God's Wrath ~~ do you believe this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Ceridwen

In a chapter entitled "God the Judge" from his book Knowing God, J.I. Packer makes a statement about the nature of God's conduct:
Retribution
From what has been said, it becomes clear that the Bible's proclamation of God's work as Judge is part of its witness to his character. It confirms what is said elsewhere of his moral perfection, his righteousness and justice, his wisdom, omniscience and omnipotence. It shows us also that the heart of the justice which expresses God's nature is retribution, the rendering to persons what they have deserved; for this is the essence of the judge's task. To reward good with good, and evil with evil, is natural to God.

J. I. Packer, Knowing God (Downers Grove, Ill.: InterVarsity Press, 1993), p. 142 (emphasis and bolding in original).
I was wondering if you guys believe what J.I. Packer says here, especially the last sentence. Do you guys believe that God ever rewards evil with evil as Packer says? What does it mean for God to give evil? Thanks for considering this question!

breakfastclub17

Apr 17, 2007
✟7,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In a chapter entitled "God the Judge" from his book Knowing God, J.I. Packer makes a statement about the nature of God's conduct:
Retribution
From what has been said, it becomes clear that the Bible's proclamation of God's work as Judge is part of its witness to his character. It confirms what is said elsewhere of his moral perfection, his righteousness and justice, his wisdom, omniscience and omnipotence. It shows us also that the heart of the justice which expresses God's nature is retribution, the rendering to persons what they have deserved; for this is the essence of the judge's task. To reward good with good, and evil with evil, is natural to God.

J. I. Packer, Knowing God (Downers Grove, Ill.: InterVarsity Press, 1993), p. 142 (emphasis and bolding in original).
I was wondering if you guys believe what J.I. Packer says here, especially the last sentence. Do you guys believe that God ever rewards evil with evil as Packer says? What does it mean for God to give evil? Thanks for considering this question!

I would have to disagree.

God does not commit evil nor does he create it.(I think James 1:13 explains part of it)

I do believe however, he can take away his grace from you.(I.E, if you are always giving into a sin, and forsaking God. God can take away his Holy Spirit's voice away from you, and let you have what you desire. Basically "you truly want it, you can have it".)

So he doesn't commit evil, but he can take away his grace and provision.(Also, he can justly punish people. Luke 13)

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
"24Therefore hath the LORD recompensed me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in his eyesight. 25With the merciful thou wilt shew thyself merciful; with an upright man thou wilt shew thyself upright; 26With the pure thou wilt shew thyself pure; and with the froward thou wilt shew thyself froward." Ps. 18:24-26

Pretty simple.

Upvote 0

breakfastclub17

Apr 17, 2007
✟7,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would have to disagree.

God does not commit evil nor does he create it.(I think James 1:13 explains part of it)

I do believe however, he can take away his grace from you.(I.E, if you are always giving into a sin, and forsaking God. God can take away his Holy Spirit's voice away from you, and let you have what you desire. Basically "you truly want it, you can have it".)

So he doesn't commit evil, but he can take away his grace and provision.(Also, he can justly punish people. Luke 13)
Also, I didn't explain this to the best I could have, so I may have to post again.

Upvote 0

HisdaughterJen

Mar 8, 2007
this side of eternity
✟18,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Deu 30:19This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live

If you choose God's way, you automatically are blessed. If you choose the opposite, you reap nothing but curses.

Gal 6:7Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Retribution

In short

Its a righteous thing that God recompense and I do see Him doing this in the earth (into ones bosom)

Anguish and tribulation upon every soul of man that doeth evil, for the Jew first and then Gentile.

A Spirit of judgment is measured as I see it.

Peace

Fireinfolding

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Ah, just thought of something.

He probably should have put it more like this "To reward good with good, and evil with justice, is natural to God.
Probably. And J.I. Packer isn't stupid, I'm sure if you pressed him, he'd agree.

"Rewards good things with good things, bad things with bad things."

And please, no one correct the man that God is a forgiving God. He's a Calvinist theologian- he of all people knows that nothing we do merits the grace of God.

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2004
✟9,548.00
Faith
Baptist
Evil can be a loaded word. God will never cause calamity to someone, unless it is righteous. See, the difference between God and Satan is that God mets out justice and Satan mets out injustice. So both can cause a form of harm, except Satan's isn't justified. So although this was probably not the clearest set of terms, I think it's quite accurate.

Upvote 0

GodsChild07

Jun 20, 2007
California
✟1,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Retribution

It is based on a literal interpretation of scripture. No, I don't believe it and I don't take the entire Bible literally either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heres a few examples of evil as it pertains to the Lord

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Job 2:10 But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.

1Sam 16:14 But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him.

Peace

Fireinfolding

Upvote 0

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Heres a few examples of evil as it pertains to the Lord

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
:thumbsup: That should put to rest any misconceptions about God's role for evil in this world.

Upvote 0
C

Ceridwen

superman1.jpg

Awesome thread! Great answers so far, let's keep them coming. What's your view?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
S

SpiritDriven

No one speaks and it comes to pass, unless the Lord has commanded it. It is from the mouth of the Most High that both good and evil go forth. No living mortal, or any man, should offer complaint in view of his sins (Lam. 3:37-39).

All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, but He does according to His will in the Host of heaven and among the inhabitants of earth; and no one can ward off His hand or say to Him, "What hast Thou done" (Daniel 4:35).

When the earth experiences God’s judgments, the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness (Isaiah 26:9).

Note! for the purpose of learning righteousness...so as to become a part of it.

The Lord will not reject forever, for if He causes grief, then He will have compassion according to His abundant lovingkindness (Lam. 3:31).

Note. The result of learning righteousness

All nations whom the Lord hast made shall come and worship before Him; and they shall glorify His name (Psalms 86:9).

Note, for the purpose of this end result.

Peace

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Retribution

God is LOVE, not justice.

Upvote 0

FenderElctrc

JESUS IS AWESOME!!
Sep 20, 2006
Gotta keep it secret
Visit site
✟17,089.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Psalm 7:11-13:
11 God is a just judge,
And God is angry with the wicked every day.
12 If he does not turn back,
He will sharpen His sword;
He bends His bow and makes it ready.
13 He also prepares for Himself instruments of death;
He makes His arrows into fiery shafts.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.