Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ever since it came out that Hawaii's errant missile alert memo was the result of an employee selecting the wrong option in a drop-down menu, I suspected that the program he was using had a poor interface design.

HIEMA has since released an image of that interface and... wow. It's even worse than you'd think.

Hawaii missile mess: That was no ‘wrong button.’ Take a look.

imrs.php

I would have been embarrassed to submit something like that for my freshman-level Comp Sci homework. That it made it into production at a state emergency management agency is unconscionable.

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ever since it came out that Hawaii's errant missile alert memo was the result of an employee selecting the wrong option in a drop-down menu, I suspected that the program he was using had a poor interface design.

HIEMA has since released an image of that interface and... wow. It's even worse than you'd think.

Hawaii missile mess: That was no ‘wrong button.’ Take a look.

imrs.php

I would have been embarrassed to submit something like that for my freshman-level Comp Sci homework. That it made it into production at a state emergency management agency is unconscionable.
Thats hilarious, a simple confirmation prompt probably would have saved alot of people some misery.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟428,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Makes me think that how to code and what to code are separate magisteria, so to speak.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Makes me think that how to code and what to code are separate magisteria, so to speak.

UI design interface requires a certain level of psychology that isn't necessarily taught to coders.

Also a healthy dose of knowledge of What Murphy Actually Said*, which is definitely not taught to coders, although many learn it eventually.

*If there are two ways to perform an action, one being right and one being wrong, but both look identically valid, then 50% of people will choose the wrong way."

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
UI design interface requires a certain level of psychology that isn't necessarily taught to coders.

Yes, *good*, *sophisticated* UI design is beyond what's taught to most coders.

But clean organization and consistent naming conventions is not - that's 1st semester stuff. There's no organization to this list at all. My best guess is that it shows options in the order in which they were added to the system, with newest on top.

wow god that's awful.
"let's go with the ui that reminds us of mid-90's internet."

When I was 12, I was making .bat file menus on a 386 that were WAY cleaner than this.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's reassuring to know that when the nuclear apocalypse wipes us out, it will be triggered by something most of us could code ourselves on a rainy afternoon.

Or just a dumb mistake. When the rhetoric ratchets this high, the scary idea is that one party or the other may actually believe it.

That's what happened in the 80s during the Cold War. We discovered belatedly in the 90s that Soviet president Andropov had already concluded in the early 80s that the US had won the Cold War, that the US could launch a successful first strike (with what he as an old Soviet WWII hardliner considered "acceptable losses"), and that President Reagan would be the American to do it. Andropov believed in his heart that Reagan would launch a first strike at any moment.

When we discovered that, we looked back on some of his rhetoric during that period and reflected on how Andropov had reacted so vicerally to every anti-Soviet remark by Reagan.

And then, it came to a head with the US exercise ABLE ARCHER 83. The various US nuclear forces each held their own annual nuclear war exercise, but that year some smart guys decided all the US nuclear forces should have a single big exercise, fully coordinated and, shucks, let's even bring in the National Command Authority (the president played, as I recall, by Warren Christopher).

So we had the biggest nuclear war exercise ever--not realizing how edgy the Soviets were.

I was on the Strategic Air Combat Operations Staff (SACOS) in the SAC Hq Underground Command Post at the time. When we got to the point that we were ordered to execute the Major Attack Option ("Fire everything!"), the exercise was over for us. That's because we estimated 25-30 Soviet warheads were targeted for the spot we sat.

It was just past noon. I went to my regular basement office to check my in-basket and planned to go home for a long nap. Then I got a telephone call: "Report back to the Underground...right away!"

I got back down there and they filled me in: The Soviets had "reacted" to the exercise. The Soviets couldn't break our encryption, but they had figured out who would be talking to whom, and it was a standard Soviet tactic to claim to be merely exercising and then actually go to war.

So when they got an indication that the execution order had been given, they started opening ICBM silos, deploying mobile nuclear forces, and flushing their boomers out of the sub bases.

You read articles about ABLE ARCHER 83 online, including a quite good Wikipedia article. But none of them mention the fact that we had four days of sheer terror. We had faith that someone was trying to talk the Soviets back from the edge, but in the SAC Underground Command Post, we were preparing for nuclear war as furiously as we could. Everything that had been an exercise before was suddenly the real deal. The generals' faces were as gray as concrete.

So in these days, the big thing that scares me is that Kim Jong Un probably does believe everything Trump says--he probably truly believes that Trump has actually made the decision to attack...it's just a matter of time. And that is dangerous. It makes it all too likely that some one over there is going to overreach, afraid of being the one who didn't react in time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, *good*, *sophisticated* UI design is beyond what's taught to most coders.

But clean organization and consistent naming conventions is not - that's 1st semester stuff. There's no organization to this list at all. My best guess is that it shows options in the order in which they were added to the system, with newest on top.

Yes. Yes, it looks that way.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Or just a dumb mistake. When the rhetoric ratchets this high, the scary idea is that one party or the other may actually believe it.

That's what happened in the 80s during the Cold War. We discovered belatedly in the 90s that Soviet president Andropov had already concluded in the early 80s that the US had won the Cold War, that the US could launch a successful first strike (with what he as an old Soviet WWII hardliner considered "acceptable losses"), and that President Reagan would be the American to do it. Andropov believed in his heart that Reagan would launch a first strike at any moment.

When we discovered that, we looked back on some of his rhetoric during that period and reflected on how Andropov had reacted so vicerally to every anti-Soviet remark by Reagan.

And then, it came to a head with the US exercise ABLE ARCHER 83. The various US nuclear forces each held their own annual nuclear war exercise, but that year some smart guys decided all the US nuclear forces should have a single big exercise, fully coordinated and, shucks, let's even bring in the National Command Authority (the president played, as I recall, by Warren Christopher).

So we had the biggest nuclear war exercise ever--not realizing how edgy the Soviets were.

I was on the Strategic Air Combat Operations Staff (SACOS) in the SAC Hq Underground Command Post at the time. When we got to the point that we were ordered to execute the Major Attack Option ("Fire everything!"), the exercise was over for us. That's because we estimated 25-30 Soviet warheads were targeted for the spot we sat.

It was just past noon. I went to my regular basement office to check my in-basket and planned to go home for a long nap. Then I got a telephone call: "Report back to the Underground...right away!"

I got back down there and they filled me in: The Soviets had "reacted" to the exercise. The Soviets couldn't break our encryption, but they had figured out who would be talking to whom, and it was a standard Soviet tactic to claim to be merely exercising and then actually go to war.

So when they got an indication that the execution order had been given, they started opening ICBM silos, deploying mobile nuclear forces, and flushing their boomers out of the sub bases.

You read articles about ABLE ARCHER 83 online, including a quite good Wikipedia article. But none of them mention the fact that we had four days of sheer terror. We had faith that someone was trying to talk the Soviets back from the edge, but in the SAC Underground Command Post, we were preparing for nuclear war as furiously as we could. Everything that had been an exercise before was suddenly the real deal. The generals' faces were as gray as concrete.

So in these days, the big thing that scares me is that Kim Jong Un probably does believe everything Trump says--he probably truly believes that Trump has actually made the decision to attack...it's just a matter of time. And that is dangerous. It makes it all too likely that some one over there is going to overreach, afraid of being the one who didn't react in time.

Fascinating post, thank you for sharing.

Am studying security and focusing on WMDs, do you mind if I PM you at a later point to talk about this? Always interesting to talk to people who were on the ground (or underground) during these things.

Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic

You should honestly write a book about this.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Dude, write a book. Not being sarcastic, I would read it.

Or if you dont trust your writing abilities, get a ghost writer and tell them your stories.

Dude if trump can do it anybody can.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟489,034.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Dude, write a book. Not being sarcastic, I would read it.

Or if you dont trust your writing abilities, get a ghost writer and tell them your stories.

Dude if trump can do it anybody can.
I wonder if this is even declassified.

But yeah. I might just read that, too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums