigrate.

Reactions: Milla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pentecostal Boy

C.S. Lewis/Tolkien Nerd
Mar 31, 2005
✟11,328.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
but'n'ben said:
*sigh*

The title of this thread made me shake my head. I feel only ONE person in this world has even been royal and deserves to be remembered such a way as and that's Jesus. Dianna was only human so to call her 'Her Royal Highness Princess of Wales' is waayyy OTT. No one here calls the royals that. It's Liz for the Queen or Chaz for charles. Yes, it was tragic for Dianne to lose her life they way she did. She was a beauiful woman but she's certainly not the saint that people believe she is. I think it's an outside Britain romantic image of the royal family that portrays her this way. They're nothing but spongers and it's sickening to see how much effort, time and coverage has been put into dragging up dirt on Dianna years after her death.

Please don't have this rose tinted view that the royal family or Dianna are saints and perfect and should be remembered as a saviour. She wasn't. Think of all the other Oxfam workers who have to RAISE the cash to go to Africa instead of using our tax money. Don't think I'm bitter about helping the poor....it's just the people think she was marvellous because she did this and that...but what did it cost her? nothing and she's got all this good publicity. I know people who spend all their time doing the same, using their own funds, and won't be remembered any more than the homeless man in the street.

As for the next King? Chaz or William? Get rid of the lot of them. Rip-off Britain is only named that way because if the extortionate taxes paid to the royals. It's fortune that the royals serve no actual purpose and have no say in the running of Britain or I'd probably emigrate.

I know that there is only one true king. But there are several earthly ones who (if they want) can do quiet a bit of good.

Upvote 0

but'n'ben

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset
Feb 24, 2004
✟1,638.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, but you're not paying for them. Trust me, they do NOTHING and no more charity work than you're average joe. HOw often have you seen liz in ethiopia helping kids in schools? Never. Willian and harry both have done this because of Dianna's influence but none of the others bother.

Upvote 0

but'n'ben

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset
Feb 24, 2004
✟1,638.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Put it like this...I earn about £450 a month. This isn't nearly enough to cover my studies so I did some overtime and earned another £75. I was the taxed because I went over the tax cut-off and paid out £62 of my overtime to the government. Leaving my with an extra £13 for 3 days additional work. Not all of this goes to them, but they can still have their numerous castles, palaces and houses all over the UK and it's us who fit the bill.

Not one single member of the royals deserve to be remembered as anything more than a leech. Sorry, it may be harsh but it's true.

Upvote 0