London
✟18,780.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am trying to become a better person and grow as a person and whenever I am feeling upset or useless I always turn to God. I have always felt since a very young age that I am not worthy of anything, I am not good at anything and I know the cliches that everyone is good at something, but I am not good at any particular thing and at best I am mediocre at things that people find normal and easy. It has been a rough few days and I feel as if the next few weeks are going to be rough, I am trying to maintain a positive attitude and read bible verses every night and sometimes throughout the day to make me feel better and strengthen my relationship with God. I just feel like Im a waste of space and I have nothing to offer to the world, but my question truly is, is why did God create me? Why did God create me when I have nothing to offer to the world, but depression and bad attitude. I want to be better and I want to grow as an individual, but I just cannot understand God's purpose for me when I feel as if I was just created to hurt those around me.

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I am trying to become a better person and grow as a person and whenever I am feeling upset or useless I always turn to God. I have always felt since a very young age that I am not worthy of anything, I am not good at anything and I know the cliches that everyone is good at something, but I am not good at any particular thing and at best I am mediocre at things that people find normal and easy. It has been a rough few days and I feel as if the next few weeks are going to be rough, I am trying to maintain a positive attitude and read bible verses every night and sometimes throughout the day to make me feel better and strengthen my relationship with God. I just feel like Im a waste of space and I have nothing to offer to the world, but my question truly is, is why did God create me? Why did God create me when I have nothing to offer to the world, but depression and bad attitude. I want to be better and I want to grow as an individual, but I just cannot understand God's purpose for me when I feel as if I was just created to hurt those around me.
God created you to love Him and enjoy Him forever. But no one comes to the Father except through Jesus Christ. You're potential is in Him. As He said to His disciples, "without Me you can do nothing." He died to be the propitiation for the sins of His people. Look to Him and live. Paul said, "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me."

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your purpose is to be God's child.
Zephaniah 3:17 For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs."

God is singing over you. Jesus considered you to be a Pearl of great price and He gave up all He had to save you.
focus on His love for you, let everything else take care of itself.

Upvote 0

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟203,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Who better to start, and then finish His work in you. And when you no longer feel the way you do(and this He will do) He will equip you to help those that feel the way you do now.This, you can not see now, but you will understand then. Keep moving closer to Him(seeking Him and His Word) and your relationship will be as One. Be Blessed in Jesus Holy name!

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
A couple of thoughts come to mind before I try to answer your question. First, Paul tells us to pray constantly, so when you say, ,"whenever I am feeling upset or useless I always turn to God," I wonder why you don't turn to him all the time. Then you say that you "read bible verses every night and sometimes throughout the day," but I think we all need to read the Bible all the way through. Have you done that?

To answer your question, perhaps the Lord created us because he likes to have company.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Why did God create me when I have nothing to offer to the world
I'm sure that is not true. It is rather that you are unaware of what you have to offer. It's a matter of finding what it might be.

God works in ways that are very much different than the ways of this fallen world. Paul gives us insight in 2Cor 12, when he relates how God spoke to him, "My grace is sufficient, for My power is perfected in weakness". Paul continues on to conclude, "therefore, I will rejoice in my weakness and afflictions... for when I am weak, then I am strong."

Those are amazing words, and full of hope. It means that when we find ourselves weak or disadvantaged, we can take recourse in God and become strong in grace.

A parallel to this is the spiritual practice of fasting, in which one voluntarily makes himself weak, in order to experience more of God and grow more in Him.

I'm not saying we shouldn't try to improve ourselves or our condition, for that, too, glorifies God. But when that is not currently possible, or as we are searching for the way to go about it, rather than stress out about our condition, which strengthens the feeling that we are alone in the problem and away from God, we would do far better to intentionally draw near to God in faith, and take joy that even in our weaknesses we are full recipients of His love and grace.

Paradoxically, it is in that state that our breakthrough usually begins, from the inside out.

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God created you/me/us in His image...who are you/we to condemn His work? As David declares in Psalm 139 - For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother's womb. I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well.

Allow that truth to sink in...take all thoughts captive that come to rob and steal the truth of God. When we perceive we lack, we are condemning ourselves...not God condemning you/us. HE has called us to walk in marvelous LOVE...to love our selves (and others) as HE has always loved us.

Why did God create me when I have nothing to offer to the world, but depression and bad attitude. I want to be better and I want to grow as an individual, but I just cannot understand God's purpose for me when I feel as if I was just created to hurt those around me.

God says to "Be still and know that I am God..." all the striving and struggling comes from our 'self' ...HIS kingdom has nothing to do with this world...Seek HIM with all your heart (the kingdom is within you) and you will find it/Him...and all HIS glory revealed with a coming to know as you have always been known by HIM...as son (no gender implied)...Perfect love casts out all fear...

Reactions: curiousgirl98
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You are very valuable, and your worth does not derive from what you can offer others. God's grace is free, it comes not based upon your ability. And there is a secret to that grace, well kind of, and it is this, the bible says "delight yourself in the LORD and he will grant you the desires of your heart". Your heart may be a little broken, but God will grant you the hidden inner desires that you have as you continue to faithfully trust and follow him. Remember the bible is God's promise, you can be confident God will meet your inner needs.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Question: "What is the purpose of man, according to the Bible?"

Answer:
The Bible makes it abundantly clear that God created man and that He created him for His glory (Isaiah 43:7). Therefore, the ultimate purpose of man, according to the Bible, is simply to glorify God.

A harder question to answer, perhaps, is what does it look like to glorify God? In Psalm 100:2–3, we’re told to worship God with gladness and “know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.” Part of what it looks like to glorify God is to acknowledge who God is (our Creator, for starters) and to praise and worship Him as such.

We fulfill our purpose of glorifying God also by living our lives in relationship and faithful service to Him (1 Samuel 12:24; John 17:4). Since God created man in His image (Genesis 1:26–27), man’s purpose cannot be fulfilled apart from Him. King Solomon tried living for his own pleasure, yet at the end of his life he concluded that the only worthwhile life is one of honor and obedience to God (Ecclesiastes 12:13–14).

In our fallen state, sin separates us from God and makes it impossible to glorify Him on our own. But through Jesus Christ’s sacrifice, our relationship with God is reconciled—our sin is forgiven and no longer creates a barrier between God and us (Romans 3:23–24).

Interestingly, we are able to glorify God because He gave us glory first. David writes in Psalm 8:4–6, “What is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them? You have made them a little lower than the angels and crowned them with glory and honor. You made them rulers over the works of your hands; you put everything under their feet.” (This is also repeated in Hebrews 2:6–8.) This verse reveals another purpose that God has given man: dominion over the earth (Genesis 1:28–29). Again, though, this can only be properly fulfilled through a right relationship with God.

The more we get to know our Creator and the more we love Him (Matthew 22:37–38), the better we understand who we are and what our purpose is. We were created to bring Him glory. God has unique plans and purposes for each person (Psalm 139:13–16), but we can know that, whatever those plans look like, they will ultimately result in His glory (Proverbs 3:6; 1 Corinthians 10:31).

www.gotquestions.org/purpose-of-man.html

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

I think the first thing that helped me, was understanding that I am to do what I should do, even if I don't feel like it. I'm never going to be one of those endlessly happy, smiles and unicorns forever, type people. I simply don't have that ability to be 24/7 happy bubbly goofy people.

So the first thing I had to do was accept that, and remember that I am to do what is right and good, even if I don't feel like it.

The second thing, was to figure out that yeah I can't do much. I'm not going to change the world. In fact, I can't even change one person. I can't make one person happy. Not even one.

What I can do, is do what is right by each person that I am able to.

I can't fix my co-workers lives. I can listen to them when they are having a hard time, and be a friend to them.

I can't be on call at all hours of the day, when someone needs something. But I can take some time to do what they need, when I do have time.

So you do what you can, to be a benefit to others.

As for your exact purpose, I don't know that everyone is given that answer. We are to love the Lord, and do what we can to follow the Bible. Some people have a grand calling, and others just live their lives as best they can.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God loves you just as you are. I used to think like you when I was young. Not anymore because now I realize that God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 1 Corinthians 1:27

Upvote 0

Drifter Kybe Scythe Kane

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2017
boston
✟50,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I think then now is the time to see what is the right stuff and what isn't in either passion or skills. Your first wave of answers I hope arrive momentarily or even in long time waits. Just keep this in mind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

curiousgirl98

Feb 19, 2018
London
✟18,780.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Who better to start, and then finish His work in you. And when you no longer feel the way you do(and this He will do) He will equip you to help those that feel the way you do now.This, you can not see now, but you will understand then. Keep moving closer to Him(seeking Him and His Word) and your relationship will be as One. Be Blessed in Jesus Holy name!
How long until I no longer feel this way? I was born and raised Christian and have been depressed since I was 13 years old and have always had negative thoughts. Im 19 now and struggle every single day with my mental health issues and praying and going to church for years hasn't really helped me feel better. I dont know how much longer I can live like this

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I dont know how much longer I can live like this
Have you talked with someone in your church about your problems?
I am not talking about a confessional,but actually sitting down with someone and having a conversation about it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
How long until I no longer feel this way? I was born and raised Christian and have been depressed since I was 13 years old and have always had negative thoughts. Im 19 now and struggle every single day with my mental health issues and praying and going to church for years hasn't really helped me feel better. I dont know how much longer I can live like this

If it was me, the first thing I would do is see a medical professional and discuss my problems with them. God works through them too.

• Agree
Upvote 0

curiousgirl98

Feb 19, 2018
London
✟18,780.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Have you talked with someone in your church about your problems?
I am not talking about a confessional,but actually sitting down with someone and having a conversation about it.
I moved to another country about a year ago and havent connected with the church here, my church is back home in the states. Which is why I decided to join christianforums so I can be apart of a community since I dont normally attend church at university. I havent spoken to many people about my problems, I dont know how I would say it, because I dont want to hurt those around me especially my parents. Its easier to get my frustrations and issues out through writing, but actual speaking? I dont think I have the courage.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I dont think I have the courage.
Joshua 1:9 Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
You should check out the story of Gideon in Judges 6.
Gideon was afraid. But, the Angel of the LORD said he was a mighty man of valor.
You have Christ in you, you have much more than Gideon ever could have. Colossians 1:27

Upvote 0

The Rowan

Lutheran (Pietist) Methodist (Moravian)
Mar 13, 2018
Northumbria
✟8,790.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Labour
I long felt like this. Various obstacles in my life have proven almost insurmountable for me at times; I have struggled to overcome them. I have been overwhelmed by the wretchedness of my self and the lack of confidence and worth that others around me seemed to possess.

But as life's path stretched out before me, I discovered my worth and I discovered my essence.

Context is an amazing leveller in this regard; hindsight is a wonderful thing. But looking back now, I can't believe how far I've come - though others may suppose I have very little, I'm now richer than I have ever been.

I can only offer you my sincerest wishes and prayers that you shall overcome this feeling and realise the sheer depth of your value and worth.

God bless.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟203,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Take all your burdens and lay them at the foot of The Cross. When we come to the end of ourselves, that is where He begins. If He is to be our Lord, or Lord over our life, we have to turn(surrender) every thing(and I mean everything) over to Him. That is what I meant by laying it down. The Bibles says that all who call upon The Name of The Lord will be saved. Jesus also says "Behold, I stand at the door and knock, if any one hears my voice and opens the door, then I will enter in and sup with him." There is no need that you should continue to suffer. Please take these words under consideration and the next time you pray pour it all out to Him. He is there and He will hear you!

Upvote 0