Rio Oso
✟27,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Separated
Halloween is upon us again and time for kids to dress up to get their sugar fix. Do you take part in this holiday as Christians? Also for non believers what do you think of the day?

As a Christian yes I do take my kids trick or treating. According to the Bible it depends where your heart is like eating food that was sacrificed to idols in 1 Corinthians 8. In the Old Testament it was the act that was sinful but in the NT we can see that adultery is not just the act but the mere thought of lusting after someone or murder is just merely hating your brother instead of the act.

Christians who celebrate Halloween are not doing so to celebrate witchcraft or even idolatry just dress up to get free candy. Doesn’t all your kids play around the house pretending to be some fictional character? It’s the same thing and the day in itself is no different from any other day (Romans 14:5). Christians dress kids up in Among Us, Angels, Pumpkin, bees, the incredibles, princesses and many other costumes that have nothing to do with witches or evil. It’s what you make it and what’s in your heart as that’s what God looks at.

But for those who believe it’s evil then I respect it and it’s not for everyone. We can see the same in the first scripture I gave that not everyone will accept you can eat meat that was sacrificed to idol gods on the alter but others give it no power, just like some Christians give the day itself no power and just have fun.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My mother and I do not really celebrate per say other than giving candy to her great nieces and nephews who live near by, but it has nothing to do with being Christian it is just that we do not really want to deal with having people at our door so we keep our lights off. We went trick-or treating when we were younger and until fairly recently went to our church fall event.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My father hated Halloween growing up.. but relectantly allowed me to celebrate it. Although my choice of costumes was pretty vanilla. Never any Halloween decorations in the house. That could invite actual demons into the home, lol.

As for my own feelings.. I have nothing against the holiday.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
For me, Halloween was always about creativity and imagination. I enjoyed trick-or-treating with friends when I was a kid, and we would sometimes stay up late watching spooky movies together. With that being said, I don't have children of my own and I don't have much reason to get excited about Halloween these days. In fact, I'll probably leave the lights off this year so trick-or-treaters don't come to my door.

Although I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with celebrating Halloween, if you have temptations to dabble in the occult or whatnot I'd avoid it. As a Christian, our position is that existential death has already been defeated. Also, witches don't fly around on broomsticks, black cats aren't evil, and movie monsters aren't real so there isn't much to fear in that regard. It can even be a way to help kids not be afraid of spooky stuff. However, I can respect the desire to not participate. A lot depends on what the day means to you and your family.

Upvote 0

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 17, 2016
macon ga.
✟17,239.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Halloween is upon us again and time for kids to dress up to get their sugar fix. Do you take part in this holiday as Christians? Also for non believers what do you think of the day?

As a Christian yes I do take my kids trick or treating. According to the Bible it depends where your heart is like eating food that was sacrificed to idols in 1 Corinthians 8. In the Old Testament it was the act that was sinful but in the NT we can see that adultery is not just the act but the mere thought of lusting after someone or murder is just merely hating your brother instead of the act.

Christians who celebrate Halloween are not doing so to celebrate witchcraft or even idolatry just dress up to get free candy. Doesn’t all your kids play around the house pretending to be some fictional character? It’s the same thing and the day in itself is no different from any other day (Romans 14:5). Christians dress kids up in Among Us, Angels, Pumpkin, bees, the incredibles, princesses and many other costumes that have nothing to do with witches or evil. It’s what you make it and what’s in your heart as that’s what God looks at.

But for those who believe it’s evil then I respect it and it’s not for everyone. We can see the same in the first scripture I gave that not everyone will accept you can eat meat that was sacrificed to idol gods on the alter but others give it no power, just like some Christians give the day itself no power and just have fun.
The name Halloween is connected with the pagan Celtic festival of Samhain. The World Book Encyclopedia states: “Samhain, means summer's end.The festival marked the start of the dark winter season and was celebrated around November 1. In the A.D. 700’s to 800’s, the Christian church established a new holiday, All Saints’ Day, on this date. All Saints’ Day was also called All Hallows’. Hallow means saint, or one who is holy. The evening before All Hallows’ was known as All Hallows’ Eve, or as it came to be abbreviated, All Hallow e’en. This name was eventually shortened to Halloween.”
They had a pagan religious celebration to welcome the harvest at the end of summer, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off ghosts.

Samhain, marked the Celtic New Year, the end of summer, and the end of the harvest season. It signaled the beginning of winter, which they associated with death. On this day, the Celts believed the veil between the living and the dead was especially thin. This allowed spirits of the dead to visit the living.

Upvote 0

Sunflower39

Anglican
Aug 23, 2023
UK
✟22,287.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think it depends on intention. For me and my family, we’re not ‘celebrating’ anything, we’re just having a bit of fun. The kids will dress up and I will take them trick or treating around our neighbourhood and we will also visit the pumpkin patch.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Lol, you're too old:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I do not celebrate Halloween, for two reasons.
  1. I do not want to be in any of the structures resting on the foundation Satan has laid, when they crumble under the wrath of God.
  2. I want to make sure of what God approves of, so as to have his approval, and be in an actual relationship with God and his son.

Scriptural reasons.
  • Ephesians 5:10 Carefully determine what pleases the Lord.
  • Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

• Exodus 32:5, 6 When Aaron saw this, he built an altar before the calf and proclaimed: “Tomorrow shall be a feast to the LORD.” So the next day they arose, offered burnt offerings, and presented peace offerings. And the people sat down to eat and drink, and got up to indulge in revelry.
  • 1 Corinthians 10:6, 7 These things took place as examples to keep us from craving evil things as they did. Do not be idolaters, as some of them were. As it is written: “The people sat down to eat and to drink, and got up to indulge in revelry.”

• Revelation 2:13 “‘I know where you dwell, where Satan’s throne is. Yet you hold fast my name, and you did not deny my faith even in the days of Antipas my faithful witness, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells.

Explanation.
Halloween or Hallowe'en (less commonly known as Allhalloween,[5] All Hallows' Eve,[6] or All Saints' Eve)[7] is a celebration observed in many countries on 31 October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Saints' Day. It begins the observance of Allhallowtide,[8] the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed.[9][10][11][12] In popular culture, the day has become a celebration of horror, being associated with the macabre and supernatural.[13]

Regarding all three of these roots, none are good.
Christianity from the end of the first century deviated from the Christ, and corrupted, and adulterated the teachings of the church. 2 Thessalonians 2:2-12; 1 Timothy 4:1; 2 Timothy 4:3; 2 Peter 2:1; 1 John 2:18, 19; Acts 20:29

All Saints' Day
From the 4th century, feasts commemorating all Christian martyrs were held in various places,[3] on various dates near Easter and Pentecost. In the 9th century, some churches in the British Isles began holding the commemoration of all saints on 1 November, and in the 9th century this was extended to the whole Catholic Church by Pope Gregory IV.[10]

In Western Christianity, it is still celebrated on 1 November by the Roman Catholic Church as well as many Protestant churches, such as the Lutheran, Anglican, and Methodist traditions.[7]

Why the same date?
What are the origins of All Saints Day and All Souls Day? Are these linked with paganism and Halloween?
Both the Feast of All Saints and the Feast of All Souls evolved in the life of the Church independently of paganism and Halloween. However, elements of pagan practices were perhaps “baptized” by some cultures or attached themselves to the celebration of All Saints and All Souls.

According to an early Church historian, John Beleth (d. 1165), Pope Gregory IV (827-844) officially declared November 1 the Feast of All Saints, transferring it from May 13. However, Sicard of Cremona (d. 1215) recorded that Pope Gregory VII (1073-85) finally suppressed May 13 and mandated November 1 as the date to celebrate the Feast of All Saints. In all, we find the Church establishing a liturgical feast day in honor of the saints independent of any pagan influence.

Now for the pagan connection: November 1 marked Samhain, the beginning of the Celtic winter.

Besides the Celtic traditions in place, the Roman conquest of Britain in AD 43 brought two other pagan feasts: Feralia was held in late October to honor the dead. Another Autumn festival honored Pomona, the goddess of fruits and trees; probably through this festival, apples became associated with Halloween. Elements of these Roman celebrations were combined with the Celtic Samhain.

With the spread of Christianity and the establishment of All Saints Day, some of these pagan customs remained in the English speaking world for All Hallows Eve (or Halloween, All Saints Eve), perhaps at first more out of superstition, and later, more out of fun. Nevertheless, All Saints Day clearly arose from genuine Christian devotion independent of Halloween.

Nevertheless, All Souls Day as well as all Saints Day are rooted in Christian belief and arose in this life of the Church through a healthy spirituality, despite some pagan trappings that may have survived and have remained attached to their celebration.

@Krav Maga do you know how a person can be in harmony with the teaching of 2 Corinthians 6:14-18, and be associated with Halloween?

2 Corinthians 6:14-18
14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial[a]? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said:

“I will live with them
and walk among them,
and I will be their God,
and they will be my people.”[b]

17 Therefore,

“Come out from them
and be separate,
says the Lord.
Touch no unclean thing,
and I will receive you.”[c]

18 And,

“I will be a Father to you,
and you will be my sons and daughters,
says the Lord Almighty.”[d]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟733,230.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
We hand out candy and enjoy the children's costumes, especially the young ones. We have never decorated the house or engaged in the consumer end of the holiday. But it's fun time that we as a culture enjoy together. And I think that's the most important part of Halloween.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Justify all you want. The devil and all the evil of it shouldn't be celebrated. If you do, as a christian what impression are you giving to non believers?

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟909,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Justify all you want. The devil and all the evil of it shouldn't be celebrated. If you do, as a christian what impression are you giving to non believers?
Non Christians aren’t thinking about it really. They are not concerned that their neighbors do or do not celebrate what is really a cultural holiday.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟187,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You know what's weird, it seems Christians are divided on this topic, as it's a hot button topic every year, sometimes I think it's just for arguing for hte sake of arguing. lol

I typically don't associate with Christians like this and actually had distanced myself to an acquaintance level friend if I found out they were against this kind of thing. It's zealot in nature.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟733,230.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Celebrating Halloween or not is the last thing I look for in Christians. There are a lot of other way more important things that I look for.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yep! Not the ghoulish aspects though.

Happy Halloween everyone! :wave:

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Celebrating Halloween or not is the last thing I look for in Christians. There are a lot of other way more important things that I look for.
Why are you bringing Christmas into it. It's not pagan. i guess you don't believe we are to be a light to the world?

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟733,230.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Why are you bringing Christmas into it. It's not pagan. i guess you don't believe we are to be a light to the world?
Please read what I wrote. Christmas was not brought into my reply. A family with little ones just came to the door. Lots of smiles, laughter and fun were shared. That is how light is brought into the world.

Upvote 0