Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Passover begins earlier than the day of sacrifice by having all yeast removed from the house - that includes wine yeast. Only juice was served at Passover.
Apparently the Jews have failed to get the memo, then. From

Viz:
Question:
Why is it permitted to drink wine on Passover when it is fermented with yeast? Isn't yeast forbidden on Passover?
Answer:
Of the hundreds of species of yeast, the Passover prohibition only applies to yeast which is a product of one of the following five grains: wheat, barley, oat, spelt, or rye. Yeast which is the product of grapes, or its sugars, is not considered chametz (leavened food).
Click here for more about chametz.

Looks like y'all may be out-Heroding Herod here.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"The wine that the disciples drank at the Last Supper was un-fermented grape Juice because during the Passover leaven or yeast was strictly forbidden as it was a symbol of sin.
As noted in my previous post, that simply isn't true. Wine yeast is not considered "leaven", probably because it isn't. Not hard to find out; if you want to fnd out what Jews believe, ask one or more Jews.
“On the fourteenth day of the first month at twilight is the Lord’s Passover.And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the Feast of Unleavened Bread to the Lord; seven days you must eat unleavened bread” (Leviticus 23:5-6).​
Nary a word about wine. No beer, though.

Are SdAs teetotal?

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,530.00
Faith
Non-Denom
As noted in my previous post, that simply isn't true. Wine yeast is not considered "leaven", probably because it isn't. Not hard to find out; if you want to fnd out what Jews believe, ask one or more Jews.

Nary a word about wine. No beer, though.

Are SdAs teetotal?
Yep, the SDA carries on the teetotal abstinence banner along with a highly-recommended vegetarian diet.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Viz:
Question:
Why is it permitted to drink wine on Passover when it is fermented with yeast? Isn't yeast forbidden on Passover?
Answer:
Of the hundreds of species of yeast, the Passover prohibition only applies to yeast which is a product of one of the following five grains: wheat, barley, oat, spelt, or rye. Yeast which is the product of grapes, or its sugars, is not considered chametz (leavened food).

Yeast is not a PRODUCT of grains or grapes. Yeast is used to metabolize/ferment the grain or grape sugars to produce alcohol. Alcohol is the PRODUCT produced...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,967.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Viz:
Question:
Answer:

I don't recall any mention of yeast in the context of wine anywhere in the Scriptures. Did the Hebrews understand that it was the same family of organisms in wine fermentation that caused bread dough to rise?

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,788.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't recall any mention of yeast in the context of wine anywhere in the Scriptures. Did the Hebrews understand that it was the same family of organisms in wine fermentation that caused bread dough to rise?
Ancient Israelites were not noted for their advanced application of the scientific method, nor for advanced optics with which to construct microscopes, nor for their profound biological knowledge. It may be safe to think that they did not know very much about the causes of wine's fermentation. :)

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,530.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Ancient Israelites were not noted for their advanced application of the scientific method, nor for advanced optics with which to construct microscopes, nor for their profound biological knowledge. It may be safe to think that they did not know very much about the causes of wine's fermentation. :)
That is the primary reason that various attempts to view the Bible as a scientific treatise have failed.

Reactions: Jipsah
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
As noted in my previous post, that simply isn't true. Wine yeast is not considered "leaven", probably because it isn't.
Ancient Israel did not allow it on Passover no matter how a Catholic might treat that same restriction

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeast is not a PRODUCT of grains or grapes. Yeast is used to metabolize/ferment the grain or grape sugars to produce alcohol. Alcohol is the PRODUCT produced...
OK, I can go with what you say Jews believe, or what Jews say Jews believe. Hmmm... decisions, decisions...

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ancient Israel did not allow it on Passover no matter how a Catholic might treat that same restriction
I got it from a Jewish site, not a Catholic one. Maybe you ought to go there and square 'em away. In the meantime, I can go with what you say Jews believe, or what Jews say Jews believe. Hmmm... decisions, decisions...

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pretty cool. My mother-in-law used to make wine from wild strawberries. she put sugar in it but no yeast. Not bad for homemade. She made about a half gallon at a time, because it took a lot of those little tiny wild strawberries.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FWIW, Chabad.org on the subject of grape juice during Passover (Italics mine):

Grape juice may be used at the Seder, if one cannot drink wine. That being said, it is not ideal since it does not represent freedom as wine does, but at least you have fulfilled the basic obligation of the four cups. Even if you cannot drink wine, it would be best if you can add just a little wine to the mix.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
FWIW, Chabad.org on the subject of grape juice during Passover (Italics mine):

Grape juice may be used at the Seder, if one cannot drink wine. That being said, it is not ideal since it does not represent freedom as wine does, but at least you have fulfilled the basic obligation of the four cups. Even if you cannot drink wine, it would be best if you can add just a little wine to the mix.

When I worked for an Israeli company, we always had bottles of wine in the fridge. Mezzuzahs were on every office door as well.

Reactions: Jipsah
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,967.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Try making wine without it.
drax-the-destroyer-dave-bautista.gif

A pity you aren't as fast as Drax.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
OK, I can go with what you say Jews believe, or what Jews say Jews believe. Hmmm... decisions, decisions...
What on earth are you talking about lol? How alcohol is produced is what I posted...has nothing to do with religion...

Upvote 0