Has Ellen Degeneres Opened Doors For Christians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
because of hurt feelings. She chose to go "snowflake"
I'm pretty sure the "snowflake" would be the person who thinks they're entitled to appear on someone's TV show regardless of their behavior. Most people learn at a very young age that words have consequences. People aren't obligated to put up with you. You're free to say what you want, but other people are free to decide that you aren't worth their time.

That being said, has Kim complained about the cancellation? It seems like you're just complaining on her behalf.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 6:16 ESV
Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?

I think posting scripture about judging others is more appropriate. I think Kim Burrell, as well as other Christians who feel smug enough to judge others when guilty of sin themselves, would benefit from reading what the bible says about judging others. And rudely calling homosexuals perverted is not a righteous judgment and it most certainly does not advance the Gospel.

Matthew 7:1-5: “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. 3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Romans 2:1-3: You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. 2 Now we know that God’s judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. 3 So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God’s judgment?

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
It is often claimed that the behaviour of (certain) Christians is what is responsible for atheism. This is (at least for me and a lot of others here) incorrect. The behaviour of Christians has nothing to do with the truth of Christian theology.

But the behaviour of (certain) Christians certainly doesn't do anything to make us consider Christianity as a force for love, good or morality in the world.

I don't think that this will give this type of Christians pause for thought... they "know" that they are correct, and this gives them the right to treat others in any mean way they want.

But I still have the hope that there are Christians out there who think the message of "love your neighbor as yourself" weights more than some bloody isrealite laws or "apostolic" commentaries.

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,331.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I think posting scripture about judging others is more appropriate. I think Kim Burrell, as well as other Christians who feel smug enough to judge others when guilty of sin themselves, would benefit from reading what the bible says about judging others. And rudely calling homosexuals perverted is not a righteous judgment and it most certainly does not advance the Gospel.

I can't count the number of times I've pointed out to a Christian that the way they're ministering to me or other atheists is actually hurting rather than helping their cause, only to be told that they don't actually lead someone to Jesus, the Holy Spirit does.

Which basically means that as long as they mention the Bible and Jesus, anything else goes. Walk up to a woman and call her a harlot? Fine, as long as the word "Jesus" is somewhere in the sentence. Then they can go home and do their Superior Dance...

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I can't count the number of times I've pointed out to a Christian that the way they're ministering to me or other atheists is actually hurting rather than helping their cause, only to be told that they don't actually lead someone to Jesus, the Holy Spirit does.
In this particular instance, it's not even the judgment of homosexuality that's bugging me. I mean, whatever. People like Kim are free to believe and say what they want. It's easy enough to ignore them, share our own views, and make sure we don't use our own resources to give them a platform. But OP is taking issue with THAT. Apparently, as long as the person is claiming to be speaking for Jesus, we're supposed to treat them like they're morally correct? We're not supposed to respond or protest? It's evil to boycott them or not give a voice to those views, supposedly. She's acting like slapping the term "Christian teaching" on something automatically makes it acceptable, and that it's wrong for anyone to question that.

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
MOD HAT ON
upload_2017-1-14_8-30-30.jpeg

Thread closed by request of OP

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
But they are being forced to endorse them by photographing them, flower arrangements, and baking wedding cakes.

Where was all the outcry from these people when they were forced to "endorse" remarriage of divorcees, adulterers, mixed-religion couples, and all of the other anti-Biblical customers they've had for generations? I don't remember there being a single case. This isn't about endorsing non-Biblical marriage. It is discrimination specifically targeted against gay people.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No, she has shown that if one does not agree with another's politics, the person does not need to be recognized.

Do you allow Muslims to preach in your church? If not, sounds like she's just following your church's example.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.