GOP whines about "cancel culture" because they don't want to accept responsibility for their actions

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Anyway, cancel culture is just as problematic and benign as it always has been. It has just finally made it to the internet....... since its beginning. If you are a US citizen or residing in the US the government can't arrest or prosicute people for speech. Private companies and individuals can however.

Social media and websites can be arbitrary to who they allow to speek or use their platform. I have been removed from platforms for being too left, too right, etc. the internet can be chaos or overly strict.

I guess what I don't understand is why Republicans seem to think it's just fine for major news organizations like Foxnews to be biased in favor of Republicans, but somehow if they think that Facebook or Twitter is acting in biased manner against Republicans (not that they necessarily are mind you), that somehow it's "cancel culture" and it's wrong and they shouldn't be allowed to do it.

It seems like Republicans want to have their cake and eat it too. Their complaints seem hypocritical to me, not to mention baseless. Twitter simply prohibits violent content and blatant disinformation, and Trump violated their rules repeatedly. It's no mystery as to why his account was *eventually* suspended, and it's clear that he wasn't treated any differently than anyone else.

I guess Republicans think it's fine to lie repeatedly and incite violence on Twitter as long as it's Republicans that are doing it. They want to take away Twitter's rights to moderate their website content as they see fit.

Upvote 0

Dryskale

Itchy, itchy
Nov 1, 2012
✟25,302.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess what I don't understand is why Republicans seem to think it's just fine for major news organizations like Foxnews to be biased in favor of Republicans, but somehow if they think that Facebook or Twitter is acting in biased manner against Republicans (not that they necessarily are mind you), that somehow it's "cancel culture" and it's wrong and they shouldn't be allowed to do it.

It seems like Republicans want to have their cake and eat it too. Their complaints seem hypocritical to me, not to mention baseless. Twitter simply prohibits violent content and blatant disinformation, and Trump violated their rules repeatedly. It's no mystery as to why his account was *eventually* suspended, and it's clear that he wasn't treated any differently than anyone else.

I guess Republicans think it's fine to lie repeatedly and incite violence on Twitter as long as it's Republicans that are doing it. They want to take away Twitter's rights to moderate their website content as they see fit.
Its not just Republicans. I have gone through a couple shifts in Facebook, youtube, etc. The cycle tends to be that a site or platform is a free for all until a major incident or buyout occurs. Then behavior that didn't get monitored is suddenly curbed.

Facebook and Twitter were mostly free for all sites until recently so now people not used to being told no on the internet are getting hit hard. Mix that with people that tended to gravitate towards Trump (privileged middle class white people) who usually never get vibe checked. So yeah. Its the first time falling off the trike so to speak.

• Agree
Reactions: Michael
Upvote 0