thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I glanced at the etymology of the term 'hell,' and noticed that it originally means 'to hide or cover.' Well, that's interesting since Sheol/Hades in Scripture means the same thing. It is in my understanding in the past that 'hell' in the King James Version conveyed the same meaning as 'Sheol,' so why do we equate it with 'Gehenna' that will arrive at the last day? How did we confuse the two things?

Hell is the abode of the dead in Old English, not the final destination of the wicked.

What are your thoughts on this?
There's a school of thought that says Hell is not a place of fiery torment. Rather, it's a state of eternal shame and separation from God. If God moves too close to the damned, the damned have to leave the area or seek some type of cover. The pain of their shame is permanent and eternal, the thinking goes. They cannot bear to be in God's presence but at the same time there is no place else to go.

So they have to cover.

I don't know what to think, m'self. I'm not expressing an opinion either way. All I know is I'm aiming for Heaven so that I'll never have to find out what damnation of any kind is like.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Hell is on the way to heaven

So keep your head up and keep on steppin

Keep taking all Yah's Breath in

And learn all your holy lessons

You'll make it to the top

And meet the Almighty Presence

Upvote 0

Charles Kanyuga

Aug 16, 2019
NAIROBI
✟19,132.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married
This is my take on hell.
I will take you to Psalm 49. The term of shoel is translated as grave. In the Hebrew traditions it is a place for the dead. Death leads to shoel.
In Revelation 20 Death and Hades go hand in hand. It says that the sea gave up the dead who were in it and death and hades delivered the dead who were in them. It tells you that Hell is a place where all who are dead dwell.
To explain a little bit on death we understand that Death is the wages of sin. Ezekiel 18 says that the soul that sins will surely die. So then with this understanding Hell/Hades is the place that holds up the soul that sins.
According to Jesus while speaking to the repentant thief on the cross, he told him that today you will be with me in paradise. Paul says that those who die in Christ sleep in Him 1 Thessalonians 4:13 -18. Jesus said the he will build a church that will not be prevailed over by the gates of hell/hades/shoel. So, in the confidence we have in Christ those who are his sleep but in paradise. and in the authority of the scriptures some of those I have quoted above those who sin are lead by Death to Hades.
Hades with Christ's understanding therefore is the place for the soul that sin for there they are rewarded with death.
On Gehenna, the term describes a valley where the kings of Judah would sacrifice their children through fire And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD. Leviticus 18: 21)(. Remember this practice was unlawful in the sight of God and those who did so were judged to die. Those who practice idolatry (from the NT interpretation of idolatry as taught by Jesus and the apostles) shall be destroyed in Gehenna.
According to Revelation 20 after the book of life is opened and the Dead are judged according to their works then firstly, Death and Hell will be thrown to the lake of fire. Following after death and Hades are those who are not in the book of life; of course by simple interpretation of this those who are not in the book of life must have received their wages which dead therefore God considers them dead and are thrown to the lake of fire which is the second death.
John in the epistle of John wrote that there is sin that leads to death. and Jesus said that the work of God is to believe in Christ (whom he sent). Looking at this tells us that unbelief is the work that leads to death and death to hell and hell to Gehenna it is the work that will have one not be found in the book of life. So, the cut-off point for those who die and those who live in Christ is the work of believe or unbelief.
So Hell from my understanding is the place of those who die in unbelief of Christ and awaits the Lake of fire (Gehenna); for unbelief is the same as idolatry .

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟720,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I glanced at the etymology of the term 'hell,' and noticed that it originally means 'to hide or cover.' Well, that's interesting since Sheol/Hades in Scripture means the same thing. It is in my understanding in the past that 'hell' in the King James Version conveyed the same meaning as 'Sheol,' so why do we equate it with 'Gehenna' that will arrive at the last day? How did we confuse the two things?

Hell is the abode of the dead in Old English, not the final destination of the wicked.

What are your thoughts on this?

There are different beliefs about Gehenna.

Gehenna - Wikipedia

however, regardless, biblically

Fire imagery is attributed primarily to Gehenna, which is most commonly mentioned as Gehenna the Fiery (Геенна огненная), and appears to be synonymous and symbolic to the Lake of Fire.

Hades/Sheol are words that describe those in their graves.

Upvote 0