Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
RealityCheck said:
Why doesn't Hebrew have any vowels?
At first they did not have vowels, they were added later. They were added before homer wrote the iliad & the odyssey. I have been doing a little bit of a study on language and linguistics. Before DNA it was one of the most powerful tools we had. Along with archeology, the study of fossils we have a much better understanding of history, creation and beginnings.

I am most interested in the transition from when written language, civilization and farming first began. This is something Bryan Sykes talks about in the way he uses DNA to help us better understand the beginning of the world as it is today.

Upvote 0

Baggins

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
At Sea
✟14,982.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
JohnR7's argument doesn't hold water because ACGT stands for

Atheist Cause God Todisappear

I thought everyone knew that.

It also lucky that god speaks english, just imagine if he spoke chinese ( which you've got to imagine would be more rational considering the numbers of them ), what would we make of squiggle squiggle squiggle squiggle instead of ACGT?

But then anyone who knows anything knows god is english anyway. I think he lives outside Tunbridge Wells.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I_Love_Cheese said:
Now is a place, where is it?
Have you been there?
The discussion about God's leadership is not really a discussion for the evolution creation board. But as long as you bring it up. There were three items in the Ark of the Covenant. The manna, Aarons Rod that budded and the Ten commandments. These are the three areas where man's rebellion against God is centered. May has rejected God's provision, God's leadership and God's law. The subject of headship can be a very controversial one.

1 Cor. 11:3
But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

The capital Letter T represents that those who are upright before God have made put Him in a position of leadership or made Him the "head" I was just explaining a little bit of what the letter T represented.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
JohnR7 said:
I am no expert, but I just ran a quick search and the only thing the artical said was they do not distinguish between short and long vowel sounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_language

Vowel sounds, sure, but the discussion is about the alphabet, which is a written form; it is a set of characters. And the Hebrew alphabet doesn't have characters for vowels. Just as our english alphabet doesn't have a character for the 'th' sound or the 'sh' sound.

Upvote 0

arensb

Jun 17, 2006
Visit site
✟22,175.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
JohnR7 said:
DNA code is made up of ACGT. The A here is the first letter in the alphabet. It is the beginning and DNA is also the beginning of everthing that is living. C stands for Christians. It is the Christians that are here to deliver God's message to the world. G of course stands for God. It is God who is expressing Himself in the DNA and thus God is expressing Himself in Creation. The T of course expresses God and the head or in His leadership over man.
Actually, A, C, G, T, and U are abbreviations for adenine, cytosine, guanine, thymine, and uracil, respectively. Biologists use these abbreviations because it's easier than spelling out the name of the nucleotide each time, and because the structure of DNA and RNA is such that a sequence of letters gives a biologist a fairly good idea of what the molecule represented by the letters looks like.

A few minutes with the online OED revealed that "adenine" comes from the Greek "aden" meaning "gland"; "cytosine" comes from the Greek "kitos", meaning "receptacle", but now used a prefix meaning "cell"; "guanine" comes from "guano"; "thymine" comes from "thymus gland" via Greek; "uracil" derives from "urea", which also gives us "urine".

In short, your entire "theory" is an elaborate bit of wordplay that depends on the fact that one of the components of DNA is named after a gland which happens to have a Greek name beginning with alpha, which in English is transliterated as an A. The explanation for T makes no sense, because "thymus" in Greek is spelled with a theta, which happens to be translitereated into English as "th". Oh, and your hypothesis also hinges on the fact that in English, the word "God" begins with the same letter as a word meaning "bird feces".

Do you also read tea leaves?

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
RealityCheck said:
And FYI - the Phoenicians did not invent Phonics.
They invented the first alphabet, some people think the first city where the alphabet was used was in Byblos, where we get our word Bible from. Later their alphabet was used for Hebrew, Greek, Latin and so on.
Byblos is one of the richest archaeological areas in Lebanon and the world, it is one of the top contenders for the oldest inhabited city award. Modern scholars say the site of Byblos goes back more than 10000 years. Its name was the origin of the Greek word "biblion" which means "book", giving us hence "bibliography" and "Bible”.http://www.lgic.org/en/photos2_byblos.php

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RealityCheck

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2006
New York
✟23,538.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
JohnR7 said:
They invented the first alphabet, some people think the first city where the alphabet was used was in Byblos, where we get our word Bible from. Later their alphabet was used for Hebrew, Greek, Latin and so on.

Dig deeper:

The history of the alphabet starts in ancient Egypt. By 2700 BCE the Egyptians had developed a set of some 22 hieroglyphs to represent the individual consonants of their language, plus a 23rd that seems to have represented word-initial or word-final vowels. These glyphs were used as pronunciation guides for logograms, to write grammatical inflections, and, later, to transcribe loan words and foreign names. However, although alphabetic in nature, the system was not used for purely alphabetic writing. The first purely alphabetic script is thought to have been developed around 2000 BCE for Semitic workers in central Egypt. Over the next five centuries it spread north, and all subsequent alphabets around the world have either descended from it, or been inspired by one of its descendants, with the possible exception of the Meroitic alphabet, a 3rd century BCE adaptation of hieroglyphs in Nubia to the south of Egypt.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
arensb said:
Do you also read tea leaves?
That would be the Chinese. We are talking about the Hebrews and the meaning they assign to the letters of the Alphabet.

0899061931.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
RealityCheck said:
The first purely alphabetic script is thought to have been developed around 2000 BCE for Semitic workers in central Egypt.
You do know that Semitic means Hebrew. So the study of linguistics shows that the Hebrew children were in Egypt in 2000 bc. That is why we need to study linguistics along with the DNA evidence to see what was going on back then.

Upvote 0

RealityCheck

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2006
New York
✟23,538.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
JohnR7 said:
You do know that Semitic means Hebrew. So the study of linguistics shows that the Hebrew children were in Egypt in 2000 bc. That is why we need to study linguistics along with the DNA evidence to see what was going on back then.
No, Semitic does not mean Hebrew. Try again.

Upvote 0
R

Romanseight2005

I grew up learning about evolution only. Sure as a child, a book was read to me depicting Adam and Eve, but it was a story. In spite of all of this, I have never bought into evolution. When I got older, and God literally came to get me, I began to read His word again and it came alive. It is no contest for me, I have no problem believing that the God of this universe can create anything in 6 days. I do however have trouble believing that things just evolved with no design to their makeup. I have even bigger problems with TE, because the very nature of evolution is in complete opposition to scripture. The Bible says that sin caused death. Evolution says death causes life. See the conflict?

By the way, I am not going to get into a long argument. I simply wanted to give my 2 cents in an evolution dominated thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

steen

Lie Detector
Jun 13, 2006
South Dakota
✟9,384.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romanseight2005 said:
I have even bigger problems with TE, because the very nature of evolution is in complete opposition to scripture.
False.

The Bible says that sin caused death. Evolution says death causes life. See the conflict?
I see misrepresentation.

Upvote 0

Baggins

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
At Sea
✟14,982.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Romanseight2005 said:
I have no problem believing that the God of this universe can create anything in 6 days.

In that case you must also believe that he doesn't mind lying, because the record he left of the creation in the rocks of the earth destroys the biblical 6 day hypothesis.

They can't both be right, so which one is a lie?

Do you believe a book written and edited by men, or do you believe the history written in the rocks of the earth?

Reactions: tocis
Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
arensb said:
Also, ATCG stands for "Anything That Contradicts Genesis", which explains why creationists are opposed to science.
Nothing contradicts Genesis and creationists are not opposed to science. A lot of creationists like Wise, Schroeder, Ross and so on, have Phd's in science.

Upvote 0