Hebrews Sabbath rest, how do you read it?

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hebrews is citing tons of OT, especially Hebrews 8, which is directly citing Jeremiah 31:31-34, in Hebrews 8:8-13.

I would desire that you specifically define what you mean when you say, OC (old covenant).

The "old covenant" is not the whole OT (Genesis to Malachi). The "old covenant" is not even the Torah (Genesis to Deuteronomy or even with Joshua if preferred).

The "old covenant" is explicitly found in Exodus 19:8, and mentioned in Hebrews 8:6-9 ("promises", "fault", "them"), not the Ten Commandments (which are perfect promises of God without any fault), but rather the peoples promises to do "all" that the Lord asked them to do. They entered into covenant with God by agreement in Exodus 19.

The Ten Commandments are God's "my covenant", but are not the "old covenant" as per Romans 3:31; Jeremiah 31:33, etc.

There are many "covenants" in scripture, and people get them confused to their own hurt or destruction because they do not take the time to read carefully.
What do you do with Deut 4:13 And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.

God spoke those commandments to Israel in Ex 20.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is not what God's WORD says. God's 4th Commandment of the 10 commandments that give us the KNOWLEDGE of what sin is *ROMANS 3:20

EXODUS 20:8-11
[8], Remember the SABBATH DAY, to KEEP IT HOLY. <Why?> Because God made it Holy for mankind and commands us to keep it as a Holy day)
[9], Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work:
[10], But the SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: <WHY>
[11], For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the SEVENTH DAY: wherefore the LORD BLESSED THE SABBATH, and HALLOWED IT.

KNOWINGLY breaking any one of the 10 commandments is sin in God's eyes *JAMES 2:10-11.
Ok thank you.

• Friendly
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The NEW COVENANT is not like the OLD COVENANT. We no longer do animal sacrifices and the shadow laws from the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT *EXODUS 24:7 that pointed to JESUS and God's plan of salvation in the NEW are fulfilled in Christ and his mimistration as our great sacrifice and high Priest who ministers on our behalf in the Heavenly Sanctuary made without hande.

You mix up the shadow laws from that MOSAIC book of the covenant *EXODUS 24:7 brother with God's eternal law that give us the KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL; SIN and RIGHTEOUSNESS *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4; PSALMS 119:172 that show us we are all sinners and lead us to Christ that we might be forgiven by faith *GALATIANS 3:22-25 to be free from our sins to walk in his Spirit *GALATIANS 5:16.

SIN is the breaking of God's Commandments (James 2:9-11; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4) Those who CONTINUE in UNREPENTANT SIN will NOT enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN.

God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has led many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to KEEP Sunday as a Holy day.

Who should we follow the teachings and traditions of men or the Word of God? Who should we believe the Words of men or the Word of God?

In times of ignorance God winks at but now ,<when a KNOWLEDGE of the truth has come> calls all men everywhere to REPENT (FOLLOW) (Acts 17:30-31).

Yep many are going to be dissappointed come judgment day.
Need only one single verse here -

John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

My enforcer verse is -

1 John 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is not what God's WORD says. God's 4th Commandment of the 10 commandments that give us the KNOWLEDGE of what sin is *ROMANS 3:20

EXODUS 20:8-11
[8], Remember the SABBATH DAY, to KEEP IT HOLY. <Why?> Because God made it Holy for mankind and commands us to keep it as a Holy day)
[9], Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work:
[10], But the SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: <WHY>
[11], For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the SEVENTH DAY: wherefore the LORD BLESSED THE SABBATH, and HALLOWED IT.

KNOWINGLY breaking any one of the 10 commandments is sin in God's eyes *JAMES 2:10-11.
God's Word says -

Romans 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What do you do with Deut 4:13 And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.

God spoke those commandments to Israel in Ex 20.

What do you mean what do you do with it? The 10 Commandments are a part of both the OLD and NEW COVENANTS that show us what sin is ROMANS 7:7. It is the shadow laws from the MOSAIC BOOK of the Covenant * EXODUS 24:7 that are fulfilled in Christ (No more animal sacrifices, new priesthood and God's laws written on the heart by faith to LOVE).

You mix up the Shadow laws from the BOOK of the COVENANT with God's eternal law that give us the KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL; SIN and RIGHTEOUSNESS *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4; PSALMS 119:172 that show us we are all sinners and lead us to Christ that we might be forgiven by faith *GALATIANS 3:22-25 to be free from our sins to walk in his Spirit *GALATIANS 5:16.

BEFORE we come to Christ God's law is written on stone and teaches us that the wages of sin is death. When we have faith they are written in the heart through LOVE and LOVE is the fulfilling of God's LAW in all those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD by walking in his Spirit *ROMANS 13:8-10; ROMANS 8:1-4; GALATIANS 5:16.

SIN is the breaking of God's Commandments (James 2:9-11; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4) Those who CONTINUE in UNREPENTANT SIN will NOT enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
God's Word says -

Romans 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Indeed we have been delivered from the condemnation of the law.

ROMANS 8:1-4
[1], There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
[2], For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.
[3], For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
[4], That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Need only one single verse here -

John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

My enforcer verse is -

1 John 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

How can you be keeping God's Commandments by breaking them? *JOHN 14:15
How can you love your neighbore by killing him or committing adultery? *JAMES 2:8-12?

Jesus says you cannot separate LOVE from OBEDIENCE to God's LAW

MATTHEW 22:36-40
[36] Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
[37], Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
[38], This is the first and great commandment.
[39], And the second is like to it, You shall love your neighbour as yourself.
[40], ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS HANG ALL THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS.

When we LOVE GOD and our NEIGHBOUR it is expressed through our actions.

If we LOVE our neighbor...

* We will honor our parents, - EXODUS 20:12
* We will not kill them EXODUS 20:13
* We will not commit adultery with thier spouse - EXODUS 20:14
* We will not steal from them - EXODUS 20:15
* We will not lie to them - EXODUS 20:16
* We will not covet what they own - EXODUS 20:17

If we LOVE our God...

* We will not have other Gods - EXODUS 20:3
* We will not make idols and worship them - EXODUS 20:4-5
* We will not take his name [follow] him in vain - EXODUS 20:7
* We will remember his Sabbath and keep it holy - EXODUS 20:8-11

ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS [OF LOVE] HANG ALL THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS *MATTHEW 22:36-40.

PAUL says it this way...

ROMANS 13:8-10
[8], Owe no man anything, but to love one another: for he that loves another has fulfilled the law. [9], For this, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not kill, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, You shall not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, namely, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. [10], Love works no ill to his neighbor: therefore, love is the fulfilling [DOING] of the law.

Notice what PAUL says here? LOVE is fulfilling [doing] God's Commandments. God's Commandments or duty towards your neighbor is summed up as you shall LOVE your neighbor as yourself v9. [On these two commandments hang ALL THE LAW and the prophets Matthew 22:40].

and again here...

ROMANS 3:31 [31], Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yes, we establish the law.

PAUL agrees with Jesus that if you LOVE you will fulfill God's LAW. What about JAMES?

JAMES 2:8-12
[8] If you fulfill the royal law according to the scripture, You shall love your neighbor as yourself, you do well: [9], But if you have respect to persons, you commit sin, and are convicted of the law as transgressors. [10], For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. [11], For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if you commit no adultery, yet you kill, you are become a transgressor of the law. [12], So speak, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

James is using the second great commandment of LOVE which hangs all the commandments of our duty of love to our neighbour and quotes the commandments showing our duty towards our neighbor. This is why Jesus says “On these two commandments hang ALL THE LAW and the prophets” Matthew 22:40. and again..

JOHN 14:15 [15], IF YOU LOVE ME KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS.

You cannot separate LOVE from God’s LAW. Love is the FULFILLING of it and is demonstrated by OBEDIENCE to Gods’ LAW as our duty of LOVE to God and man. [“On these two commandments [of LOVE] hang ALL THE LAW and the prophets]

CONCLUSION: It is very clear that JESUS, PAUL and JAMES are all in agreement that the two GREAT COMMANDMENTS of LOVE that JESUS quoted from Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18 were used and known in the OLD Testament scripture to sum up our duty of LOVE to God and man in the 10 Commandments.... God's LAW (Ten commandments) is not separated from LOVE it demonstrates it. You cannot have LOVE without fulfilling God's Ten Commandments. [On these two Commandments of LOVE hang all the LAW and the prophets].

Sorry brother seems God's WORD disagrees with you and there is a lot of it.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is John 3:16-18 correct?

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
Answer my question first and then I will answer yours.

Where does the Bible say the new covenant is with Christians who no longer need to obey God’s commandments?

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So brother are you BELIEVING and FOLLOWING God if you are not following what he says? Read a few more scriptures further...

JOHN 3:16-21
[16], For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
[17], For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
[18], He that believes on him is not condemned: but he that believes not is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
[19], And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
[20], For every one that does evil hates the light, neither comes to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
[21], But he that does truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are worked in God.

If we are not FOLLOWING God's WORD when he asks us to are we BELIEVING or NOT BELIEVING God's WORD?
You promote a Christian becomes a Jew and the NC is only inclusive of Jews. But above says the NC includes everyone. The same book - In the Gospel of John Jesus says -

10:16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Answer my question first and then I will answer yours.

Where does the Bible say the new covenant is with Christians who no longer need to obey God’s commandments?
Jn 15:10
1 Jn 3:23
Rom 7:6
Acts 15

Need more? I got em.

Now please answer my question quoted in the post you responded to with the above post.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do you mean what do you do with it?
My guess is you throw it out seeing nothing in your post here discusses it.
The 10 Commandments are a part of both the OLD and NEW COVENANTS that show us what sin is ROMANS 7:7. It is the shadow laws from the MOSAIC BOOK of the Covenant * EXODUS 24:7 that are fulfilled in Christ (No more animal sacrifices, new priesthood and God's laws written on the heart by faith to LOVE).

You mix up the Shadow laws from the BOOK of the COVENANT with God's eternal law that give us the KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL; SIN and RIGHTEOUSNESS *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4; PSALMS 119:172 that show us we are all sinners and lead us to Christ that we might be forgiven by faith *GALATIANS 3:22-25 to be free from our sins to walk in his Spirit *GALATIANS 5:16.

BEFORE we come to Christ God's law is written on stone and teaches us that the wages of sin is death. When we have faith they are written in the heart through LOVE and LOVE is the fulfilling of God's LAW in all those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD by walking in his Spirit *ROMANS 13:8-10; ROMANS 8:1-4; GALATIANS 5:16.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How can you be keeping God's Commandments by breaking them? *JOHN 14:15
How can you love your neighbore by killing him or committing adultery? *JAMES 2:8-12?
I asked you to identify those commandments. I didn't ask you to badger me with the famous 10, unless you're claiming the "my commandments" of Jn 14:15 are the famous 10. If so plainly say that.
Jesus says you cannot separate LOVE from OBEDIENCE to God's LAW

[37], Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.

When we LOVE GOD and our NEIGHBOUR it is expressed through our actions.

If we LOVE our neighbor...

* We will honor our parents, - EXODUS 20:12
* We will not kill them EXODUS 20:13
* We will not commit adultery with thier spouse - EXODUS 20:14
* We will not steal from them - EXODUS 20:15
* We will not lie to them - EXODUS 20:16
* We will not covet what they own - EXODUS 20:17

If we LOVE our God...

* We will not have other Gods - EXODUS 20:3
* We will not make idols and worship them - EXODUS 20:4-5
* We will not take his name [follow] him in vain - EXODUS 20:7
* We will remember his Sabbath and keep it holy - EXODUS 20:8-11

ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS [OF LOVE] HANG ALL THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS *MATTHEW 22:36-40.

PAUL says it this way...

ROMANS 13:8-10
[8], Owe no man anything, but to love one another: for he that loves another has fulfilled the law. [9], For this, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not kill, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, You shall not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, namely, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. [10], Love works no ill to his neighbor: therefore, love is the fulfilling [DOING] of the law.

Notice what PAUL says here? LOVE is fulfilling [doing] God's Commandments. God's Commandments or duty towards your neighbor is summed up as you shall LOVE your neighbor as yourself v9. [On these two commandments hang ALL THE LAW and the prophets Matthew 22:40].

and again here...

ROMANS 3:31 [31], Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yes, we establish the law.

PAUL agrees with Jesus that if you LOVE you will fulfill God's LAW. What about JAMES?

[8] If you fulfill the royal law according to the scripture, You shall love your neighbor as yourself, you do well: [9], But if you have respect to persons, you commit sin, and are convicted of the law as transgressors. [10], For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. [11], For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if you commit no adultery, yet you kill, you are become a transgressor of the law. [12], So speak, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

James is using the second great commandment of LOVE which hangs all the commandments of our duty of love to our neighbour and quotes the commandments showing our duty towards our neighbor. This is why Jesus says “On these two commandments hang ALL THE LAW and the prophets” Matthew 22:40. and again..

JOHN 14:15 [15], IF YOU LOVE ME KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS.

You cannot separate LOVE from God’s LAW. Love is the FULFILLING of it and is demonstrated by OBEDIENCE to Gods’ LAW as our duty of LOVE to God and man. [“On these two commandments [of LOVE] hang ALL THE LAW and the prophets]

CONCLUSION: It is very clear that JESUS, PAUL and JAMES are all in agreement that the two GREAT COMMANDMENTS of LOVE that JESUS quoted from Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18 were used and known in the OLD Testament scripture to sum up our duty of LOVE to God and man in the 10 Commandments.... God's LAW (Ten commandments) is not separated from LOVE it demonstrates it. You cannot have LOVE without fulfilling God's Ten Commandments. [On these two Commandments of LOVE hang all the LAW and the prophets].

Sorry brother seems God's WORD disagrees with you and there is a lot of it.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jn 15:10
1 Jn 3:23
Rom 7:6
Acts 15

Need more? I got em.

Now please answer my question quoted in the post you responded to with the above post.
Yes John is correct.

Now, where do any of those verses or chapters say the covenant is with Christians?

For example, Jeremiah 31:31-33 says “I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel & Judah”.

I don’t see where those verses say “I will make a new covenant with Christians”.

Even Hebrews confirms that the new covenant is with Israel & Judah, NOT Christians.

Maybe you posted those by mistake?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No as I've already posted to you on this.

Not really brother you just posted you did not believe the scripture provided to you that show God's ISRAEL are all those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD. Gentiles are now grafted in to God's ISRAEL *ROMANS 11:13-27. If you are not a part of God's ISRAEL you have no part in the new covenant *HEBREWS 8:10-12.

You're free to show this isn't the famous 10, if you can.

No problem happy to share God's WORD. The OLD COVENANT was made up of God's 10 Commandments *DEUTERONOMY 4:13 and the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT *EXODUS 24:7. God's 10 Commandments were spoken *EXODUS 20:1-19 and written by GOD alone *EXODUS 32:16 and the book of the Covenant was written *DEUTERONOMY 31:24 and spoken by MOSES *EXODUS 24:4-7 alone (under God's guidence).

TOGETHER both God's eternal law (10 commadments) written on stone and the MOSAIC BOOK of the Covenant are the OLD COVENANT. They were both SEPARATED and housed in the ARK OF THE COVENANT. God's LAW was placed inside the ARK of the COVENANT *DEUTERONOMY 10:5 while the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT was placed in the side of the ARK of the COVENANT *DEUTERONOMY 31:26

DEUTERONOMY 10:5 [5] And I turned myself and came down from the mount, and put the tables in the ark which I had made; and there they are, as the LORD commanded me.

Yep there is the 10 Commandments housed in the ARK of the COVENANT.

DEUTERONOMY 31:26 [26] Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against you.

EXODUS 24:7 [7] And he took the BOOK OF THE COVENANT, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the LORD has said will we do, and be obedient.

So in summary here it is both the God's eternal law (10 Commandments) that give us the KNOWLEDGE of sin and the shadow laws from the MOSIAC BOOK of the Covenant that made up the OLD COVENANT.

The NEW COVENANT is not like the OLD COVENANT. We no longer do animal sacrifices and the shadow laws from the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT *EXODUS 24:7 that pointed to JESUS and God's plan of salvation in the NEW are fulfilled in Christ and his mimistration as our great sacrifice and high Priest who ministers on our behalf in the Heavenly Sanctuary made without hande.

You mix up the shadow laws from that MOSAIC book of the covenant *EXODUS 24:7 brother with God's eternal law that give us the KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL; SIN and RIGHTEOUSNESS *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4; PSALMS 119:172 that show us we are all sinners and lead us to Christ that we might be forgiven by faith *GALATIANS 3:22-25 to be free from our sins to walk in his Spirit *GALATIANS 5:16.

The NEW COVENANT is not the same as the OLD COVENANT *HEBREWS 8:10-12, we no longer need to follow the Shadow LAWS from the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT that all pointed to JESUS and God's plan of salvation in the NEW COVENANT.

Romans 11 doesn't say graft into Israel.

ROMANS 11:17, And if some of the branches be broken off [ISRAEL], and you [GENTILES], being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them partake of the root and fatness of the olive tree.

Who were the branches that were broken off?

[18], Boast not against the branches. But if you boast, you bore not the root, but the root you. [19], You will say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in. [20], Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Be not high minded, but fear: [21], For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not you.

[23], And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be grafted in: for God is able to graft them in again.
[24], For if you were cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and were grafted contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?

Who are the natural branches brother that were broken off because of their UNBELIEF in God's WORD that can be grafted back in through BELIEVING God's WORD?

[25], For I would not, brothers, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in.

ROMANS 11 is talking about being grafted into CHRIST the ROOT. GOD'S ISRAEL ARE the BRANCHES. SOME where broken off because of their UNBELIEF.

Identify these commandments in both your references.

JOHN 14:15 IF YOU LOVE ME KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS

links to..

CONCLUSION: IF we LOVE GOD we will keep his Commandments.

1 JOHN 2:3-4
[3], And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
[4], He that said, I know him, and keeps not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

The context here is SIN...

1 JOHN 2:1-2
[1], My little children, these things write I to you, that you sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
[2], And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

So the meaning of 1 JOHN 2:3-4 is determined by the context which is that we SIN NOT. So to determine what commandments 1 JOHN 2:3-4 is talking about we need to determine know what sin is which is the CONTEXT.

WHAT IS SIN?

[8], If ye fulfill the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself, ye do well:
[9], But if ye have respect to persons, YOU COMMIT SIN, AND ARE CONVINCED OF THE LAW AS TRANSGRESSORS.
[10], For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
[11] For he that said, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, said also, DO NOT KILL. Now if thou commit NO ADULTERY, yet if thou KILL, YOU ARE BECOME A TRANSGRESSOR OF GOD'S LAW

Yep, James is pretty clear if we brake ANY of God's Law (10 commandments) then we are a TRANSGRESSOR of God's LAW and commit SIN. James quotes two of the 10 Commandments saying that if we break them we commit sin v9 that are summed up in the 2nd great commandments of LOVE to God and LOVE to our neighbour in v11. Maybe you missed that one?

ROMANS 7:7 [7], What shall we say then? is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I HAD NOT KNOWN SIN, BUT BY THE LAW: for I had not known lust, EXCEPT THE LAW HAD SAID YOU SHALL NOT COVET.

Well here we have Paul in agreement with James and John also telling us that he did not know what sin was without God's 10 Commandments. SIN is breaking God's commandments and Paul uses the 10th commandment as an example of breaking any of God's LAW (10 commandments) = SIN (Exodus 20:17)

links to...

1 JOHN 3:4 [4] Whosoever commits SIN transgresses also the law: for SIN is the transgression of the law.

John is saying the same thing as James and Paul and states that if we TRANSGRESS God's LAW then we commit SIN because SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF GOD'S LAW. So it is very clear that SIN is breaking ANY of God's LAW (10 commandments). We will look at the chapter context John uses v15 of MURDER as an example of sin which is God's 6th Command of the 10.

Sin is indeed defined in God's WORD as breaking any of the 10 Commandments in both the OLD and NEW TESTAMENT scriptures.

CONCLUSION; SO if the CONTEXT of 1 JOHN 2:3-4 is SIN and SIN is breaking any one of God's 10 commandments than the commandment that 1 JOHN 2:3-4 is referring to is God's eternal LAW, the 10 commandments that give us a KNOWLEDGE of what SIN is.

Which says nothing about the sabbath. Sorry.

Actually God's 10 Commandments have everything to do with the SABBATH as God's 4th Commandment is to REMEMBER the SABBATH DAY to keep it HOLY.

No sir, it doesn't. You mean we're obligated to the law with this verse. Paul says - "we are now delivered from the law..." That is a far cry from obligation to the law. Paul specifically quotes the 10th in the verse following the quote.

Sorry brother it does not say that at all unless you believe Paul is contradicting himself. You do not believe that do you brother?

ROMANS 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yes, we establish the law. Romans 7:7 is showing the purpose of God's law is to give us a knowledge of sin.

Has nothing to do with the law.

Actually it has everything to do with God's LAW. JAMES 2:8-11 is quoting God's 10 Commandments.

Verse 18 tells us we're not under the law if we are led by the Spirit. But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Indeed all those who have faith are not under the condemnation of God's LAW once we have been forgiven thorugh faith to walk in God's Spirit *ROMANS 8:1-4; ROMANS 3:19-20. None have God's Spirit however while knowingly breaking any of God's commandments *ACTS 2:38.

This is only sent with all respect and love brother. It seems God's WORD disagrees with you.

May God help you as you seek him through his Word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
My guess is you throw it out seeing nothing in your post here discusses it.

You would guess wrong. Don't you think it a bit funny how that under your statement you have provided you have provided a quote with scripture discussing the OLD COVENANT? For a more detailed discussion however please see post # 75 above linked

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You promote a Christian becomes a Jew and the NC is only inclusive of Jews. But above says the NC includes everyone. The same book - In the Gospel of John Jesus says -

10:16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

Not at all brother. Have you not read these the scritures. They tell the story...

EPHESIANS 2:11-13 [11], Why remember, that you being in TIME PAST Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
[12], That AT THAT TIME [in the Past] YOU WERE WITHOUT CHRIST, BEING ALIENS FROM THE COMMONWEALTH OF ISRAEL, STRANGERS FROM THE COVENANT OF PROMISE, HAVING NO HOPE, AND WITHOUT GOD IN THE WORLD: [13], BUT NOW IN CHRIST JESUS, YOU WHO WERE FAR OFF ARE MADE NEAR BY THE BLOOD OF CHRIST.

ROMANS 9:6-8 [6], FOR THEY ARE NOT ALL ISRAEL WHICH ARE OF ISRAEL,: [7], NEITHER, BECAUSE THEY ARE THE SEED OF ABRAHAM, ARE THEY ALL CHILDREN: but in Isaac shall thy seed be called <Christ> [8], That is, THEY WHICH ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE FLESH, THESE ARE NOT THE CHILDREN OF GOD: BUT THE CHILDREN OF THE PROMISE <those who believe> ARE COUNTED FOR THE SEED.

ROMANS 2:28-29 [28], FOR HE IS NOT A JEW WHICH IS ONE OUTWARDLY; NEITHER IS THAT CIRCUMCISION, WHICH IS OUTWARDS IN THE FLESH: [29], BUT HE IS A JEW WHICH IS ONE INWARDLY; and CIRCUMCISION IS OF THE HEART, IN THE SPIRIT, AND NOT IN THE LETTER; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

ROMANS 10:11-13 [11], For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. [12], FOR THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN JEW OR GREEK: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. [13], FOR WHOSOEVER SHALL CALL UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD SHALL BE SAVED.

GALATIANS 3:28-29 [28], THERE IS NEITHER JEW NOR GREEK, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: FOR YOU ALL ONE IN CHRIST JESUS AND IF YOU BE CHRISTS, THEN YOU ARE ABRAHAM'S SEED FOR YOU ARE ALL ONE IN CHRIST JESUS [29], and IF YOU BE CHRISTS, THEN ARE YOU ABRAHAM'S SEED, AND HEIRS ACCORDING TO THE PROMISE.

May God bless you as you seek him through his Word.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Resting into God's rest means to BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD. HEBREWS 3 tells us that those in the wilderness did not enter in to God's REST (Seventh day SABBATH *HEBREWS 4:1-5) because of their UNBELIEF and SINS *HEBREWS 3:6-19 Sin is breaking any one of God's Commandments *1 JOHN 3:4. If we break any one of God's 10 Commandments we stand guilty before God of sin * JAMES 2:10-11.

God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it when God asks us not just like any one of the other commandments we stand guilty before God of committing sin. If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

Breaking any of God's Commandments when God tells us not to is not BELIEVING and FOLLOWING God's WORD and doing the same thing that God warns us about in HEBREWS 3:6-19.

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has led many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to KEEP Sunday as a Holy day.

Who should we follow the teachings and traditions of men or the Word of God? Who should we believe the Words of men or the Word of God?

In times of ignorance God winks at but now ,<when a KNOWLEDGE of the truth has come> calls all men everywhere to REPENT (FOLLOW) (Acts 17:30-31).
Clearly the Holy Spirit says ' today if you hear my voice do not harden your heat (Hebrews 3:7). The rest was actually the promised land but only 4 believed God deliever it into their hand: Mases, Joshua, Caleb and a hooker from Jericho whos name actualky appears in the genealogy of Christ. They we so determined not to enter Canaan they were goung to kill Joshua and Caleb but the glory of God appears above the tabranacle, stopping the whole thing. They hardened their hearts in unbelief and if you think Christians are bound by Jewish sabbaths you need to do more reading in Galatians.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Clearly the Holy Spirit says ' today if you hear my voice do not harden your heat (Hebrews 3:7). The rest was actually the promised land but only 4 believed God deliever it into their hand: Mases, Joshua, Caleb and a hooker from Jericho whos name actualky appears in the genealogy of Christ. They we so determined not to enter Canaan they were goung to kill Joshua and Caleb but the glory of God appears above the tabranacle, stopping the whole thing. They hardened their hearts in unbelief and if you think Christians are bound by Jewish sabbaths you need to do more reading in Galatians.

In a way yes Mark the eternal rest represent the promised land and that which is to be received at the second coming. However the CONTEXT in relation to rest is also that of God's REST where the scriptures emphasizes God's rest as "MY REST" HEBREWS 3:6-19 shows that God's people did not enter into GOD'S REST because they did not BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD. They followed their own ways over God's and it was UNBELIEF in God's WORD and sin (Breaking God's LAW) that were the reasons they could not enter into GOD'S REST.

The "MY REST" spoken of in HEBREWS 3:6-19 is fruther defined in HEBREWS 4:1-5.

HEBREWS 4
[1], Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
[2], For to us was the gospel preached, as well as to them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
[3], For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
[4], For he spoke in a certain place of the SEVENTH DAY on this wise, And God did rest the SEVENTH DAY from all his works.
And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

KEY POINTS OF HEBREWS 4:1-5

NOTE: CONTEXT is God's REST from the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH REST OF CREATION (v4-5) and those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW GOD's WORD enter into God's SABBATH REST as GOD did on the SEVENTH DAY of the week. CONTEXT is GOD's SEVENTH DAY SABBATH REST and those who believe or do not believe God's WORD and enter into that rest.

[6], Seeing therefore it remains that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
[7], Again, he limits a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if you will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
[8], For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
[9], So then, it remains for the people of God to keep the Sabbath

KEY POINTS OF HEBREWS 4:9

Now notice Hebrews 4, verse 9: “There remains therefore a SABBATH rest to the people of God.” In verses 1, 3, 4 and 8, the Greek word for “rest” is katapausin. It means “rest.” But in verse 9, the Greek word for “rest” is sabbatismos, which is a Hebrew word—Sabbat, which means “the Sabbath”—combined with a Greek suffix—ismos, which means “a keeping of” or “a doing of.” Put together, sabbatismo means “a keeping of the Sabbath.” When correctly translated, Hebrews 4:9 should read, “There remains therefore a keeping of the Sabbath to the people of God.”

INTERLINEAR HEBREWS 4:9

αρα απολειπεται σαββατισμος τω λαω του θεου
So then there remains a Sabbath rest to the people - of God

Parallel translations of HEBREWS 4:9

New International Version
There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God;

English Standard Version
So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God,

Berean Study Bible
So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.

Berean Literal Bible
So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.

New American Standard Bible
So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.

Christian Standard Bible
Therefore, a Sabbath rest remains for God's people.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Therefore, a Sabbath rest remains for God's people.

International Standard Version
There remains, therefore, a Sabbath rest for the people of God to keep,

NET Bible
Consequently a Sabbath rest remains for the people of God.

New Heart English Bible
There remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
So then, it remains for the people of God to keep the Sabbath.

New American Standard 1977

American Standard Version
There remaineth therefore a sabbath rest for the people of God.

Darby Bible Translation
There remains then a sabbatism to the people of God.

English Revised Version
There remaineth therefore a sabbath rest for the people of God.

Weymouth New Testament
It follows that there still remains a sabbath rest for the people of God.

World English Bible

Young's Literal Translation
there doth remain, then, a Sabbatic rest to the people of God,

continuing...

[10], For he that is entered into his rest (v9 SABBATH REST), he also has ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
[11], Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief (Heb 3).

CONCLUSION: Yep lots of scripture here showing that if you do not enter into God's Gospel rest you cannot enter his SABBATH REST. v 1-4 is the context of the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH confirmed in v9-11 Hebrews 3-4 is talking about the Gospel and the keeping of God's SEVENTH DAY SABBATH by BELIEVING and FOLLOWING God's WORD. "There remains therefore a SABBATH rest to the people of God. Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief" v9-11. HEBREWS 4 supports the keeping of the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH by believing and following the Word of God.

God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has lead many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

If you think as Christian we are free to break God's Commandments brother you ignore the warnings given from HEBREWS 3 and HEBREWS 4. Sin is breaking any one of God's Commandments *JAMES 2:10-11. All those who continue in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Many are called but few are chosen.

May God bless you as you seek him through his Word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

liberty of conscience

created anew
Dec 3, 2018
Visistate
Visit site
✟12,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hebrews 8:8 But God found fault with the people and said:

“The days are coming, declares the Lord,
when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel
and with the people of Judah.
9 It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors

when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they did not remain faithful to my covenant,
and I turned away from them,
declares the Lord.
10 This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel
after that time, declares the Lord.
I will put my laws in their minds
and write them on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.

The text is of course, correct (I agree with what it says, not with what you want it to say). Hebrews 8 in speaking of the 'first' (which is not really the first, more on that later as needful) is not speaking about the Ten Commandments when it mentions "old" covenant and faulty promises. It is speaking about the 'old covenant' of Exodus 19:8, "All that the LORD hath spoken we will do."

God's Covenant is "I will ...", of which if you look at the Ten Commandments, they are all promises (Ephesians 6:2) of God to us in what He would do through Christ Jesus. The very first verse is Grace:

Exo 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

Notice that Hebrews 8 specifically speaks of "their fathers" ("their ancestors", is actually "elders" of the peoples who promised "All that the LORD hath spoken we will do.", but that "promise" among others (Exodus 24, etc) was "fault(y)".)

You are esiegetically reading into the text of Hebrews 8 the "Ten Commandments" when you read "covenant" with their "fathers". That is not what the text said.

Last edited:
Upvote 0