Have congressional Democrats lost their mind?

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

Even better hear his own words.

Oh, right, because he said "I hope" and it wasn't a direct "you do this" order, that is fine. Because when my boss tells me "I hope you can have that report done by the end of the week", he isn't telling me to have it done by the end of the week. He's hoping it can somehow get done.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We should understand that the president asking to stop the investigation of Flynn is not illegal. Trump could simply have pardoned Flynn from all prosecution (which might have been reasonable given his sensitive position in the administration).

This one act is certainly not an impeachable offense to 3/4 of the Senate. Trump had every right to fire Cuomy for any reason at all, including that he simply didn't like the way he testified, and wanted his own FBI chief. Of course, that is NOT a reason for Cuomy to even consider Trump's requests. He should have immediately said no, and offered his resignation if Trump persisted. Cuomy tried to act on his own in 2016 and then in 2017. The FBI has its protocols for very good reasons.

In any case, the Senate intelligence committee will continue to investigate, and I trust their judgement. Impeachment would likely need to wait until 2019 with Democratic House, unless Trump was clearly involved and lies under oath. The fact that he has lied so many times with regard to meeting with Russia by his troops is NOT a criminal offense for a politician, or even high crimes and misdemeanors.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
We should understand that the president asking to stop the investigation of Flynn is not illegal. Trump could simply have pardoned Flynn from all prosecution (which might have been reasonable given his sensitive position in the administration).

This one act is certainly not an impeachable offense to 3/4 of the Senate. Trump had every right to fire Cuomy for any reason at all, including that he simply didn't like the way he testified, and wanted his own FBI chief. Of course, that is NOT a reason for Cuomy to even consider Trump's requests. He should have immediately said no, and offered his resignation if Trump persisted. Cuomy tried to act on his own in 2016 and then in 2017. The FBI has its protocols for very good reasons.

In any case, the Senate intelligence committee will continue to investigate, and I trust their judgement. Impeachment would likely need to wait until 2019 with Democratic House, unless Trump was clearly involved and lies under oath. The fact that he has lied so many times with regard to meeting with Russia by his troops is NOT a criminal offense for a politician, or even high crimes and misdemeanors.

To note, however, if the Democrats somehow gained a supermajority in the House and Senate, they could impeach Trump for whatever reason they decide. It could be political suicide to do so, but Congress is the ultimate judge in what constitutes an impeachable act.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, right, because he said "I hope" and it wasn't a direct "you do this" order, that is fine. Because when my boss tells me "I hope you can have that report done by the end of the week", he isn't telling me to have it done by the end of the week. He's hoping it can somehow get done.

Innuendo is not proof, his direct answer to the query is.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Glad you guys are finally admitting that the Russia thing is the new Birther movement. :ok:

Indeed -- yet another brouhaha that Trump is in the middle of that he wishes the world would just forget...

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
To note, however, if the Democrats somehow gained a supermajority in the House and Senate, they could impeach Trump for whatever reason they decide. It could be political suicide to do so, but Congress is the ultimate judge in what constitutes an impeachable act.

Yes, this is indeed true.

However 3/4 of the Senate is virtually impossible. That's what it takes to convict.

With regard to impeachment (the House voting charges to send to Senate), that takes a simple majority, likely after the 2018 elections, and therefore when the new Congress is seated in 2019. With regard to the House choosing to set the bar wherever they want, lying about sex was the impeachment charge for Clinton. He was impeached and found not guilty by the Senate.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
:mmh: The Birther thing started with Hillary during the primaries.

You still enjoy that narrative, don't you? Trump is totally innocent of that one as well, I suppose?

Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
:mmh: The Birther thing started with Hillary during the primaries.

Incorrect. Some Hillary supporters anonymously circulated the rumor AFTER it showed up a month earlier on the questionable site FreeRepublic. It was then picked up, elaborated upon, and posted on Ruthless Roundup, a conservative blog, about 4 days later.

And then Trump went in with both feet, thundering the nonsense from his golden throne, because of COURSE he did.

So, if you want FULL accuracy, Freepers started it, some idiots spread it, and then Trump ran with it.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
You still enjoy that narrative, don't you? Trump is totally innocent of that one as well, I suppose?

Where did I say that? You realize that they were besties until they both decided they wanted to be president and their egos clashed, right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Incorrect. Some Hillary supporters anonymously circulated the rumor AFTER it showed up a month earlier on the questionable site FreeRepublic. It was then picked up, elaborated upon, and posted on Ruthless Roundup, a conservative blog, about 4 days later.

And then Trump went in with both feet, thundering the nonsense from his golden throne, because of COURSE he did.

So, if you want FULL accuracy, Freepers started it, some idiots spread it, and then Trump ran with it.

We could compare all the statements made by Trump and by Clinton with regard to Obama's birth certificate and place of birth. We could note content and date. The result of such an investigation would shed light on the nature of each candidate's beliefs and actions.

Certainly, by 2009 almost everyone agreed, well except those who don't believe that we landed on the moon (conspiracy theorists). We might investigate all of Trump's statements since 2011 (the beginning of that presidential campaign). BTW, when did Trump finally agree that Obama was born in the US (in 2016 as I recall)

Even if there was any doubt in 2008 (which there wasn't), the doubt was removed in 2009.

This is repeating theme for Trump. After all, climate change is a Chinese hoax. Again, there have been many differences of opinion. all but a very small percentage of scientist now agree. Trump remains among the conspiracy theorists.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Where did I say that? You realize that they were besties until they both decided they wanted to be president and their egos clashed, right?

Right -- Of course, it would help if there was actual evidence of Hillary Clinton embracing birtherism... best anyone can come up with was someone in her campaign floating the idea, which she never used. so, best case scenario, Trump ran with an unoriginal thought, and his loyal followers still want to squawk "Hillary started it!" as if it were 1. true and 2. relevant.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Right -- Of course, it would help if there was actual evidence of Hillary Clinton embracing birtherism... best anyone can come up with was someone in her campaign floating the idea, which she never used. so, best case scenario, Trump ran with an unoriginal thought, and his loyal followers still want to squawk "Hillary started it!" as if it were 1. true and 2. relevant.

You sound rather upset. Do like I did and take a week off.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Even better hear his own words.

yeah i mean, not like when a mafia don says, "I hope nothing bad happens to your family while your testifying against us." he didn't directly say, "Were going to kill your family."

and it's pretty much proven to be a direct threat, when shortly after that he fires him. Pretty obvious it was intimidation.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Nah -- Trump triumphs when good men do nothing.

No one is good except God alone, which means that the likes of you and I can take vacation when we want.

Also, um... how is posting on this board going to defeat Trump? :mmh:

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No one is good except God alone, which means that the likes of you and I can take vacation when we want.

Now that sounds like a complete abdication of personal responsibility...

Also, um... how is posting on this board going to defeat Trump? :mmh:

How is not posting going to accomplish anything?

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status