• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Great Flood Evidence?

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by LloydK, Dec 4, 2015.

1. LloydK

LloydK Member

+10
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. BrianAK

BrianAK Newbie

+3
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    US-Others
    "Is there probably a lot of corruption in science and politics?"

Why is this one question? What has one to do with the other?

3. JackRT

JackRT Gargoyle at Oxford University Supporter

+9,455
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    The following is a concise summary for all the evidence of a worldwide flood as in the Noah narrative:

OK, that's it.

4. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

+40,098
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    The White Cliffs of Dover?

5. Paul of Eugene OR

Paul of Eugene OR Finally Old Enough Supporter

+1,797
    Baptist
    Married
    Are you thinking they were all laid down in a single year? Have you contemplated how much room all those coccolithophores shells would have taken up if they were all alive at the same time?

6. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

+40,098
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I surmise God swept them up after the Flood as part of His clean-up.
    A cliff's worth here and there?

7. Dr GS Hurd

Dr GS Hurd Newbie

+244
    Taoist
    Private
    Do you want to know why the "schlock" dynamic is diarrhea?

John Michael (Mike) Fisher has his little idea exposed as stupid in the first 48 seconds. It is at that point that he falsely asserted that the continental plates are expanding away from the Indian Ocean. That is just not true.

At 1:11, he makes the same stupid error that John Baumgardner's "Catastrophic Plate Dynamics" makes. They both forget that there is a simple equation, F=MA; Force equals Mass times Acceleration. And, they missed another basic fact, the Coefficient of Friction. The continents would have melted, and the oceans boiled just from the heat of friction. It there was a magical removal of friction then the smashing of continents together would have made the Himalayas look small.

At 1:18 this nitwit started to natter on about geomagnetic studies. The first problem he has is that I have actually done thermoremnant magnetism studies. Mostly I used processional proton magnetometers for remote sensing. But I also did field work on soil and rock samples used in archaeo thermoremnant magnetic dating studies. This is a problem for you because I actually know the literature.

Which brings us to the debunking of this "theme" I wrote long ago, "Dismissing "catastrophic plate tectonics"

Oh, and then there is just the simple geomagnetic features I reviewed in the same blog post.

8. Dr GS Hurd

Dr GS Hurd Newbie

+244
    Taoist
    Private
  9. RickG

RickG Senior Veteran Supporter

+1,392
    Presbyterian
    Married
    I would suggest the 8200 yr event causing a sea level rise 0.8 to 2.2 m, as a possible origin for the flood story.

http://www.tulane.edu/~tor/documents/EPSL2012.pdf

10. RickG

+1,392
    Presbyterian
    Married
    I've go to ask about John Baumgardner, how does a person with a PhD in Geophysics come up with "Catastrophic Plate Dynamics"? He essentially has to ignore everything he learned in obtaining that degree. And of course, if he truly feels it is valid, why has he not submitted it for publication in the mainstream scientific literature?

11. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+4,022
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    So your stand is that they layered themselves year after year, in one place, for how long, with no changes in the environment to disrupt the pile?

And why in just this one area?

[​IMG]

12. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+4,022
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Jesus, caused the lame to walk and the blind to see.
    I'd like to see how He pulled that off as well.

13. -57

-57 Well-Known Member

+1,069
    Christian
    Private
    If you fold strata it tends to snap, crackle and pop. Problem is..why do we have folds all over the planet that have not snapped crackled and popped?

The answer is the strata was still plastic when they were folded.

recumb-overturn.gif

How do water gaps form? One would think a river would go around a mountain rather than cut through it. So, how do they form? The answer....water stood above the mountains during the flood of Noah and cut through them as the receded. The river didn't cut it.

WIND-WATER-GAP.jpg

14. -57

-57 Well-Known Member

+1,069
    Christian
    Private
    It seems your question has been answered long ago.
    With such a slow rate of accumulation, how did such monumental chalk beds form on an earth, which is, according to the Bible, a little over 6000 years old? For the chalk formations to have reached the thickness they are today in a few thousand years, the production of microorganisms would have had to greatly increase sometime in the past. In fact, under the right conditions, rapid production and accumulation of these microorganisms on the ocean floor is possible. These conditions include turbulent waters, high winds, decaying fish, and increased temperature and nutrients from volcanic waters and other sources.
    With catastrophic volcanic activity warming the oceans and releasing large amounts of CO2, and with the torrential rains and the churning and mixing of fresh and salt waters, the Flood of Noah’s day produced the right conditions for a “blooming” production of microorganisms and the chalk’s rapid accumulation. The three major sections of the White Cliffs of Dover give evidence of three major “blooms” in chalk formation, which would have taken place during the year-long Flood.

The purity of the chalk itself also points to rapid accumulation. One cannot imagine a scenario where deposits over millions of years could maintain such purity without accumulating some contaminating sediments from other events.

Additional evidence for a global Flood in the White Cliffs of Dover includes the layering of the chalk in alternating thin, hard layers and thick, soft layers. In these hard layers, called hardgrounds, we find fossils of mollusk shells and other sea creatures, some as large as 3 feet (1 m) across (ammonites), which could not have been buried alive slowly! The same chalk formation in the Netherlands has yielded a very large Mosasaurus skull. Since sea life was not part of Noah’s cargo on the Ark, they had to endure the ravages of the Flood. Marine life would have been swept into the rapidly forming chalk and other sedimentary layers and quickly buried by successive deposits. That is why we find fossils of sea creatures in even the highest chalk layers, now far above the ocean. Source.

15. -57

-57 Well-Known Member

+1,069
    Christian
    Private
    Sheeze....the answer is all over the web. Click here for more on formation of the White Cliffs.

16. RickG

+1,392
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Because its not just one area, they extend well into Europe.

17. -57

-57 Well-Known Member

+1,069
    Christian
    Private
    So what?????
    Perhaps I should post some large sandstone formations.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  18. -57

-57 Well-Known Member

+1,069
    Christian
    Private
    Oh there is so much flood evidence out there.

19. -57

-57 Well-Known Member

+1,069
    Christian
    Private
    Question...was there enough water? Here is the hypsographic curve of the planet earth.
    Answer...As you see...if you had a big enough bulldozer you could push all the dry land into the ocean.

hypsographic.JPG

Question....If the earth was smooth, how deep would the water be?
    Answer....2.7 km, which is 1.68 miles.

Conclusion, there was plenty of water for the World Wide Flood of Noah.

20. RickG

+1,392
    Presbyterian
    Married
    May I ask were you studied sedimentology and petrology?