Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I actually prefer to not be in the clubs watching drunk men rub on drunk women. I prefer not passing out and actually being able to remember what I did the night before. I prefer not going to frat parties and see the drunken orgies. I prefer not being addicted to inappropriate content. I prefer not running from cops with my cousin.

Those things were fun for a season in my youth. Now they are marks of disgrace to me. I am so happy that when I was at my low, there were some Christians who showed me how you can have fun without doing all the depraved things out there. This is something I try to model to at-risk teenagers.

And really, I find my prior life to be so boring. Everyone is conforming to it! It is what they do week in, and week out. How much more can you get out of going to a night club or getting drunk? It is the same thing over and over, and it never gets any more fun.

Reactions: xBeex
Upvote 0

Sir Robbins

Waiting for Fall
Sep 28, 2012
Saint Augustine, FL
✟52,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
nothing makes you boring but your attitude. I do not do anything that society encourages and while that may come off as "boring" to some, others find it cool. I don't get out much honestly. I like to do things by myself and am pretty quiet so finding me in an enviroment like a club or the mall is a non-existant thing.

Upvote 0
All my life I have been rebellious and questioning and skeptical. I never did quite fit anywhere because I question and push boundaries. As a consequence in the past I explored pretty much all the bad things and for a long time I thought that was OK and real freedom. But at some point I realised it was sterile and missing the point. Very subtly, and I can't deny it might have been God helping it along, a string of strange coincidences led me to a whole new life. The most exhilarating rollercoaster of change. My rebelliousness has always taken "heretical" forms. Many wear blue jeans as a sort of rebellious badge, so in the company of "rebels" I will wear some smart trousers. On dress down Friday I put on a tie. Just contrariness? No. Those that think they are the freedom loving rebels are actually conforming to their uniform blue jeans. Christians are rebelling against the conformity of a society that has adopted some pretty awful moral values - find your own examples there is no shortage. I think if you consider the political situations of Biblical times, Christians were rebels then. Wearing a fish, meeting in secret. Herod tried mass extermination he was so afraid of the future that was coming. Boring? Hardly. Christian ideas and ideals, history and hope, faith in the face of fear, and confounding compassion mean it's almost impossible to be boring.
Christianity is just about as radical as it gets.
One of the many tiny coincidences that lit a fire of change in me was a tiny scrawled graffiti in Spain about six years ago. Many groups have a symbol they use - fish cross anarch swastika zeta peacesign linked-venus etc. There it was, a tiny protest, a little screaming "Hey what about us!". A linked venus and mars. What it meant was "Straight pride". Like so many symbols it unpacks meaning like a zipfile. Life family fun companionship complementarity contrast joy biology nature.
Who put it there? Some confused young guy fed up with being told by his gay friends that liking girls was wrong? I tell you, if you're in the gay scene and you realise you're not gay, your oh so tolerant gay friends will suddenly show they're not so tolerant or friends. Been there. Not I hasten to add because my realisation was associated with Christianity. This happened three years before I took any interest. My realisation was not prompted by any religious group nor sought by me. It just happened like a burden lifted from me unrequested. I can only pray that others experience it and see the world so clearly in a new light. It changes your whole perception and understanding.
So back to that symbol... I saw that graffiti and recognised a fellow traveller had passed that way. My heart leapt with joy. I mean the second I was that symbol for the very first time ever I grasped what it meant and my heart was full if joy. So who put it there? A confused young man? God so I would see it?
The graffiti was one thing in many things on a journey I am still on. The realisation and the change it brought is behind me, I have come a long way. But there are more positive changes on the road ahead I feel sure. Boring it is not. Boring Christians are not.

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I would not say Christ made me boring, I would say church culture led me to be afraid and negative and get everything backwards. And I made serious mistakes in seeing all the dark parts of the bible and none of the happy. And in a way, that made me boring.

As a christian, all I have ever seen from religious types is mostly judgment toward me and everyone else. No love, no fun, no happiness. So, on the one hand, I have beautiful Jesus, on the other, I have a group of people following him who are worse than the "world" that is supposedly so bad.

It confused me. There is everything I knew to be right and good and godly and loving--and I saw all that in God Jesus. But as a christian I have been tempted to be afraid and think bad of everything I know is beautiful and good and love. And almost all churches support this twisted reversal.

And then there is a church culture so twisted around that they are afraid of doing anything good because it might harm someone, so they do bad to help. And it took some time to stop listening and ignore everyone and make my own decisions. I've still got one foot in it and I'm asleep and blind, but I wake up more and more when Mr Rogers is called evil for saying nice things about children because that supposedly harms them. Call me radical.

Maybe I wouldn't have to go to a social club where some drunks are rubbing up against each other if the church culture had enough faith in its own people to hold a dance and social events. (they could teach country line dancing!!!) It isn't like the super-christians aren't flat out naked with each other when they aren't playing holy at church anyway! (but how dare a couple of drunks pretend like they are having sex) Even so, I think drinking is good and fun--and maybe it wouldn't be so bad if moderation was demonstrated instead of an either/or. And I like talking to girls--and guys. I like parties, games, art, special holidays that make people happy.

Honestly, I say things that are off because I'm feeling in the dark, but come on, now talking to girls is wrong? Oh wait, I have to say it in a judgmental tone to show I disagree with talking to girls. Stuff like that is my detector of bull.

I'm done with church culture. Done with being afraid of everything. I'm going to embrace the things I know are beautiful and good and lovely. I don't need a bible to see it--I see beauty in God and the bible because I already know what is good. So, I can see God Jesus is good. And I certainly am not going to trust the guidance of what is clearly a group of people who have it wrong and make everyone feel hated and unloved and afraid and unhappy and excluded.

Some christians are different. But they are radical, new christians, liberal, mental, rejected, etc. And I would rather follow them because they match the Jesus I know who broke such rules by his drinking at parties and talking to women. If it is good enough for God when he visited us, it is good enough for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

xBeex

Jun 12, 2009
✟15,358.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I actually prefer to not be in the clubs watching drunk men rub on drunk women. I prefer not passing out and actually being able to remember what I did the night before. I prefer not going to frat parties and see the drunken orgies. I prefer not being addicted to inappropriate content. I prefer not running from cops with my cousin.

Those things were fun for a season in my youth. Now they are marks of disgrace to me. I am so happy that when I was at my low, there were some Christians who showed me how you can have fun without doing all the depraved things out there. This is something I try to model to at-risk teenagers.

And really, I find my prior life to be so boring. Everyone is conforming to it! It is what they do week in, and week out. How much more can you get out of going to a night club or getting drunk? It is the same thing over and over, and it never gets any more fun.

I completely agree! When I was doing my volunteer placement, everyone there kept asking me if I had tried out the nightclub there and each time I would say that I am not interested in that sort of thing...that always resulted them in giving me a weird look as if I am strange. I have been clubbing a few times in the past but never enjoyed it that much, to me it is a hedonistic environment that actually left me feeling depressed at the state of some people. When I first started dating my now fiance, his friends only wanted to go clubbing and he went without me about 5 times which I was in no way happy with...I am still resentful over it now. Now he knows how I feel he doesn't do that any more but unfortunately his friends weren't understanding and didn't try and accommodate the change by doing something different with him. Clubbing was something that he never wanted to do that much.

Too many people my age are obsessed with the drinking culture, it is worrying that they need that sort of thrill.

Upvote 0

xBeex

Jun 12, 2009
✟15,358.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Honestly, I say things that are off because I'm feeling in the dark, but come on, now talking to girls is wrong?

In a nightclub, the only thing you will hear a guy saying to a girl is "do you want a drink?". A nightclub is the last place for conversation, that is why I don't like them. It is a place where a lot of people are trying to outdo each other. I feel worse after clubbing because it makes me see the worse in people - I would rather try and see the best in people. There is nothing wrong with having a drink and a party - but drunkenness is not recommended - everything in moderation is the key.

It would be great if there were more parties where dancing is not about trying to be sexual but instead about having fun (barn dance).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In a nightclub, the only thing you will hear a guy saying to a girl is "do you want a drink?". A nightclub is the last place for conversation, that is why I don't like them. It is a place where a lot of people are trying to outdo each other. I feel worse after clubbing because it makes me see the worse in people - I would rather try and see the best in people.

Wow, bad experience. I can see how you feel. Clubbing always reminded me of greek parties and strict churches. too much mask. I guess that would be strange if all there was in town were a few crowded loud dance clubs and church. We have a few more options. It changes around here quite a bit though. Yeah, when the atmosphere seems to be one of competition I can't say I really enjoy that. That happens really everywhere to some degree. I think what I don't like is when it is expected and not just an option. It almost seems like an exclusive group. (more mask) It doesn't have to be a danceclub to be people outdoing. I mean, it could be a coffee shop or a church like that too. It is still about trying to impress and compete with status, but the status symbol changes. So I get your meaning.

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Life can also be pretty fun if you just look for the right opportunity. I look forward to my church tomorrow and having dinner with some friends. And today we went to the grocery picking up peppers and trying wine and fancy cucumbers. It was great just talking with people and joking about getting drunk in the market. We talked about peppers. I like the atmosphere where there are people blocking the cabbages talking about their enjoyment of working in the yard. I like seeing all the creative ways people dress. And it is entertainnig to see girls checking out some guy looking at ribs.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2017
Virginia
✟15,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Has being a Christian made you boring?

I sometimes get the feel that being a Christian has made me pretty boring. A little background, I wasn’t really a Christian till around age 20/21 (it was a process and not an overnight thing). Before that I was more a Christian in name only. I would go to Church on Christmas and Easter and ya know do the whole Christian thing once in a while.

I was a fun person though. Girls though I was Charming, I could have fun and just do things everyday people do, without any guilt or conscience.

Then I became a Christian. The fun me sort of died cause all the things that are “Fun” sort of revolve around things God does not approve off. Well the Charming guy, who could talk to any girl and be all smooth and slick. Turned into the nice guy, who is amazingly boring? The fun guy turned into “well I don’t wanna do XYZ because its not what God wants”.

I just wonder sometimes if when people say “its tough to live a Christian life”. Do they mean its tough to be the only one not having fun? Then yes it is tough, its also tough when ya get so uninteresting that you start to bore yourself. This cant be all there is to being a Christian.

I need to get my groove or mojo back or whatever. But then again the only way I know how to get it back is to ignore What pleases God. It’s a weird point iv come to in my life.
I found this thread online and decided to make an account. This is exactly how I feel right now. Since June I have committed my life to Christ and immediately felt a high of fearlessness. Now I feel bored, lonely, plain, etc. It is starting to annoy me how boring I really have become. It's like I've lost myself in Christianity..

Upvote 0

Waddler

Live a story worth telling well.
Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟27,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I used to feel this way, until I learned there are things God disapproves of, and then there's things the church says God disapproves of. The latter has a longer list. I never found the appeal in being drunk or getting high (I've been both), and I've never had sex (though I'm guessing it's fun). Beyond those, I can't think of other things the world does that interests me and yet God disapproves of.

That is to say, 99% of "worldly" fun that interests me is stuff I enjoy doing as a Christian. I don't feel less fun or less interesting for being a Christian.

• Agree
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I found this thread online and decided to make an account. This is exactly how I feel right now. Since June I have committed my life to Christ and immediately felt a high of fearlessness. Now I feel bored, lonely, plain, etc. It is starting to annoy me how boring I really have become. It's like I've lost myself in Christianity..

By "boring" do you mean in terms of your lifestyle?

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Is it because there were things you used to do that you feel you can't do anymore because you are now a christian? Or is it because you feel you have to behave a certain way now that you are a christian?

Upvote 0

Waddler

Live a story worth telling well.
Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟27,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would say being a Christian who understands my faith has made me lonely. Not in a wallowing, pitiful way, but I don't easily fit in with other Christians like I used to. When I was going through the motions of my church culture without really thinking about it, I was miserable and probably very boring, though the church accepted me.

Now that I understand my faith, I find I unwittingly antagonize other Christians that I used to fit in with. I also don't fit in with the non-Christians who live the constant cycle of drinking and having sex at night, then going to work the next morning. It's been difficult to find my colony, in that regard, but I'm content, if not happy.

Upvote 0

PeachieKeen

Apr 24, 2017
Southwest
✟104,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say being a Christian who understands my faith has made me lonely. Not in a wallowing, pitiful way, but I don't easily fit in with other Christians like I used to. When I was going through the motions of my church culture without really thinking about it, I was miserable and probably very boring, though the church accepted me.

Now that I understand my faith, I find I unwittingly antagonize other Christians that I used to fit in with. I also don't fit in with the non-Christians who live the constant cycle of drinking and having sex at night, then going to work the next morning. It's been difficult to find my colony, in that regard, but I'm content, if not happy.
I often feel this way too. I feel like most Christians are in the mode of not asking questions, not associating with non Christians, and responding to all challenges with "Ill pray about it." I am not that way. I firmly believe in God but my faith is always growing and changing through questions, through meeting people with different points of view, and through using the deductive reasoning God gave me and what I know from the Bible to work through problems. Lately I find my Christian friends get really up in arms about me, they interpret the way I question as a lack of faith. I feel outside of that community now. At the same time, while I have non Christian friends, I am very clearly not a part of that community either and they and I both know where my lines are drawn. Its kind of a lonely place.

Reactions: Waddler
Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Depends on what you think is fun. Going to clubs isn't fun. Drinking in excess- to get drunk- isn't fun. Drinking occasionally is fine imo. What is fun? Drawing, writing, making jewelry, shooting my bow.

But to the world I guess I am boring. I do my own thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0