Australia
✟18,466.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nota - I can't speak for anyone else, but I consider anything that covers the head to be a headcovering (this sounds a lot stupider written than it did in my head). So there are some traditionally headcovering denominations that I wouldn't necessarily consider to actually be covering their head. If a snood is really lacy with lots of holes, then I'd wonder about how much it's actually covering, but if it's covering the head, it's covering the head. Hair I'm not so concerned about, I just stopped wearing my hair loose because (a) it got tangled really easily and (b) I was sick of being mistaken for Exclusive Brethren.

I do wear snoody-type-things occasionally, but I don't think I own any actual snoods. I've tried to make them from time to time but usually just end up feeding my sister's obsession with berets... I like wearing them on days I'm just staying at home, or if I have a headache and don't want my hair in a bun. I've found it's pretty easy to turn something like a large bandanna into a snood-shaped thing. Now you've got my interest up to try crocheting a snood again...

Upvote 0

Just4Jesus

Legend
Jan 16, 2006
Alabama
✟81,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I get mine from Rosa Mystica Mantilla & Veils. That's the one thing trad Catholics have in common with Anabaptists: headcoverings! :) Here are some pictures for you, from their website:

DSC01048.JPG.opt213x284o0,0s213x284.JPG

DSC00853.JPG.opt251x330o0,0s251x330.JPG

DSC01345.JPG.opt283x377o0,0s283x377.JPG

DSC01417.JPG.opt309x412o0,0s309x412.JPG

DSC01383.JPG.opt191x254o0,0s191x254.JPG

Pretty, eh? :)
Those are beautiful!!

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
My wife and I are approximately 60. We may be moving to join a Chrarity kind of church.

One big change will be the way my wife dresses. She has almost always worn pants, and in most of the Christian settings we have been in that has been common.

She may be having some trouble getting used to the idea of dresses, as a faith issue.

So, that being said, here's my questions:

1. What Biblical reasons are there for dresses only, in addition to Deut. 22:5?
2. What other advice would you give to us to help us work through this issue?

betterpromises

If you are looking for a Biblical example you will both need to start wearing a dress.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
So disturbing I'm never covering MYSELF UP. I don't see any men covering themselves up, why should women cover themselves up. DISTURBING. Make me feel subservient and weak. NO, I am equal. I'm never doing that ever, be assertive and proactive, be competitive and collaborating, NOT avoiding and accommodating.

Can't do or be anything like that EVER> How are you supposed to improve ANYTHING if you don't have any confidence and KNOW that change can happen.

Like what I like to say "If you want anything to get done, do it yourself" because no one else will do ANYTHING

NO. Horrible worst thing to do in entire world. I be independent and assertive and get things done, change and improve things

Get it done - ACTION

While I have a lot of sympathy for your point of view there is one thing that is worth saying; Christian women do not veil/cover before men, but before God.

It isn't about subservience to men (whatever might be implied by some of the comments here). It is about recognising who we are before God himself. I am pretty sure that if I were standing before the Lord and an angel offered me a voluminous scarf I would want to wrap myself in it immediately.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
My wife and I are approximately 60. We may be moving to join a Chrarity kind of church.
One big change will be the way my wife dresses. She has almost always worn pants, and in most of the Christian settings we have been in that has been common.
She may be having some trouble getting used to the idea of dresses, as a faith issue.
So, that being said, here's my questions:
1. What Biblical reasons are there for dresses only, in addition to Deut. 22:5?
2. What other advice would you give to us to help us work through this issue?
betterpromises
Anabaptists (of olde, not necessarily 'modern' ones who have departed),
see things much differently than most other groups, and accordingly may be the only or one of the only groups to ask your questions of.
(members of other groups have vastly different perspectives, motives, ideas and doctrines)...

However,
since you posted long ago and did not come back, >>>see below >>>
I don't guess we will see you again, but might, Yahweh willing.

Betterpromises
Ratings Received:+0
Betterpromises was last seen: May 28, 2013

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Clothes and hairstyles are two of the topics I refuse to argue about.
That seems ridiculous - aren`t there enough real problems around to wrestle with??
If you are still a seeker, then probably yes, there are much more serious problems to wrestle with and to overcome in order to be saved. If you get to this point, let us know. There are several points of importance you wouldn't even be able to understand until after being saved. (especially concerning what authority you live under on earth, Yahweh's or he devil's or some group's or man's , etc )

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
So disturbing I'm never covering MYSELF UP. I don't see any men covering themselves up
Rebellion is the norm in the world, so you have a lot of company, both among men and among women.
If you got around to reading Scripture,
you may already have found out that Christ is the head of man, as God is the head of Christ, and man is the head of woman. This has not changed in thousands of years, as it is God's Sovereign Word, unchanging.

Upvote 0

ellelit

May 21, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
✟11,259.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For the 'hanging veiling' style of covering, I think most women that wear them
sew their own, as they are fairly simple. The Beachy style cap is much more
difficult to make. I do not know where you are, but the closest place to me
that I know of that carries them is in Lancaster, PA. I don't know Ohio very
well, but in areas with large Beachy communities, I suspect you will find
someone who makes coverings. Ask around at church...
There are some available on Etsy.

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Russian Orthodox Winter Baptism, Valaam Monastery,
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
We do head coverings in the Orthodox Faith as well -
Even that old spectacle-hanger in my avatar...
And especially Old Women:
MotherPoljka.jpg

And young girls as well...

Kursk Claire.jpg

And the newly baptized:

The Real Unity.jpg

Not to mention Mothers:
SleepingBeauties2.jpg

Arsenios

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE="Arsenios, post: 72608930, member: 383347"]We do head coverings in the Orthodox Faith as well -
Even that old spectacle-hanger in my avatar...
And especially Old Women:
View attachment 227603

And young girls as well...

View attachment 227604

And the newly baptized:

View attachment 227605

Not to mention Mothers:
View attachment 227606

Arsenios[/QUOTE
============================
I don't know how to accurately research and spend the time to verify,
but have seen no contradictions so far -
ALL the women in ALL the churches used to cover,
HOPEFULLY in obedience to God's Word,
(yet maybe for other reasons - none-the-less they ALL covered).

Which country or which churches rebellion[regarding this] started in , no one has mentioned as far as I know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well just to put my 2cents in on the subject.
A fee years ago when reading in a small home church Corinthians 11 we asked ourselves if Paul (writing for GOD) says women should cover their head, then why weren't we? So from then on we did.
I personally do it as a statement that I am in submission to God.
That word "submission" nowadays sends many into a fury, but it does not mean unequal, it means to me, that we are cared for, we are cherished by the man (even though I am unmarried) and ultimately by God. I am single so I like it shows my submission to God.

Oh previously I had, when the issue arose said (really of my own thought) "that was back then....etc).
It was funny we read it and questioned " why aren't we doing it", so from then on we did!
It was like a light bulb went on,

I am now attending a church and wear a hat.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well just to put my 2cents in on the subject.
A fee years ago when reading in a small home church Corinthians 11 we asked ourselves if Paul (writing for GOD) says women should cover their head, then why weren't we? So from then on we did.
That word "submission" nowadays sends many into a fury, but it does not mean unequal, it means to me, that we are cared for, we are cherished by the man (even though I am unmarried) and ultimately by God. I am single so I like it shows my submission to God.

Oh previously I had, when the issue arose said (really of my own thought) "that was back then....etc).
It was funny we read it and questioned " why aren't we doing it", so from then on we did!

I am now attending a church and wear a hat.
My apologies, I just saw that this was on the Anabaptist forum and I am not Anabaptist.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE="Heavenhome, post: 72636017, member: 405423"]Well just to put my 2cents in on the subject.

I am now attending a church and wear a hat.[/QUOTE

reminds me of this: "Leonard Ravenhill “One of these days some simple soul will pick up the book of God, read it, and believe it. Then the rest of us will be embarrassed.” "

Read the book of God, read it, believe it, and "BE DOERS of the WORD, not just hearers" , be true followers of Jesus, not 'wanna-be'....

• Friendly
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Dwarfette

in christ alone
May 9, 2018
Torbay
✟330.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Are there any other head covering women on here? Where do you purchase your head coverings?

I just got a simple ivory covering from Garlands of Grace and I love it!:)

I headcover by wearing plain coloured beanie hats that I knit. I'm happy that you are happy. It's a blessing to serve the Lord in a practical way. Amen.

Upvote 0

FGI-SOLAR

Brother Lee
Sep 5, 2018
Nashville
✟7,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi it's nice to find People discussing the Bible! Is there a Lady out there who is passionate about Loving God by following His Word? I would really like to find one! All the Word of God is plain to those who have understanding. True obedience will bring us into understanding and freedom to Love Jesus!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums