googledotman

May 6, 2009
✟7,612.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you can read this, help me:

I used to be proud to call myself a christian, but lately I have had concerns about the faith that worry me deeply.

A scenario that lead to my first questions:

There is a Jewish man, who never believes in Christ, and never will. Yet, everyday he embraces Christ like qualities. He is an excellent father, a pillar to his community, and a joy to pretty much anyone he comes in contact with. But, because he died and never accepted Christ, this man is supposed to burn in hell for all eternity.

On the other hand, there is a child molester, a serial child molester, who for 60 years of his life, molests children as his full time job. This man is responsible for the upheaval of possibly thousands of innocent childrens lives. However, on his deathbed, he has a full legitamate repentance, that leads to his salvation. Only by the grace of God is this man saved and goes to heaven as a result.

Me and a lot of others, find this to be very disturbing. Why would the God that we all love even have a hell, let alone send a good person to one? How would God even justify such a thing?

Some say that the Lord gives us free will, but in a world where God creates us knowing what we are going to do, how can we have free will if essentially the choice has already been made for us? God already knows who will and won't accept him, so why would God even make people who would go to such a place as hell?

What about those who are in living situations that for whatever reason, will never be able to even hear about Christ? Do they go to hell too? Is accepting Christ the only way to elude hell?

And assuming that God would justify hell, of course someone could accept it as truth, but they would accept out of fear, not reverence or love for the Lord, could anyone really love someone that could even create a place like hell? Frankly, I would accept the word as truth, but knowing that there is a place like hell, would make me fearful, and I really can't conceive an all-loving God creating such a place. Better yet, I don't think my love for that God could be genuine.

Have I got things all wrong? Please help me.

-Googledotman

The Nihilist

Contributor
Sep 14, 2006
✟16,289.00
Faith
Atheist
This was one of my primary concerns when I was a christian, and my thinking was basically as follows. What does it mean to love and follow Jesus? Does it mean to love the man/god? This is trivial; you've never met him. No one has met him in 1,970 years. Does it mean to believe he rose from the dead? I guess it can be that, but I'm not sure the king of the universe is going to choose his people based on how gullible they are. It has always seemed to me that Jesus, were he alive today, would rebuke as hypocrites most contemporary christians. How did he say he would handle people like that? They would cry out to him "Lord, lord," and he would say "I never knew you." That's in your bible somewhere.
To love and serve the lord means to follow his teachings, to have compassion, to see to the needs of the wretched. Is this salvation by works? What if it is, I refer you to Matthew 25:31-46. But if that makes you uncomfortable, I'd argue that it has much more to do with what we ultimately know is good, and what can that be but God?

Upvote 0

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist
The Bible passages relating to salvation/damnation are interpreted in wildly differing ways.

One large reason for that is the word "Hell". In the original languages, there are actually a number of different words used for Hell, and many will claim that those different words also indicate different concepts. A well known example is the the word that may be more accuratly translated as "grave".

"All non believers are going to Hell!"
or
"All non believers are going to the grave!"

Pretty big difference.

Another large reason is that much of the salvation/damnation doctrine comes from Revelations... Have you ever tried to read that book?

Short detour: I own a book that tries to "explain" Revelations. The interesting thing? It's a second edition.

The first edition was written in 1850 or something, and it is filled with "clear" evidence that the occurences of that day signal the end of times, etc.

The second edition was published in 1930 or something, and contained an interesting foreword. Basically, it admitted that most of the stuff explained/predicted by the first edition didn't actually come true, but that the book was still an interesting read.
So yeah, the moral of the story: don't trust someone else's interpretation of Revelations.

If you're uncomfortable with the way that pastor X interprets the Bible: just read it for yourself, and draw your own conclusions.

Upvote 0

kotwebck

Waiting for the King, come Jesus.
May 4, 2009
Vereeniging, South Africa
✟7,692.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
There is a Jewish man, who never believes in Christ, and never will. Yet, everyday he embraces Christ like qualities. He is an excellent father, a pillar to his community, and a joy to pretty much anyone he comes in contact with. But, because he died and never accepted Christ, this man is supposed to burn in hell for all eternity.
-Googledotman

It's a bitter pill, but living like a saint will not get you saved ... believing in Jesus is the only way.

"burn in hell" was a description of what it would be like - is there gonna be real fire ... I guess we will have to findout oen day.

Upvote 0

kotwebck

May 4, 2009
✟7,692.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

Me and a lot of others, find this to be very disturbing. Why would the God that we all love even have a hell, let alone send a good person to one? How would God even justify such a thing?

Some say that the Lord gives us free will, but in a world where God creates us knowing what we are going to do, how can we have free will if essentially the choice has already been made for us? God already knows who will and won't accept him, so why would God even make people who would go to such a place as hell?

What about those who are in living situations that for whatever reason, will never be able to even hear about Christ? Do they go to hell too? Is accepting Christ the only way to elude hell?

And assuming that God would justify hell, of course someone could accept it as truth, but they would accept out of fear, not reverence or love for the Lord, could anyone really love someone that could even create a place like hell? Frankly, I would accept the word as truth, but knowing that there is a place like hell, would make me fearful, and I really can't conceive an all-loving God creating such a place. Better yet, I don't think my love for that God could be genuine.

-Googledotman

Number one hell was not created for us. it is for the enemy/satan or his real name Lusifer, it's just that he (satan) then decided to pick us humans to go with him.

Jesus promised us that everyone will hear his name and have a choice to follow him or not.

Yes it is scary ... lol ... but not believing in God and his Son ain't gonna make Him go away ... we are locked in a war we do not even understand, all we have to really do is pick sides.

So ... yeah hell is real, but so is Jesus ... Jesus saves just got new meaning I bet.

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to the world of REASON! Just read the 10 commandments and you will shun away from Christianity even more. Even Jesus admonished the Pharisees for not adhering to the commandment of killing disobedient children.
The Bible is full of murder, incest, genocide, and just plain evil.
Visit
Evil Bible Home Page
and you shall be shocked!:wave:

Who needs overarching theological contexts?

As for the original question, this is an age-old subject. In Catholic theology there exists the concept of invincible ignorance where people who have never heard of Christ are still able to be saved through Christ from a good life.

Salvation is also through faith + works rather than faith alone. And I'm not entirely sure the child molester has the best set of works...

Upvote 0
T

tanzanos

Who needs overarching theological contexts?

As for the original question, this is an age-old subject. In Catholic theology there exists the concept of invincible ignorance where people who have never heard of Christ are still able to be saved through Christ from a good life.

Salvation is also through faith + works rather than faith alone. And I'm not entirely sure the child molester has the best set of works...
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
The same applies to the Greek orthodox church. If one leads an honest life and is good to others then he will be saved. The other side of the pond seem to believe the opposite; that it matters not what one does; he will be eternally damned if he does not believe in Jesus. Although to many American sects; both Catholic and Orthodox are considered non Christian and not worthy of eternal happiness in paradise.:wave:

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My turn to take a stab at this, actually, I love this type of questions, hope they don't stop.

I used to be proud to call myself a christian, but lately I have had concerns about the faith that worry me deeply.

On the other hand, there is a child molester, a serial child molester, who for 60 years of his life, molests children as his full time job. This man is responsible for the upheaval of possibly thousands of innocent childrens lives. However, on his deathbed, he has a full legitamate repentance, that leads to his salvation. Only by the grace of God is this man saved and goes to heaven as a result.
let's start here, it helps to understand that death (eternal separation from God/aka hell) are the consequences of sin, not the punishment. This is important to understand if you want to understand hell. Found in the book of Gen. we see that the consequence of sin, is death. I like to compare it to a child that is told not to run out into the street. The kid does and is hit by a car, did I sentence the child to the pain and most likely death that will incur by instructing them to not run into the street, or is the pain and likely death the result of thier disobedience, the consequence that comes from running out into the street? Man was warned, man didn't heed the warning and now, suffers the consequence of his sin. In fact, the punishment for our sin is pretty much so an accepted part of life that I have yet to hear anyone blame God for.
Me and a lot of others, find this to be very disturbing. Why would the God that we all love even have a hell,
hell is an interesting thing in which is best covered by seperating it for a time....hell according to scripture was created for the fallen angels, aka demons. It's intent was not for man, but for angels that were bent on leading man astray.
let alone send a good person to one?
If we understand both the consequences of sin and the purpose of hell, then we understand that God sends no one to hell, we send ourselves there so to speak. If we stop running into the street, we don't get hit kind of idea...
How would God even justify such a thing?
God doesn't need to justify anything, why would I as a parent have to justify that the kid ran into the street and got hit? Let's take our same kid, only this time, we have two kids, one usually obeys and is a real charmer, the other defiant and stubborn. The obedient charmer runs into the street and gets hit, the defiant stubborn sees the wisdom of the instruction and stays in the yard....which should be hurting because the car hit them? Of course it's the one who disobeyed and ran into the street. Just because you are usually good, or nice or kind, or charming doesn't change the consequences of our actions, when you run out into the street, expect to get hit. Doesn't change with your charm or goodness.
Some say that the Lord gives us free will, but in a world where God creates us knowing what we are going to do, how can we have free will if essentially the choice has already been made for us?
this is a general misconception of free will or at least God's knowledge. When we study the bible for what God knows we begin to get a picture of God's existance...let me explain...God is eternal, that basically means that He was in our past, in our present, in our future. The knowledge of God as described in the bible is more about being there than in knowing the future by some mystical ball. God is never described as some fortune teller, but rather a God who is...now I realize this is hard to understand, we try to put human ideas on a supernatural God so that we can grasp who He is, but that doesn't work very good. God is supernatural and as such we must try to comprehend what humans cannot, God is....

Now in understanding that God is, and not that HE knows everything per sae, free will suddenly begins to make some sense though I think most people miss free will as well. It really is an interesting study.
God already knows who will and won't accept him, so why would God even make people who would go to such a place as hell?
that is only if God is some fortunteller, if God is as the bible says, in the present, knowing things from the perspective of being there, then He dictates nothing.

And as far as hell is concerned, we're right back to consequences rather than punishment.
Well, the bible tells us that everyone will hear, that all have a witness, so the first question doesn't really fit from a biblical perspective. As to who or what that witness is, we have fellow humans, the bible, nature, and the Holy Spirit, ample witness. Not to mention history, science, etc.

As to eluding hell, belief in Jesus as the Christ is what is required scripture is pretty clear on that. Basically, what you need to understand is that the consequences of sin is death, but Jesus is standing there, watching, sees the child run into the street, and jumps in the way of the car. Jesus is our "fix" for sin, it's our way of making it as though it never happened. Jesus becomes our consequence as it were.
And assuming that God would justify hell, of course someone could accept it as truth, but they would accept out of fear, not reverence or love for the Lord, could anyone really love someone that could even create a place like hell?
now your asking personal questions and yes it is possible. With only a glimpse of God one could fall in Love with God. I did...I fell in love with God before I knew there was sin, hell, consequences, etc. I would serve Him even without heaven much less with hell. That is the thing, a Holy God is worthy of all we have, and when we understand the consequences are about us, not God, then we begin to glimpse the Holy God that is worthy.
Frankly, I would accept the word as truth, but knowing that there is a place like hell, would make me fearful, and I really can't conceive an all-loving God creating such a place. Better yet, I don't think my love for that God could be genuine.
what are you afraid of? Do you fear your parents for warning you to not run into the street? Do you fear your teachers who warned you about sexually transmitted diseases? Fear of God is a good thing, but only in that He is God, not because He loves you enough to warn you of the dangers you will face and show you how to be safe when they come.

-Googledotman
Hope that helps, I'm anxious for more questions.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
It's a bitter pill, but living like a saint will not get you saved ... believing in Jesus is the only way.

"burn in hell" was a description of what it would be like - is there gonna be real fire ... I guess we will have to findout oen day.
Lord said that there are those who do not know His name but hear and follow His voice.. and those are His.. When the Lord returns.. will this Jew recognise His voice and worship Him as His savior?.. then find out His name is Yeshua.. Yeah there is a prophecy for that very thing happening.

As to the vile who repent at death's doors, I believe God is going to have to determine the motive on that one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
The same applies to the Greek orthodox church. If one leads an honest life and is good to others then he will be saved. The other side of the pond seem to believe the opposite; that it matters not what one does; he will be eternally damned if he does not believe in Jesus. Although to many American sects; both Catholic and Orthodox are considered non Christian and not worthy of eternal happiness in paradise.:wave:

Well without Catholicism (and all of the super awesome corruption of the time), Protestantism would not have come into existence. Some Protestant denominations seem to have lost their sense of history and tradition. But that's another topic entirely.

This whole thing is a very large gray area. The application of Invincible Ignorance hinges heavily on what you define as "invincible ignorance." Technically invincible ignorance is a situation beyond someone's control, so this easily solves the whole "tribal guy on island is going to hell cause no one has ever visited him?" problem but it becomes more complicated when you investigate situations like the Jewish guy who has heard of Jesus but rejects him for whatever reason. In those instances it becomes a question of what exactly "beyond the person's control" means.

Upvote 0

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist

I know I'm not the OP, but still some points in your explanation of the Hell doctrine seem a bit weird to me:

- how many parents would see their kid playing on the middle of the road, and then go "oh well, I warned her", and let her be run over by a car, even when the parent is perfectly capable of snatching the kid from the street?

- who exactly build/drove the car in your analogy? Assuming that Hell is some kind of unpleasant state/place: why is it there? You (and many others..) claim that being sent to Hell is a 'natural' consequence of sin. As far as I know, God is the creator of reality and all the rules thereof. God created Hell, and God created the "unsaved sinners go to Hell" rule. Correct?

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know I'm not the OP, but still some points in your explanation of the Hell doctrine seem a bit weird to me:

- how many parents would see their kid playing on the middle of the road, and then go "oh well, I warned her", and let her be run over by a car, even when the parent is perfectly capable of snatching the kid from the street?
except that nothing I said suggested that the parents say "oh well, I warned her" in fact, when we look at Jesus, we see that the parent risks His very life to protect the child.
- who exactly build/drove the car in your analogy? Assuming that Hell is some kind of unpleasant state/place: why is it there? You (and many others..) claim that being sent to Hell is a 'natural' consequence of sin. As far as I know, God is the creator of reality and all the rules thereof. God created Hell, and God created the "unsaved sinners go to Hell" rule. Correct?
no, God created hell, for the fallen angels, demons, so in the analogies, the car exists not for the child to get hit, but for the person owning the car to get from point a to point b. As to the unsaved sinner going to hell, we go back to the consequences analogy, the rule is the consequence, not the punishment. There is no mention in the bible who "made" the rule, only that the consequence of sin is death....who made the rule that if you get hit by a car you will be injured and possibly die? The parent? are they the ones that made the rule? or is the rule simply the consequence of our actions, natural law so to speak?

Upvote 0

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist
except that nothing I said suggested that the parents say "oh well, I warned her" in fact, when we look at Jesus, we see that the parent risks His very life to protect the child.
Is God capable of preventing someone from going to Hell yes or no? If yes: the analogy stands. The "parent" is capable of saving the child, but doesn't for some reason.

..There is no mention in the bible who "made" the rule, only that the consequence of sin is death....who made the rule that if you get hit by a car you will be injured and possibly die? The parent? are they the ones that made the rule? or is the rule simply the consequence of our actions, natural law so to speak?

Cars killing kids are a function of the laws of physics. Laws of physics made by God by the way, but I won't blame Him for that (plenty of other good uses for physics..).

Are you claiming here that there exist "natural laws" that are not created by God?

Upvote 0

Veryangrymonk

Dec 12, 2008
Wisconson
✟7,654.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

-Googledotman

You got it backwards your trying to justify God by the law of man(what seams right to man). But what you really need to do is justify man through the law of God. Society deems sins to be greater or lesser in value. Society also thinks that adultery and little white lies are of no consequence. So how do we determine what is right and wrong? Do we use are own conscience? Go to prison and ask the prisoners there if they thought they where right in what they did. A small percent would see what they did as fault.So you are asking the question who deserves the Kingdom?Romans 5:12. So if everyone of us is deserving of hell, why do we(Christians) get to go to heaven. Simple because God chose to let us. When we sin we don't do it against man we do it against God!!!

For the first person you are trying to say he is a good man. But remember who defines a good Person? Keep this in mind Luke 12:48. There is no payer nothing you can do to make you deserve the kingdom of God. God chooses based on his good pleasure who he feels should go. So you better be pleasing to God. So i know I'm repeating my-self but just trying be clear.

So lets say, what your saying is true. "God Is Evil" because that essentially what your saying. I would say, Your point? God created everything there is he can take it all away in a second. So even if God is Evil we'll your just going to have to live with that. :) But since God defines what is good in the first place. he is Good. So where all very lucky.

So let me ask you a question. Do you deserve to go to heaven? Why or why not? If yes. What did you do, to deserve being born?

I'm glad you asked this question its series of questions that will lead you closer God but remember to look in the right place. The BIBLE...because I myself am a sinner and am flawed and being lied to. But the bible is perfect. remember when you find something in the bible that is flawed. your the one that is flawed and you must seek why.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

-Googledotman

Matthew 25. :wave:

Upvote 0
T

tanzanos

Lord said that there are those who do not know His name but hear and follow His voice.. and those are His.. When the Lord returns.. will this Jew recognise His voice and worship Him as His savior?.. then find out His name is Yeshua.. Yeah there is a prophecy for that very thing happening.

As to the vile who repent at death's doors, I believe God is going to have to determine the motive on that one.

Worship or be damned, FEAR the Lord; Good lord; this is borderline torture and harassment! And you call this a religion of love and peace?

How can one even contemplate that people like Gandhi are burning in hell because they did not follow Jesus and child molesters and child murderers are in heaven because they professed to follow Jesus?

Will someone please explain why we should kill disobedient children? Will someone please explain why Christians avoid following this command of God? Will someone please explain why the Bible literalists avoid enforcing God's commandments (most have to do with killing)?

This is Hypocrisy at its best!

Have a very nice day:wave:

Upvote 0

kotwebck

May 4, 2009
✟7,692.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Worship or be damned, FEAR the Lord; Good lord; this is borderline torture and harassment! And you call this a religion of love and peace?

How can one even contemplate that people like Gandhi are burning in hell because they did not follow Jesus and child molesters and child murderers are in heaven because they professed to follow Jesus?

I give a quick overview:

God created everything, including Angels and Humans, but one of these Angels decided he could take over, he then massed 1/3 of all the Angels behind him and tried.

Obviously he had no chance, I mean God created him too, so he tricked humans into his game (Adam & Eve story), him and all his Angels were cast from Heaven down to Earth. And God created Hell as an "prison" for him, but the satan decided that he's not going alone, that is were we come in ...

How do you hurt God when you know you have lost and is going to be locked-up forever ... well ... you try to take somehing he really loves a lot with you (that is us).

God then picked himself a nation here on Earth to follow him and try to convince all other nations to also join the cause ... well they did not do that and then God send his Son to pay the price of sin for us ... all we have to do is accept the act and thank him.

In short that Angel is still trying, cause he knows the time is short ...

God does not want anyone to go to hell with the satan (enemy), but he created us with a free will, we have to decide.

So you see it's got nothing to do with what you do or say, or if you are a good person or bad person (in a war even innocent childern get's hurt), it's got everything to do with that one choice you make.

That is the short of the story ... Hell is not for us ... but the satan will drag us in with him, as leverage. See it as a hostage situation ... and we are the hostages.

Love, yes that is the base of our religion, Peace? only when Jesus comes to finally carry out the sentence on the satan.

Upvote 0
T

tanzanos

I give a quick overview:

God created everything, including Angels and Humans, but one of these Angels decided he could take over, he then massed 1/3 of all the Angels behind him and tried.

Obviously he had no chance, I mean God created him too, so he tricked humans into his game (Adam & Eve story), him and all his Angels were cast from Heaven down to Earth. And God created Hell as an "prison" for him, but the satan decided that he's not going alone, that is were we come in ...

How do you hurt God when you know you have lost and is going to be locked-up forever ... well ... you try to take somehing he really loves a lot with you (that is us).Since God is omniscient and omnipotent; then he knew beforehand what the outcome will be, yet he went ahead and created Lucifer?

God then picked himself a nation here on Earth to follow him and try to convince all other nations to also join the cause ... well they did not do that and then God send his Son to pay the price of sin for us ... all we have to do is accept the act and thank him.

In short that Angel is still trying, cause he knows the time is short ...

God does not want anyone to go to hell with the satan (enemy), but he created us with a free will, we have to decide.

So you see it's got nothing to do with what you do or say, or if you are a good person or bad person (in a war even innocent childern get's hurt), it's got everything to do with that one choice you make.

That is the short of the story ... Hell is not for us ... but the satan will drag us in with him, as leverage. See it as a hostage situation ... and we are the hostages.

Love, yes that is the base of our religion, Peace? only when Jesus comes to finally carry out the sentence on the satan.

Really now. Are you telling me that Bronze age superstitions are to rule our society today? If you insist on adhering to God's laws then why don't you kill your children when they are disobedient?
If people were to adhere to the letter the commandments of God then we would not be better than the Talibans for they actually apply many of the Bibles commandments.
If you say that we don't kill children today then you are going against the wishes of God; for even Jesus himself admonished the Pharisees for not killing their disobedient children. Either the Bible is in its entirety to be followed or it should be discarded; otherwise each person will give his own interpretations and follow whatever suits him from the bible which is exactly what is happening with all the Christian sects.:wave:
Also why does God sit by and allow Satan to rule?
Have a nice day!:wave:

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic

Will someone please explain why we should kill disobedient children? Will someone please explain why Christians avoid following this command of God? Will someone please explain why the Bible literalists avoid enforcing God's commandments (most have to do with killing)?

This is Hypocrisy at its best!

Have a very nice day:wave:
I agree... but then that is why I believe and trust in Yeshua and not what man thinks and sees.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0