• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Green New Deal fails Senate test vote as dozens of Democrats vote 'present'

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Rion, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Rion

Rion Annuit Cœptis Supporter

+6,188
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. usexpat97

usexpat97 kewlness

+702
    Presbyterian
    Single
    The article implies that Republicans would be supportive of climate change efforts if it involved science, technology and innovation.

3. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+2,842
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Well that was a mistake.. How the heck are republicans supposed to rile their base to be scared of AOC if her ideas get permanently shut down? Its already having an affect, there hasn't been a new AOC thread on this board for literally days!...although it could be the Mueller effect.

4. Rion

+6,188
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    No one is scared of Cortez, except Establishment Democrats. She is probably the best thing to happen to the rnc since Mondell.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Tanj

+2,842
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Lets just agree to disagree on that one. Every single thread about AOC on this board was started by a non-liberal. Like this one, frinstance.

6. hislegacy

hislegacy This is me.

+6,756
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Lol. Truth!

And her co sponsor voted no.

This is going to be too much fun. I’d love to be a fly on the wall when he takes her next call.

7. Rion

+6,188
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    Probably because she's hilarious. I can only imagine that Brianna Wu would be as incompetent as Cortez. Did you even read the GND? Banning air travel, rebuilding every building in the country, paying people who don't want to work, the list goes on.

BTW, the thing got literally 0 votes, because the Democrats DID read it, and weren't dumb enough to vote for it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Tanj

+2,842
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    I had this conversation a few times whilst you weren't here. Not going to have it again. I'll summarize by saying all of the stuff republicans are saying about AOC the democrats said about Trump. Look how that turned out for them.

9. hislegacy

hislegacy This is me.

+6,756
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others

??? Not one of the Democrats were right about Trump. And the same number voted for AOC’s deal.

10. Tanj

+2,842
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Exactly my point.

11. Verv

Verv Senior Veteran

+573
    Korea, Republic Of
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    ... That's an interesting deflection:

Pie in the sky environmentalist initiatives failing isn't the problem for the future direction of the Democrats, but rather a bigger problem for the GOP because of missed talking point opportunities.

Honestly, I think this really is a big deal for the Democrats because they have to deal with a base that wants to drift very far to the left (so it would appear from social media) yet their actual politicians are hard pumping the breaks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother?

+4,937
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    McConnell blocked a vote on a non-binding resolution about the Mueller report. Presumably, this was bad. Because muh democracy or something, idk.

McConnell put through a vote on the Green New Deal (or do we call it to the Vote No Deal now?) and apparently that was bad too because reasons.

The strange thing is I have no real regard for McConnell one way or the other. But it seems like he's out of luck if he allows a vote on something and out of luck if he doesn't allow a vote on something.

Dude can't win, it's weird...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Tanj

+2,842
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    From what am I deflecting?

You understand that spelling out irony defeats the purpose, right?

I think the democrats' problems, ironically (once again) mirroring the republicans', is indeed an issue. Got nothing whatsoever to do with the inevitable rise of AOC though.

14. Verv

Verv Senior Veteran

+573
    Korea, Republic Of
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    Right, I guess you could say that I referred to the far left environmental agenda as pie in the sky in such a way as to be degrading... So, it would appear that I was perhaps... slightly hypocritical.

I would only add that I am not sure if AOC herself will be the one who rises.

She just isn't well spoken enough to really do this -- and while I cannot really be a judge of these things, I am inclined to believe she doesn't have the staying power. I think she has only stayed because she is temporarily useful to both the left and the right.

To have staying power you have to be able to speak without giving away bad sound bytes every other time.

15. Tanj

+2,842
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    You have actually heard Trump speak, right?

At any rate, I'd heartily disagree. The only thing you see blown up is her gaffes, which are a very tiny part of what she has said, some of it IMHO very well spoken.

Once again, have you heard Trump speak? In the current US climate, bad sound bytes are utterly irrelevant to anything except a 5 second headline.

16. hislegacy

hislegacy This is me.

+6,756
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Inevitable rise? In the months she has been in office, besides being an attention getter what positive movement has she had?

Two calls for ethics violations

The co sponsor of her hallmark bill doesn’t vote for the bill.

The leadership of her own party distancing themselves from her.

Doesn’t sound like a rising star to me.

17. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+1,767
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I’m guessing you didn’t read the article? This vote was a ploy by Mitch McConnell and the dems basically boycotted it. The green new deal isn’t a bill.

18. brinny

brinny everlovin' shiner of light in dark places Supporter

+102,620
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    It makes sense.

Isn't she an actress?

19. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+15,900
    Agnostic
    Single
    Right... she only got into Congress because she was too old to be a Parkland crisis actor...

20. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+5,163
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I knew it! :p