Having a problem flashing my BIOS.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Ok so I've been around computers since I was seven years old back in the Early 90s. But one skill I never learned and was never taught to me was how to flash a BIOS so I always just used the BIOS the motherboard came in with. Something I realize now is an extremely stupid thing to do and I should have learned back then. I had heard of it I just never bothered with it. Well now thanks to ASUS's EZ-Flash tool I've learned how to do it because it's very easy. You stick the BIOS file onto a flash drive, select it in ASUS'S EZ-Flash tool and wait. Done. Lol.

Well, I've succeeded in flashing this motherboard at least 6 times since buying it last year, but the last two BIOS versions in a row have been causing me problems. You can see what motherboard I'm using in the Relevant Specs but ASUS has released two new BIOS versions within the last month for my motherboard. The first new version seemed to flash okay but after it said "Flash successful please reboot your computer" my computer wouldn't POST at all and I gave it at least 30 minutes.

I had to turn off my computer, and turn it on again (Something ASUS doesn't tell you to do but what other choice did I have?) for it to finally POST and work correctly. It was very bizzare. Well the same thing is happening with the newest version of their BIOS (V2004 I believe). It's an update that I want because I might consider upgrading to 11th gen when it comes out next month and it has an update for my RTX 3k series card. But instead, It's permanently not POSTing at all. I tried clearing my CMOS and tried flashing again but it doesn't work at all, I've tried flashing it at least 3 or 4 different times so I'm stuck with the previous version. I don't know what it could possibly be. Any help? Maybe someone could teach me the manual way of doing this instead of using a 3rd party tool?

Relevant Specs:

ASUS Z490-F motherboard
Intel Core i9 10850k
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
Other Samsung SSD that's SATA and old. 800 series I think? I just use it and have it in my computer because I bought it back in 2012 or so and I might as well. Sometimes I put games on it depending on how much space I have on my main SSD.

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Have you removed and reseated the battery?

Yeah I had to do that to clear the CMOS. I don't like how mobos today require you to jump the jumper with a screwdriver. Far too nervous to do that. So I just removed the battery waited 5 minutes and put it back in. So much easier the old fashioned way :p.

After I cleared the CMOS I tried another 2-3 times and couldn't get it to flash. It would say flash successful, reboot and not POST.

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Yeah I had to do that to clear the CMOS. I don't like how mobos today require you to jump the jumper with a screwdriver. Far too nervous to do that. So I just removed the battery waited 5 minutes and put it back in. So much easier the old fashioned way :p.

After I cleared the CMOS I tried another 2-3 times and couldn't get it to flash. It would say flash successful, reboot and not POST.
I jump mine every time I take all the cables out or unscrew it. If I’ve done any damage, I probably wouldn’t be able to tell. I’ve never removed the CMOS before, but I’d imagine jumping would be a lot easier.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
When all fails start from nothing and add everything slowly. It is possible that a device you have is either failing or marginal or the new bios code is not totally compatible with it. It is also possible that you have a bad memory stick that when it starts filling up hits a point where it fails, swapping in a different stick in its place often can diagnose it as a problem. There can be a combination of devices that don't work well with some bios codes too I've heard and the bios on those devices may have an update to fix that issue you could look to see if there is mention of a fix dealing with your problem on the respective websites.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ok so I've been around computers since I was seven years old back in the Early 90s. But one skill I never learned and was never taught to me was how to flash a BIOS so I always just used the BIOS the motherboard came in with. Something I realize now is an extremely stupid thing to do and I should have learned back then. I had heard of it I just never bothered with it. Well now thanks to ASUS's EZ-Flash tool I've learned how to do it because it's very easy. You stick the BIOS file onto a flash drive, select it in ASUS'S EZ-Flash tool and wait. Done. Lol.

Well, I've succeeded in flashing this motherboard at least 6 times since buying it last year, but the last two BIOS versions in a row have been causing me problems. You can see what motherboard I'm using in the Relevant Specs but ASUS has released two new BIOS versions within the last month for my motherboard. The first new version seemed to flash okay but after it said "Flash successful please reboot your computer" my computer wouldn't POST at all and I gave it at least 30 minutes.

I had to turn off my computer, and turn it on again (Something ASUS doesn't tell you to do but what other choice did I have?) for it to finally POST and work correctly. It was very bizzare. Well the same thing is happening with the newest version of their BIOS (V2004 I believe). It's an update that I want because I might consider upgrading to 11th gen when it comes out next month and it has an update for my RTX 3k series card. But instead, It's permanently not POSTing at all. I tried clearing my CMOS and tried flashing again but it doesn't work at all, I've tried flashing it at least 3 or 4 different times so I'm stuck with the previous version. I don't know what it could possibly be. Any help? Maybe someone could teach me the manual way of doing this instead of using a 3rd party tool?

Relevant Specs:

ASUS Z490-F motherboard
Intel Core i9 10850k
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
Other Samsung SSD that's SATA and old. 800 series I think? I just use it and have it in my computer because I bought it back in 2012 or so and I might as well. Sometimes I put games on it depending on how much space I have on my main SSD.

I have an ASUS unit I built myself from components (with SSD). I remember updating BIOS when I first got it, but haven't bothered to see if there are updates, since it works fine for what I'm using it for, and see no need to update even if there was was a new version.

One thing about "rebooting," there are 3 different types of reboots. (1) the traditional ctrl-alt-del, (2) restart, and (3) power cycle. All 3 start at a different place in bios. If I update bios, I either use the provided restart function, if available, or power cycle if the restart function is not available. Also, "restart" might be the same as power cycle, depending on what the bios programmers did with it.

See if there is an MD5 code for the BIOS download, in order to check the accuracy of your downloaded file. Also, you might try a different brand USB drive.

Is your mobo still in warranty? If so, then I'd say flash the last bios that works and use that until you get an answer from technical support. Tell them your situation and give details, and be prepared to send them some data files. If not, then your only recourse is to google "Z490 BIOS update not working" and read info until you see something relevant.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I have an ASUS unit I built myself from components (with SSD). I remember updating BIOS when I first got it, but haven't bothered to see if there are updates, since it works fine for what I'm using it for, and see no need to update even if there was was a new version.

One thing about "rebooting," there are 3 different types of reboots. (1) the traditional ctrl-alt-del, (2) restart, and (3) power cycle. All 3 start at a different place in bios. If I update bios, I either use the provided restart function, if available, or power cycle if the restart function is not available. Also, "restart" might be the same as power cycle, depending on what the bios programmers did with it.

See if there is an MD5 code for the BIOS download, in order to check the accuracy of your downloaded file. Also, you might try a different brand USB drive.

Is your mobo still in warranty? If so, then I'd say flash the last bios that works and use that until you get an answer from technical support. Tell them your situation and give details, and be prepared to send them some data files. If not, then your only recourse is to google "Z490 BIOS update not working" and read info until you see something relevant.

Thank you. I got a hold of ASUS and they said that the latest BIOS versions are quite buggy and a finalized version should be released within the month.

Upvote 0