Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
MOD HAT ON
Christian Advice Statement of Purpose
Christian advice is defined as advice which contains basic Christian principles that do not conflict with the site's Statement of Faith. We would ask that members direct their responses to the member who started the thread and refrain from debating one another's theological beliefs and viewpoints. Do not use this forum to debate with other Christians as that is not the purpose of the Christian Advice forum. If members would like to discuss/debate specific Christian theological doctrines, they should do so in one of the Theology forums.

All advice should be given in the spirit of love and humility, extending grace and respect towards one another in an effort to encourage and uplift the member seeking advice. We would like this forum to remain a safe place where Christians can request advice from other Christians without fear of being attacked. With this in mind, posts that chastise or belittle another member will be deleted and the member may be banned from the thread. Posts that debate rather than advise will also be deleted and the member may be banned from the thread. If you are banned from a thread and would like to discuss the situation with an Administrator, please open a ticket in support.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am so discouraged. How can my husband be so blessed and talented and yes, anointed yet at home for years he calls me dumb stupid etc...

He says I am not trying hard enough, not using my head.

He says not to go against God's anointing.

Today I failed Jesus. I got super angry and swore.

I am tired of being called stupid, dumb idiot., he says I never amounted to anything and that I have nothing to show for all my years. That I do nothing.

He keeps saying people at church think I am dumb too.

He texted me a month ago the following - - "That is my lot, spending my life with someone who doesn't get things. My fault for picking you.
I will NEVER be responsible for your lack of education, wisdom and excellence. Those mediocre attributes are yours and yours alone."

He told me that there are 5 types of people and the kind of person i am, he has to use the rod of discipline to beat the stupidity out of me.

I was super angry today because I have been having back pain and there he goes saying that I need to clean the floor by bending over and picking up any pieces, but bending over is difficult right now. And he's called me dumb, idiot. He wanted a particular kind of meat at a restaurant and I thought it was ok the one I bought but it turned out to be the wrong one. He called me names because of that saying I should have known. This is the second time I picked up from there.

He got a little rough by putting his hand underneath my chin hard and then downstairs too when he pushed me but he says he was just pushing me out of the way.

I told him to keep his "beeping" hands to himself. Not my greatest moment, I sinned bad.

I told him I don't want him to call me names anymore but he said he won't call me names if I don't do anything stupid. I toldhhim calling me names is not normal.

Sunday I realised that he doesn't call me names at church because he knows no one would agree with it so instead he calls me by endearments instead.

He says I am demon possessed, angel of light coming against the man of God. He has said I was not saved. He said today if I left him I probably would go for a woman - which is so very much not true.

I used to spend so much time with the Lord every day when I was single but now it's so hard. I tried praying tonight but I didn't feel much. So then I tried worshipping and it just wasn't the same.

Could the Lord be angry with me?

I am not happy at all. I thought marrying him was the Lord's Will. But from the beginning he was impatient with me and after 4 months the name calling began.

He even said he should not have married me.

To be fair, I was not the neatest or most organized person and he's super neat, but I have worked hard and he even said a few days ago that I have improved.

It's not always this bad. Just a few days ago he said I have improved and he appreciated the things that I take care of at home that he doesn't have to worry about. He sometimes says things like he's proud of me or proud that I am his wife. And during those times it's great as long as I don't mess it up, by dropping something by accident or saying something I know he won't like

But when I mess up its the names again, dumb stupid or idiot.

He says it's normal that married couples fight.

I did call him a fake Christian that thinks because of all the work he does for the Lord, that he is ok.

He even said something like, not exact words, but something along the lines of since what he does at church goes so well, the Lord must be pleased with him

Can the Lord be angry with me or not pleased because I don't keep my mouth shut all the time? I do ignore many things, even cutting remarks at times, but sometimes I just can't take it and respond back in anger.

Before being saved I dated men, one for a long time and he never called me names. I get married to a Christian and I am called names,put down, pushed around .... What's going on???

The reality is that some people get married before they really know each other. We all like to think that marriage is made in heaven but sometimes deceive ourselves into thinking, "this is the one" as we admire certain qualities or outward beauty, yet are blind to other flaws and ideosyncracies. It usually takes 2 years of courtship to discover each other. We all by nature, present our best side and hide our flaws, such as impatience and a quick sharp tongue that hurts. We even go as far to present ourselves as having a lot going on or having goals and plans. Then time passes by and these real character flaws surface because we can't hold them back - don't need to, we're married. "No need to impress you, no need to restrain my tongue, my insulting behavior and intolerance any longer - I got you. But I see also that you are not really who you presented and so this whole thing of not being totally transparent in the beginning has backfired on us both". "My lot in life I guess ... but it's not me, it's you"!
Well, it was both of you who tied the not and deceived yourselves. Now What?
He seems convinced that He made a mistake and only shortly after the marriage. How can you change his mind? You can't, nor can he. Only God can. As others have advised, Christian counseling may help, it cant hurt.
We come into a relationship with expectations. Some are reasonable and some are not. You are who you are. Can you change? Sure, if you want. If you are willing and have the desire to advance your education, becom more involved in the Church. "Be all you can be, read", was an old ad I remember. Become a Proverbs 31 women, one that every man is proud of. You were born with a certain intelligence and that is enough, so get the focus off yourself and be a servant. Who would knock you for that? But you can't just sit around and do nothing and expect praise and admiration.
On the other side, he needs work on his character: PATIENCE, KINDNESS, GOODNESS, FAITH, HOPE, PEACE, LOVE, GENTLENESS, SELF CONTROL, JOY. Hey, wait a minute, that sounds like the fruit of the Spirit. Give that verse: to him (Gal. 5:22-23) and ask him how is the Holy Spirit growing these areas in your life??? That will be a moment of humility - if he is not too prideful?
As unbelievers, God draws us to a divine appointment by his Word and godly sorrow helps us to realize we are sinners and need to repent, to die to our old ways, old self. Yet some of us still want to hold onto our old ways and insist we are in line with God's will and plans. But we deceive ourselves often. I mean we get saved, and spiritually that is our sohl purpose in life, but we still have our flesh to deal with until we die. God does and immediate transformation to us but than He slowly transforms our character over time. We dont immediately become holy saints.
The big issue here is self discipleship, looking in the mirror and being honest with your flaws, sins and asking God to change you. BECAUSE WE REALLY CAN'T CHANGE OURSELVES WITHOUT HIM. He grows each area in our lives towards Christ likeness.
THERE IS HOPE.

There is hope because I myself need growth in these areas. I have been guilty of belittling my wife at times, lacking patience, the same stuff. And I always end up apologizing for my behavior. I have changed, but it takes time. But what I value and what encourages me to continue on this path is that my wife is an unselfish servant and loving to me and others- that is her gift and I am proud of that. She always forgives me. She is not on my level of intelligence and doesn't get things like I do. I have to a accept it and cherish the things she does have.
Marriage starts out wonderful, then we wake up and must realize it takes work and prayer.
The fruit of the Spirit to you both.

Reactions: Coady
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟84,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am so discouraged. How can my husband be so blessed and talented and yes, anointed yet at home for years he calls me dumb stupid etc...

I am tired of being called stupid, dumb idiot., he says I never amounted to anything and that I have nothing to show for all my years. That I do nothing.

He texted me a month ago the following - - "That is my lot, spending my life with someone who doesn't get things. My fault for picking you.
I will NEVER be responsible for your lack of education, wisdom and excellence. Those mediocre attributes are yours and yours alone."

He told me that there are 5 types of people and the kind of person i am, he has to use the rod of discipline to beat the stupidity out of me.

I was super angry today because I have been having back pain and there he goes saying that I need to clean the floor by bending over and picking up any pieces, but bending over is difficult right now. And he's called me dumb, idiot. He wanted a particular kind of meat at a restaurant and I thought it was ok the one I bought but it turned out to be the wrong one. He called me names because of that saying I should have known. This is the second time I picked up from there.

He got a little rough by putting his hand underneath my chin hard and then downstairs too when he pushed me but he says he was just pushing me out of the way.

I told him to keep his "beeping" hands to himself. Not my greatest moment, I sinned bad.

I told him I don't want him to call me names anymore but he said he won't call me names if I don't do anything stupid. I toldhhim calling me names is not normal.

Sunday I realised that he doesn't call me names at church because he knows no one would agree with it so instead he calls me by endearments instead.

He says I am demon possessed, angel of light coming against the man of God. He has said I was not saved. He said today if I left him I probably would go for a woman - which is so very much not true.

I used to spend so much time with the Lord every day when I was single but now it's so hard. I tried praying tonight but I didn't feel much. So then I tried worshipping and it just wasn't the same.

I am not happy at all. I thought marrying him was the Lord's Will. But from the beginning he was impatient with me and after 4 months the name calling began.

To be fair, I was not the neatest or most organized person and he's super neat, but I have worked hard and he even said a few days ago that I have improved.

It's not always this bad. Just a few days ago he said I have improved and he appreciated the things that I take care of at home that he doesn't have to worry about. He sometimes says things like he's proud of me or proud that I am his wife. And during those times it's great as long as I don't mess it up, by dropping something by accident or saying something I know he won't like

I did call him a fake Christian that thinks because of all the work he does for the Lord, that he is ok.

He even said something like, not exact words, but something along the lines of since what he does at church goes so well, the Lord must be pleased with him

Can the Lord be angry with me or not pleased because I don't keep my mouth shut all the time? I do ignore many things, even cutting remarks at times, but sometimes I just can't take it and respond back in anger.

Before being saved I dated men, one for a long time and he never called me names. I get married to a Christian and I am called names,put down, pushed around .... What's going on???

Okay... read your whole outpouring of your heart.

He is sensing when he is losing control of you, then responding with the words of Love your heart is aching for...

When he is assured he has you under his thumb, he reverts back to emotional abuse.

The cycle will increase in Love, and worsen in Hate towards you.

This is a method of control and typically results from the personality best known as....

“Controlus Freekus”...

There is sadistic implications to your abuse and the goal is for you to find value in being devalued as a mere thing he owns.

If you get that low... the Abuse will continue without end, escalate and possibly get violent.

If he senses he is losing control, he will become unpredictable and new levels of emotional pain will be dispensed.

He may have underlying abuse in his past that caused this, or he just may be an “not so kind fellow” that disguises his true nature, but can’t keep it hidden for long periods of time.

You need to contact a women’s help hotline, avoid letting him know you are doing so and see how dangerous your situation is!

Stockhome syndrome is real, so don’t put it off.

Contact the Chaplain personnel here NOW... TODAY and get phone numbers to call to begin figuring out what you need to do!

Do not be held back by FEAR of Being ALONE, or doing something wrong...

There is zero command in scripture that says ... Thou Shalt Be abused daily by your spouse and take it without doing anything about it.

There may be help for both of you, but you need to start with you!

All Love in Jesus Christ to you

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟84,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You may want to contact a Chaplain here... Via this link

https://www.christianforums.com/forums/ask-a-chaplain.792/

They might have the number or location of a battered women’s shelter near you.

Make no mistake... Bones Heal... Bruises Heal... But A Crushed Spirit is Terminal! As in, emotion scars are forever! Jesus doesn’t want you to be going through this pain!

Again... things may have reconciliation via 3rd party intervention... but you need professional assistance with this matter and known this... it is provided free by many people.

All Love in Jesus Christ to you...

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I don't know what you mean, exactly, by "anointed," but any man who refers to his wife as "dumb" or "stupid" is not doing so in the power of the Spirit. In fact, such a man is in clear rebellion to God's command to love his wife in the self-sacrifical way Christ loves the Church. (Ephesians 5:25) And so long as a man is in rebellion to God, his fellowship with God is fractured and the blessing of God in his life, hindered.

One doesn't need to be a genius to be wise. Are you wise? Are you a careful student of God's word? Are you pursuing God with your whole heart?

If what you're saying about your husband is true, he is not God's anointed. And trying to order your obedience on the basis that he is "anointed" is sheer manipulation.

And in making such remarks, your husband reveals how badly out-of-step with God he is.

Is there any truth in his words, cruel as they are? In what do you invest yourself?

Okay. Well, I have to take your word for it that what you're sharing about your husband is true; if it is, his criticisms of you are actually revelations of his own lack of spiritual depth. In condemning you, he condemns himself. Any husband who has texted to his wife what you say here your husband has texted to you, shows an enormous lack of grace, love and humility.

Have you been working to better yourself? How do you spend your time, energy and money? Are you industrious and daily pursuing God's will in your life?

Really? Clearly, this is way out of bounds. You aren't a naughty child and he ought not to threaten you as though you are. If he ever attempts to physically "discipline" you, call the police at once and have him arrested! Honestly, the man you've described as your husband sounds psychopathic.

Not great, no. But understandable. How do you factor God into this stuff? Do you ever call out your husband's behaviour by putting it in a biblical context? Do you challenge him with verses like Ephesians 5:25, or 1 Corinthians 10:31, or 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, or 2 Timothy 2:24-25? You should. There are three people in every Christian marriage, right? You, your husband, and God.

Well, you're married now and there's no going back. God HATES divorce. (Malachi 2:16) Will you allow God to use the abrasiveness of your husband as a "polishing tool" in your life - like sandpaper smoothing down rough bits on a piece of wood? In everything, you see, God is desiring to make us all more like Jesus. (Romans 8:29) You can simply endure your husband's awfulness, and bemoan your decision to marry him, or you can submit to God using your marital difficulties to make you more like Christ. Either way, you have marital issues, but yielding to God in them so that He might form Christ in you makes an otherwise pointless time of trouble very spiritually valuable.

1 Peter 5:10
But the God of all grace, who has called us unto His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that you have suffered a while, make you perfect, establish, strengthen, settle you.

"Normal"? In whose estimation? I don't see anywhere in Scripture where God says its all right for a couple to make a habit of fighting, or calling each other names, or behaving in domineering and manipulative ways.

Well, whatever may happen at church, it is very unlikely that God is in it when your husband is so terribly out-of-line with God in his relationship with you. God doesn't turn a blind eye to our sin - ever. And the first casualty of our sin is always our fellowship (though, not our relationship) with Him. Without fellowship with God, the Christian life is merely a religious going-through-the-motions that has a superficial appearance of godliness and divine blessing, but which is really just pious human effort. I suspect this is what your husband believes is the Lord being pleased with him. That he can't distinguish the genuine products of fellowship with God from these "blessings" of superficial religiosity indicates just how far your husband is from his heavenly Father.

What about you? How far are you from God these days? Have you been drifting? Just going through the motions of walking with God? Maybe you, too, are no longer enjoying fellowship with your heavenly Father. If so, I can tell you walking stably, and graciously, and in a God-honoring way through your present marriage difficulties is going to be impossible.

1 Peter 5:6-7
6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time:
7 Casting all your care upon Him; for He cares for you.

Proverbs 3:5-6
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not unto your own understanding.
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟84,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I will make a confession. I was emotionally abused by a spouse for 13 years.

I prayed about it and it ended really ugly. I didn’t back out... until they left and filed papers... but I will confess I initiated the fall of it all.

I can’t assure you enough... it was different, because I’m a man. If she could have killed me, she would have. She even told me she wished I’ld die.

I blamed myself for many years... and attempted to change to please her. The more I changed for her, the more cold and distant she became.

Divorce happens. It is not a coffin nail in your salvation.

You are under the new covenant and the divorce God spoke of was actually about a nation. God never wanted it and... I think He still has plans...

But rest assured... Unless you’re 6 feet and pushing 210 lbs of muscle, you are in a dangerous situation.

Do not underestimate the dangers of an abusive husband.

Lives get lost that way!

I was yoked by God to a woman that is my genuine soul mate, shortly after it all ended. That in itself was a miracle.

All blessings to you, in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. Maybe this is my fault though. I am not a go getter, others have goals or talents and they know where they are going, what they can do.

I often admire people who knew what they wanted to be since young as I was never like that. I kind of worked my way into my career and didn't finish college. And admire people who have business ideas , wish I could but I don't have any.

I am very distracted. No natural talents. I have no goals.... People think I am nice and kind but that doesn't get one anywhere.
He should love you for who you are not what he wants you to be. Sounds to me he knows all the words but doesn't really know Jesus. Don't let him control you.

“Listen, .. . . ! This is what the Lord says to you: ‘Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s. Tomorrow march down against them. . . . . . . You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you, . . . . . Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the Lord will be with you.’” 2 Chronicles 20:15-17

Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is not easy but can you please move out for a while? Talk to your pastor. Do you have any friends who can help you escape or not? Pack a small bag of things in case.
Prayers are coming your way pronto. Prepare yourself for life as a single parent. Are you seeing a therapist or not? No you are not stupid or dumb. Far from it in fact.
Please tell someone. This is absolutely not acceptable. It is abuse.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,816.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Do you think he is going to change? If so, why? If he is not going to chance, are you just going to keep putting up with it? As others have warned you on the prayer string, you are apparently in serious danger from someone who is into domestic abuse. We wish we could help you, but we can't.

No matter what advice we continue to give you, you have to make a decision. Are you gong to keep putting up with it or escape? You seem to maybe be looking for justification that the way you are being treated is not right. Many have said that is true, that you are being abused. But again, we can't stop the abuse. Only you can stop it. Again, seek counseling from a professional who has helped others escape domestic abuse. Again, abuse makes people fuzzy headed and confused. You need a domestic abuse professional to help you see what is going on, and how to deal with it.

Upvote 0

Itsahappyday

Dec 12, 2016
north america
✟31,046.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I am not fabricating anything nor am I exaggerating.

He once grabbed me by the neck of my clothing and broke my necklace. Another time because we were arguing in the car and my finger pointed at him to close to his liking he grabbed my wrist and left marks. And I do have the photos to prove it.

He's bullied me by pushing me backwards with his chest.

But he denies it all and sayshe never did that.

I know not all tell the truth but if you walked in my shoes, you would understand how real it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

How can my husband be so blessed and talented and yes, anointed yet at home for years he calls me dumb stupid etc...

Are you sure he is 'blessed' and 'anointed'? Based on what?

I'm always confused by people who say that so and so "is a great Christian, so and indwelt with the holy spirit", and then go on to list a dozen terrible things they do.

If he is doing what you claim he is doing, then he is not the good Christian man you claim he is.

It is normal for married couples to fight. Happy married couples statistically have the same number of arguments as unhappy couples that end in divorce.

However, how couples fight is crucial. If you say things that damage, and cause harm, then you are not fighting well. A good fight, is where you hash out a disagreement without causing harm. Happily married couples never cause harm, and forgive each other, and do not hold onto the mistakes of the other.

You and your husband, are clearly not doing that. You are on your way to divorce unless both of you figure this out.

So let me ask you... what were the consequence?

He called you stupid.... what punishment did you enact for that?

When a dog poops on the carpet, you smack it. Eventually the dog learns to not poop on the carpet.
When a child lies, they used to wash their mouth with soap, and then they learn to not lie.
When I grew up, I was paddled. I learn to not do evil things.

When your husband does something evil like this, what did you do?

You talked at him. That's nothing. Don't yack at your husband. What did punishment did you enforce for his evil?

Example: My mother would have been in the car, and 2 hours drive away, by the end of the day, if my father did that to her. Which is why he never did.

I told him I don't want him to call me names anymore but he said he won't call me names if I don't do anything stupid. I told him calling me names is not normal.

That is nothing. You wasted your time. You don't talk at someone. If that worked anywhere in life, we would just have judges talk at criminals, and they would stop being criminals. If all the police did when they caught you speeding, was give you a speech about how speeding isn't health or safe... everyone would speed.

The reason people do not fly down the road at 120 mph, is because they get a $300 ticket. It's not words, but actions that change behavior. In fact the officer typically says very little, other than his standard questions, and sign here. He does not yack at you. He just writes the citation, and sends you on your way.

Your husband is acting evil, and he is acting evil because he thinks what he is doing is okay. One of the reasons he thinks it is ok, is because there are no real consequences.

Next time he calls you names, don't say a word. When he's out, pack up, and move to your parents.

When he calls, you say "I told you don't call me names anymore. l from now on, when you call me names, I'll leave".

And by the way, he'll do it again, and you need to leave again. You keep doing this enough times, and even a dog can learn to not poop on the carpet.

But you have to be consistent. Every time he acts evil, you have to enact consequences each time.

Upvote 0

bmjackson

Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2007
UK
✟293,276.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think we have had enough information now, those of us who have experience and or knowledge of this level of domestic abuse, and the type of personality disorders that is being described, to be absolutely sure that this lady is at high risk of danger and especially if she tells him she is leaving.

Dear sister, you really need now to consult with people who are trained and can give you professional advice and who recognise the degree of danger you are in. You need to ring the local refuge or shelter and start to talk to them.

Some of us are seriously concerned about you. Please take action quickly and do not let your husband know. Wishing you safety.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

That is some really bad logic. Just saying.

I don't believe he is "anointed". None of us is without sin. He is wrong to think that God has shown him all the filth and unGodliness within his heart, and it has been dealt with. I doubt God has shown anybody that.

You need to leave --not saying leave him, but leave the denomination, or at least the church that he goes to.

I have a friend of a Wesleyan persuasion who told me he had stopped sinning. I told him I bet I'd get a different answer if I had asked his wife about that.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You might show him Ephesians 5:25-29. A husband is supposed to treat his wife like his own body. He should not beat her with a rod.

Jesus taught his people how to respond if they are slapped on the cheek. Turn and offer the other cheek. Pray for those who abuse you. Forgive if you would like to be forgiven when you make errors.

Not all who call themselves Christian are blessed or saved.

Some who abused their wives lost them in divorce court and were liable to pay alimony and child support. That might mean less resources for all involved as two households are more difficult to support than one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Reborn1977

Devoted to Jesus - Less of me MORE of HIM
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

First, my sister let me say that my heart breaks for you. I have been prayerfully considering since yesterday how to respond to your request for input.

I have been married for 34 years, I have been in full-time ministry for 25, and I have had a relationship with Christ since 1977, and let me assure you that how you are being treated is in no way whatsoever what God would desire for you. What you are describing that your husband is doing to you is abuse. It is verbal, mental, and borders on physical abuse.

The fact that your husband loves to talk about and throw in your face how anointed he is and what a great man of God He is, clearly indicates that he is not that anointed and not that great a man of God. I tell you as a sister heavily anointed with the gift of prophecy that a man who acts like this has something very wrong in his spirit whether he has a position in church leadership or not.

Let's talk about that position of church leadership for a moment. It makes it clear in the book of Timothy the qualifications for a leader in the church. Among those is that the person is temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, and gentle. That doesn't sound like the man you have described. The book of Hebrews (13:7) makes it clear that overseers will give an account to God for how they deal with people.

1 Timothy 3:1–7 (NKJV)

Qualifications of Overseers

3 This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop, he desires a good work. 2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; 3 not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous; 4 one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence 5 (for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?); 6 not a novice, lest being puffed up with pride he fall into the same condemnation as the devil. 7 Moreover he must have a good testimony among those who are outside, lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

The book of Ephesians makes it clear how a man is supposed to treat his wife. He is supposed to treat his wife in the same manner, and care for her in the same manner, that Christ does the church. Therefore, let me ask you a question. Would Christ call you these kinds of names? Would Christ tell you how stupid you are? No, absolutely not!

Ephesians 5:25–29 (NKJV)

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. 28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church.

What nerve of your husband to bring up "the rod." You are his wife, not his child. There is only one place in Scripture that talks about using a rod to discipline someone and that is in Proverbs and it is a reference to disciplining a child. Physical abuse is absolutely unacceptable!

Proverbs 13:24 (NKJV)

24 He who spares his rod hates his son,

But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.

I have counseled people for years and I can assure you of one thing, the individual who acts like your husband acts, according to what you described, what one might call a bully, is a person who actually has some very serious self-worth issues down deep inside, that they cover up by trying to diminish and devalue other people. Do not let this man devalue you any longer.

I counseled a woman about 20 years ago now whose husband was an elder in the church and this man brutally abused her verbally and physically and he would do it on Sundays after they got home from church. This scarred her so deeply she hated all Christians for years. When I began counseling with her she was just starting to believe there could be real Christians again, but she still had not reached a point where she was ready to go back to church. However, most importantly, it destroyed her relationship with Christ for well over a decade and possibly damaged it for the rest of her life. I beg you don't let this happen to you.

Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. Maybe this is my fault though. I am not a go getter, others have goals or talents and they know where they are going, what they can do.

I often admire people who knew what they wanted to be since young as I was never like that. I kind of worked my way into my career and didn't finish college. And admire people who have business ideas , wish I could but I don't have any.

I am very distracted. No natural talents. I have no goals.... People think I am nice and kind but that doesn't get one anywhere.

NO, NO. NO. NO, it is not your fault!

I would say you most likely do have gifts and talent you are just so mentally and emotionally beaten down by your husband's treatment.

Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wish my marriage was like that, a sanctuary. It's not. I asked him to go to counselling and he has refused.

That is why I did not bother to recommend going to counseling together. I have dealt with what you are describing and people like that rarely wish to get marital counseling.

You need to focus on you, in that you need to help yourself by taking constructive steps to deal with your situation. The first step would be to stop believing your husband's abusive words, please.

Upvote 0

lemonville

Jun 4, 2019
Birmingham
✟7,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

He is a fake christian, he does not seek love for his wife, but only for himself. Your husband is self righteous, which is completely wrong. I would pray to God, and also pray that your husband will treat you better. There isn't much else to say except that he is abusive, and he is condemned. Himself being condemned is himself expecting his salvation.

pray to God for help and pray for your husband.

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate

Hello Sister . I am more concerned for you than your husband at this point . Satan is the father of lies and lied from the beginning . Satan spoke through Peter . Christ is not manipulative . Regarding your personal value and what we call ambition . Ambition is not scriptural . Remember the spirit that dwells in believers is the spirit of God . Jesus hid in the desert when they wanted to make Him a King . Jesus was not ambitious because he was really who he said he was . He was not competative because he had no competition . The most successful person in the world ( as society deems success ) has no hope of eternity apart from Christ . Rich and poor , smart and not as smart all need Jesus Christ .
Peter was illiterate . Could not even read nor write and God used him mightily.
I am more concerned for the very "successful" Christian for God gives grace to the humble but opposes the proud . Pray that your husband will humble himself and seek Jesus and be filled with the spirit of lowliness which is Christ.
I am very very happy that you are not a "go getter " . For go getters often glory in their selves and not in Christ Jesus .

Upvote 0