✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
PHOENIX (AP) -- The Arizona House has passed a Republican-backed bill that expands the rights of people to assert their religious beliefs in refusing service to gays and others.

Democrats and civil rights groups opposed the measure, saying it would allow discriminatory actions by businesses.

The House approved the bill on a 33-27 vote Thursday afternoon, with two Republicans joining all Democrats in opposition. The state Senate passed the bill after nearly two hours of debate a day earlier on a straight 17-13 party-line vote.

HB2153: Right to refuse service bill passes House vote - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

I expect this will be signed by the governor and enacted. Thoughts? Quite frankly, I think discrimination should generally be legal - then let the free market castigate businesses that discriminate.

Reactions: EdwinWillers

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
HB2153: Right to refuse service bill passes House vote - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

I expect this will be signed by the governor and enacted. Thoughts? Quite frankly, I think discrimination should generally be legal - then let the free market castigate businesses that discriminate.

I happen to agree with you.

If a business discriminates, that costs them customers...which costs them money...which isn't smart business. But, oh well.

Of course, I'd also know that I'm not welcome in a place so that I can leave, too.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

Seems like another useless piece of misguided legislation which is mostly intended to garner attention ... which won't resolve any significant issues and will likely be struck down by the court system.

Reactions: kermit
Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Quite frankly, I think discrimination should generally be legal - then let the free market castigate businesses that discriminate.

How did that work out for black people during the days of segregation? Discrimination is easy to justify as long as you're not the one being discriminated against.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

As I have always said, I have no problem with a business owner refusing to serve someone based on their individual religious beliefs. But, I think it only fair for that business owner to be compelled to inform the public who indeed they will refuse to serve. A posting on their website and something in plain view in their storefront would suffice. You want to discriminate in a public business, fine, they should then be willing to make that clear to the public they make money off of.

Reactions: JoyJuice
Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
How did that work out for black people during the days of segregation? Discrimination is easy to justify as long as you're not the one being discriminated against.

Sometimes I read things here and they just make me scratch my head. Reps

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As I have always said, I have no problem with a business owner refusing to serve someone based on their individual religious beliefs. But, I think it only fair for that business owner to be compelled to inform the public who indeed they will refuse to serve. A posting on their website and something in plain view in their storefront would suffice. You want to discriminate in a public business, fine, they should then be willing to make that clear to the public they make money off of.

I suspect like businesses that discriminated on the basis of race in the past that they will make themselves known soon enough.

As abhorrent as it is, why shouldn't we let racial discrimination be legal for businesses? It would be a stupid business practice, but stupidity isn't generally illegal.

Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

A big ad in the local newspaper or during the local news should suffice. Or the city could send a mailer out to everyone in the community.

But it'd be a lot easier and less time consuming to just have anti-discrimination laws. Discriminate and suffer the consequences.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Isn't refusing to sell me something just because you "don't like my kind" infringing on my right to engage in trade and commerce, by the way?

It's limiting my choices, possibly making me spend more money at somewhere further away, etc.

Businesses aren't people. If you can't deal with doing business with people you disagree with, then you shouldn't be in business at all.

Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems like another useless piece of misguided legislation which is mostly intended to garner attention ... which won't resolve any significant issues and will likely be struck down by the court system.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Well, it's pretty clearly afoul of the constitution. "No State shall make or enforce any law which ... deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Upvote 0

Forest Wolf

Magical And Blessed
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
✟16,495.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's surprising how those who follow the Rabbi Yeshua believe it is incumbent upon them to judge and condemn those they deem to be sinners, so that those so judged suffer for it in this life.

This bill will never stand scrutiny as pertains to the U.S. Constitution. But that it is a Christian push is something that paints a disastrous legacy onto the family of a creator and a Rabbi of love and peace.

The implications, if this becomes law, don't appear to register with those in favor. Possibly because they imagine it their god given right to discriminate in the name of doing god's work for him. While never realizing this bill as law would allow others to discriminate based on their religious convictions against christians.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
My understanding is these signs are already popping up all over AZ...

1779885_232901750247345_443058972_n.jpg

Upvote 0