Have congressional Democrats lost their mind?

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I disagree.

I think that the country function well from 1980-2000. And I don't think that the populace was that more informed.

What we see now, because of the internet and 24 news channels, is much more exposure to those less informed but loud.

I think the problem today might be that the populace is misinformed due to easy access to wrong information via the Internet.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟838,804.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not sure if the situation has ever been tested, but one could argue that the stated offenses do not rise to the level of high crimes and misdemeanors, and I *think* that sort of thing would full under the USSC's area of influence.

That the thing about impeachment. It's treading some new ground, because it hasn't been fully implemented before.

The law and precedents are very clear. The House can impeach when they find that "high crimes and misdemeanors" have been committed. It is totally up the House to decide for themselves the definition of these words. After charges are formally brought before the House, the House decided whether the conditions/definitions have been met. If over 50% of those voting agree and the president is thereby impeached. The case is then brought before the Senate, where 75% of those voting is needed for conviction. There is no appeal.

Of course, in order for anything to come the floor, the Speaker must agree to bring it to the floor. So, it is unlikely to come to the Senate before 2019. However, I should note that a Republican House was about to impeach Nixon when he resigned.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: EpiscipalMe
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟838,804.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think the problem today might be that the populace is misinformed due to easy access to wrong information via the Internet.

In the early elections, misinformation was brought to the public through leaflets, and in newspapers. Bad information isn't new, especially in presidential politics. As far as the meanness of elections, our elections don't come close to those in the first century of our republic. Of course, since WWII we have had a much higher standard.

Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
In the early elections, misinformation was brought to the public through leaflets, and in newspapers. Bad information isn't new, especially in presidential politics. As far as the meanness of elections, our elections don't come close to those in the first century of our republic. Of course, since WWII we have had a much higher standard.

I think part of the problem is that you can kind of choose the reality you want to accept these days. It's a lot easier to isolate yourself in a worldview - no matter how crazy your opinions are, you can find someone who shares them. A lot of people. You can converse with them and make videos and create your own little sphere. Even if you're in a minority, you can make it so you don't feel like one.

• Agree
Reactions: EpiscipalMe
Upvote 0