Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus, who clearly is of greater importance than Paul, said the Old Law was to remain in force until heaven and earth passed away and all is accomplished (“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven”-Matthew 5:18-19 RSV). Heaven and earth still exist and many prophecies are not yet fulfilled.
read the vs just before this...Jesus is telling us that He is the only one who can obey to law, that the law doesn't vanish, only the requirements of the law...Look at it this way, as my children get older, they still have the same laws, they still aren't allowed to X, Y, and Z, but with age comes responsibility and so they are given more and more responsibility over controling themselves rather than their parents doing it for them. It's a natural part of growing up.

So here we see Jesus saying, "don't assume that I came to destroy the Law (do away with the law) or the Prophets, I did not come to desstroy but to fullfill (that is to live up to them, to satisfy the blood requirement) then we see the passage you refer to...and from there we see further explaination of the 17th vs. that Jesus is not dismissing the law, it is still a sin to dishonor our parents, commit adultery and incest, etc. what has changed is that it is no longer our blood that is required but Jesus blood, which wasn't even provided for at this point being it is before the resurrection.

Have you never heard this message of Jesus? It is centeral to the Christian beliefs....I can't believe you raise such opposition without knowing or understanding the centeral beliefs. Read on, the law in the next few verses gets even stricter and harder to follow. The law doesn't vanish!!!!....
If I express my true feelings here; then I surely will be banned! So having this handicap, I shall try to stick to Bible Quotes!
awesome, but just for the record, I personally don't have a problem with complete honesty, I have been in trouble for it myself.
By the way; your long and repeating quotes (yes I do read them) do nothing to debate my claims. You are doing your best to "dress the evil" with explanations that are purely your opinions. I ask for a simple answer and you patronise me. What more can I say?
In what way?:confused::confused::confused::confused: I answered your questions using my personal opinions as well as scripture. And since I'm not sure which you intend to refer to here, I will summarize on both accounts 1. if I think murdering children is wrong???? I have clearly answered this question several times now, personally, I think that premeditated murder of anyone is wrong, especially children. I find it to be evil. That being said, I think that there are times in which children die/are killed and it is not evil or wrong if you will. It is both sad and bad when a child is accidentally killed, but that doesn't mean it is evil or wrong, it means it was an terrible accident. If someone is trying to rescue a people from an evil tyrant, and a child is accidentally killed in the war for freedom for all, it is sad and bad and horrible, but not evil per sae, that is my honest opinion. There are things in this world that are terribly sad and hard to deal with, but that isn't the evil, the evil is in the (in the case of war) evil tyrant starving the people not in the war or those fighting to protect the oppressed and the funny thing about all this is that when we read and study the bible we see that God Himself hates the oppressor. Exercises vengence against that oppressor. The oppressor is the evil one.

2. maybe you are referring to all the passages that you presented showing man's evil against man....awesome, that is exactly what I told you from the beginning. Man's evil cannot be attributed to God, only any evil that is God's can be attributed to God. So far, the best you can do there is a couple of wars in which God's intent was to rescue the people from evil tyrants that oppressed the people. In fact, in most of the passages you referred us to, it is painfully clear that it was not God's command, the one that comes to mind first is the one in which the woman's son was eaten. She even stated frankly and without hesitation that a woman (not God) told her....that is pretty clear that it is man's evil not God's that you are angry about.

Here's a thought for you, how about if we look deeper only at those evil's that are indeed God's, and leave all the passages of man's evil to man out of the discussion for the time being....
Just answer the questions without camouflaging the answers with irrelevant examples and opinions.
which question do you still think I have not answered?
Be more Laconic and precise.

I do however feel for you since you have to justify a book that is ambiguous, self exclusive, hypocritical, and much more. :wave:
don't feel sorry for me, every answer you have called for is in that book and pretty clear and not hypocritical, etc. and has been provided for you. To continue to claim it to be say hypocritacal when you have been shown that to be false is willful blindness and not logical thinking. Now it is your decision which you believe, and I honestly don't take the responsibility upon myself, but I will also say that it is dishonest to keep proclaiming things you have been clearly shown...let's take hypocrital for instance. Your claim is that the bible tells us it is okay to commit adultery, incest, etc. Yet the same passage in which you refer to in making this claim, provides us with a list of laws against each of this things. Now there must be a contridiction in order for hypocracy to be truth, but there is none. These things are considered sin, they are against the law. So where is the hypocracy?

Oh and btw, could you answer some of the questions I am asking of you? I love to understand was, how can I hope to understand if you don't answer any of the questions I ask? Thanks

Upvote 0
T

tanzanos

read the vs just before this...Jesus is telling us that He is the only one who can obey to law, that the law doesn't vanish, only the requirements of the law...Look at it this way, as my children get older, they still have the same laws, they still aren't allowed to X, Y, and Z, but with age comes responsibility and so they are given more and more responsibility over controling themselves rather than their parents doing it for them. It's a natural part of growing up.

So here we see Jesus saying, "don't assume that I came to destroy the Law (do away with the law) or the Prophets, I did not come to desstroy but to fullfill (that is to live up to them, to satisfy the blood requirement) then we see the passage you refer to...and from there we see further explaination of the 17th vs. that Jesus is not dismissing the law, it is still a sin to dishonor our parents, commit adultery and incest, etc. what has changed is that it is no longer our blood that is required but Jesus blood, which wasn't even provided for at this point being it is before the resurrection.

Have you never heard this message of Jesus? It is centeral to the Christian beliefs....I can't believe you raise such opposition without knowing or understanding the centeral beliefs. Read on, the law in the next few verses gets even stricter and harder to follow. The law doesn't vanish!!!!.... awesome, but just for the record, I personally don't have a problem with complete honesty, I have been in trouble for it myself. In what way?:confused::confused::confused::confused: I answered your questions using my personal opinions as well as scripture. And since I'm not sure which you intend to refer to here, I will summarize on both accounts 1. if I think murdering children is wrong???? I have clearly answered this question several times now, personally, I think that premeditated murder of anyone is wrong, especially children. I find it to be evil. That being said, I think that there are times in which children die/are killed and it is not evil or wrong if you will. It is both sad and bad when a child is accidentally killed, but that doesn't mean it is evil or wrong, it means it was an terrible accident. If someone is trying to rescue a people from an evil tyrant, and a child is accidentally killed in the war for freedom for all, it is sad and bad and horrible, but not evil per sae, that is my honest opinion. There are things in this world that are terribly sad and hard to deal with, but that isn't the evil, the evil is in the (in the case of war) evil tyrant starving the people not in the war or those fighting to protect the oppressed and the funny thing about all this is that when we read and study the bible we see that God Himself hates the oppressor. Exercises vengence against that oppressor. The oppressor is the evil one.

2. maybe you are referring to all the passages that you presented showing man's evil against man....awesome, that is exactly what I told you from the beginning. Man's evil cannot be attributed to God, only any evil that is God's can be attributed to God. So far, the best you can do there is a couple of wars in which God's intent was to rescue the people from evil tyrants that oppressed the people. In fact, in most of the passages you referred us to, it is painfully clear that it was not God's command, the one that comes to mind first is the one in which the woman's son was eaten. She even stated frankly and without hesitation that a woman (not God) told her....that is pretty clear that it is man's evil not God's that you are angry about.

Here's a thought for you, how about if we look deeper only at those evil's that are indeed God's, and leave all the passages of man's evil to man out of the discussion for the time being.... which question do you still think I have not answered? don't feel sorry for me, every answer you have called for is in that book and pretty clear and not hypocritical, etc. and has been provided for you. To continue to claim it to be say hypocritacal when you have been shown that to be false is willful blindness and not logical thinking. Now it is your decision which you believe, and I honestly don't take the responsibility upon myself, but I will also say that it is dishonest to keep proclaiming things you have been clearly shown...let's take hypocrital for instance. Your claim is that the bible tells us it is okay to commit adultery, incest, etc. Yet the same passage in which you refer to in making this claim, provides us with a list of laws against each of this things. Now there must be a contridiction in order for hypocracy to be truth, but there is none. These things are considered sin, they are against the law. So where is the hypocracy?

Oh and btw, could you answer some of the questions I am asking of you? I love to understand was, how can I hope to understand if you don't answer any of the questions I ask? Thanks
Why is it that you blame men when evil is evident in the bible? The bible is SELF CONTRADICTING! It is a book full of inconsistencies and downright hypocrisy!

Are you saying that one can choose at will what to keep and what to discard from the bible? Or what to follow and what to disregard? So far you are explaining what so and so means in the bible as if you alone know the meaning behind what is written. No matter how you try to justify the evil inherent in the bible and try to blame anything and anyone except God for it; you will not be able to hide the basic message the bible is trying to convey:

Fear, Retribution, Submission, eternal damnation, Obedience, RACISM, Incest, murder, etc. Lot was spared from the genocide of Sodom and Gomorrah and was not punished when he committed incest with his own daughters. So God kills everyone in two cities (including babies) for being sinfull and spares Lot after he committed one of the same sin that he had burned two cities for?

If you know in advance the outcome of your actions: Will you go ahead and do them? God knew Lucifer will rebel and end up being the devil when he created him as an ARCHANGEL of all things! Yet he decided to go ahead anyway. And what was Lucifer's crime? The same crime Prometheus was punished for; giving to manking something usefull. Prometheus gave the secret of fire to man and Lucifer gave the fruit of KNOWLEDGE! Wow! God wanted man to remain ignorant yet it is claimed he gave him FREE WILL! This is tantamount to torture! Having free will and not having access to knowledge is worse than death.

To sum it all up: The Bible is a book on Bronze age superstitions and has almost no value as an historicall record nor of any scientific value.
Now you can press the REPORT button!

Have a very nice day! (this is said in all honesty):wave:

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why is it that you blame men when evil is evident in the bible? The bible is SELF CONTRADICTING! It is a book full of inconsistencies and downright hypocrisy!
awesome, now can you explain how the "self contradicting" bible means that you should blame God for the evil man does?

Also can you show where the bible's inconsistencies and hypocrisy is? Thanks, I'm anxious, this has been a good discussion, full of great questions.
Are you saying that one can choose at will what to keep and what to discard from the bible?
not at all, the entire bible is relevant, the question is what is the purpose of the teaching....take the OT law for example. According to the Jews, that law should still be good, in fact, there are some Jews that still practice animal sacrifice. The Christian however is a NT believer, in other things animal sacrifice is no longer necessary. This is because of Jesus the Christ. What the law meant under the new "covenant" (church word for death and resurrection of Christ) was a discussion had in the early church as well, one that good old Paul got to deal with. As long as blood is required for man to find restoration for sin, we need one of three things 1. animal blood, 2. man's blood, and/or 3. Jesus blood. In the NT Jesus blood suffices. Therefore, the NT believer, is said to me no longer under the law but under grace. Let's see, a simple way to say that.....the law still tells us what is right and wrong but the blood is no longer required because Jesus blood was pure enough to cover it all.
Or what to follow and what to disregard?
Because of the above, the NT believer would try to follow the law but not be subject to the curse (eternal death) of that same law. It really is quite simple and beautiful.

In this understanding, the OT is equally relevant today because it tells us what and how to be righteous.
So far you are explaining what so and so means in the bible as if you alone know the meaning behind what is written.
Listen, because I found answers in God, through the Word (bible) I believe, I have found it to be one truth right after another. One of the commands of the bible is to be prepared to give account, or answer as it were. I take that command as seriously as I take the other commands, like the 10 commandments, grace, love, etc. In fact, I have had people tell me that no one lives what they believe more than I do. Now I don't know if that is true or not, what I do know is this, when I am told to know enough about the bible to give an answer to the hard questions you are asking, I plan to do just that. I don't know anymore about the bible and God than anyone else out there can know with a little study. In fact, many of the passages your provided didn't take hardly any effort to see that it was not God you were disgusted with but man. If I speak with authority it is nothing more than the authority God has given us each in His word. If that upsets you, I guess you have one more accusation to levy against God.

Consider this, if I spend years studying a given topic, let's say, snowmobiles, I am somewhat of an expert on snowmobiles. I may run across something I don't know, but chances are after years and years of study, I'm gonna know most of what you could possibly think to ask. The same is true here, I have been studying for years and years now, I should have answers to the questions you ask.
No matter how you try to justify the evil inherent in the bible and try to blame anything and anyone except God for it; you will not be able to hide the basic message the bible is trying to convey:
we'll talk about the basic message in a moment but first, the inherent evil in the bible.

We took a look at every passage you presented that supposedly showed God to be evil, suddenly your argument changes to the bible being evil not God. I can live with that, hey you may not even have realized you changed your stand, no worries. But here is the point. If I write a historical account of some atrocity, let's say the holocaust, the book isn't evil, nor am I for telling the story of what happened. The evil rests squarely on the men/man/women that preformed the evil acts. The same is true for the bible. The OT is primarily a history of the Jewish people you get some geneologies and some early stuff in Gen. Throw in a few songs, and you pretty much cover it all, but mostly it is a historical account of the early days of the Jews. So basically, we are looking at a history book. Now history books are full of evils that man does to other man, but we never once attribute those evils to the author of the history book, why then would we do so with God. The vast majority of the passages you presented to prove your case, we clearly stated as evils of man against man. From rape and murder to spoils of war, you showed a history book full of the evils of early Jews. Only a couple of the passages were even related to God's command and they were all issues of God's vengence upon the oppressors. So you still need to explain how this is a book of God's evils and why you would attribute man's evils to God. Is it just because you don't like God that you feel the need to attribute man's evils to HIm? or is there another reason? The bible is pretty dog gone clear on almost every passage you presented that the evil in the passage was not God's but man's, so why does that put the blame on God? I don't understand the logic of it, your gonna have to help me to grasp what premise leads you to the logic that man's evils are God's to own.
Fear, Retribution, Submission, eternal damnation, Obedience, RACISM, Incest, murder, etc. Lot was spared from the genocide of Sodom and Gomorrah and was not punished when he committed incest with his own daughters. So God kills everyone in two cities (including babies) for being sinfull and spares Lot after he committed one of the same sin that he had burned two cities for?
Wow.....so where all these things are condemned, you only see hypocracy? How does that work, again I fail to see the logic.

God accepts that we will sin, and in God's eyes, sin is sin, in other words, all sin results in death, only man attaches that level or degree of sin that we are so familiar with. the problem with Sodom and Gomorrah is way beyond one sin.

Look at it this way, as a parent, are you perfect? do you do everything right? Is there a difference between a parent who punishes an innocent child and a parent who abuses their child repeatedly? Is there a difference between a parent who gives a child a time out for bad behavior and a parent that locks their child in a closet without food and water for days on end? That is pretty much so the difference here, Sodom and Gomorrah were evil, they were like the abusive parent, Lot was like the parent who made a mistake. So tell me this, would you take both parents to court and sentence both to the same fate? Would both the parent who made a mistake and the conistant abusive parent answer for the same crime? or would you sentence one to prison and not the other?
If you know in advance the outcome of your actions: Will you go ahead and do them? God knew Lucifer will rebel and end up being the devil when he created him as an ARCHANGEL of all things! Yet he decided to go ahead anyway. And what was Lucifer's crime? The same crime Prometheus was punished for; giving to manking something usefull. Prometheus gave the secret of fire to man and Lucifer gave the fruit of KNOWLEDGE! Wow! God wanted man to remain ignorant yet it is claimed he gave him FREE WILL! This is tantamount to torture! Having free will and not having access to knowledge is worse than death.
Wow, three different issues here, let's see if we can seperate them and make some sense out of all this.
1. in advance of the outcome. I know we talked about this, but it deserves to be repeated. the biblical description of God's all knowing power is that time flows, He is. So, He knows your past because He was there. He knows your present because He is there, the same is true of the future, He knows the future not because He is a mind reader or fortune teller but because He is there. Now I realize this is a hard concept for many in fact, I suspect that is why so many see God as a fotune teller, but the biblical understanding simply doesn't match up. What matches up is an understanding that God knows what will happen because He is there. That basically means that we have total control of the future, not God, and no right to blame God for what we decide.

2. Lucifers sin was trying to be like God. It is the same sin btw that he tried to convince Adam and Eve of, it's the sin of pride. So let's look at this for just a moment, the bible teaches Love, a love that is marked by the humility of putting others above one's self. The opposite of Love then would be pride. So if Lucifer's sin, if Adam and Eve were convinced by, the sin of pride, then the sin of pride/the gift of love must be an aweful big deal to God huh!? Throughout the bible we see a repeating of the same story...love over pride.

In addition, you must be a bit careful here, and I wouldn't be prepared to answer if I didn't warn you, the bible doesn't say that Lucifer was the one who deceived Adam and Eve. That is the traditional understand and does have some merit, however, the text says serpent, not Lucifer or the devil or Satan, etc. So before making false accusations, be careful what you say about who deceived.

3. The serpent did not make Adam and Eve eat the fruit, it was a willing, willful defiance of the rules. Today, many people have an issue with personal responsibility, we see it all over the place. Law suits, laws, religious beliefs, social events, everyone is quick to blame someone else, just as you are doing here. Lucifer/the serpent, did not force nor eat the fruit for Adam or Eve, Adam and Eve were each responsible for their own defiance. This Idea is also consistent throughout scripture where we are told that our salvation is our own, we cannot believe for someone else, not even a parent, child, or spouse. We each make our own decisions. That is why what you do with what I am saying is totally and completely yours. I would love to be able to show you what I know to be truth, but it isn't mine to show you, even if I could, you would not believe, because you don't want to. That is your business, but when we fail to take responsibility for ourselves, we fail to be the people that a healthy society needs to thrive. We fail to be the people we can be, and we fail to be righteous to name but a few. Don't blame Lucifer or the serpent for what Adam and Eve, you and I do. Just like we can't blame God for what man does, we can't blame another for what we do. No one forced, made, or otherwise coerced Adam and Eve, all the serpent did was to lie to them about becoming like God, because we know from the story, that they did indeed die, on two different levels.
To sum it all up: The Bible is a book on Bronze age superstitions and has almost no value as an historicall record nor of any scientific value.
Now you can press the REPORT button!

Have a very nice day! (this is said in all honesty):wave:
why would I even think of pressing the report button for an honest response from you? that doesn't make sense!

As to what the Bible is, I think you should look up some of the historical accounts and compare them with other records, they are surprisingly accurate. Again I would suggest the book A Case for Christ, as a starting point, it shows where to look for evidence, what questions to ask to determine whether or not the evidence is flawed, etc. It really is an interesting book and presented some questions I haven't even thought of. I'm anxious to read it. Point is this, if you want to know truth, you must look for truth, what do you have to loose by studying the historical accuracy of the bible against other records we have of the time. Archeology can be fun.

I even saw a documentary on the firy furnace once, and the archeology and science that went into identifying whether or not this account was possible. Really fascinating stuff, whether you believe or not it's history, it's ancient people, how can it not be interesting? Even if you walk away still believing it's just the superstitions of a Bronze age people, it's interesting stuff. Brings up all kinds of questions, like why did they believe what they did? What did they find to be evil when they believed in slavery, and some of the marriage issues they believed it? If they believed these things, why would they disobey God in the first place? and a million more questions open up when we actually look at and study the beliefs and history of these ancient people. Have fun with your study if you choose to do one, and please keep me posted on what you find, I may have missed some stuff, in fact, I'm sure I have.

Upvote 0
T

tanzanos

It is time to finalise my arguments. I shall never believe in any deity! My reason for debating here is simply to point out the evil behind religions. That the God of Abraham is a figment of imagination that supports the bashing of children's heads on cobblestones; has no place in a modern society. One does not need religion in order to lead an honest life. I am against injustice, racism, hate, and all manner of evil that societies come by through religious bigotry. I stopped believing in God when I was around 9. The only thing I accept is what science tells me.

As for your attempts to justify the bible's contents; I can only say that you have the talent of a politician. Many words but no clear meaning. I am not attempting to insult you and beg your forgiveness if insult is taken. Also I shall not try to sway you from your beliefs. My opinion is that God is evil because evil and superstitious minds invented him in their image.

It is fruitless to continue this debate as we both have our minds set in our convictions.

Enjoy your day! :wave:

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is time to finalise my arguments. I shall never believe in any deity! My reason for debating here is simply to point out the evil behind religions. That the God of Abraham is a figment of imagination that supports the bashing of children's heads on cobblestones; has no place in a modern society. One does not need religion in order to lead an honest life. I am against injustice, racism, hate, and all manner of evil that societies come by through religious bigotry. I stopped believing in God when I was around 9. The only thing I accept is what science tells me.
that would be an awesome goal except for one thing, you haven't demonstrated your point at all. You have not shown religion much less christianity to be evil or harmful to society and in fact, the science that you accept shows that religions are helpful and good for the individual as well as society....wow so many references, it is even so prevalent in science that it hits the news on a regular basis.
As for your attempts to justify the bible's contents; I can only say that you have the talent of a politician. Many words but no clear meaning. I am not attempting to insult you and beg your forgiveness if insult is taken. Also I shall not try to sway you from your beliefs. My opinion is that God is evil because evil and superstitious minds invented him in their image.
I am not so easily insulted, but I have a question for you, a serious question, one that I would love the chance to address...what is not clear about what I have said? Not what do you not agree with, we're pretty clear about where we disagree, what I want to know is what you didn't understand. In communication the goal is understanding so this is a very important and vital question.
It is fruitless to continue this debate as we both have our minds set in our convictions.

Enjoy your day! :wave:
I have no problem with that provide my communication was clear, you suggest it isn't I would like the opportunity to make it clear in the interest of fair debate. But if I don't understand what you don't understand I can't explain it any better now can I?

I have totally enjoyed this discussion, you have shown yourself to be someone who thinks, feels, is gracious, etc. However, I am disturbed that you still don't understand the basics of what I have said. The whole point as best I can tell is to communicate on such a level as to the points being made are understood. If you don't give me the opportunity to make my points clear, then (no offense intended) what happens to the good reputation you just created?

Upvote 0
T

tanzanos

I have no problem with that provide my communication was clear, you suggest it isn't I would like the opportunity to make it clear in the interest of fair debate. But if I don't understand what you don't understand I can't explain it any better now can I?
Your replies make no sense to me because you assume that I understand your framework which is based purely on faith!
Faith versus reason! This is why we fail to communicate!

Had I shown you a Book Identical to the Bible but instead of God I used the word Satan and instead of Satan I used the word God, and changed to new and unheard of all the names; then surely you would be quick to denounce the Bible as an evil book! It is the mark of injustice when one justifies evil in the name of Good!
Jesus was an historic figure, a peacemaker; just like Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jnr. Even the Pre Nicene Christians (Proto-Christians) did not believe Jesus was God. Yet Jesus was made into a God (very common practice in those days to make their leaders into gods) after the Nicene creed was formed.

Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are all based on the stone age concept of the Abrahamic God. A god that dwelled in the superstitious minds of ignorant goat herding desert dwellers. One can see in religion the reflection of society; and an example being; Greek Mythology compared to the Abrahamic religions. There is a clear reflection of the pertinent social norms and aspirations reflected therein. The Greeks gave their Gods Human traits including human weaknesses. They (Gods) even fought with each other much like the city states fought each other at the time. This shows how societies create deities to reflect their own way of life. The Greeks were extremely independent minded and egotists and that is why Democracy was born there; because each wanted to express his own. Likewise the Abrahamic religions reflect the harshness of desert life and the strict laws required for a desert society to survive when faced with enemies that fight for water rights and pasture lands.

This forum does not allow for in depth coverage of any topic, so let us rest our case and each to his own!

Have a nice day:wave:

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your replies make no sense to me because you assume that I understand your framework which is based purely on faith!
Faith versus reason! This is why we fail to communicate!
there are two problems with this answer to my question.
1. my replies are based on logic without doubt, where we differ in premise. therefore if I was being unclear as your accusation is, then the reason would be much different than premise

2. If we look at this statement further we see that you find my answers unclear because they are "based on faith". Faith is a premise by which an understanding is based. If your right, and my answers lack logic (which I have shown they don't) then the premise you speak of here should be enough to allow understanding and clarity of ideas.
Had I shown you a Book Identical to the Bible but instead of God I used the word Satan and instead of Satan I used the word God, and changed to new and unheard of all the names; then surely you would be quick to denounce the Bible as an evil book! It is the mark of injustice when one justifies evil in the name of Good!
see, this is what I don't understand about your claim of clarity. I understand very well why you think God is evil. I even understand why you think that the bible is evil, but just because I understand where your getting your ideas does not make them unclear. You read sites like the one you posted for us, and conclude that the bible is evil and God along with it. That is clear and understandable. Just because I disagree and can show you point by point where you are wrong doesn't make it any less understandable.
Jesus was an historic figure, a peacemaker; just like Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jnr. Even the Pre Nicene Christians (Proto-Christians) did not believe Jesus was God. Yet Jesus was made into a God (very common practice in those days to make their leaders into gods) after the Nicene creed was formed.

Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are all based on the stone age concept of the Abrahamic God. A god that dwelled in the superstitious minds of ignorant goat herding desert dwellers. One can see in religion the reflection of society; and an example being; Greek Mythology compared to the Abrahamic religions. There is a clear reflection of the pertinent social norms and aspirations reflected therein. The Greeks gave their Gods Human traits including human weaknesses. They (Gods) even fought with each other much like the city states fought each other at the time. This shows how societies create deities to reflect their own way of life. The Greeks were extremely independent minded and egotists and that is why Democracy was born there; because each wanted to express his own. Likewise the Abrahamic religions reflect the harshness of desert life and the strict laws required for a desert society to survive when faced with enemies that fight for water rights and pasture lands.
both of these are interesting topics for us to get into a discussion about. In fact, it is pretty dog gone fascinating to study. But your claim was that you were done with discussion and that I was unclear in some of my points, so in the interest of listening and fair debate rules, I would offer that we don't discuss these topics right now, unless of course you have changed your mind. And secondly that you present what points I made that were unclear so that in the interest of communication I can clarify them and we can move on with fair debate. So unless your changing your mind and/or claim what I need is to know what I said that was unclear, so that I can clarify and we can move on.

If you would like to add the above to our discussion, I'd love it, let me know.
This forum does not allow for in depth coverage of any topic, so let us rest our case and each to his own!

Have a nice day:wave:
I have no issue with resting the case, my only interest at the moment is the opportunity to be clear in my ideas and points. Seems to me a small cost of civil disagreements.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think what we see here is man trying to decide what he would
do if he were a god and would do a better job of it.
If you don't know why God did something (and it's not what you
would have done), then it HAS to be evil and purposeless.

We cannot forget that God has a whole plan and whole journey
to work with humanity for THOUSANDS of years as it "matures" and
grows in knowledge.
He was dealing with ancient people with little knowledge and who
didn't have history books to read from to know anything, yet we
expect to read that He's dealing with advanced societies like us.
(and I use the term "advanced" loosely, since I see barbarism
and mentalities that aren't much different than their days just
in different aspects.)

I wouldn't of done things God did, but that's exactly why I'm NOT
God - I cannot see what He sees (past, present, future), I cannot
read people's minds and hearts (motive/intents), I cannot know
what He has in store in the future which is why He would lead
a certain way or allow certain things - -

& since we cannot see or know these things, we are not qualified
to judge Him.
One thing I also notice, He most often is attacked for "evil" people
see, yet when is He credited for any good?
And, why should He do good and be benevolent to people who
spit in His face or ignore Him completely?

Also, I think people forget that Jesus came here to die - He lived
and suffered worse than alot of other people ever will (for nothing
He had done).
I consider that worth loving; if nothing more than for that alone.

Random design - evolution are just disproven by the intricacy of
creation, I don't have enough faith to believe such a thing has no
designer with purpose.

Prophecy being fulfilled also is a strong proof of scripture too.
I can't ignore that.

Reactions: PeacaHeaven
Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think what we see here is man trying to decide what he would
do if he were a god and would do a better job of it.
If you don't know why God did something (and it's not what you
would have done), then it HAS to be evil and purposeless.

We cannot forget that God has a whole plan and whole journey
to work with humanity for THOUSANDS of years as it "matures" and
grows in knowledge.
He was dealing with ancient people with little knowledge and who
didn't have history books to read from to know anything, yet we
expect to read that He's dealing with advanced societies like us.
(and I use the term "advanced" loosely, since I see barbarism
and mentalities that aren't much different than their days just
in different aspects.)

I wouldn't of done things God did, but that's exactly why I'm NOT
God - I cannot see what He sees (past, present, future), I cannot
read people's minds and hearts (motive/intents), I cannot know
what He has in store in the future which is why He would lead
a certain way or allow certain things - -

& since we cannot see or know these things, we are not qualified
to judge Him.
One thing I also notice, He most often is attacked for "evil" people
see, yet when is He credited for any good?
And, why should He do good and be benevolent to people who
spit in His face or ignore Him completely?

Also, I think people forget that Jesus came here to die - He lived
and suffered worse than alot of other people ever will (for nothing
He had done).
I consider that worth loving; if nothing more than for that alone.

Random design - evolution are just disproven by the intricacy of
creation, I don't have enough faith to believe such a thing has no
designer with purpose.

Prophecy being fulfilled also is a strong proof of scripture too.
I can't ignore that.
Interesting concepts, thanks, so let me ask you this, do you think we can find most of God's reasonings for what He did in scripture?

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting concepts, thanks, so let me ask you this, do you think we can find most of God's reasonings for what He did in scripture?
Most?...... well... directly - they aren't given alot of times,
but you can see in scripture later, what became of something
when they disobeyed.

Let me give a for instance. We aren't told why God ordered everyone
in a certain heathen nation to be put to death in war.
(& I would add too that commenaries I read note that before Israel
waged war, they gave warning in advance. This would have allowed
for any women/children to flee ahead of time.
So those who stayed were defiantly taking the risk ) -

Anyways, we see later on that becuz they didn't kill everyone like
God commanded, those certain individuals or groups ended up
being thorns in the side of Israel. Had they obeyed God, they would
not have some of these enemies against them (even today).

So we aren't told WHY they were not to spare anyone, but we see
later what came from their disobedience. That's basically giving us
a reason without stating it directly for us.

With things like the dietary law in the OT - - doctors today end up
telling us exactly what the OT taught God's people; what not to eat
and why.
Even shellfish are not "healthy" as they're bottom feeders - same with
pork... don't eat fat, don't eat blood, gluttony, etc.
God told them not to bathe in stagnant pools of water, only rushing
water... we know about germs today but they didn't back then.
Alot of the OT law was protecting them -physically & spiritually &
noone knew it.
Alot of it is spiritual symbolism too; a picture-graph if you will.
A learning tool teachers use.

As I see God's will and goal, His goal isn't to make us all happy
and content down here, it's to get people into eternal life.
His goals aren't even what ours are, so right there you will have
a 'disconnect' in how we view God & what He does.

Our goals are for our own comfort, security and wellbeing - His are
to move us into salvation by shaking up what we trust in down here
on earth to look above to Him - to rely on Him.

So every time we see Him doing something harsh, in our view (our
goal in life), it's evil and cruel - to God, it's either punishing wrongs
that have to be stopped, or pushing us out of contentment &
into the stark reality of this being a temporal life to be lived in
preparing us for the next.

We honestly want to be lulled to sleep and live in bliss as our
nature. (sorry if I went off track there, I hope it kind of
answers your post?) :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Most?...... well... directly - they aren't given alot of times,
but you can see in scripture later, what became of something
when they disobeyed.

Let me give a for instance. We aren't told why God ordered everyone
in a certain heathen nation to be put to death in war.
(& I would add too that commenaries I read note that before Israel
waged war, they gave warning in advance. This would have allowed
for any women/children to flee ahead of time.
So those who stayed were defiantly taking the risk ) -

Anyways, we see later on that becuz they didn't kill everyone like
God commanded, those certain individuals or groups ended up
being thorns in the side of Israel. Had they obeyed God, they would
not have some of these enemies against them (even today).

So we aren't told WHY they were not to spare anyone, but we see
later what came from their disobedience. That's basically giving us
a reason without stating it directly for us.

With things like the dietary law in the OT - - doctors today end up
telling us exactly what the OT taught God's people; what not to eat
and why.
Even shellfish are not "healthy" as they're bottom feeders - same with
pork... don't eat fat, don't eat blood, gluttony, etc.
God told them not to bathe in stagnant pools of water, only rushing
water... we know about germs today but they didn't back then.
Alot of the OT law was protecting them -physically & spiritually &
noone knew it.
Alot of it is spiritual symbolism too; a picture-graph if you will.
A learning tool teachers use.

As I see God's will and goal, His goal isn't to make us all happy
and content down here, it's to get people into eternal life.
His goals aren't even what ours are, so right there you will have
a 'disconnect' in how we view God & what He does.

Our goals are for our own comfort, security and wellbeing - His are
to move us into salvation by shaking up what we trust in down here
on earth to look above to Him - to rely on Him.

So every time we see Him doing something harsh, in our view (our
goal in life), it's evil and cruel - to God, it's either punishing wrongs
that have to be stopped, or pushing us out of contentment &
into the stark reality of this being a temporal life to be lived in
preparing us for the next.

We honestly want to be lulled to sleep and live in bliss as our
nature. (sorry if I went off track there, I hope it kind of
answers your post?) :)
actually what you have said is pretty close to what I have been saying only different, more general as a rule.

A few months back, I was studying on the 23 rd Psalm. In studying it, what I realized is that the shepherd protects the sheep from what He knows are dangers, not from everything the sheep suspect is dangerous. Now, I can't read scripture without seeing the difference between what God sees as dangerous and what man suspects is dangerous.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
actually what you have said is pretty close to what I have been saying only different, more general as a rule.

A few months back, I was studying on the 23 rd Psalm. In studying it, what I realized is that the shepherd protects the sheep from what He knows are dangers, not from everything the sheep suspect is dangerous. Now, I can't read scripture without seeing the difference between what God sees as dangerous and what man suspects is dangerous.
Ah, I see what you mean. Good points, I hadn't thought of
it that way before. Once again, it's our perspectives vs.
His.
This is why I've learned to just trust when I don't have an answer.
I know there is one and just stick to 'the plan' I'm given.
It will fall into place at some point later.

You know one of your points reminded me of Hosea 4:6
Hosea 4:6

6My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge
Because you have rejected knowledge,
I also will reject you from being My priest
Since you have forgotten the law of your God,
I also will forget your children.

God gives us instruction on how to live thru His word and even
in inward conscience.
When we reject that and do what we want instead, how can
we blame God for the consequences of our decisions?

When I thought out how much pain & suffering we see on earth
today, I attributed MOST of it to man's inhumanity to man - or
failure to follow God's instructions for life.
How much trouble today could be eradicated by obedience? tons.

Yet God gets blamed for most of it.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ah, I see what you mean. Good points, I hadn't thought of
it that way before. Once again, it's our perspectives vs.
His.
This is why I've learned to just trust when I don't have an answer.
I know there is one and just stick to 'the plan' I'm given.
It will fall into place at some point later.

You know one of your points reminded me of Hosea 4:6

God gives us instruction on how to live thru His word and even
in inward conscience.
When we reject that and do what we want instead, how can
we blame God for the consequences of our decisions?

When I thought out how much pain & suffering we see on earth
today, I attributed MOST of it to man's inhumanity to man - or
failure to follow God's instructions for life.
How much trouble today could be eradicated by obedience? tons.

Yet God gets blamed for most of it.
exactly...but without spiritual eyes to see, we will never understand these thing with more than our intellect.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
exactly...but without spiritual eyes to see, we will never understand these thing with more than our intellect.
I agree again.

Our intellect seems to be what hinders us most; while we think we
know so much.
As I see it, the more knowledge man attains, the more depraved
he's getting overall. Now why is that?
You'de think it would be just the opposite.

:scratch:

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree again.

know so much.

:scratch:
Maybe because the more knowledge man has, the less innocent he becomes, goes back to Gen. and why God would tell Adam and Eve not to eat of the fruit

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe because the more knowledge man has, the less innocent he becomes, goes back to Gen. and why God would tell Adam and Eve not to eat of the fruit
hey :idea: I think you're onto something there.

Definitely may lead to hardening the heart as we learn and
continue to suppress truth to promote the lie Rom 1.
Then over time God turns people over to the depravity

hmmm

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
hey :idea: I think you're onto something there.

Definitely may lead to hardening the heart as we learn and
continue to suppress truth to promote the lie Rom 1.
Then over time God turns people over to the depravity

hmmm
The bible does hold the answers, just very few people are willing to seek them out.

Rom 1 is a very nice summary, thanks for posting it, I especially like these verses
28Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 29They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
know so much.

It is precisely our intellect that tells us so. It is people who lack intellect who don't know just how much they don't know.

It is just the opposite. It is the illusion of familiarity with the present that causes us to think that past centuries were so much better than our own.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0
T

tanzanos

God punished Adam and Eve for eating the fruit of knowledge. Does this not strike you as extremely contradictory?

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is precisely our intellect that tells us so. It is people who lack intellect who don't know just how much they don't know.
Our intellect tends to make us arrogant and self righteous... Consider the mass murder in jail who does an interview and acts as if he is the smartest man in the world, or the criminal that does stupid things trying to defy the police, thinking they can get away with it. Or how about the elitists among us who think that because of their money and power they are above the law. Face it, sin, or getting away with a sin, is a natural high, producing chemicals in our bodies that excite us and spur us to want more and more and more. It's as much physilogical as it is anything else, or so it would seem.
It is just the opposite. It is the illusion of familiarity with the present that causes us to think that past centuries were so much better than our own.

eudaimonia,

Mark
This stumps me, seldom have I ever heard anyone proclaim that the past was much better than our present, at least as far as intelligence goes. As far as sins against man, yeah, is that what you are referring to here?

Upvote 0