GOP whines about "cancel culture" because they don't want to accept responsibility for their actions

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I certainly understand the meaning of incitement, and I can understand attempted coop by a petty wannabe dictator when I see it.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I certainly understand the meaning of incitement, and I can understand attempted coop by a petty wannabe dictator when I see it.

Oooooh. FireDragon76 is going to be very upset with you!!

(Let's see if that's so ;))

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
These companies built themselves up by including everyone's voice.

Nope, not "everyone". They've been banning people all along and removing violent and false content for *years*. In Twitter's case, the only thing that's "new" is their ban of one specific individual who happened to be a sitting President.

Other companies elected to no longer support one specific website which they *all* agreed contained unacceptable levels of violent content. Again, they were well within their rights to make such a choice.

Once they were big enough to control the narrative and stomp out competition they then started to push their own narrative.

Ok, I'll bite. How exactly did Twitter "stomp out competition" by banning one guy who'd been warned repeatedly about violating their content? How was Parler even a "competitor" of Amazon or Apple? What's their "own narrative" exactly, and how did they "push" that narrative in your opinion?

Do you mean the narrative that violent unmoderated content won't be tolerated on their platforms? That narrative has been in their terms of services all along.

Now that they have control people are powerless to go elsewhere.

What a bunch of baloney. They can go anywhere else they want. Parler and Trump can setup their own websites and even setup their own servers if they like too. Twitter, Facebook and Amazon certainly aren't the only websites and the only hosting services on the internet. Sheesh. What bunch of nonsense.

We all saw what happened with parler. The only option is for government intervention.

What happened to Parler is that they *repeatedly* violated Amazon's terms of services by refusing to moderate their violent content, so Amazon simply decided terminate their hosting services, which is *well* within their rights. Apple simply refused to host Parler's app on their store, but you don't need a specific app to post to such websites in the first place since you can access them via a browser.

Parler is in trouble due to their *content containing threats of violence galore*, and their unwillingness to moderate it. You seem to ignore the fact that there are *consequences* for violating terms of services. Even ChristianForums is *absolutely no different* in that respect. I guarantee you that anyone posting some of the violent content found on Parler to this website would have been banned from here as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I suppose in retrospect that you didn't actually imply that Twitter doesn't have the right to ban Trump or that their rights should be curtailed, nor that it was "unfair" only because Trump happened to be the President at the time, so I can see your frustration at my statements. My bad.
ding, ding, ding

I do however stand by my statement that you *still* have not demonstrated that I have in any way acted hypocritically, nor have you actually demonstrated that Twitter has acted hypocritically either. All you've managed to demonstrate is that Twitter is imperfect, just like me and just like everyone else.
ok:

I hear the GOP leadership and news outlets whining a lot right now about the evils of 'cancel culture' because apparently they don't like being held accountable for their malicious words and their immoral actions.

Maxine Waters to a crowd: "if you see anybody from that cabinet in a restaurant, a department store, at a gas station; you get out and you create a crowd and you push back on them and you tell them they are not welcome" (this is exactly what happened and was taken to the next level during the protesting and riots over the summer)

Cory Booker to activists: "That's my call to action here. Please don't just come here today and then go home. Go to the hill today. Please, get up in the face of some congresspeople." (which is exactly what they did to Rand Paul and his wife, where they were in legitimate fear for their lives)

I could go on and on with examples like these.

We have the right to free speech in this country. However, we should demand better from our public officials than this. ALL of them. Regardless of political affiliation. Because if we selectively demand better we only make it worse.

Twitter does have the right to ban whomever they want on their platform (not on someone else's). But that in no way means it isn't hypocritical at the same time. Just search for the latest story about Twitter outright refusing to take down child inappropriate content when they were begged to by the victim. Selective outrage, like theirs and yours, is a form of hypocrisy regardless of whether one has the right to do so or not.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Maxine Waters to a crowd:....

When did you see me support those specific statements, or any other statements from Maxine Waters, or are *you* now engaging in more gaslighting?

Cory Booker to activists:...

Same question.

I could go on and on with examples like these.

I'm sure you could find all sorts of statements that I don't agree with and falsely assert my complicity in some way, but it's pure gaslighting on your part.

We have the right to free speech in this country. However, we should demand better from our public officials than this. ALL of them. Regardless of political affiliation. Because if we selectively demand better we only make it worse.

Hey, we finally agree on something. :) Nice.

Twitter does have the right to ban whomever they want on their platform (not on someone else's). But that in no way means it isn't hypocritical at the same time. Just search for the latest story about Twitter outright refusing to take down child inappropriate content when they were begged to by the victim.

I've never tried to assert that Twitter is 'perfect' at removing content which violates their terms of services. You're even welcome to call *them* out on *their* hypocrisy all you want, but you're not welcome to blame me personally for it.

Selective outrage, like theirs and yours,

What "selective outrage"? I don't support *any* violent content form anyone. More gaslighting on your part.

is a form of hypocrisy regardless of whether one has the right to do so or not.

Like I said, you're welcome to call out Twitter in terms of deciding which content they keep and which they remove if you feel it's 'hypocritical", but you're not welcome to blame me personally for their actions.

I'm simply outraged that Trump was so narcissistic and so emotionally and mentally immature that he was incapable of simply admitting defeat in free and fair elections like every other loser of American elections in my lifetime, and instead chose to incite a violent insurrection attempt. Even Hillary Clinton and Al Gore admitted to defeat once any court challenges were decided, in spite of the fact that they won the popular vote and in Gore's case when it came down to less than 700 votes.

My outrage is at *Trump* and violent behavior *in general*. There's nothing hypocritical about it. I'll wait and see if you also have the ability to admit mistakes when you make them.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When did you see me support those specific statements, or any other statements from Maxine Waters, or are *you* now engaging in more gaslighting?
It's funny how I showed exactly how you were gaslighting, you basically admitted it, now you can't seem to stop using the word... that's projection.

Again, I said nothing about you supporting those statements. I called out the selective outrage you displayed in the OP (and have on other threads) directed to the GOP only. Selective outrage, especially repeatedly, is hypocritical. It is part of what is fueling the issues we are seeing today, and those issues aren't going away until we can admit to ourselves the role we have played in letting it get this far.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
It's funny how I showed exactly how you were gaslighting, you basically admitted it, now you can't seem to stop using the word... that's projection.

No, I'm simply pointing out that you are *just* as guilty of that behavior as I was.

Again, I said nothing about you supporting those statements. I called out the selective outrage you displayed in the OP (and have on other threads) directed to the GOP only.

More gaslighting on your part. I've expressed my displeasure at all sorts of individuals and groups on CF over the years, *including* violent insurrection attempts by the GOP.

Selective outrage, especially repeatedly, is hypocritical.

You've never demonstrated "selective outrage' on my part, or any hypocrisy on my part. More gaslighting.

It is part of what is fueling the issues we are seeing today, and those issues aren't going away until we can admit to ourselves the role we have played in letting it get this far.

Oh the irony of that comment. At least *I* had the maturity to admit my mistakes.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, I'm simply pointing out that you are *just* as guilty of that behavior as I was.

More gaslighting on your part. I've expressed my displeasure at all sorts of individuals and groups on CF over the years, *including* violent insurrection attempts by the GOP.

You've never demonstrated "selective outrage' on my part, or any hypocrisy on my part. More gaslighting.

Oh the irony of that comment. At least *I* had the maturity to admit my mistakes.
See, I had the maturity to not make that mistake in the first place. Even in your defense you can't even bring yourself to type anything negative about what the left has done, just double down on the GOP stuff, thus illustrating my point. If you want to know the real difference here, it is that you keep making things up about me that I have not said, thought nor done. But, ok we can stick with, grumble, grumble, gaslighting, gaslighting, gaslighting... whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
See, I had the maturity to not make that mistake in the first place.

No, you simply don't have the maturity to admit to *falsely* accusing me of something I didn't do, whereas I admitted to my mistakes.

Even in your defense you can't even bring yourself to type anything negative about what the left has done,

If you don't bother to read my various posts on this forum, it's not logical simply *assume* stuff, and accuse me of things that simply aren't true. I've never supported violence, be it from the left or the right. BLM and Antifa, and some democrats are just as guilty of such behaviors. I've never denied that. Trump however incited a violent insurrection attempt, which is in fact quite unique in my lifetime.

just double down on the GOP stuff, thus illustrating my point.

Doubling down? Oy. You're a gaslighting ninja.

If you want to know the real difference here, it is that you keep making things up about me that I have not said, thought nor done.

No, the difference is that while you and I have both done that to each other in this thread, *I* admitted to my "sin", whereas you're *continuing* to "make things up" about me which simply are not true. I admitted my mistakes, whereas you did not, and you *continue* such behaviors.

But, ok we can stick with, grumble, grumble, gaslighting, gaslighting, gaslighting... whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

Talk about projection. Sheesh.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, you simply don't have the maturity to admit to *falsely* accusing me of something I didn't do, whereas I admitted to my mistakes.

If you don't bother to read my various posts on this forum, it's not logical simply *assume* stuff, and accuse me of things that simply aren't true. I've never supported violence, be it from the left or the right. BLM and Antifa, and some democrats are just as guilty of such behaviors. I've never denied that. Trump however incited a violent insurrection attempt, which is in fact quite unique in my lifetime.

Doubling down? Oy. You're a gaslighting ninja.

No, the difference is that while you and I have both done that to each other in this thread, *I* admitted to my "sin", whereas you're *continuing* to "make things up" about me which simply are not true. I admitted my mistakes, whereas you did not, and you *continue* such behaviors.

Talk about projection. Sheesh.
By all means keep typing and proving my point. Actually, I feel a little bad now. I'm starting to think this whole hypocrisy business is just above your head.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
oooooh, good one. What a zinger! You sure got me.

Your continued disinformation and gaslighting about me personally doesn't change anything, it just shows you're incapable of admitting your errors, just like Trump. I hope you're proud of yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: topher694
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nope, not "everyone". They've been banning people all along and removing violent and false content for *years*. In Twitter's case, the only thing that's "new" is their ban of one specific individual who happened to be a sitting President.

Other companies elected to no longer support one specific website which they *all* agreed contained unacceptable levels of violent content. Again, they were well within their rights to make such a choice.

Ok, I'll bite. How exactly did Twitter "stomp out competition" by banning one guy who'd been warned repeatedly about violating their content? How was Parler even a "competitor" of Amazon or Apple? What's their "own narrative" exactly, and how did they "push" that narrative in your opinion?

Do you mean the narrative that violent unmoderated content won't be tolerated on their platforms? That narrative has been in their terms of services all along.

What a bunch of baloney. They can go anywhere else they want. Parler and Trump can setup their own websites and even setup their own servers if they like too. Twitter, Facebook and Amazon certainly aren't the only websites and the only hosting services on the internet. Sheesh. What bunch of nonsense.

What happened to Parler is that they *repeatedly* violated Amazon's terms of services by refusing to moderate their violent content, so Amazon simply decided terminate their hosting services, which is *well* within their rights. Apple simply refused to host Parler's app on their store, but you don't need a specific app to post to such websites in the first place since you can access them via a browser.

Parler is in trouble due to their *content containing threats of violence galore*, and their unwillingness to moderate it. You seem to ignore the fact that there are *consequences* for violating terms of services. Even ChristianForums is *absolutely no different* in that respect. I guarantee you that anyone posting some of the violent content found on Parler to this website would have been banned from here as well.

Were you not around at the beginning of social media? We were allowed to do whatever we wanted. Twitter was an absolute free for all. Maybe you should check out the violence on Twitter before making a judgment. They aren't banning it they are just banning the Trump supporters. I take it you also missed the latest article about child inappropriate content not violating Twitter policy.

• Informative
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Were you not around at the beginning of social media? We were allowed to do whatever we wanted. Twitter was an absolute free for all.

Yes, I was around then, and yes it was a free for all because there were no precedents, no rules, no nothing. It all had to be sorted out over time as the various media companies matured and figured out how to handle content which shouldn't have been posted to start with. That was *decades* ago however, and now there are policies and procedures in place to handle such things.

Maybe you should check out the violence on Twitter before making a judgment.

I'm not thrilled with Twitter either frankly, and I've never personally used that service.

They aren't banning it they are just banning the Trump supporters.

That's complete nonsense, just more GOP disinformation. Twitter is removing violent content from their site even as we speak, via AI technologies and via human intervention processes. The fact that Trump had his account revoked is pretty much 'par for the course". They should have shut his lies and insurrectionist nonsense down *a long time ago*. It took them way too long to pull the plug on his account, but at least they *finally* cut him off. Better late than never.

I take it you also missed the latest article about child inappropriate content not violating Twitter policy.

The content was removed within 2 days as I recall. It's not there now.

We're never likely to have a "perfect" system, but at least Twitter and Facebook have taken steps to remove content that should be removed in a "reasonably" timely manner. It's not a perfect system of course, nor will it ever be perfect.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The content was removed within 2 days as I recall. It's not there now.

We're never likely to have a "perfect" system, but at least Twitter and Facebook have taken steps to remove content that should be removed in a "reasonably" timely manner. It's not a perfect system of course, nor will it ever be perfect.
Incorrect (unsurprisingly). It took Twitter over a month. It was reported 3 times. They even included their case number from local law enforcement and they were completely ignored for over a month. When Twitter actually responded they refused to take it down because it "didn't violate their policies". THEN 2 days later homeland security contacted Twitter and it was finally taken down. Absolutely nothing "reasonable" about any of that, especially when it involves child inappropriate contentography.

It only took the tiniest bit of research to discover this, which you clearly didn't do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dryskale

Itchy, itchy
Nov 1, 2012
✟25,302.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Anyway, cancel culture is just as problematic and benign as it always has been. It has just finally made it to the internet....... since its beginning. If you are a US citizen or residing in the US the government can't arrest or prosicute people for speech. Private companies and individuals can however.

Social media and websites can be arbitrary to who they allow to speek or use their platform. I have been removed from platforms for being too left, too right, etc. the internet can be chaos or overly strict.

Upvote 0