Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh, I know. Been reading through them already, just waiting for one to Floor me.

I saw the prior post about whales and found a gem...

It's funny that a red state that doesn't border water has an anti-whale hunting provision...but a blue state like California has this

It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/california

Upvote 0

DrkSdBls

Feb 19, 2006
✟2,298.00
Faith
Seeker
I saw the prior post about whales and found a gem...

It's funny that a red state that doesn't border water has an anti-whale hunting provision...but a blue state like California has this

It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/california

What makes these laws (and all "Dumb laws") as so funny is because we're usually taking them out of context.

At one time, these laws made sense, at least at the time. Even if that particular law was only passed to cover a particular person doing that particular thing at one particular time.

Like, California once had a Whaling Industry. The Industry has since faded but the Laws are left behind.

Of course, Some really, really, really are just dumb:
In Tampa, Florida, Women may not expose their breasts while performing “topless dancing”.

And, Lap dances must be given at least six feet away from a patron.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Like, California once had a Whaling Industry. The Industry has since faded but the Laws are left behind.

So I'm assuming then that by moving vehicle, they meant "boat"...but you think they would've made that more specific.

I doubt the whaling industry was conducting their business by doing a gang-style drive-by on whales.

Upvote 0

DrkSdBls

Feb 19, 2006
✟2,298.00
Faith
Seeker
So I'm assuming then that by moving vehicle, they meant "boat"...but you think they would've made that more specific.

I doubt the whaling industry was conducting their business by doing a gang-style drive-by on whales.

It's all about context and how a Law COULD of been interpreted.

Take the Law:

If the Law was passed without the last stipulation, then it would of restricted shooting of any game from any Vehicle within the bounds of California.

Since, yes, a Boat is a Vehicle and if that Whaler was just within California's Waters, it would of fallen under this law.

The only real question is how would they handle the Situation in which someone shot game from a PARKED vehicle?
And how do they define "Moving?" Since everything is "Moving" is relation to something else, as we are on a Moving Planet.

See? Any law can be abused or avoided on technicalities, if the law isn't specific enough.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
[serious];62254711 said:
And by handguns you mean mac-10s and uzis?

For civilian versions of the Uzi, it's another case of the gun looking scary or being used by the bad guys in the movies.

Anyone who knows guns understands that this

Is no different than this

...unless of course, you're talking about the full-auto Uzi, which is already illegal for your average civilian to own.

The civilian version of the Uzi is nothing more than an oversized 9mm pistol.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So saving whales is stupidity now?

Given that Oklahoma is a landlocked state if there are whales anywhere nearby they have much more serious issues than fear of being hunted.

Honestly thinking of whales in Oklahoma made me think of this...

Falling Whale - YouTube

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What makes these laws (and all "Dumb laws") as so funny is because we're usually taking them out of context.

At one time, these laws made sense, at least at the time. Even if that particular law was only passed to cover a particular person doing that particular thing at one particular time.

LOL

Brother if you can figure out the context behind a law that says you cannot hunt whales in land locked state you need to get that published!

From Texas:

When two trains meet each other at a railroad crossing, each shall come to a full stop, and neither shall proceed until the other has gone.

That's a head scratcher.

From my home town of San Antonio:

It is illegal to urinate on the Alamo.

Yes, that's right... they made that law just for Ozzy Osborn. I'm afraid to check if public urination wasn't already illegal at that point...

It is illegal for both sexes to flirt or respond to flirtation using the eyes and/or hands.
Wait...but...how....

I guess we gentlemen are to hope the ladies are able to read out minds?

Upvote 0

DrkSdBls

Feb 19, 2006
✟2,298.00
Faith
Seeker
LOL

Brother if you can figure out the context behind a law that says you cannot hunt whales in land locked state you need to get that published!

My first thought? Theme Park Attractions.

Now, I'm not aware of any Sea park within the state but the fact that the Law was passed means that someone, somewhere thought that someone could get to a whale somewhere, even if it was just someone Transporting one through the State.

Honestly, I wouldn't put it pass someone in this Country to get Drunk and try to Break into Sea World to "Hunt dim'dar Whales!"

Upvote 0

DrkSdBls

Feb 19, 2006
✟2,298.00
Faith
Seeker
Upvote 0