Feb 5, 2005
✟5,541.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't get how people can find hell a product of a perfectly good God. Why does anyone believe it is moral to condemn someone for an eternity into a fiery pit of torment for their years on Earth (at most about 120 years). This seems so far from any sense of morality that I find it odd people still believe in a hell. Clear this up for me if you can.

Thanks,
Lucretius

4Him88

Feb 2, 2005
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
I've heard it explained like this:
God, giving us free will, will not force us to do anything that we do not want to do. In rejecting Him, we reject the free opprotunity of heaven that he offers. Thus, some choose to go to hell. God would that none be lost, but, sadly, some will reject him. This brings up the question of those who have never heard of Him, but this is an entirely different issue.

Upvote 0

Lucretius

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2005
✟5,541.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
4Him88 said:
I've heard it explained like this:
God, giving us free will, will not force us to do anything that we do not want to do. In rejecting Him, we reject the free opprotunity of heaven that he offers. Thus, some choose to go to hell. God would that none be lost, but, sadly, some will reject him. This brings up the question of those who have never heard of Him, but this is an entirely different issue.

Why would someone choose eternal torment? NO ONE would choose that. Why would someone willingly reject God when he offers eternal bliss? I know I wouldn't. I don't know of anyone in the history of man that would do so. Even if someone CHOSE it, should they be tortured for an eternity? I mean, there was only ONE Harrowing of Hell, so there is no hope of redemption.

You can't really CHOOSE to go to hell anyways… God made you, he made you with choices and the knowledge you would choose those choices and their consequences. If God made you, the choices you will make, and the knowledge you will make the choices, how are you free to choose? If you don't take the choice he knows you will take then you are doing something God didn't know you would do, and because God knows all, this is impossible. So you are condemned to hell from day 1.

For apenman…

Why worry about hell then if it is just another death? Do you just not exist anymore after you glimpse hell? What exactly do you believe hell is?

Upvote 0

4Him88

Feb 2, 2005
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
I don't now why someone would not choose God. As you stated, none would ouright choose to go to hell. However, when someone rejects God, they are essentially choosing this. Thus, when God sends them to hell, he may not give them what they want, but what they chose. In the same respect, if God sent someone to Heaven he would be forcing them to be in his presence for all eternity. (You referred to this as bliss). This is only bliss for those who choose to be there.

Also, just because God knows what we will choose does't mean he caused us to choose it. Should he not have made us, if we were only going to go to hell? If he did this, that is, God making a choice based on our future choice, he would be not be inhibitting free will? God did not create our choices, he allows us to choose. This is what free will is.

Upvote 0

Lovesherald

Veteran
Dec 21, 2004
✟9,050.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not saying this is an end all answer, because I am not God but I see it this way.

God has set a standard for those he created (everyone:) . Every person has fallen short of that standard (because we are human). God is a just God because he is perfect. So, if not for His mercy which we receive when we accept Jesus, God would be just in condemning us. That's where the notion of God being the potter and Christians the clay. He is God. He can do anything He wants, but He chooses to love us. That's one of the great things about God he is so merciful....compassionate...slow to anger. He didn't come to the world to condemn, but to redeem...aahh.... shouldn't have got me started ::tsk tsk::

But you have every right to reject what I say. It's what I believe.

Upvote 0

Lucretius

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2005
✟5,541.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Lovesherald said:
I'm not saying this is an end all answer, because I am not God but I see it this way.

God has set a standard for those he created (everyone:) . Every person has fallen short of that standard (because we are human). God is a just God because he is perfect. So, if not for His mercy which we receive when we accept Jesus, God would be just in condemning us. That's where the notion of God being the potter and Christians the clay. He is God. He can do anything He wants, but He chooses to love us. That's one of the great things about God he is so merciful....compassionate...slow to anger. He didn't come to the world to condemn, but to redeem...aahh.... shouldn't have got me started ::tsk tsk::

But you have every right to reject what I say. It's what I believe.

So, since I don't accept Jesus, it is just that God shall condemn me to the fiery pit of hell for eternity? Sounds about the furthest thing from moral I've ever heard. Slow to anger? He gives me logic that deduces that Jesus the man didn't even exist, and he expects me to accept the love of Jesus or be condemned? Still, sounds a LONG way from moral.

4Him88 said:
I don't now why someone would not choose God. As you stated, none would ouright choose to go to hell. However, when someone rejects God, they are essentially choosing this. Thus, when God sends them to hell, he may not give them what they want, but what they chose. In the same respect, if God sent someone to Heaven he would be forcing them to be in his presence for all eternity. (You referred to this as bliss). This is only bliss for those who choose to be there.

Also, just because God knows what we will choose does't mean he caused us to choose it. Should he not have made us, if we were only going to go to hell? If he did this, that is, God making a choice based on our future choice, he would be not be inhibitting free will? God did not create our choices, he allows us to choose. This is what free will is.

When someone dies and they find themselves somehow alive in spirit, they will know God exists; they would NOT reject him then. However, God finds it just to condemn the person because they didn't have this knowledge while on Earth because it was impossible to attain through anything but faith. God gives us logic, but then our logic happens to be the source of eterrnal damnation for a whole lot of us? Sounds perfectly moral.

How can God, who is everything, create something that can essentially "create" something seperate of God? If God doesn't make the choices, and God makes everything, then God is a paradox. Free will I can only reason to be possible without a God.

Upvote 0

4Him88

Feb 2, 2005
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Lucretius said:
When someone dies and they find themselves somehow alive in spirit, they will know God exists; they would NOT reject him then. However, God finds it just to condemn the person because they didn't have this knowledge while on Earth because it was impossible to attain through anything but faith. God gives us logic, but then our logic happens to be the source of eterrnal damnation for a whole lot of us? Sounds perfectly moral.

This goes back to the question of those who had never heard of God or Jesus. As I said before, I leave this in God's hands. For all I know, He may or may not send them to hell or heaven for eternity. This is for Him to decide.

Lucretius said:
How can God, who is everything, create something that can essentially "create" something seperate of God? If God doesn't make the choices, and God makes everything, then God is a paradox. Free will I can only reason to be possible without a God.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "God is everything." God is not everything. He is not everything in the physical sense, such as this keyboard I am typing on or the lamp next to me, nor is He, in the spiritual sense, evil.
Is this what you mean?
God does not make our choices for us either. Just as we, when we decide to have children, do not make the choices for our children, God does not make our choices for us. He allows us to choose our path in life, even if he knows that if may result in hell. This is analagous to us, when we choose to have children, know that they will not always make choices we want them to. Still, however, we choose to have children. Existence is always better than nonexistence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lucretius

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2005
✟5,541.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Lovesherald said:
Lucretius, what is your definition of morality?

Morality really has no definition; it was something that was formed after a while. For example, we find it immoral to kill eachother because our lives are still both lives, and no one has the right to take it away AND because human beings have found it prudent and beneficial to cooperate rather than compete.

Another example, is that, no matter how terrible a crime someone commits, ETERNITY is so far from a JUST punishment it is gross to even try to comprehend. Time heals all wounds. Eternity is going too far. If you don't believe in Jesus because the evidence is inconclusive, is it moral for a God to condemn you for eternity? God is pretty sick if he gives us logic to refute him, and then condemns us for eternity for using our logic.

Upvote 0

4Him88

Feb 2, 2005
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Lucretius said:
God is pretty sick if he gives us logic to refute him, and then condemns us for eternity for using our logic.

What logic to you refer to? I know some find academic arguements in this historicity of the bible or logic arguements against God. Are these what you refer to?

Upvote 0

Lovesherald

Veteran
Dec 21, 2004
✟9,050.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
God always wants us to choose Him. He gave us free will. What good would a bunch of automen be? It's not true love when you're forced to love someone. God gave us free will because he wants us to want Him. If you don't, then why would you want to be around Him (in Heaven)? But just like I said earlier...God is just that GOD. He's not human, limited in power. God can do anything He chooses. Who are we to judge God's decisions with our human thinking? His thoughts are higher than ours.

If you want to take it as a win lose situation....why would accepting Jesus be a bad decision? I don't care if you think He never existed. I'm asking, if you thought it was possible he did, and you decided to become a Christian, what would be bad about it?

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Lucretius said:
I don't get how people can find hell a product of a perfectly good God. Why does anyone believe it is moral to condemn someone for an eternity into a fiery pit of torment for their years on Earth (at most about 120 years). This seems so far from any sense of morality that I find it odd people still believe in a hell. Clear this up for me if you can.

Thanks,
Lucretius

Based on your comments, I would surmise that you believe that a truly loving God would not create people He knew would go to eternal punishment. The main problem with such an approach is that it is overly simplistic and based on emotionalism, not scripture. So, let's look at what the Word of God says.

First of all, when God made Adam, He made him good. Adam had the freedom to choose to obey or disobey God. Adam is the one who rebelled. God did not make him rebel and God is not responsible for Adam's rebellion. It would be like a parent having a child knowing that the child would eventually disobey the parent. Does this mean that the parent is responsible for the child's rebellion when it occurs because the parent knew it would happen? Of course not. Furthermore, if the parent has more children, does he/she not know that some children may very well turn out good and others bad? Should the parents then not have children because some of them might turn out bad? If you are consistent, you would have to urge parents not to have any children at all lest some of them turn out bad.

Could you believe in a God who would become a human, suffer at the hands of humans, and be killed by them, all so that His death could be the payment for their sins? That is extremely loving. God is saving people who deserve to go to hell -- and we all deserve that. Remember that the same God that sends people to hell also died for them. If they reject what God has provided then what is God left to do? He would have to judge them.

Whether you believe in something or not does not change the fact of its existence. Jesus spoke often of hell and warned us so we would not go there.

Concerning those that have never heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ, in Romans 2:11-16 it speaks about those who have never heard the Law of God and how they will be judged according to the law that is written in their hearts. The Law written in their hearts is the knowledge of right and wrong. Perhaps God's judgment of those without a proper knowledge of Him is included there where it says that they will be judged according to their own consciences that "bear witness, and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them."

The Bible says that God is a just God. We know that whatever He does is right. When it comes to those who have never heard the Gospel, He will do what is right, whatever that is. But as for you, you have heard the gospel and He will judge you according to how you respond. He is calling you to repentance, to turn from sin and come to Him. Which destination will you choose?

Upvote 0

Lucretius

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2005
✟5,541.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Lovesherald said:
God always wants us to choose Him. He gave us free will. What good would a bunch of automen be? It's not true love when you're forced to love someone. God gave us free will because he wants us to want Him. If you don't, then why would you want to be around Him (in Heaven)? But just like I said earlier...God is just that GOD. He's not human, limited in power. God can do anything He chooses. Who are we to judge God's decisions with our human thinking? His thoughts are higher than ours.

If you want to take it as a win lose situation....why would accepting Jesus be a bad decision? I don't care if you think He never existed. I'm asking, if you thought it was possible he did, and you decided to become a Christian, what would be bad about it?

If God always wants us to choose him, why does he make his presence impossible to decipher? He gave us free will (paradox of the Creator of all). What good would automen be? You aren't asking the right question. If you were an automan and we all were, you wouldn't care because we all were. Why should I love God? There is no, and can be no evidence that he exists. Humans value evidence — not the transcendentalist kind, the REAL kind. Forced love isn't the right term either. If I am going to get eternal love and rewards then actually existing and showing me that you exist in order to love —*I would love the **** out of him. However, no evidence, no belief, so I guess I get no love and go straight to hell. When I die, I rot in the ground, end of game. If somehow God did exist and I found out there was life after death, God would have already condemned me AFTER I could actually VERIFY the evidence. So, blind faith is worth more to God than actual evidence?

How can the Creator of all, create something that can create something that is totally free of him? A paradox.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lucretius

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2005
✟5,541.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
AvgJoe said:
Based on your comments, I would surmise that you believe that a truly loving God would not create people He knew would go to eternal punishment. The main problem with such an approach is that it is overly simplistic and based on emotionalism, not scripture. So, let's look at what the Word of God says.

What makes you believe it is the word of God besides just that… your belief… which is essentially an emotion of desire for it to be the Word of God. Your view is overly simplistic and based on emotionalism – not on fact that is indeed the word of God.

AvgJoe said:
Could you believe in a God who would become a human, suffer at the hands of humans, and be killed by them, all so that His death could be the payment for their sins? That is extremely loving. God is saving people who deserve to go to hell -- and we all deserve that. Remember that the same God that sends people to hell also died for them. If they reject what God has provided then what is God left to do? He would have to judge them.

Whether you believe in something or not does not change the fact of its existence. Jesus spoke often of hell and warned us so we would not go there.

Jesus is an unverifiable character who supposedly lived. The evidence of his existence is inconclusive, so I don't assume he even existed. Again, your talk about God being made flesh is pure belief. Not fact. You didn't even use reasoning when you stated those things. I am using reasoning to deduce the impossibility of a moral God when it comes to eternal punishment.

AvgJoe said:
Concerning those that have never heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ, in Romans 2:11-16 it speaks about those who have never heard the Law of God and how they will be judged according to the law that is written in their hearts. The Law written in their hearts is the knowledge of right and wrong. Perhaps God's judgment of those without a proper knowledge of Him is included there where it says that they will be judged according to their own consciences that "bear witness, and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them."

The Bible says that God is a just God. We know that whatever He does is right. When it comes to those who have never heard the Gospel, He will do what is right, whatever that is. But as for you, you have heard the gospel and He will judge you according to how you respond. He is calling you to repentance, to turn from sin and come to Him. Which destination will you choose?

Your whole post is a circular one. We should believe what God supposedly says because a religious book says so. This book has no empircal basis and accepting it is done on pure fatih (belief without proof.)

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Lucretius said:
Jesus is an unverifiable character who supposedly lived. The evidence of his existence is inconclusive, so I don't assume he even existed. Again, your talk about God being made flesh is pure belief. Not fact. You didn't even use reasoning when you stated those things. I am using reasoning to deduce the impossibility of a moral God when it comes to eternal punishment.

There is also some independent, non-biblical evidence of Jesus from the Roman historian Tacitus, Pliny the Younger, the Roman governor of Bithynia in Asia Minor, the Jewish historian Josephus, Lucian of Samosata and from a collection of Jewish rabbinical writings, the Babylonian Talmud.

Lucretius said:
What makes you believe it is the word of God besides just that… your belief… which is essentially an emotion of desire for it to be the Word of God. Your view is overly simplistic and based on emotionalism – not on fact that is indeed the word of God.

Your whole post is a circular one. We should believe what God supposedly says because a religious book says so. This book has no empircal basis and accepting it is done on pure fatih (belief without proof.)

I beg to differ. Lets take a look at some of the truthes of the Bible.

Man Made From Dirt
Genesis 2:7(KJV)
"And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

God named this man Adam. The Hebrew word Adam means "red dirt" or "ruddy" and rightfully so, because Adam was made from red clay.

Job 10:9(KJV)
Remember, I beseech thee, that thou hast made me as the clay; and wilt thou bring me into dust again?

So God created us out of the dust of the earth. A year 2000 (I think) Newsweek magazine article titled, "Life From Clay?," said the following:

"As if the Biblical tale of man's creation from "the dust of the ground" were haunting their unconscious minds, NASA chemists have presented evidence that life on earth may have gotten its start in clay." Says NASA's Lelia Coyne, "the ability of clays to store energy, catalyze reactions and perhaps self-replicate -- all attributes of living systems -- is forcing us to re-examine at a very fundamental level the definition of life."

Round Earth
God said, approximately 2,000 years before Christopher Columbus, before ships had ventured beyond the line of danger, before a satellite had ever captured a picture of the Earth, that the Earth is round.

Isaiah 40:21-22(KJV)
21) Have ye not known? have ye not heard? hath it not been told you from the beginning? have ye not understood from the foundations of the earth?
22) It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Things were different then. Prevailing wisdom was that the world was flat and if you ventured past the line of danger you would fall off the end of the earth.

Five hundred years ago Columbus penned a book titled Libro de las Profecias which in English means Book of Prophecies, and just in the 1990's has it become possible to consider its content in English. In Kay Bringham's book titled Christopher Columbus—His Life and Discovery in the Light of His Prophecies, the following quote from Columbus is noted:

"At this time I have seen and put in study to look into all the Scriptures, cosmography, histories, chronicles and philosophy and other arts, which our Lord opened to my understanding (I could sense His hand upon me), so that it became clear to me that it was feasible to navigate from here to the Indies; and He unlocked within me the determination to execute the idea. And I came to your Highnesses with this ardor. All those who heard about my enterprise rejected it with laughter, scoffing at me. Neither the sciences which I mentioned above, nor the authoritative citations from them, were of any avail. In only your Highnesses remained faith and constancy. Who doubts that this illumination was from the Holy Spirit? I attest that He (the Spirit), with marvelous rays of light, consoled me through the holy and sacred Scriptures...encouraging me to proceed, and, continually, without ceasing for a moment, they inflame me with a sense of great urgency....

I am the worst of sinners. The pity and mercy of our Lord have completely covered me whenever I have called (on Him) for them. I have found the sweetest consolation in casting away all my anxiety, so as to contemplate His marvelous presence.

I have already said that for the execution of the enterprise of the Indies, neither reason, nor mathematics, nor world maps were profitable to me; rather the prophecy of Isaiah was completely fulfilled."

Christopher Columbus said natural reason was not his inspiration...It was neither maps nor mathematics nor the encouragement of men but God's prophecies in the book of Isaiah and one of those prophecies is that God sits upon the circle of the earth.

Created Out Of Nothing
Thousands of years ago God said that He created the earth and the inhabitants thereof out of that which is invisible.

Romans 1:19-20(KJV)
19) Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shown it unto them.
20) For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Hebrews 11:3(KJV)
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Science is now coming to the conclusion that all things are actually created out of the invisible, which they call "nothing." In an article in Scientific American titled "The Inflationary Universe," the following statement was written:

From a historical point of view probably the most revolutionary aspect of the inflationary model is the notion that all matter and energy in the observable universe may have emerged from almost nothing.

The inflationary model of the universe provides a possible mechanism by which the observed universe could have evolved from an infinitesimal region. It is then tempting to go one step further and speculate that the entire universe evolved from literally nothing.

(Guth, Alan H., and Paul Steinhardt, "The Inflationary Universe," Scientific American, Vol. 250, May 1984)

Don't Eat Swine(Pig)
God calls the swine unclean.

Leviticus 11:7-8(KJV)
7) And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you.
8) Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you.

In the Old Testament an unclean person was one who had touched the dead, had a running issue, or oozing sore or was a menstrous woman, etc. The term "uncleanness" means one is in a contagious situation. Those contaminated were quarantined. The swine is called unclean, which means it is contagious and will bring harm to those who eat its flesh or touch its carcass.

Dr. David Macht of Johns Hopkins University reported on the toxicity levels of the flesh of animals and seagoing creatures. In Dr. Macht's research, all unclean creatures measured toxic with the pig ranking extremely toxic at about the same level as the rat and groundhog. In regard to the human body's metabolism, it is ill-equipped to handle unclean meats. Unclean meats digest in only three hours while clean meats that God commanded us to eat digest in up to 18 hours. (1953 Report, Dr. David Macht, Johns Hopkins Univ)

In a 1988 report, E. A. Widmer, Ph. D., professor and program director of environmental health, School of Public Health, Loma Linda University, had this to say in the following excerpt:

Pork consumption in now associated with coronary heart disease, cancer and certain communicable diseases. Pigs are noteworthy as hosts for the intestinal trichina roundworm, trichinella spiralis, which causes the disease trichinosis, a disease with symptoms that doctors often attribute to intestinal flu, pneumonia, or rheumatism.

(1998, E. A. Widmer, pH D., professor and program director of environmental health, School of Public Health, Loma Linda Univ., "Flesh of Swine: Scientific Evidence Supports The Biblical Prohibition.") Note: I'm not sure which date is correct, 1988 or 1998.

God's Word is our owner's manual. The supernatural instructions were given in the very beginning of time, thousands of years ago, long before their phenomenal wisdom was discovered by modern science. Only the wise Designer-Creator could ever have known the benefits of his dietary commandments. Just one more proof that God is and that he is a rewarder of those who diligently seek him. (Hebrews 11:6)

DNA, God's Holy Book
Imagine, thousands of years before science discovers something, the God who created it, described it in His Word. DNA has its general description recorded in Psalms 139:14-17(KJV):

14) I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
15) My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16) Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
17) How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!

Your DNA molecule is a 3.3 billion-letter book, equivalent to 900 Bibles. God's word states, "...and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them." Every phenomenal instruction for the construction of your body, starting from a single invisible fertilized egg, is recorded in the DNA strand and that's before any of your body's members existed. They were all recorded in God's book.

Hung Upon Nothing
God said, approximately 5,000 years ago, long before geography, long before Christopher Columbus, long before aviation and space shots, that the world is hung in the middle of space upon nothing. Today you might shrug your shoulders and say, "Who didn't know that?" The answer to that question is the whole world didn't know. The Bible records in Job 26:7(KJV):

He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.

God's Word declares that the earth is floating in space.

Before Christopher Columbus proved the world to be round, the prevailing wisdom of the day was that the world was flat. A few other voices in the wilderness had suggested the earth's roundness, but it was Columbus who established it. Ancient civilizations, besides being ignorant of the earth's shape, also claimed something or someone was holding it up. The Greeks said that Atlas was forced, as a form of punishment, to carry the earth, the heavens and the great pillar that separates them on his shoulders. India claimed that the earth was held up by four elephants that stood on the back of a giant turtle which in turn was balanced on a cobra snake. In ancient Siberia it was taught that the earth rests on a dogsled driven by a god. Unfortunately the dog had fleas. When the dog stopped to scratch the result was an earthquake. According to West African antiquities the earth is a flat disc. One side of the disc rests on a mountain and the other side is held up by a giant. Mongolia said the gods who made the earth set it on the back of a huge frog. One final example is ancient Central America's account of the square earth. Four gods were reported to hold up the earth...one at each corner.

Long before any man knew, God declared the secret in His Word.

Look into these truthes of the Bible, that were written 1,000s of years before man discovered them. This is just a sampling of the proven truthes of the Bible. There are many more.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Lucretius said:
This book has no empircal basis and accepting it is done on pure fatih (belief without proof.)

Another proof to the validity of the Word of God is fulfilled prophecy. Click on the following link and take a look at some fulfilled prophecies that could not have come from none other than God Himself:

http://www.sotl.org/public/proofs.htm

Take some time and verify them for yourself.

Upvote 0

Lucretius

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2005
✟5,541.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
AvgJoe said:
There is also some independent, non-biblical evidence of Jesus from the Roman historian Tacitus, Pliny the Younger, the Roman governor of Bithynia in Asia Minor, the Jewish historian Josephus, Lucian of Samosata and from a collection of Jewish rabbinical writings, the Babylonian Talmud.

Aforementioned Non-Christian Sources

Roman historian Tacitus supposedly wrote (in his Annals) "…derived their name and origin from Christ, who, in the reign of Tiberius, had suffered death by the sentence of the procurator Pontius Pilate" 1. Pontius Pilate was not a procurator, he was a prefect. He governed a small Roman province in Judea. 2. He calls Jesus "Christos",which is something Roman records would not do. The question of Tacitus' accuracy is whether or not he was merely parroting what he had heard from Christians in the age.
Pontius Pilate Information

On Pliny; I see no evidence any of his letters to Trajan mentioned Jesus. He merely says Christ. I believe Christ was a kind of embodiment of the Christian religion; like Big Brother was of Oceania in the book 1984 He denounced Christianity in his Epistulae. But I see no reason to believe he was referring to a historical character when he does not even give the name Jesus. Letters to Trajan

On Josephus; he referred to Jesus as "the Messiah" though he himself was non-Christian. It is believed the lines in his Testionium were merely later additions by Christians in an attempt to prove the historicity of their "Messiah." Josephus

Lucian, the satirist wrote this line: "The Christians . . . worship a man to this day--the distinguished personage who introduced their novel rites, and was crucified on that account. . . . [It] was impressed on them by their original lawgiver that they are all brothers, from the moment that they are converted, and deny the gods of Greece, and worship the crucified sage, and live after his laws." I do not see Jesus mentioned there once. Seems implicit though? We must remember Lucian was a satirist, not a historian. His historical accuracy is greatly compromised because it is not obvious whether he was telling the truth, or merely jesting at preconcieved notions of Christians, as pagans often did.
Lucian
Lucian Again! More Lucian!

The Thalmud and the rabbical writings I may delve into when I have had the time to research both of them. Any specific writings you can refer me to?

END OF PART 1 (The post is too long!)

Upvote 0

Lucretius

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2005
✟5,541.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
AvgJoe said:
I beg to differ. Lets take a look at some of the truthes of the Bible.

Man Made From Dirt
Genesis 2:7(KJV)
"And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

Postdiction. Besides, early Roman texts refer to the true meaning of a soul. I am currently reading the 4th book of [/i]On the Nature of Things[/i] by Titus Lucretius Carus. Lucretius makes it implicit that the soul is nothing more than a way for sense to be felt, because they couldn't describe it anyway else. It was what animated the body. The passage you quoted seems to talk about abiogenesis…but somehow it was found to be necessary to attribute a supernatural being to it. However, it is possible to get organic from inorganic. Miller-Urey

AvgJoe said:
God named this man Adam. The Hebrew word Adam means "red dirt" or "ruddy" and rightfully so, because Adam was made from red clay.
This doesn't prove anything correct.

AvgJoe said:
Job 10:9(KJV)
Remember, I beseech thee, that thou hast made me as the clay; and wilt thou bring me into dust again?

So God created us out of the dust of the earth. A year 2000 (I think) Newsweek magazine article titled, "Life From Clay?," said the following:

"As if the Biblical tale of man's creation from "the dust of the ground" were haunting their unconscious minds, NASA chemists have presented evidence that life on earth may have gotten its start in clay." Says NASA's Lelia Coyne, "the ability of clays to store energy, catalyze reactions and perhaps self-replicate -- all attributes of living systems -- is forcing us to re-examine at a very fundamental level the definition of life."

This is just one theory. It is believed that clay crystals somehow started the process of life from non-life. I've heard other theories, including one about organization occuring from hydrolysis. Besides, the statement, as the one before, is pure postdiction.

AvgJoe said:
Round Earth
God said, approximately 2,000 years before Christopher Columbus, before ships had ventured beyond the line of danger, before a satellite had ever captured a picture of the Earth, that the Earth is round.

Isaiah 40:21-22(KJV)
21) Have ye not known? have ye not heard? hath it not been told you from the beginning? have ye not understood from the foundations of the earth?
22) It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in: Things were different then. Prevailing wisdom was that the world was flat and if you ventured past the line of danger you would fall off the end of the earth.

The world is not a circle; it is a sphere. A circle is flat. The Earth was deemed flat. The two concepts do not contradict eachother.

AvgJoe said:
Five hundred years ago Columbus penned a book titled Libro de las Profecias which in English means Book of Prophecies, and just in the 1990's has it become possible to consider its content in English. In Kay Bringham's book titled Christopher Columbus—His Life and Discovery in the Light of His Prophecies, the following quote from Columbus is noted:

"At this time I have seen and put in study to look into all the Scriptures, cosmography, histories, chronicles and philosophy and other arts, which our Lord opened to my understanding (I could sense His hand upon me), so that it became clear to me that it was feasible to navigate from here to the Indies; and He unlocked within me the determination to execute the idea. And I came to your Highnesses with this ardor. All those who heard about my enterprise rejected it with laughter, scoffing at me. Neither the sciences which I mentioned above, nor the authoritative citations from them, were of any avail. In only your Highnesses remained faith and constancy. Who doubts that this illumination was from the Holy Spirit? I attest that He (the Spirit), with marvelous rays of light, consoled me through the holy and sacred Scriptures...encouraging me to proceed, and, continually, without ceasing for a moment, they inflame me with a sense of great urgency....

So…?

AvgJoe said:
I am the worst of sinners. The pity and mercy of our Lord have completely covered me whenever I have called (on Him) for them. I have found the sweetest consolation in casting away all my anxiety, so as to contemplate His marvelous presence.

I have already said that for the execution of the enterprise of the Indies, neither reason, nor mathematics, nor world maps were profitable to me; rather the prophecy of Isaiah was completely fulfilled."

Christopher Columbus said natural reason was not his inspiration...It was neither maps nor mathematics nor the encouragement of men but God's prophecies in the book of Isaiah and one of those prophecies is that God sits upon the circle of the earth.

Still doesn't prove the truth in the scriptures...people felt compelled to burn witches back then too, does that mean the scriptures promoted witch-burnings?

AvgJoe said:
Created Out Of Nothing
Thousands of years ago God said that He created the earth and the inhabitants thereof out of that which is invisible.

Romans 1:19-20(KJV)
19) Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shown it unto them.
20) For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Hebrews 11:3(KJV)
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Science is now coming to the conclusion that all things are actually created out of the invisible, which they call "nothing." In an article in Scientific American titled "The Inflationary Universe," the following statement was written:

From a historical point of view probably the most revolutionary aspect of the inflationary model is the notion that all matter and energy in the observable universe may have emerged from almost nothing.

The inflationary model of the universe provides a possible mechanism by which the observed universe could have evolved from an infinitesimal region. It is then tempting to go one step further and speculate that the entire universe evolved from literally nothing.

(Guth, Alan H., and Paul Steinhardt, "The Inflationary Universe," Scientific American, Vol. 250, May 1984)

So if the Universe was made from nothing, how does God fit in? I don't even believe in ex nihilo. Refer to Oscillatory Universe

AvgJoe said:

Don't Eat Swine(Pig)
God calls the swine unclean.

Leviticus 11:7-8(KJV)
7) And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you.
8) Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you.

In the Old Testament an unclean person was one who had touched the dead, had a running issue, or oozing sore or was a menstrous woman, etc. The term "uncleanness" means one is in a contagious situation. Those contaminated were quarantined. The swine is called unclean, which means it is contagious and will bring harm to those who eat its flesh or touch its carcass.

Dr. David Macht of Johns Hopkins University reported on the toxicity levels of the flesh of animals and seagoing creatures. In Dr. Macht's research, all unclean creatures measured toxic with the pig ranking extremely toxic at about the same level as the rat and groundhog. In regard to the human body's metabolism, it is ill-equipped to handle unclean meats. Unclean meats digest in only three hours while clean meats that God commanded us to eat digest in up to 18 hours. (1953 Report, Dr. David Macht, Johns Hopkins Univ)

In a 1988 report, E. A. Widmer, Ph. D., professor and program director of environmental health, School of Public Health, Loma Linda University, had this to say in the following excerpt:

Pork consumption in now associated with coronary heart disease, cancer and certain communicable diseases. Pigs are noteworthy as hosts for the intestinal trichina roundworm, trichinella spiralis, which causes the disease trichinosis, a disease with symptoms that doctors often attribute to intestinal flu, pneumonia, or rheumatism.

(1998, E. A. Widmer, pH D., professor and program director of environmental health, School of Public Health, Loma Linda Univ., "Flesh of Swine: Scientific Evidence Supports The Biblical Prohibition.") Note: I'm not sure which date is correct, 1988 or 1998.

Pigs roll in mud. They are unclean. Quite a revelation. I eat pork, so far, I am not suffering from coronary heart disease, or any disease for that matter.

AvgJoe said:
God's Word is our owner's manual. The supernatural instructions were given in the very beginning of time, thousands of years ago, long before their phenomenal wisdom was discovered by modern science. Only the wise Designer-Creator could ever have known the benefits of his dietary commandments. Just one more proof that God is and that he is a rewarder of those who diligently seek him. (Hebrews 11:6)

Actually, no proof at all. Pure postdiction. Besides, no natural evidence can ever prove the existence of the supernatural.

AvgJoe said:
DNA, God's Holy Book
Imagine, thousands of years before science discovers something, the God who created it, described it in His Word. DNA has its general description recorded in Psalms 139:14-17(KJV):

14) I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
15) My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16) Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
17) How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!

This says nothing about DNA

AvgJoe said:
Your DNA molecule is a 3.3 billion-letter book, equivalent to 900 Bibles. God's word states, "...and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them." Every phenomenal instruction for the construction of your body, starting from a single invisible fertilized egg, is recorded in the DNA strand and that's before any of your body's members existed. They were all recorded in God's book.

This is the worst postdiction I've ever heard.

AvgJoe said:
Hung Upon Nothing
God said, approximately 5,000 years ago, long before geography, long before Christopher Columbus, long before aviation and space shots, that the world is hung in the middle of space upon nothing. Today you might shrug your shoulders and say, "Who didn't know that?" The answer to that question is the whole world didn't know. The Bible records in Job 26:7(KJV):

He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.

God's Word declares that the earth is floating in space.

Actually the Earth isn't hanging in the middle of space. It is just in space. Why does God not talk about the gravitational pull of the sun? We don't just float, we revolve around the sun.

AvgJoe said:
Before Christopher Columbus proved the world to be round, the prevailing wisdom of the day was that the world was flat. A few other voices in the wilderness had suggested the earth's roundness, but it was Columbus who established it. Ancient civilizations, besides being ignorant of the earth's shape, also claimed something or someone was holding it up. The Greeks said that Atlas was forced, as a form of punishment, to carry the earth, the heavens and the great pillar that separates them on his shoulders. India claimed that the earth was held up by four elephants that stood on the back of a giant turtle which in turn was balanced on a cobra snake. In ancient Siberia it was taught that the earth rests on a dogsled driven by a god. Unfortunately the dog had fleas. When the dog stopped to scratch the result was an earthquake. According to West African antiquities the earth is a flat disc. One side of the disc rests on a mountain and the other side is held up by a giant. Mongolia said the gods who made the earth set it on the back of a huge frog. One final example is ancient Central America's account of the square earth. Four gods were reported to hold up the earth...one at each corner.

Long before any man knew, God declared the secret in His Word.

Look into these truthes of the Bible, that were written 1,000s of years before man discovered them. This is just a sampling of the proven truthes of the Bible. There are many more.

Circle = Flat. Sphere = Round.

Not very convinced of many truths in the Bible. No revelation for sure. Postdiction is easy.

END OF PART 2

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.