Hockey_Fan

Man of Mystery
Jan 3, 2009
✟9,002.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Ok, so it seems lately everytime I turn around, someone I know is getting married (or has recently gotten married). Often its people I met as singles. I was friends but never really pressed for a deeper relationship.

On one hand, I'm happy for them. On the other, I wonder about myself. As the years tick by and my personal window of opportunity gets smaller and smaller, I wonder "What did so-and-so see in someone else and not in me?"

Anyone else experience the same sort of feelings?

JasperJackson

Sinner and Saint
Dec 31, 2007
Adelaide
✟16,893.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Yeah I'm noticing that too. Lots of people getting engaged at the moment. Not necessarily people I was interested in but it still gets to me.

I know you know this but it's worth saying. Wallowing in self-pity won't help.

When I've been married for 20 years I'll probably be a much better husband than when I first get married. And its gonna take work to get there. So why not start now!? Why not try and get ready and work on those aspects of myself that will be needed once I'm married. It can only make my (eventual) marriage even better! Anyway, that's what I'm trying to do to stop singleness getting to me.

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I've felt that way before. :hug: It's hard to go through. And often you feel alone going through those feelings, but I think it's pretty common for most that have been single awhile. What always helped me was to count my blessings. I may not have had what I wanted but I would consciously list all the things that I was thankful for that i did have in my life.

Upvote 0

joolsonline

Mar 20, 2005
The Shire
✟17,364.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Sorry to hear that you're feeling that way Hockey_Fan. :hug:

There was a time in my life where I felt the same, until someone encouraged me with hope and mentioned along the lines of... your time will come when you will be with someone that makes you happy, when God sees fit that we are ready in God's timing.

Interestingly, the encouragement can be seen from two angles - one being as a discouragement in that that time may not come to us at all, and that reality is present in the back of the mind, but on a personal note, I have found it encouraging, because in my own life, I am more focused to get my own life sorted out, before I am given further responsibility to love and finance an extended family. I not only want a dear Christian wife, but I want kids too.

There is a time and place for such things, but be encouraged and make the best of your days of being single. I'm equally amused, by those who ARE married and juggling with work and kids, that they wish they were single with the freedom that we are blessed with. Either way, it is a blessing! :)

Jools ;)

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok, so it seems lately everytime I turn around, someone I know is getting married (or has recently gotten married). Often its people I met as singles. I was friends but never really pressed for a deeper relationship.

On one hand, I'm happy for them. On the other, I wonder about myself. As the years tick by and my personal window of opportunity gets smaller and smaller, I wonder "What did so-and-so see in someone else and not in me?"

It is especially hard in Christian circles. All the people I knew back from college are now getting married, having babies, starting life, etc. And I am struggling to get on my feet. It is a very hard thing to deal with for me.

Grrr...why do so many christians have to get married so young? Putting pressure on the rest of us! :p

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yep, it happens to me every few weeks it seems.

In fact, one of my best lady friends in high school, with whom I fell in love afterward, married a guy based on the fact that he was "exactly like [me] in pretty much every way". I never asked her why, then, she chose him and not me because I figured that either she would be unable to answer, or her answer would hurt too much. Now I wish I had. But then, I suspect it came down to looks. He was physically fit and I'm not. And given the choice between someone who is "just like me" except that he is also good looking, and me, of course I'm not going to win that contest. Nor do I think it would make sense for me to suspect otherwise, or to be bitter about it. It still stings though.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Out of millions of people, we are always going to find times that people are getting married, divorced, maybe both at the same time...probably that at best.

Just a fact of life.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Maybe I am bad for saying this but when someone tells me they are engaged or they get married they are functionally dead to me because its not like they have any more time for friends, they have a spouse now. Not that I expect 100% dedication from a married friend, the opposite in fact, that's why I consider them not a key part of my life.

Reactions: Scott Bauer
Upvote 0

broken_one

Fear is but something to be overcome.
Jun 5, 2008
✟22,438.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Maybe I am bad for saying this but when someone tells me they are engaged or they get married they are functionally dead to me because its not like they have any more time for friends, they have a spouse now. Not that I expect 100% dedication from a married friend, the opposite in fact, that's why I consider them not a key part of my life.

I know, man! It's so tough though losing all those friends....it's almost as if they, yeah, like died or something.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

natsipoo

Aug 14, 2007
✟7,616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I see it all the time. It doesn't help that I've also dealt with several unexpected deaths recently. Every now and then I think that for all I know this could be my last day on earth and I would have died without ever experiencing marriage and a family of my own in this life.
I'm happy for my friends but still...

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Only had one friend who was married so far, eh I didn't care.

I'll probably be one of those guys in his late twenties who still hasn't found a special someone and ends up marrying a girl for the heck of it.

Upvote 0

waves16

don't provoke the beavers
Dec 20, 2010
Canada
✟17,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I know exactly what you mean! One of my closest friends just got engaged, and my other best friend had a baby. In fact, it seems every time I check my facebook all my friends are posting baby and wedding pictures. And I'm only 19!
I know I'm too young to get married, but it still feels like everybody is moving on with their lives while I'm stuck here!

Upvote 0

allykelly07

Rachel
Sep 14, 2012
Fort Garland, CO
✟989.00
Faith
Christian
I just want to encourage you guys with some verses that I have thought about a lot. In 1 corinthians Paul said that it is better not to marry, because a married person is fixed on how they can please their spouse, and an unmarried person, is fixed on pleasing the Lord. But if someone burns with passion,, it is better to be married.

It is hard sometimes, because I battle back and forth with being married, or not, but I have come to a point to where I would rather wait until God brings me someone that I know I am supposed to marry, and if that person never comes, then I know that I can do without. So I will walk in Christ either way, and seize every opportunity for the gospel. I want my eyes fixed on Christ, daily living by the spirit, so that if that time comes, I will know that he loves God and will help me along in Christ, rather than hinder.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jess9450

Sep 17, 2012
In the land of ice and snow
✟10,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
whoa, hello zombie thread :) it's amusing when these things come back out of nowhere...

For the OP, if he still cares :p, yes I have struggled with this. Much more recently than before. My entire family, extended members included, are all in relationships or are married. It made for a rather uncomfortable family Christmas gathering this year, that's for sure. I'm starting to notice couples around me sooo much more than before, and it just leaves me feeling depressed to be single. This month is apparently one of the most depressing of the year, and I'll be sure to keep a low profile around V-day if I'm still single

Upvote 0