GOP seeks revenge on Major League Baseball.

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Well you see there is this book we call the Bible it outlines rules for Christians. One of those rules is do not let the names of pagan deities such as Allah, Shiva etc. cross their lips this extends to not promoting pagan religions..

I'm not sure how that translates to not baking bar mitzvah cakes.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
They get to choose who to do business with, same as MLB gets to choose what state their league plays in. Right?

The proper analogy would be for MLB to refuse to sell tickets to Jews.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Well you see there is this book we call the Bible it outlines rules for Christians. One of those rules is do not let the names of pagan deities such as Allah, Shiva etc. cross their lips this extends to not promoting pagan religions.
Not long ago a barbecue business in Washington state, I think, was sued by a family of Muslims who had moved in behind them because the smell of cooking pork offended them.
'Allah" is just the Arabic word for God. Christians in Arabic-speaking countries use it. Are they doomed?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
And get paid millions of dollars for it?

You can get paid to play baseball all over the world. The most successful leagues pay the most.

You got a problem with success?

The MLB, blessed by the 1922 Supreme Court.

And blessed by Congress, in exchange for regular campaign contributions... which MLB suspended after the 1/6 insurrection.

There are plenty of companies protesting the Georgia law... but the GOP's only going after the one who's not paying them off anymore.

Let that be a lesson -- you don't have to give 'till it hurts, but if you don't give, they will hurt you.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
'Allah" is just the Arabic word for God. Christians in Arabic-speaking countries use it. Are they doomed?
I didn't write the Bible if you have questions about it maybe you should talk to the author.
Exodus 23:13
13 And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth.
Joshua 23:7
7 That ye come not among these nations, these that remain among you; neither make mention of the name of their gods, nor cause to swear by them, neither serve them, nor bow yourselves unto them:
Exodus 3:14-15
14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD [יהוה] God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.
Why would God tell Moses Yhwh is my name forever and a memorial to all generations then 2000 years later tell an itinerant Bedouin His name was Allah.
YHWH is the 3d person singular of ehyeh, I am, i.e. He is. Allah means "the god."

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I didn't write the Bible if you have questions about it maybe you should talk to the author.
Exodus 23:13
13 And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth.
Joshua 23:7
7 That ye come not among these nations, these that remain among you; neither make mention of the name of their gods, nor cause to swear by them, neither serve them, nor bow yourselves unto them:
Exodus 3:14-15
14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD [יהוה] God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.
Why would God tell Moses Yhwh is my name forever and a memorial to all generations then 2000 years later tell an itinerant Bedouin His name was Allah.
YHWH is the 3d person singular of ehyeh, I am, i.e. He is. Allah means "the god."
That doesn't prove anything. The Muslims use the same Old Testament as Christians. Plus the Synoptics.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That doesn't prove anything. The Muslims use the same Old Testament as Christians. Plus the Synoptics.
Rubbish.
The attitude of Muslims toward the Bible is enigmatic, to say the least. On the one hand, the Qur'an speaks very highly of the "Taurah" (Torah), the "Zabur" (Psalms) and the "Injil" (Gospel) as Scriptures revealed to Moses, David and Jesus respectively. It calls them "Books of God," describing them as a "sign," a "light," a "guidance," or a "mercy," and exhorts Muslims to read and live by them. Muslims therefore profess to believe in "all the Prophets and all the Scriptures." At the same time, however, they dismiss the Bible as being invalid and untrustworthy. Muslims explain this inconsistency by charging that the present Bible is not the same as the Scriptures referred to in the Qur'an; they claim that the text has become so "corrupted" that the original Scriptures must be considered lost.
https://www1.cbn.com/onlinediscipleship/what-is-the-muslim-view-of-the-bible

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Much as I am utterly wowed by your insightful rebuttal, I'd still like to know which other companies are being targeted by Senate Republicans.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Rubbish.
The attitude of Muslims toward the Bible is enigmatic, to say the least. On the one hand, the Qur'an speaks very highly of the "Taurah" (Torah), the "Zabur" (Psalms) and the "Injil" (Gospel) as Scriptures revealed to Moses, David and Jesus respectively. It calls them "Books of God," describing them as a "sign," a "light," a "guidance," or a "mercy," and exhorts Muslims to read and live by them. Muslims therefore profess to believe in "all the Prophets and all the Scriptures." At the same time, however, they dismiss the Bible as being invalid and untrustworthy. Muslims explain this inconsistency by charging that the present Bible is not the same as the Scriptures referred to in the Qur'an; they claim that the text has become so "corrupted" that the original Scriptures must be considered lost.
https://www1.cbn.com/onlinediscipleship/what-is-the-muslim-view-of-the-bible
And Christians don't have the "original autographs" either, they just claim to have a better copy. But as interesting a subject as that is, it doesn't address your claim that Christians living in Arabic-speaking countries are going to Hell for using the Arabic word for God.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And Christians don't have the "original autographs" either, they just claim to have a better copy.
Not relevant to the discussion.
But as interesting a subject as that is, it doesn't address your claim that Christians living in Arabic-speaking countries are going to Hell for using the Arabic word for God.
You keep accusing me of saying something. I did not say it I quoted scripture if you have a problem with what the Bible says maybe you should try talking to the author.
What I think happens in Muslim countries is Christians might use "Allah" when they might be overheard by staunch Muslims but in private life they avoid it because it IS the name of a pagan deity.
I met some medical missionaries on home leave in the 90s. I will not ID the country. My church at the time had previously had an Arabic Christian group meeting in the facilities.
They left behind some boxes of Arabic Bibles. I offered the Bibles to the missionaries they were ecstatic. They said they couldn't keep enough Bibles on hand. People, on pain of death, would sneak up to the clinic at night and ask for "The Book" which is what the Bible is called in the Quran.
When people wanted to be baptized they would go out into the desert and find a stream or pond post guards and baptize. Or they would construct a temporary baptismal on the roof of the clinic.
They had to smuggle Bible in hidden in bags of grain, beans etc.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Much as I am utterly wowed by your insightful rebuttal, I'd still like to know which other companies are being targeted by Senate Republicans.
Protesting is one thing. It is entirely another to do things like MLB did to Georgia destroying the livelihoods of 100s of people.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Not relevant to the discussion.

You keep accusing me of saying something. I did not say it I quoted scripture if you have a problem with what the Bible says maybe you should try talking to the author.
What I think happens in Muslim countries is Christians might use "Allah" when they might be overheard by staunch Muslims but in private life they avoid it because it IS the name of a pagan deity.
I met some medical missionaries on home leave in the 90s. I will not ID the country. My church at the time had previously had an Arabic Christian group meeting in the facilities.
They left behind some boxes of Arabic Bibles. I offered the Bibles to the missionaries they were ecstatic. They said they couldn't keep enough Bibles on hand. People, on pain of death, would sneak up to the clinic at night and ask for "The Book" which is what the Bible is called in the Quran.
When people wanted to be baptized they would go out into the desert and find a stream or pond post guards and baptize. Or they would construct a temporary baptismal on the roof of the clinic.
They had to smuggle Bible in hidden in bags of grain, beans etc.
Interesting. And laudable. But what word did those Arabic Bibles use for God? Never mind; this is all completely off-topic.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting. And laudable. But what word did those Arabic Bibles use for God? Never mind; this is all completely off-topic.
When I gave the Bibles to the missionaries I told them that "Allah" الله
was used for God in the Bibles. I had checked. The wife said "We can work with that."
I almost gave the occupations of the husband and wife but deleted it because that information might put the missionaries in danger.

• Friendly
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Protesting is one thing. It is entirely another to do things like MLB did to Georgia destroying the livelihoods of 100s of people.

And saved the livelihoods of 100s of people in Colorado.

How come you don't care about them?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,545.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The proper analogy would be for MLB to refuse to sell tickets to Jews.

Speaking of that. Back in 1965 the typical rotation would mean a pitcher could pitch games 1,4 and 7 or a series. But Sandy Kofax declined to pitch game 1 of the world series because it fell on Yom Kippur.

The Dodgers at lesat respected his decision.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,545.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Actually not. It is like Coke being used as the word for a cola drink. It is originally the name of a specific God which has come to be used generically.

To me that means the intent determines just what it means

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Actually not. It is like Coke being used as the word for a cola drink. It is originally the name of a specific God which has come to be used generically.

To me that means the intent determines just what it means
And I think you would find that Christians in Arabic-speaking regions called God "Allah" long before the Muslims showed up. It derives from "El" or "Eloah" the root word for God common to all Semitic languages, including Hebrew.

Last edited:
Upvote 0