Kahalachan

Eidolon Hunter
Jan 5, 2006
✟8,369.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is all I ask. Have you read both sides of the issue and derived your own conclusion?

Or have you listened to someone at church and gained all your information about evolution there? Have you gone to a biology class and thought Creationism is silly without reading Genesis?

As for me.........

I have read the Bible twice, some Christian books, Christian sites about Creationism.

I have read the Origin of the Species, biological textbooks, and viewed sites explaining evolution.

Grengor

GrenAce
May 10, 2005
Oakley, California
✟18,998.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Republican
Yes I've made an informed choice. I originally held YEC in much higher esteem than I do currently. But there is a huge difference between reading Genesis and taking a Biology class. Not just the amount of information, but the class would give explanations with examples as to what they just told you, and you'd be able to look under a microscope to see for yourself. Genesis can't say the same thing.

Upvote 0

Asimov

Objectivist
Sep 9, 2003
White Rock
✟7,455.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
CA-Others
Kahalachan said:
This is all I ask. Have you read both sides of the issue and derived your own conclusion?

Or have you listened to someone at church and gained all your information about evolution there? Have you gone to a biology class and thought Creationism is silly without reading Genesis?

As for me.........

I have read the Bible twice, some Christian books, Christian sites about Creationism.

I have read the Origin of the Species, biological textbooks, and viewed sites explaining evolution.

Creationism isn't the "other side of the coin" for Evolution.

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
On creationism/ID:

I've read Genesis (and other books of the Bible), two books on ID, and one on creationism. Plus, I've read countless articles on creationism and ID (mostly from ICR and AiG), watched an ID video and all of Kent Hovind's video seminars.

On evolution:

I've taken two university courses with material relating to evolution (one on paleontology, one on human evolution and genetics), read at least 6-8 books (inc. chunks of Evolutionary Biology, 3rd Edition, a college level textbook), read countless web articles (mainly from T.O.), at least two dozen journal papers, and other articles in science magazines.

So yeah, I would say I've made an informed choice..

Upvote 0

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
I did not make 'a choice' at all. Everything that I have read and heard has led me to the conclusion that evolution is the best explanation for what we see around us. I never chose to conclude that.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adriac

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
✟16,437.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Chrono Traveler said:
Not even close to enough.

What about Evolution?

Well, actually, if you're looking for evidence that ID is a creationist showboat run by used car salesmen and based on total ignorance (on one side) and misrepresentation (on the other) of science, you could hardly do better than the esteemed Mr. Hovind.

Upvote 0

Chrono Traveler

Aug 28, 2004
✟8,771.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Adriac said:
Well, actually, if you're looking for evidence that ID is a creationist showboat run by used car salesmen and based on total ignorance (on one side) and misrepresentation (on the other) of science, you could hardly do better than the esteemed Mr. Hovind.

Well of course. But as far as actually researching both sides..then no =p

Hovind seems to be quick, which I think is one reason why so many people believe him, even so I still see him dodge so many questions. Sigh, too bad people wont actuallly LISTEN to both sides.

Upvote 0

Chrono Traveler

Aug 28, 2004
✟8,771.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Jan87676 said:
Why should I?

Evolution is false. Period. :wave:

I find it sad that you seem to not even be able to bring yourself to research a little more on the other side.

I guess no one wants to know just to know anymore. Or maybe some people are afraid of it shattering their faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
David Gould said:
I did not make 'a choice' at all. Everything that I have read and heard has led me to the conclusion that evolution is the best explanation for what we see around us. I never chose to conclude that.

I think David Gould expressed my POV perfectly. There never was a moment or time of concious choice. I went to church, that's where I learned about Jesus and God. I had books on dinosaurs - none of which had people riding or herding them. When I was in elementary school I remember watching a movie on the Leakey discoveries in Africa (1960s/70s stuff). When I was twelve I watched Cosmos which devoted a whole episode to evolution. And I was still going to church.

To make a long story short, it wasn't until I was in my mid-20s that I even became aware of Creationists or that anyone thought the world was only 6,000 years old.

As for resources:
High School Biology.
Creationism - lots of tracts, Hovinds seminar vol. 1, a couple of books including my now missing copy of Bones of Contention :mad:, and about 8 years of websites offered up by Creationists.
Evolution - Things like I mentioned above, a couple of books, more than enough Talk Origins, plus news of new discoveries as they are made every day.

For me it's pretty simple, either the theory of evolution is valid or biology, paleontology, geology and related fields simply shouldn't function... and yet they do, magnificently.

Upvote 0

Hydra009

bel esprit
Oct 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
✟18,036.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Chrono Traveler said:
I find it sad that you seem to not even be able to bring yourself to research a little more on the other side.
Electric Skeptic said:
What a tragedy that an otherwise rational person would say such a thing :(
As an aside, Jan isn't serious. Probably.

Upvote 0

tocis

Warrior of Thor
Jul 29, 2004
Northern Germany
✟10,966.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Kahalachan said:

Yup.

Or rather, I gave creationism and ID the chance to present their best arguments, and found that there are no arguments. Everything scientifically-minded people and groups claimed about creationists I found confirmed. Everything creationists claimed about science I found wrong, and often painfully so.

The decision was clear.

Upvote 0