✟15,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Has being a Christian made you boring?

I sometimes get the feel that being a Christian has made me pretty boring. A little background, I wasn’t really a Christian till around age 20/21 (it was a process and not an overnight thing). Before that I was more a Christian in name only. I would go to Church on Christmas and Easter and ya know do the whole Christian thing once in a while.

I was a fun person though. Girls though I was Charming, I could have fun and just do things everyday people do, without any guilt or conscience.

Then I became a Christian. The fun me sort of died cause all the things that are “Fun” sort of revolve around things God does not approve off. Well the Charming guy, who could talk to any girl and be all smooth and slick. Turned into the nice guy, who is amazingly boring? The fun guy turned into “well I don’t wanna do XYZ because its not what God wants”.

I just wonder sometimes if when people say “its tough to live a Christian life”. Do they mean its tough to be the only one not having fun? Then yes it is tough, its also tough when ya get so uninteresting that you start to bore yourself. This cant be all there is to being a Christian.

I need to get my groove or mojo back or whatever. But then again the only way I know how to get it back is to ignore What pleases God. It’s a weird point iv come to in my life.

Ace99

Alive in Christ
Sep 1, 2012
England
✟15,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It can sometimes be boring being a christian, a few years ago i would be in the night club leering after girls, getting drunk, having a laugh with the boys but all that is gone where i would be out partying all weekend.
10 0 clock is late for me to be out, i feel so sad in many ways, but ive also had crazy moments of joy with the lord,
the craziest was when i had an overwhelming feeling of joy that i had tin foil in my house, i felt such love for the lord and couldnt stop praising him, it wasnt the tin foil exactly it was just the fact God provides for all my needs even tin foil for my cooking and that i have become domesticated and cared about my flat.
before that i wouldnt have cared that i had tin foil in or even food for that matter id just get drunk and eat a kebab. Its a funny old world,
yes in some ways you do lose the fun you used to have but most of the fun we all had, God classes as sin,
so we lose the sin but we have the Joy of being with Jesus. So its all good. God bless you brother, great thread.

Upvote 0

r035198x

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
✟13,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Depends on what you call fun. I would still not be going to clubs or chatting up girls randomly even if I were not Christian. I'd definitely not be drinking either and I find parties boring.
The things that I do are already lots of fun to me. I love going on fishing camps with my best friends, playing racing games, going mountain climbing, jogging, watching TV (series and sport), programming and playing cricket. These things are a world of fun to me but are probably boring to other people. Also church itself and all the associated Christian activities actually are very enjoyable to me.

So yeah my answer is basically it depends.
I think you basically have three options.
1.)Pray and ask God to transform your desires so that they come inline with what He likes.
2.)Join the so called radical groups of Christians that believe it is okay to do all those other things and still be a Christian
3.) Continue suppressing your desires and take it as overcoming the battle between flesh and Spirit.

If I were you I'd go for (1). There are just so many fun things to do in the world that it is unlikely you won't be able to find things that you enjoy that are not er questionable.

Reactions: Rhye
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟837,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Not at all. I've had A LOT more fun as a Christian than before. Maybe you're own personal church has nothing for you, but my friends and I LOVE church, love to serve, love to go out and fellowship with each other. It's fulfilling "work", but it doesn't feel like work. And you're free to do most of the things you would do as a non-Christian. We go to movies, go out to eat, some even have a drink or two. I don't believe it's a sin to drink as Jesus made wine and drank. I personally refrain because I've seen what over-consumption does to people as my father and most of his side of the family are alcoholics and I'll never go out and get drunk. I don't judge those who have a drink or two.

What is so different being a Christian? Well, the world needs to look at you see that there's something different about you. When my friend Steve goes to work, they tease him because he doesn't go out and get drunk on a daily basis. They tell him he doesn't know how to have fun, but in reality, he tells me that these people seem completely miserable.

You're not "missing out" on anything.

Upvote 0

wannaberocker

Aug 26, 2012
✟15,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It can sometimes be boring being a christian, a few years ago i would be in the night club leering after girls, getting drunk, having a laugh with the boys but all that is gone where i would be out partying all weekend.
10 0 clock is late for me to be out, i feel so sad in many ways, but ive also had crazy moments of joy with the lord,
the craziest was when i had an overwhelming feeling of joy that i had tin foil in my house, i felt such love for the lord and couldnt stop praising him, it wasnt the tin foil exactly it was just the fact God provides for all my needs even tin foil for my cooking and that i have become domesticated and cared about my flat.
before that i wouldnt have cared that i had tin foil in or even food for that matter id just get drunk and eat a kebab. Its a funny old world,
yes in some ways you do lose the fun you used to have but most of the fun we all had, God classes as sin,
so we lose the sin but we have the Joy of being with Jesus. So its all good. God bless you brother, great thread.

yeah i mean you do lose some fun. But i guess you gain some too.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Nope. Being a Christian has actually exposed me to more fun, thanks to the people in the Church that God as put in my life over the years. Everything boring about me I attribute to either my genetic makeup or the way I was raised. Which also have their strong points, btw.

Upvote 0

mjere

Sep 20, 2012
New York, New York
✟7,848.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Has being a Christian made you boring?

I just wonder sometimes if when people say “its tough to live a Christian life”. Do they mean its tough to be the only one not having fun? Then yes it is tough, its also tough when ya get so uninteresting that you start to bore yourself. This cant be all there is to being a Christian.

I need to get my groove or mojo back or whatever. But then again the only way I know how to get it back is to ignore What pleases God. It’s a weird point iv come to in my life.

No, it hasn't made me boring, but it's made things I used to enjoy in the world pretty boring. I would suggest that I've come into a more "simplistic life", but never boring. Things are not so much of a grey area anymore.

I've heard someone say that if your Christian life is not supernatural, then it's superficial. It's not that the Red Sea should be parting day after day, but there is that joy you have in the mundane hours of a work week where your emotions would be just the same.

I was born again at the age of seven, but I didn't receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit until I was 26. There was a radical difference between the two; and prior to receiving it, I would have said the Christian life is boring, and difficult to live.

When I consider the alternative to being born again and spirit filled, to just being born again, or being lost, there is no comparison. Friends, family, co-workers just seem aimless, purpose-less in their walk, hungry for something they don't have, complacent in their defeat.

I'm not out to profess I've arrived into 24 excitement, but I do consider the alternative.

Upvote 0

Going Merry

‏‏‏‏ ‏‏‏‏
Mar 14, 2012
✟16,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I believe I have a mission in life now after becoming a Christian...and that making decisions has a stronger impact on others than my previous life had. I can be proud everyday knowing I am doing the Lords will and that many people have come to Him through me. These works I have done no one can take away from me. Through me they were saved...through them more are saved. Everything except what he wants is *boring*...I remember being told to play and I would let out a huge sigh because of how much more fun it was to work on getting people to Christ. When you do the Lords work it is impossible to sin...I have went months without it simply because I was dedicated. It's not boring at all... your heart becomes complete.

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Depends on what you call fun. I would still not be going to clubs or chatting up girls randomly even if I were not Christian. I'd definitely not be drinking either and I find parties boring.
The things that I do are already lots of fun to me. I love going on fishing camps with my best friends, playing racing games, going mountain climbing, jogging, watching TV (series and sport), programming and playing cricket. These things are a world of fun to me but are probably boring to other people. Also church itself and all the associated Christian activities actually are very enjoyable to me.

So yeah my answer is basically it depends.
I think you basically have three options.
1.)Pray and ask God to transform your desires so that they come inline with what He likes.
2.)Join the so called radical groups of Christians that believe it is okay to do all those other things and still be a Christian
3.) Continue suppressing your desires and take it as overcoming the battle between flesh and Spirit.

If I were you I'd go for (1). There are just so many fun things to do in the world that it is unlikely you won't be able to find things that you enjoy that are not er questionable.

This.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Has being a Christian made you boring, or has being 27 made you boring? When I compare my 20 year old self to how I was just a few years later, my life had become relatively boring but I don't think faith was the reason. It had more to do with life circumstances. Fortunately, my thirties have been a lot more fun, and I don't feel so boring anymore.

Upvote 0

Strider1002

For when I am weak, then I am strong.
May 10, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟62,542.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My relationship with God has made me more confident. If God is with us, no one can be against us. I'm excited for my future.

And yes, I had more fun 5 or 10 years ago, when my friends and I were still growing into adulthood. But I also had even more fun when I was 11 and 12, so yes, a lot of it does depend on age. And perhaps maturity levels.

Upvote 0

Rhye

Legend
Mar 29, 2010
✟43,006.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Has being a Christian made you boring, or has being 27 made you boring? When I compare my 20 year old self to how I was just a few years later, my life had become relatively boring but I don't think faith was the reason. It had more to do with life circumstances. Fortunately, my thirties have been a lot more fun, and I don't feel so boring anymore.

I thought the same thing and then added a few other stuff. Then the page closed and I gave up.

Sorry wannabe I cant be more of a help so my short version is: no it doesn't make me boring. My relationship with God has made me stronger and more confident with people. Especially, choosing positivity and good people to surround myself with, and things that not only help strengthen my abilities but those around me.

Upvote 0

wannaberocker

Aug 26, 2012
✟15,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I never thaught of it that way. Maybe it does have more to do with maturing and having a different mindset.

Upvote 0

wannaberocker

Aug 26, 2012
✟15,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I thought the same thing and then added a few other stuff. Then the page closed and I gave up.

Sorry wannabe I cant be more of a help so my short version is: no it doesn't make me boring. My relationship with God has made me stronger and more confident with people. Especially, choosing positivity and good people to surround myself with, and things that not only help strengthen my abilities but those around me.
No, i think you and Miles have pointed out something that i was completely overlooking and was the farthest thing from my mind.

I think, growing up is a huge part of it, now that i think about it. At 21 my concerns were not "landing a career, being with someone i loved and maybe starting a family one day". It was easier to just focus on going to school and just having no worries or cares. But, with age you start to focus on different things and that does take the carefree nature away of your early 20s.

I guess wrongly iv been thinking that my Christianity has made me boring. But, i think largely its just a matter of me growing up.

Sure i may not flirt with every skirt i see just to boost my ego. But, maybe its a positive thing. Positive thing to know that iv matured into a man and left my childhood behavior behind me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rhye

Legend
Mar 29, 2010
✟43,006.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Back in 5th or 6th grade, my best friend told me he had heard that 11 was the age when you have the most fun. He told me this right after my 12th birthday...

No way. 9-13 was the worst years of my life. Besides the fact that I was growing faster then all the boys I dont ever want to go back to that age.

Upvote 0

jess9450

Sep 17, 2012
In the land of ice and snow
✟10,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it comes down to attitude and what you consider to be fun. I've struggled with this feeling in past too, so I'm not judging you at all for feeling this way! My family members and cousins of my generation are not Christian, and so when they talk about all the crazy wild times they had a party or whatever, sometimes I can feel a little bit like I'm missing out on something
BUT
then I think about all the awesome times I've had with my Christian friends, and how much fun I've had doing things that weren't displeasing to God. The world wants to convince you that by not partying, getting drunk, sleeping around, doing drugs, etc. you are missing out on the 'fun', but really, you've just got to change your opinion on what you think is fun.
Some of the best times I've had recently have been with my small Bible study group!

Upvote 0