Emma677

Sep 23, 2011
✟15,234.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
CelticRose,

Thank you for sharing that story - it is a real blessing.

I was also drawn to Christ by seeing modestly dressed headcovering Christian women. At first I was just very confused, but I knew that they had something I didn't and that I desperately wanted it.

I am not covering full-time yet. I cover part-time. I was covering much more but then I started going to a non-denominational church where I was the only one covering and I felt pressure to stop. I'm thinking about returning to an Anabaptist church where I can be around other covering women and get support.

• Agree
Reactions: ellelit
Upvote 0

SwordoftheLord

Defender of the Faith
Mar 23, 2009
✟18,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
verse 16 is the verse that is quoted alot by people against headcoverings

"But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God" and of course 15 is debated on whether the hair is the covering or given for the covering.. I am battling this with my wife, since I believe that women should wear coverings, but she thinks otherwise..

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sword, I'm sorry you and your wife are at odds about this. Since I believe headcovering is a symbol of the headship order and a wife's submission to her husband (or daughter to father, in the case of the unmarried) it wouldn't be right for her to cover right now anyway, since she doesn't have a submissive heart. I will say this, however - I believe when the Bible says our hair was given to us for a covering, that means it was meant to be covered. If it meant our hair is our covering, it would have said our hair is given to us as a covering.

Upvote 0

Minty

S.O.P.H.I.E
Aug 6, 2007
South East London, England
✟19,598.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
I've been reading this thread and am finding it so informative so far. Thank you.

One question, though... what kind of things can be used for daily covering? Are scarves enough? Or do they have to be something specially made? Does anyone know of some links to pictures that will give me more of an idea about this?

Thank you in advance :)

Upvote 0

a pilgrim

Not a fan, but a follower.
Jul 8, 2011
✟8,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a very good commentary on that verse:

1Co 11:16
But if any man seem to be contentious - The sense of this passage is probably this: “If any man, any teacher, or others, “is disposed” to be strenuous about this, or to make it a matter of difficulty; if he is disposed to call in question my reasoning, and to dispute my premises and the considerations which I have advanced, and to maintain still that it is proper for women to appear unveiled in public, I would add that in Judea we have no such custom, neither does it prevail among any of the churches. This, therefore, would be a sufficient reason why it should not be done in Corinth, even if the abstract reasoning should not convince them of the impropriety. It would be singular; would be contrary to the usual custom; would offend the prejudices of many and should, therefore, be avoided.”
We have no such custom - We the apostles in the churches which we have elsewhere founded; or we have no such custom in Judea. The sense is, that it is contrary to custom there for women to appear in public unveiled. This custom, the apostle argues, ought to be allowed to have some influence on the church of Corinth, even though they should not be convinced by his reasoning.
Neither the churches of God - The churches elsewhere. It is customary there for the woman to appear veiled. If at Corinth this custom is not observed, it will be a departure from what has elsewhere been regarded as proper; and will offend these churches. Even, therefore, if the reasoning is not sufficient to silence all cavils and doubts, yet the propriety of uniformity in the habits of the churches, the fear of giving offence should lead you to discountenance and disapprove the custom of your females appearing in public without their veil.

From Barne's Notes

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been reading this thread and am finding it so informative so far. Thank you.

One question, though... what kind of things can be used for daily covering? Are scarves enough? Or do they have to be something specially made? Does anyone know of some links to pictures that will give me more of an idea about this?

Thank you in advance :)

Hi, Minty :wave:

The answer to this question will vary greatly depending on who is responding and how either their church/denomination or they themselves interpret the Scriptures. From my studies, I have come to determine that the type of covering I should be wearing is a style that hangs, like a charity veil. Other women believe if the top of the head is covered (like with a wide headband) then that is sufficient. Below are some pictures of different types of head coverings. I sew my own and place snaps on them for easy wear. The ones I wear look similar to the one below captioned as the charity veil (commonly found in Charity Fellowships) and are great for every day wear. When I wear mine with a Mennonite style flat bun they lay nicely and I don't get headaches. Under each picture I will put a link to the website where I found the images :)

charity.jpg

Charity Veil

Yellow_Summer_Fl_4e4de19a6f1ed_375x500.jpg

Tichel

DSCN0251.jpg

Mennonite cap

WhiteFloralLaceMantillaVeil-WhiteGrapeVenise3.jpg

Lace Mantilla/Prayer Shawl

7040676629_f25a871d11.jpg

Wide Stretch Headband that can be pulled down into a kerchief style

Upvote 0

a pilgrim

Jul 8, 2011
✟8,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, Minty :wave:

The answer to this question will vary greatly depending on who is responding and how either their church/denomination or they themselves interpret the Scriptures. From my studies, I have come to determine that the type of covering I should be wearing is a style that hangs, like a charity veil. Other women believe if the top of the head is covered (like with a wide headband) then that is sufficient. Below are some pictures of different types of head coverings. I sew my own and place snaps on them for easy wear. The ones I wear look similar to the one below captioned as the charity veil (commonly found in Charity Fellowships) and are great for every day wear. When I wear mine with a Mennonite style flat bun they lay nicely and I don't get headaches. Under each picture I will put a link to the website where I found the images :)http://www.garlandsofgrace.com/products-page/one-of-a-kind/cecilys-anywhere-scarf-rose/

I believe you are right, sister. The Greek word for covering literally translates, a downward hanging covering. A cap does not do that.

Upvote 0

SandyKay

Aug 30, 2010
MS
✟7,634.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Are there any other head covering women on here? Where do you purchase your head coverings?

I just got a simple ivory covering from Garlands of Grace and I love it!:)

I wear a head-covering. Some would call it a bun cover but it is larger then a mere bun cover.

I sew my own. It takes a lot of practice to make. I am looking to change my style that is easier but still covers. I could wear a hanging veil but for personal reasons I prefer the covering that fits tight to the head.

God bless.

Reactions: Minty
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Minty

S.O.P.H.I.E
Aug 6, 2007
✟19,598.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
This may sound silly, but does anyone have a pattern that will allow me to make my own? I'd love to try this out and all of the sites are in the States and I cannot afford the postage :(

What shape are they when not worn? I'm really intrigued.

Upvote 0

a pilgrim

Jul 8, 2011
✟8,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This may sound silly, but does anyone have a pattern that will allow me to make my own? I'd love to try this out and all of the sites are in the States and I cannot afford the postage :(

My wife and girls make a simple "D" covering. Get some spare cloth, (that you can experiment with,) measure from your hairline, to however long you want it in the back, (we go down about 6 in. from collar,) the top and bottom of the "D" will be your measurement from earlobe to earlobe, and add a simple tie. This is the "very" conservative one, they use at our fellowship.

The other is the "Charity Fellowship" type. This is a large oval. Just experiment. Clip it will little clips or hair pins. With the "Charity" type, we use a little safety pin under the ponytail.

Does this make sense coming from an ignorant guy? :) Help, sisters!

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

Hiya Minty. :wave:

The shapes look to be triangular. If you want an easy way to start, use a square headscarf, fold it into a triangle, and tie it under your hair, at the back. See how you get on with that, before you buy or make anything. There are plenty of places to buy headscarves from, or use a piece of material, about 18" square. That should be big enough, I think.

Hope all is well. C xxx

Reactions: Minty
Upvote 0

Minty

S.O.P.H.I.E
Aug 6, 2007
✟19,598.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
It makes a lot of sense, a pilgrim... and thank you very much :D

Hiya, CA :wave: Great to hear from you... and I'd thought of using scarves (I even tried it the other night and I thought I looked quite good, I seem to have a head that looks good in a covering lol) I just had a terrible time in getting the scarf to stay put, even using clips... I have a head that seems to shrug off anything other than alice-bands with teeth. I have really fine hair and so not much for a clip to get a hold of ^_^

I was wondering if it would be ok to fix a scarf to an alice band just to stop it falling off?

Upvote 0

a pilgrim

Jul 8, 2011
✟8,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hiya, CA :wave: Great to hear from you... and I'd thought of using scarves (I even tried it the other night and I thought I looked quite good, I seem to have a head that looks good in a covering lol) I just had a terrible time in getting the scarf to stay put, even using clips... I have a head that seems to shrug off anything other than alice-bands with teeth. I have really fine hair and so not much for a clip to get a hold of ^_^

I was wondering if it would be ok to fix a scarf to an alice band just to stop it falling off?

Most guys wouldn't know much about head covering, but I have a wife and seven daughters and I have seen ALOT of head coverings in my life! :D

• Haha
Reactions: ellelit
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

That sounds fine; I also like the idea of a wide hair band, that can be worn either as a scarf or head band, depending on how brave we happen to be feeling. If you use a silk scarf (assuming you can afford one!) it might stay put a bit more than a cotton one. And you can always sew a hair comb onto the scarf as well, to give it more grip.

:wave:

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'm sending you a PM, Minty. :wave:

Upvote 0

Minty

S.O.P.H.I.E
Aug 6, 2007
✟19,598.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
That sounds fine; I also like the idea of a wide hair band, that can be worn either as a scarf or head band, depending on how brave we happen to be feeling. If you use a silk scarf (assuming you can afford one!) it might stay put a bit more than a cotton one. And you can always sew a hair comb onto the scarf as well, to give it more grip.

:wave:

I'll have to remember that and get myself a silk scarf... the cotton ones (and other materials) just seem to slip off as soon as I put them on :sigh:

I also have very fine hair, so not much for clips to get a hold of (and oftentimes the clips pull so much that I have to take them out). I'm liking the idea of the hair comb at the front of the scarf, that would keep it secure enough for all day wear :D

Upvote 0